Haters of Super Smash Bros Melee = Owned

• 136 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts
http://www.evo2k.com/

For those who stated that Smash Bros Melee is a fighting game without any depth or skill, this is for you. Melee is now part of Evo 2k7.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Evo Championship series, it's pretty much the biggest fighting game championship series in North America. Other entries to the list include: Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, Virtua Fighter 5, Tekken 5: DR, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Guilty Gear XX Slash and Capcom vs SNK 2.

I figure I'd give a positive Smash related thread to balance off my other negative Smash thread. :)
MaTT2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MaTT2011
Member since 2005 • 3949 Posts
W00T! i've always argued, quite effectively, that SSB was THE SINGLE MOST DEEP fighting game on the market......thats not to say there are not similarly deep fighting games but none that utilized the depth that SSB did. Fighting in SSB is about anticipating your opponnents movements and attacks and then responding with rythm and intelligence. Im glad SSB is getting the credit it deserves; i've never played a more brutal, fast paced and devastating game in my life.
Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Dragonblade01
Member since 2004 • 5747 Posts
i like brawl and think that it will be an excellent game, but i got destracted by street fighter 3: 3rd strike, guilty gear xx slash, and capcom vs snk 2 (i love 2d fighters)
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
I love SSBM, it's a fantastic game. However, it is not deep at all. The fact that it is going to Evo means that it is popular and they want more publicity. I know I know, just my opinion.
lzorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 lzorro
Member since 2006 • 7395 Posts
I heart SSB :oops:
Stabby2486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Stabby2486
Member since 2006 • 6688 Posts

I love SSBM, it's a fantastic game. However, it is not deep at all. The fact that it is going to Evo means that it is popular and they want more publicity. I know I know, just my opinion. Ibacai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkyNXdPiUjA   

Looks very deep to me.

MaTT2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MaTT2011
Member since 2005 • 3949 Posts
I love SSBM, it's a fantastic game. However, it is not deep at all. The fact that it is going to Evo means that it is popular and they want more publicity. I know I know, just my opinion. Ibacai
Thats a valid opinion; but what indicates to you that SSB is "popular" ? Halo is popular, FF is popular........why? Because of intense sales figures and name brand recognition...........but SSB? I think thats a series that could be classified as underground. If SSB is so popular then why did N64 and GC sell so poorly? If SSB where a popular as you claim, that it could override a sever lack of gameplay depth, than wouldnt the sales of those systems be vastly larger? Dont take my questioning as hostile or anything like that; i just think its a subject worth discussing in some depth and these questions could get us there.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Redmoonxl2

If Evo wanted publicity, they would be holding Halo/Gears of War Tournies.
Onetouchable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Onetouchable
Member since 2006 • 315 Posts

honestly, it's plenty deep...if you're good.
Rob2223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Rob2223
Member since 2006 • 7524 Posts
i loved SSB, but i hate SSB: M.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
Cool, I can't wait for SSBB online. I'm not one to go to tournaments but that's cool to know. SSBM is a really deep fighting game, and those who don't know have probably never played it to the level of a real competition battle.
Avatar image for Jin_the_samurai
Jin_the_samurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jin_the_samurai
Member since 2006 • 623 Posts
I usually hate fighting games, I think they are repetitive, boring, etc.... but SSB is the only one I like, I spent tons of hours playing SSB and SSBM with my friends and had a great time. Currently SSBB is my most anticipated Wii title.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
I heart SSB :oops:lzorro
I bloody heart it!
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yoshi_64
i loved SSB, but i hate SSB: M.Rob2223
I can't understand that, but it's your opinion. In my honest opinion, SSBM just trashes the original SSB. SSB was too slow paced compared to SSBM, SSBM had more characters and the older ones were better balanced now, there are a whole lot of new moves to do like wave dashing, L canceling and more... SSBM just raised the bar and trashed SSB.... it's like impossible to play SSB after playing SSBM.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

Wish NoC was still here, he could do his classic shtick of saying how SSB(M) is not deep it lacks combos, any skill etc. Then we would watch him talk about how many frames each move takes, man I miss those days.

Conker-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Conker-Fan
Member since 2007 • 1239 Posts
I dont care if people say its nto the deepest fighting game: It is the funnest fighting game and has the most value(for a fighting game)
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
[QUOTE="Rob2223"]i loved SSB, but i hate SSB: M.yoshi_64
I can't understand that, but it's your opinion. In my honest opinion, SSBM just trashes the original SSB. SSB was too slow paced compared to SSBM, SSBM had more characters and the older ones were better balanced now, there are a whole lot of new moves to do like wave dashing, L canceling and more... SSBM just raised the bar and trashed SSB.... it's like impossible to play SSB after playing SSBM.

I agree. Melee puts the original to shame. And yes, smash bros. is a very deep game.
Rob2223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rob2223
[QUOTE="Rob2223"]i loved SSB, but i hate SSB: M.yoshi_64

i just dont like the GC controller, and the controls were awkward for me......

SSB controls > SSBM controls......thats what it came down to for me, but ya everyone has their opinion :D
Oroin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Oroin
Member since 2006 • 3041 Posts

I dont care if people say its nto the deepest fighting game: It is the funnest fighting game and has the most value(for a fighting game)
Conker-Fan

I agree with you, and here's hoping that SSBB will be even better...

Avatar image for slothboyadvance
slothboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 slothboyadvance
Member since 2003 • 12596 Posts

I am so going to that tournament now.  What are the prizes?

EDIT:  Never mind about the prizes

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 yoshi_64
[QUOTE="yoshi_64"][QUOTE="Rob2223"]i loved SSB, but i hate SSB: M.Rob2223

SSB controls > SSBM controls......thats what it came down to for me, but ya everyone has their opinion :D

Oh... I LOVED the GC controller for the game. Seriously, I'm hoping SSBB will let me use my GC controllers, cause this game was just made for it. The GC's layout was just made for this game IMHO, and everything flows so well.
Rob2223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Rob2223
[QUOTE="Rob2223"][QUOTE="yoshi_64"][QUOTE="Rob2223"]i loved SSB, but i hate SSB: M.yoshi_64

Oh... I LOVED the GC controller for the game. Seriously, I'm hoping SSBB will let me use my GC controllers, cause this game was just made for it. The GC's layout was just made for this game IMHO, and everything flows so well.

lol, i hated the Z button :evil: i dunno....i just never got used to the controller / controls

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Redmoonxl2
Conker-Fan

Saying it wasn't deep was ammo the haters used against Smash. Now that Smash has been picked up by Evo, it pretty much makes the statement that the hardcore fighting game fanatics in North America accepted it as one of it's own. It's almost a beautiful thing to watch, like how a cat gives birth to kittens. *wipes tears*
DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
yay for super smash :D
Rob2223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rob2223
Smash is "deep" but even if it wasnt, its still the most fun........i can play ALOT more smash matches in a row than i can DOA.....more Value :D
RCade3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RCade3
Member since 2006 • 258 Posts

i totally own with ganondorf, i love that game

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 yoshi_64
[QUOTE="yoshi_64"][QUOTE="Rob2223"][QUOTE="yoshi_64"][QUOTE="Rob2223"]i loved SSB, but i hate SSB: M.Rob2223

lol, i hated the Z button :evil: i dunno....i just never got used to the controller / controls

I would find myself using Z and R/L+A alternatively. I pressed Z to throw items or catch them in mid air (unless I air dodged) and then for grabs and throws, I usually press R/L+A
RCade3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RCade3
[QUOTE="Rob2223"][QUOTE="yoshi_64"][QUOTE="Rob2223"][QUOTE="yoshi_64"][QUOTE="Rob2223"]i loved SSB, but i hate SSB: M.yoshi_64

I would find myself using Z and R/L+A alternatively. I pressed Z to throw items or catch them in mid air (unless I air dodged) and then for grabs and throws, I usually press R/L+A

Whoa, you can catch items thrown at you.....dang, this game is deep,...i always air dodged
Stabby2486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Stabby2486

Whoa, you can catch items thrown at you.....dang, this game is deep,...i always air dodged

You can catch items in mid-air? Tennis with Bomb-ombs anyone?

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ibacai

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]I love SSBM, it's a fantastic game. However, it is not deep at all. The fact that it is going to Evo means that it is popular and they want more publicity. I know I know, just my opinion. Stabby2486

Looks very deep to me.

Looks can be deceiving. Playing a game is the only way to truly tell the depth. But like I said, just my opinion.
Stabby2486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Stabby2486
[QUOTE="Stabby2486"]

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]I love SSBM, it's a fantastic game. However, it is not deep at all. The fact that it is going to Evo means that it is popular and they want more publicity. I know I know, just my opinion. Ibacai

Looks very deep to me.

Looks can be deceiving. Playing a game is the only way to truly tell the depth. But like I said, just my opinion.

Check out his other videos, he shows advanced techniques in 4 of them. I would learn all of them now but wave dashing is so dang hard.

Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Darth_Stalin
Member since 2005 • 8681 Posts
SSBB will be nice. SSBM although didn't have a very complex move set, it certainly took advantage of strategy, air fighting, timing, dodging, and out-witting plus the move set to make it one of the hardest games to master. BTW, You can call me King Falco ;) Once it comes out on the Wii (and few days to get used to the new controls) prepare to be pwned :D
RCade3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RCade3

Whoa, you can catch items thrown at you.....dang, this game is deep,...i always air dodgedStabby2486

You can catch items in mid-air? Tennis with Bomb-ombs anyone?

i played that game for years and never found that out.................i feel like a noob
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Redmoonxl2
[QUOTE="Stabby2486"]

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]I love SSBM, it's a fantastic game. However, it is not deep at all. The fact that it is going to Evo means that it is popular and they want more publicity. I know I know, just my opinion. Ibacai

Looks very deep to me.

I'm just curious to know whether or not you've actually played the game competitively.

If Smash was indeed lacking in depth and skill, I doubt it would be as big a fighter as it is now. People would have grown tired of it by now.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -RPGamer-
[QUOTE="Stabby2486"]

Looks very deep to me.

It's not a really good video of SSBM anyway :?

Kaarstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kaarstein
Member since 2006 • 5306 Posts
[QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="Stabby2486"]

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]I love SSBM, it's a fantastic game. However, it is not deep at all. The fact that it is going to Evo means that it is popular and they want more publicity. I know I know, just my opinion. Redmoonxl2

Looks very deep to me.

I'm just curious to know whether or not you've actually played the game competitively.

If Smash was indeed lacking in depth and skill, I doubt it would be as big a fighter as it is now. People would have grown tired of it by now.

If people say that SSBM lacks depth, I usually just show them these videos. It ususally shuts them up :) Advance how to play SSBM 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE Advance how to play SSBM 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZLs2doK8E&mode=related&search= Advance how to play SSBM 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmGIOcWdsM&mode=related&search=
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Redmoonxl2

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]I love SSBM, it's a fantastic game. However, it is not deep at all. The fact that it is going to Evo means that it is popular and they want more publicity. I know I know, just my opinion. -RPGamer-

Looks very deep to me.

It's not a really good video of SSBM anyway :?

I find this video to be a better example of skill, especially since Donkey Kong is a pain to master.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vVKdmXjWnKU

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ibacai

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]I love SSBM, it's a fantastic game. However, it is not deep at all. The fact that it is going to Evo means that it is popular and they want more publicity. I know I know, just my opinion. Redmoonxl2

Looks very deep to me.

And that is where your logic is flawed. A game (Be it fighter, FPS, RTS) doesn't have to be deep to be fun or last a long time. If that was true then the Civ series would be the most popular series ever. The answer to your first answer is no, I've never played competitively. But I also don't think you have to be labeled a pro to judge a game. I've owned SSB and SSBM since the days they both came out. I've watched the competitions at PAX and seen tournaments. I even played some freeplay two years ago against some of the people who competed.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Redmoonxl2
[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"][QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="Stabby2486"]

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]I love SSBM, it's a fantastic game. However, it is not deep at all. The fact that it is going to Evo means that it is popular and they want more publicity. I know I know, just my opinion. Kaarstein

Looks very deep to me.

If people say that SSBM lacks depth, I usually just show them these videos. It ususally shuts them up :) Advance how to play SSBM 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE Advance how to play SSBM 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZLs2doK8E&mode=related&search= Advance how to play SSBM 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmGIOcWdsM&mode=related&search=

Nice selection, tthere.
goodknight_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 goodknight_13
Member since 2006 • 585 Posts

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]I love SSBM, it's a fantastic game. However, it is not deep at all. The fact that it is going to Evo means that it is popular and they want more publicity. I know I know, just my opinion. Stabby2486

Looks very deep to me.

DAMN
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -RPGamer-
I like this Samus and Marth match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTdA_E6lHg&search=SSBM%20Wes
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Redmoonxl2
And that is where your logic is flawed. A game (Be it fighter, FPS, RTS) doesn't have to be deep to be fun or last a long time. If that was true then the Civ series would be the most popular series ever.Ibacai

How does my logic fail? While what you say is true, that doesn't mean Smash is lacking in depth. As I stated before. if Smash was lacking in depth, the game would just be popular for the small time the game was released. Here we are in 2007, and the game continues to go strong after 5 to 6 years. A shallow game wouldn't have lasted that long.

Also, there's a reason why Civ is not a popular game in tourny scenes: It's too slow.

The answer to your first answer is no, I've never played competitively.Ibacai

Thought so. :)
Avatar image for slothboyadvance
slothboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 slothboyadvance
Member since 2003 • 12596 Posts
Well I guess I should start training.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts
[QUOTE="MaTT2011"]W00T! i've always argued, quite effectively, that SSB was THE SINGLE MOST DEEP fighting game on the market......thats not to say there are not similarly deep fighting games but none that utilized the depth that SSB did. Fighting in SSB is about anticipating your opponnents movements and attacks and then responding with rythm and intelligence. Im glad SSB is getting the credit it deserves; i've never played a more brutal, fast paced and devastating game in my life.

QFT it's a "different" type of fighting game.
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance sold 2 million copies, making it one of the best selling North American fighting games this genl, so why isn't it at Evo? I mean it's popular.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Redmoonxl2
Well I guess I should start training.slothboyadvance

I think I just might get into the tourny scene since I have a big gap from being laid off and getting ready to return to school. Might go with Smash and Street Fighter 3: Third Strike.
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ibacai
[QUOTE="Ibacai"]And that is where your logic is flawed. A game (Be it fighter, FPS, RTS) doesn't have to be deep to be fun or last a long time. If that was true then the Civ series would be the most popular series ever.Redmoonxl2

How does my logic fail? While what you say is true, that doesn't mean Smash is lacking in depth. As I stated before. if Smash was lacking in depth, the game would just be popular for the small time the game was released. Here we are in 2007, and the game continues to go strong after 5 to 6 years. A shallow game wouldn't have lasted that long.

Also, there's a reason why Civ is not a popular game in tourny scenes: It's too slow.

Then tell me why Counter Strike is still one of the top FPS games? Doesn't take depth to have a game last. Just look at the new Mario on the DS (Yes, you can master mario and do all sorts of cool things. But it's still not a deep game). Another thing you might be thinking is that I think SSBM has no depth. Well, that's not true but it doesn't compare with say VF. Edit : And my reason for it going to Evo was just a guess. Feel free to bash it all you want.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Redmoonxl2
[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"][QUOTE="Ibacai"]And that is where your logic is flawed. A game (Be it fighter, FPS, RTS) doesn't have to be deep to be fun or last a long time. If that was true then the Civ series would be the most popular series ever.Ibacai

Then tell me why Counter Strike is still one of the top FPS games? Doesn't take depth to have a game last. Just look at the new Mario on the DS (Yes, you can master mario and do all sorts of cool things. But it's still not a deep game). Another thing you might be thinking is that I think SSBM has no depth. Well, that's not true but it doesn't compare with say VF.

Counter Strike and New Super Mario Bros are completely different from Smash...Also, the depth found in Counter Strike is in it's team play and the ability to succeed as a team. As for New Super Mario Bros, I have no idea what connection you're trying to make since it's not even a multiplayer game. :|

Also, I feel that the depth found in VF is different from Smash. Smash is more of a mindgame fighter as opposed to a technical fighter like VF. Both are equal in depth in their own right.
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ibacai
[QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"][QUOTE="Ibacai"]And that is where your logic is flawed. A game (Be it fighter, FPS, RTS) doesn't have to be deep to be fun or last a long time. If that was true then the Civ series would be the most popular series ever.Redmoonxl2

Then tell me why Counter Strike is still one of the top FPS games? Doesn't take depth to have a game last. Just look at the new Mario on the DS (Yes, you can master mario and do all sorts of cool things. But it's still not a deep game). Another thing you might be thinking is that I think SSBM has no depth. Well, that's not true but it doesn't compare with say VF.

Counter Strike and New Super Mario Bros are completely different from Smash...Also, the depth found in Counter Strike is in it's team play and the ability to succeed as a team. As for New Super Mario Bros, I have no idea what connection you're trying to make since it's not even a multiplayer game. :|

Also, I feel that the depth found in VF is different from Smash. Smash is more of a mindgame fighter as opposed to a technical fighter like VF. Both are equal in depth in their own right.

My whole point with the new Super Mario is that the formula hasn't changed. Doesn't matter if it's not Multiplayer. And if it was all about team tactics, then more people would still be playing older Rainbow Six games multiplayer. But we are thinking to differently. I'm done, have fun with the tourney (That's not sarcasm either).
Japanese_Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Japanese_Monk
Member since 2006 • 1412 Posts
really? You must not be pro then...
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Redmoonxl2
My whole point with the new Super Mario is that the formula hasn't changed. Doesn't matter if it's not Multiplayer. And if it was all about team tactics, then more people would still be playing older Rainbow Six games multiplayer.Ibacai

The New Super Mario Bros reference still doesn't make sense, in my view. If you are comparing the way formulas haven't changed over the years, I don't know how you can make that comparison with Smash since Smash 64 and Melee are two completely different beasts.

As for team tactics, it's still where most of the depth team based games come from, no matter what game.

But we are thinking to differently. I'm done, have fun with the tourney (That's not sarcasm either).Ibacai

Thanks. :)