Has/Will Gaming Ever Hit A Point Where You Stop Keeping Up?

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Over the past 35+ years we've gotten hundreds of amazing games and thousands of great games. Many of them are also able to deliver dozens (if not hundreds) of hours of content.

As life goes on and many other people and things are competing for your time and money, do you still feel that you need to keep up with the newest gen to play the newest games? Do you think you'll ever hit a point where you don't want or need to keep up? Have any of you hit that point yet?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

Def less invested in gaming now. A lot of it to do with the industry, like, just barrage of snakes.

Still pick a few games up at launch, but this next gen jump and buying games new at full price, very little motivation now barring the odd title feel is deserved.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I already hit that point. I've always gotten all the main systems. SNES/Genesis, PS1/N64/DC, PS2/GC/Xbox, 360/PS3/Wii, WiiU/PS4/Xbone/Switch, this will be the first time I don't get all of them. PlayStation and Xbox are just way too similar, they have like 95% of the same games across the systems. It's essentially like buying 2 gaming PCs that are exactly the same and installing half your games on one, half on the other. It just makes no sense to me anymore owning both. I will keep my Switch however, and get its successor because Switch differentiates itself enough from PS and Xbox. I personally don't think either Microsoft or Sony has a strong enough 1st party to warrant buying both when the real selling point of those systems is the 3rd party support.

I usually like PlayStation more than Xbox, but this time around I'm going with Series X and Switch with no PS5. I really don't care about either of the exclusives on either side of Sony or Microsoft, but I do prefer Halo, Gears and Forza over God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us and Gran Turismo. I also think the PS5 is ugly. I don't play online so I don't want to subscribe to any online services, but cloud saves are locked behind PS+ on PS5 and free on Series X so that's huge for me. I'm not even interested in GamePass because I don't play very many games anymore, just a few, and I like old games.

I usually don't pay full price for games. I usually wait until they've been out for a while and have gone on sale before I buy them. I play a lot of old stuff too. My favorite games to play right now are Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Streets of Rage 4, Halo MCC, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, stuff like that. I'd honestly rather play all this old stuff in 4K rather than any of the new stuff coming out. There's literally nothing new or announced that interests me. I don't like the looks of Cyberpunk or any of the other big games coming out. I literally want to get a Series X just to improve my Xbox One games, there's nothing on PS5 or Series X that interests me at all.

Oldgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Oldgun
Member since 2009 • 391 Posts

It's a question I ask myself too. I'm 40 years old and has seen gaming evolve from the 80s. One thing I miss (and perhaps making me lag behind in completing games) is games being short burst of entertainment. Games would take me roughly 8-10hours to fullfil my appetite and move on.

I think since last Gen, with so many AAA games becoming an over bloated open world, RPGs that take forever to complete (over ambitious I would say) I just can't spend countless hours finishing a game. For me, it's one of the main reasons why I can't keep up with games especially as we age and family takes priority.

Its a great time to be a gamer wherein you have countless number of amazing games to choose from. Now I only pick one or two games that I feel I can enjoy and will end up finishing and I let go of other games.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@arkephonic said:

I already hit that point. I've always gotten all the main systems. SNES/Genesis, PS1/N64/DC, PS2/GC/Xbox, 360/PS3/Wii, WiiU/PS4/Xbone/Switch, this will be the first time I don't get all of them. PlayStation and Xbox are just way too similar, they have like 95% of the same games across the systems. It's essentially like buying 2 gaming PCs that are exactly the same and installing half your games on one, half on the other. It just makes no sense to me anymore owning both. I will keep my Switch however, and get its successor because Switch differentiates itself enough from PS and Xbox. I personally don't think either Microsoft or Sony has a strong enough 1st party to warrant buying both when the real selling point of those systems is the 3rd party support.

I usually like PlayStation more than Xbox, but this time around I'm going with Series X and Switch with no PS5. I really don't care about either of the exclusives on either side of Sony or Microsoft, but I do prefer Halo, Gears and Forza over God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us and Gran Turismo. I also think the PS5 is ugly. I don't play online so I don't want to subscribe to any online services, but cloud saves are locked behind PS+ on PS5 and free on Series X so that's huge for me. I'm not even interested in GamePass because I don't play very many games anymore, just a few, and I like old games.

I usually don't pay full price for games. I usually wait until they've been out for a while and have gone on sale before I buy them. I play a lot of old stuff too. My favorite games to play right now are Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Streets of Rage 4, Halo MCC, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, stuff like that. I'd honestly rather play all this old stuff in 4K rather than any of the new stuff coming out. There's literally nothing new or announced that interests me. I don't like the looks of Cyberpunk or any of the other big games coming out. I literally want to get a Series X just to improve my Xbox One games, there's nothing on PS5 or Series X that interests me at all.

Not that you needed the Series X to get it, but I'd recommend GamePass if you have the time and don't mind not owning the games. Much cheaper than buying $60-70 games

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

@drummerdave9099: I know that GamePass is an unbelievable value, but it doesn't interest me because I don't play a lot of different games. I just play the same few games I love over and over again. Right now, the only games that even interest me are Diablo 4 and Halo Infinite, and Halo is definitely a wait and see because of its development problems. It makes more sense for me to just drop $60 or $70 on those 2 games that I'll play through the entirety of the generation rather than $180 a year on GamePass when those games could come or go on the service at any given time.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Even if I put in 100 hours a week I couldn't keep up with it. It might take years of devotion just to kill my backlog.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

I been gaming since the dawn of SNES and looking back at my gaming hobby, I haven't even reach to a point where I wanna call it quits and I still enjoy keeping up to date on the newest games as I'll look forward to playing day one. I will say however that gaming on consoles is starting to hit me, meaning I rarely care about consoles and I'm more into PC gaming as it's so damn easy to keep up with everything on 1 platform. I'll still keep playing game as long as I'm able to but it will be on PC. Nintendo still makes consoles, so I'll always buy Nintendo's consoles just for exclusives.

I'm in my 30s with a lovely wife & 2 daughters, even with a family taking my time, I'll still have more time to keep up with the latest games!

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Every time this question pops up I always question myself why nobody asks if someday I'm going to stop watching movies or series.

It varies how much time I can dedicate to it but every day I managed to get at least 1h in before going to bed. It helps that I play a wide variety of genres so I never really get tired.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#10 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

VR is the only thing for me I haven't got into.

I was interested in it for a while but I had a concussion earlier this year and I'm pretty sure VR would give me a royal headache if I tried it any time soon

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

I’ve been gaming since the Atari 2600 days and I’m enjoying it as much as ever if not more in some aspects. I don’t foresee myself not keeping up with it anytime soon.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DarthBuzzard
Member since 2019 • 360 Posts

I will stop playing most AAA non-VR games once VR gets a large sustainable library of AAA games.

In other words, I'm not going to spend time playing games that describe themselves as 'highly immersive' like Red Dead Redemption 2 at that point as VR will be the only immersive experience I need.

If I play a non-VR game in this future, it will be because of it's story or gameplay, not because of it's world or immersion as I simply won't enjoy it next to my VR headset.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Hell, that probably happened about 5-7 years ago, but I'm still plugging along.. lol

Not really though.. I care too much about games. Always have. They are just part of my life.. I really do need to get to a point where I commit myself to them until completion however. I have a bad habit of jumping around from game to game after just a couple/few hours unless I really like the game. I don't have that same problem with online multiplayer games most of the time or MMO's though.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 osan0  Online
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

I never really tried to keep up, like it was some sort of race.

I very rarely bought the latest hotness day 1 and i certainly didnt try to complete it as fast as possible. Whats the point?

I just tend to buy games i am looking forward to whenever it suits. I play them at a pace that i enjoy.

e.g. right now i have decided to hold off on cyberpunk. I'm really looking forward to it but i also want the hardware that can do it more justice and that is currently not available. also CDPR dont tend to release games in the best condition. so i will get around to it in march/april. by then i will, hopefully, have my new PC hardware and CDPR will have hammered out the worst of the issues. it's no biggie. it's not like i'm stuck for games to play.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

I keep up with industry news, but I don't care about playing the talk of the month, or what have you. I have my own little niche of games I play and do so on my own schedule.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I all but quit gaming in gen 7. I had a 360, but I didn’t really do much with it. University and a social life takes up a lot of time so gaming was on the back-burner. I fell back into gaming with the Xbox One and X1X. I used to buy all the consoles in a generation but my playstations and Nintendos mostly remained idle.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Before the pandemic, I was gaming much less due to working and then just chilling when I got home. Obviously, in this climate, i've had much more free-time... So swings and roundabouts, I guess.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22677 Posts

I didn't pay attention to gaming throughout the n64/ps1 generation. I was in college and I sold my snes (mistake) and n64 and bought a guitar.

If it wasn't for kotor I don't think I'd have returned to gaming.

Now a day I just accept that a games have diminishing returns because there aren't a lot of ground breaking ideas in game design. I play games for the escapism not because I think developers are making ground breaking games.

I don't consider a game with ray tracing or 4k to be a feature that makes a game better. Game design is all that matters.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34608 Posts

Who knows. The older I get, the shittier mainstream games get. If all games in the future are a bunch of Fortnites and CoDs, then yeah, I'll stop keeping up.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I never really tried to keep up. I'll sometimes buy games and hardware years after their release, when I'm ready for it. The list of games I want to play far exceeds the time I have to play.

It's a good position to be in. I don't tell pressured to beta test new consoles or unpatched games. Not out of righteousness - I just don't need to. I can't keep up, I don't want to keep up, and it saves me money and annoyance. If I can buy a great game on my list for $5 bucks I'm happy. I don't gaf if it's old. Good games I want to play are good games I want to play

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

I'm already there

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

I’ll get a PS5 in a couple years but have no interest in ever purchasing another Xbox or Nintendo again. Xbox has never been justifiable to me after purchasing as far as exclusive content goes and Nintendo gives me the same games over and over again. I mostly play Smash and Mario Kart on Nintendo with a few of their flagship IPs sprinkled in. At this point I don’t see it worthwhile to purchase another one of their systems for more or less the same experiences I already own.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Been gaming since the days of Atari, and up until last gen I've tried to stay current with all the new console and handheld stuff. Now a days I would rather save money than keep up with the Joneses.

Today's gaming has so many options and much more variety than ever before, so when people try to say everyone else should be like them, it just feels like an outdated sentiment. Scores don't matter, sales don't matter, popularity doesn't matter in a day when there is so much to offer people.

You can game on PC, you can game on consoles, you can game on handhelds, you can game on your phone. You can play Barbie games, you can play puzzle games, you can play manly games, you can play blockbuster games or a little of everything. No one way is better than anything else.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Not really, keeping up with the latest stuff sharing and playing is awesome.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Nah just got a decent job so I finally can keep up lol.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#26 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I can't even remember the last time I bought a first party AAA game from anybody to be completely honest. None of the games announced for either PS5 or XBX interest me in the least. I've been playing mostly indie stuff for a few years now.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#28 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I've always classed myself as a casual gamer. Generally will only finish maybe 1-5 games in a year. I still buy whatever new games are available for most of my favourite franchises, but that's about it.

One of the biggest drawbacks is that the majority of the games that I like, my friends don't. On the other hand, Nintendo always seems to bring us together. :)