Have you thought about switching to pc gaming because of this long gen?

• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Back when Xbox was out it seemed like the gen went by like super fast. It hurts everytime I hear Ms or Sony say their next-gen console wont come out anytime soon. Its been like 6 years going on 7 years now. I just want some better graphics.

Alienware x51 came out recently and im gonna buy that. Its pretty much at the graphics level I want. I just want to play games at 1080p. Im buying the $699 model then will upgrade in 2 years. It also looks like an upgradable next-gen Xbox.

No longer can I wait for the next-gen Xbox to come out.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52452 Posts

Not really.

There's a lot of stuff coming out that'll keep me busy.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

Well, I've got a gaming PC, although it's not a high-end one. Anyway, I'm still completely happy with the current consoles' graphics. I'm playing Skyrim on the 360 at the moment. Absolutely beautiful.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

Good for you that you get to partake in all the awesome PC games :D

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Join a community that detests me? Yeah, I'll get right on that.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I got tired of consoles last year so I got into PC gaming. The thought of going back to consoles only is not even a viable option for me at this juncture

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BPoole96

Join a community that detests me? Yeah, I'll get right on that.lowe0

SW =/= the world

I'm sure there are people out there that would like you

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"]Join a community that detests me? Yeah, I'll get right on that.BPoole96

SW =/= the world

Lol SW turns into suicide help line.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"]Join a community that detests me? Yeah, I'll get right on that.Eponique

SW =/= the world

Here to help :cool:

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"]Join a community that detests me? Yeah, I'll get right on that.BPoole96

SW =/= the world

I'm not thinking of System Wars necessarily. Go look at the comments on posts at Blue's News, for instance - plenty of examples of how PC gamers think console gamers are subhumans who are ruining gaming.

Lol SW turns into suicide help line.Eponique

:question: I'm just fine. I'm merely stating that for a platform that relies so heavily on its community, I find it to be a pretty significant net drawback.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="Eponique"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

SW =/= the world

BPoole96

Here to help :cool:

Ok what equipment do you have in your house I can give you advice onwhat to kill yourself with :P

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
man you really are full of it. since when does the PC gamers of system wars = every single PC game community?
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"]Join a community that detests me? Yeah, I'll get right on that.lowe0

SW =/= the world

I'm not thinking of System Wars necessarily. Go look at the comments on posts at Blue's News, for instance - plenty of examples of how PC gamers think console gamers are subhumans who are ruining gaming.

Do they act like this when they're playing a game online?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lawlessx

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

SW =/= the world

NoodleFighter

Of course..me and the rest of the guys that play Red Orchestra always take the time to talk about how much better we are than console only gamers :roll:
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"]Join a community that detests me? Yeah, I'll get right on that.lowe0

SW =/= the world

Who cares what they say on the internet? When you're playing a PC game do you think they can just sniff out a console gamer and ridicule them?

I have only been playing on PC for about a year (played consoles all my life) and have never had an issue with another player. You know where I have had countless problems with communities? On consoles. Kill someone in Dark Souls, instantly get hate mail, own someone in an FPS, gets death threats and get called a homosexual, and so on.

From my experiences on both platforms. PC Communities >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Console Communities

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

SW =/= the world

NoodleFighter

No, they find other ways of being unpleasant. The other day, I figured I'd play a bit of Mass Effect 3 in order to raise my EMS before trying the ending... I was a shade under 3k, so I figured a match or two would do the trick. Couldn't get a game, because I kept getting kicked for being a level 1. Apparently playing with me is just too much pain for you guys to bear. Then there was the time I was getting **** out over chat for not reviving... never mind that I didn't have the defibrilator unlocked. And before you blame me, I don't make a sound while playing unless I have something important and relevant to say, like "there's someone behind you." Don't bother trying to tell me I brought it on myself, because I'm literally just an entry on the scoreboard.

NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

I actually think the long gen has helped console gaming imo.:?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lawlessx

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] I'm not thinking of System Wars necessarily. Go look at the comments on posts at Blue's News, for instance - plenty of examples of how PC gamers think console gamers are subhumans who are ruining gaming.lowe0

No, they find other ways of being unpleasant. The other day, I figured I'd play a bit of Mass Effect 3 in order to raise my EMS before trying the ending... I was a shade under 3k, so I figured a match or two would do the trick. Couldn't get a game, because I kept getting kicked for being a level 1. Apparently playing with me is just too much pain for you guys to bear. Then there was the time I was getting **** out over chat for not reviving... never mind that I didn't have the defibrilator unlocked. And before you blame me, I don't make a sound while playing unless I have something important and relevant to say, like "there's someone behind you." Don't bother trying to tell me I brought it on myself, because I'm literally just an entry on the scoreboard.

oh get over yourself:|

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"]

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

lawlessx

Feel free to explain what I said or did wrong in those instances.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

No but this gen I did get back into PC gaming. I used to game on PCs in the 90s and early 00s But I quit I started again in 2010.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

No. My PC is for work and my console is for gaming.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Why switch when you can play on Console and PC?, hell I even have a 3DS that made me into a HH lover. You'd be missing out on waaaaaaaay to many games if you only stuck to one console or just a PC.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

To expensive and software sucks

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lawlessx

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] No, they find other ways of being unpleasant. The other day, I figured I'd play a bit of Mass Effect 3 in order to raise my EMS before trying the ending... I was a shade under 3k, so I figured a match or two would do the trick. Couldn't get a game, because I kept getting kicked for being a level 1. Apparently playing with me is just too much pain for you guys to bear. Then there was the time I was getting **** out over chat for not reviving... never mind that I didn't have the defibrilator unlocked. And before you blame me, I don't make a sound while playing unless I have something important and relevant to say, like "there's someone behind you." Don't bother trying to tell me I brought it on myself, because I'm literally just an entry on the scoreboard.

lowe0

Only thing you did wrong was take getting kicked and hated in a video game personal. What's even worse is you seem to under the impression that such players are exclusive to PC gaming communities.

Wake up..the internet is a very cruel place..

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
No need to switch if you're lucky enough to own them all.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

dontshackzmii

Nope

wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wewantdoom4now
Member since 2012 • 1792 Posts

Back when Xbox was out it seemed like the gen went by like super fast. It hurts everytime I hear Ms or Sony say their next-gen console wont come out anytime soon. Its been like 6 years going on 7 years now. I just want some better graphics.

Alienware x51 came out recently and im gonna buy that. Its pretty much at the graphics level I want. I just want to play games at 1080p. Im buying the $699 model then will upgrade in 2 years. It also looks like an upgradable next-gen Xbox.

slipknot0129
gaming in general has slowed down cough casual game focus cough
wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wewantdoom4now

dontshackzmii
then dont post on forums
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] No, they find other ways of being unpleasant. The other day, I figured I'd play a bit of Mass Effect 3 in order to raise my EMS before trying the ending... I was a shade under 3k, so I figured a match or two would do the trick. Couldn't get a game, because I kept getting kicked for being a level 1. Apparently playing with me is just too much pain for you guys to bear. Then there was the time I was getting **** out over chat for not reviving... never mind that I didn't have the defibrilator unlocked. And before you blame me, I don't make a sound while playing unless I have something important and relevant to say, like "there's someone behind you." Don't bother trying to tell me I brought it on myself, because I'm literally just an entry on the scoreboard.

lowe0

- take too long to set up your guns/perks - play bad - play in a lobby over bronze difficulty
wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wewantdoom4now

gamespot websites running off ps3's and wiis not computers

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lowe0

Only thing you did wrong was take getting kicked and hated in a video game personal. What's even worse is you seem to under the impression that such players are exclusive to PC gaming communities.

lawlessx

In the entire time I've had Live (dating back to MechAssault), I've had one bad experience (a kid singing U2's Vertigo during a one-on-one, which is offensive for being such an awful song) and been kicked once (bad connection, and the host even apologized before doing it!) I remember when the PC community was that good as well... around 1998 or so.

- take too long to set up your guns/perks - play bad - play in a lobby over bronze difficultywis3boi

I setup my loadout from the character screen on the main menu before joining a game. I looked it over and readied up immediately upon joining.

I never actually made it into a match without being kicked, so I'd love to know what you mean by "play bad" - by all means, tell me, this oughta be good.

I clicked the join a match button; it never prompted me for difficulty. Surely people shouldn't be kicked for following the default use case?

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
no..games constantly get released. I am never short of a game to play and if i did build a pc again...all i would play is cs 1.6 again lol
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts
I play games on the PC every now and again already anyway. Some times I'd like for new consoles to hurry up and release, but when I'm playing through a game and liking it, I don't find myself wanting any new systems because I'm enjoying the game I'm playing on a system that I already have. And there's definitely no shortage of great games to play. And when I feel anxious about wanting new hardware, I'll find a game on a system I already own and play through it. If it's enjoyable, then I forget about future systems and just enjoy what I already have.
Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

slipknot0129

Nah, I still have games to play.

Not interested in the plethora of RTS/FPS/MMO games on PC. And buying a second computer to play "teh consolized" games I can already play on my console isn't gonna happen.

Don't really give a s**t about graphics. Also, the FG community for PC is pretty much nonexistent.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

I never played on PC until this gen, and now that I have I find it incredibly crappy compared to playing on a console. Worse default controls, buggier games, problematic compatibility issues, and an overall sense of cheapness in regards to its heavy hitter games.

No, I will try to avoid spending any more money on PC games in the future, as they might as well all be flash games for how much fun they are to play on PC.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts
I've always been a PC gamer first and foremost.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

lol alienware.

Idontremember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Idontremember
Member since 2003 • 965 Posts

You will be severely dissapointed with the X51.
With the £¢¤¢¬£¢¬ PSU, forget about upgrades, that thing will die unless you keep constantly using low power consumptiom gpus.
Better go for a real desktop that is NOT Alienware. Their current line-up is horrible. The X51, the Gpu is problematic, and the rest, well, you have to go for a X79 cpu and waste your money.

As for if I switched, well I needed a new PC in 2008 and had the money to go big... My xbox was killing me because of the exceptionnaly crappy built quality and the low performance was really getting on my nerve(especially with my beloved Mass Effect), and I wanted to play Crysis too. Considering a PC is used for everything, even without gaming, it still would have been usefull to me to get a tank.

BEST INVESTMENT EVER and timing to upgrade. I got an I7 cpu the same week it was launched on the market, sure it was expensive at the time, but worth every single dollar.
It's still the exact same PC I have in my sig, excepts for the SSD and the video card. And with the rumors of the next consoles, well, I doubt I'll have to upgrade for a very long time.
The only problem now is I seriously can't play on a console without wanting to go beserk because it is just sooooooooooo outdated.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

na its not all about graphics ya know...

nismo8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nismo8000
Member since 2007 • 1000 Posts

slipknot0129
wtf is the gtx5552? i can't find any benchmarks for it. or anything at all other than alienware ads.
nismo8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nismo8000
Member since 2007 • 1000 Posts
the butthurt is strong with this one.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lowe0
[QUOTE="lowe0"]Join a community that detests me? Yeah, I'll get right on that.nismo8000
the butthurt is strong with this one.

I was a PC gamer for over ten years. If I were really jealous, wouldn't I have just remained one?
WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#44 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts

I like the fact that this gen has been so long. Console graphics don't look particularly dated either.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

lowe0

In the entire time I've had Live (dating back to MechAssault), I've had one bad experience (a kid singing U2's Vertigo during a one-on-one, which is offensive for being such an awful song) and been kicked once (bad connection, and the host even apologized before doing it!) I remember when the PC community was that good as well... around 1998 or so.

- take too long to set up your guns/perks - play bad - play in a lobby over bronze difficultywis3boi

I setup my loadout from the character screen on the main menu before joining a game. I looked it over and readied up immediately upon joining.

I never actually made it into a match without being kicked, so I'd love to know what you mean by "play bad" - by all means, tell me, this oughta be good.

I clicked the join a match button; it never prompted me for difficulty. Surely people shouldn't be kicked for following the default use case?

you can choose what type of match you want to be sorted into, that's probably your issue. Seems like you'll whine about anything just to pick on PC gamers
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"] you can choose what type of match you want to be sorted into, that's probably your issue. Seems like you'll whine about anything just to pick on PC gamers

He acts like console gamers are angels. When I used to play Halo 2 on the Xbox I couldn't go 10 seconds without hearing some kid regurgitate a slew of offensive lines at me or others.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"] you can choose what type of match you want to be sorted into, that's probably your issue. Seems like you'll whine about anything just to pick on PC gamersRyviusARC
He acts like console gamers are angels. When I used to play Halo 2 on the Xbox I couldn't go 10 seconds without hearing some kid regurgitate a slew of offensive lines at me or others.

You can mute your tv, unlike PC games you would have to ether mute your mic/sound or chat options (general chat,guild chat,lobby chat ect ect). Really wish the MMO,RTS and Moba communities weren't **** on PC.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#48 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49596 Posts

I thought and did it over a decade ago. Never regretted it since. :P

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lowe0
[QUOTE="RyviusARC"][QUOTE="wis3boi"] you can choose what type of match you want to be sorted into, that's probably your issue. Seems like you'll whine about anything just to pick on PC gamers

If that's been your experience, then I recommend against console gaming for you.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 NoodleFighter

You will be severely dissapointed with the X51.
With the £¢¤¢¬£¢¬ PSU, forget about upgrades, that thing will die unless you keep constantly using low power consumptiom gpus.
Better go for a real desktop that is NOT Alienware. Their current line-up is horrible. The X51, the Gpu is problematic, and the rest, well, you have to go for a X79 cpu and waste your money.

As for if I switched, well I needed a new PC in 2008 and had the money to go big... My xbox was killing me because of the exceptionnaly crappy built quality and the low performance was really getting on my nerve(especially with my beloved Mass Effect), and I wanted to play Crysis too. Considering a PC is used for everything, even without gaming, it still would have been usefull to me to get a tank.

BEST INVESTMENT EVER and timing to upgrade. I got an I7 cpu the same week it was launched on the market, sure it was expensive at the time, but worth every single dollar.
It's still the exact same PC I have in my sig, excepts for the SSD and the video card. And with the rumors of the next consoles, well, I doubt I'll have to upgrade for a very long time.
The only problem now is I seriously can't play on a console without wanting to go beserk because it is just sooooooooooo outdated.

Idontremember

The is the HD 7950 is a low power consuming GPU because it can take it? Have you even looked at the TDP of GPUs? And with the way things are going I guess the next gen top of the line Nvidia card will be able to run stable on that PSU since the GTX 680 is already a lot more effecient than the GTX 580 and Gamespot already tested a GTX 680 with it and had a bunch of stability issues. None of the CPUs it use are X79 if you're gonna bash something at least do some research.