Has Valve successfully cornered Epic?

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Has Valve successfully cornered Epic? (69 votes)

Yes 22%
No 36%
Don't care 29%
Just gimme new Half Life games already 13%

Over this year it has been an interesting turn of events. From last year and the beginning of this year we've been hearing nothing but PC games going Epic Store exclusive and the E3 PC Gaming Show being another platform of promotion for the Epic Store. Even Ubisoft one of the current gaming giants was pulling out of Steam completely which lead to the fear of every other major publisher following suit and making a more divided platform.

Then the after the announcement of Anno 1800 being the last Ubisoft game to ever get published on Steam things started changing. None of Bethesda's upcoming games are even on the Epic store despite going out of the way to make their own launcher to undercut Steam and are crawling back to it. Bandai Namco stated none of their games would be Epic exclusive. Bungie left Activision Blizzard and published Destiny 2 on Steam.

Microsoft caved in and started bringing all their games to Steam. Recently EA has done the same and are slowly bringing their games back over to Steam and are even allowing EA Access through it. With the way EA talked about their return to Steam it seems clear they made a deal with Valve as it is stated that EA Access is possibly going to be the only game subscription service on Steam. It also means that even though they get 100% of the money through game sales on Origin all the sales they lose out on Steam for EA isn't worth it and it seems not many people are buying 3rd party games on Origin either. Even though some publishers like 2K have made deals with Epic on exclusivity they haven't fully committed like with RDR2 not being a complete Epic Store exclusive as it can be bought through their own recently made launcher and the game is only exclusive for a month. Considering the issues RDR2 has right now waiting a month for the Steam version is not too bad.

Then of course Valve drops the bomb that they're releasing a Half Life game and even though it is VR only many people are excited and hyped enough to even consider buying a VR headset for the game. It has received mostly very good reception so far unlike other PC series that had new releases that weren't traditional PC games being universally hated such as Diablo Immortal and Command & Conquer Rivals. This isn't even including that Valve has 2 other AAA VR games in the works and are considering returning back to the Half Life series. It also means that the Source 2 engine is near completion so Valve can go back into making games more seriously again. L4D3's development was halted at one point because the Source 2 engine hadn't progressed enough and half of the team didn't want to switch to UE4. So that means L4D3 could possibly resume development again.

Meanwhile Epic is turning into what Valve was in the past 5-7 years where they're pulling out of regular game development because Fortnite makes them so much money. Epic have cancelled Paragon and further development of Unreal Tournament 4 and made all their devs that aren't working on the Unreal Engine work crunch time on Fortnite content.

So basically Epic threw around money for indie titles and a few AA and AAA games while major games and publishers returned to Steam with very little effort on Valve's part and are also returning back to the Half Life series. Epic Store is still struggling to implement cloud saves and got rid of their roadmap due to incompetence while Steam has already moved on to remote local multiplayer. Epic Store exclusivity doesn't seem to be working out well for some games and devs such as Piranha who claimed they did it for discoverability yet with their game being 3 weeks away from release Mechwarrior 5 barely has any attention around it despite Battletech which released last year and is turn based having way more attention around its release.

An indie dev of a game called Darq also exposed Epic who claims they're for the small guys by revealing that Epic only allows indie devs on their store if they go exclusive. Epic offered him an exclusive deal and he refused but was willing to put the game on their store but Epic refused because indie games that aren't exclusive are a waste of their precious "limited bandwidth". So unless you got a popular indie game your chances of publishing on their store are slim to none. Even Assault Android Cactus+ which is a very well received game was denied entry to the Epic store because it was already on Steam. Pretty hypocritical that they'll allow games like Cyberpunk 2077 onto their store despite not being exclusive and the devs even having their own competing store where 1/3rd of their preorders of the game are already.

What do you think?

• 
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

They dangled a carrot for Publishers at the expense of the consumer, fully, and to a degee correctly, expecting them to jump at it and gamers bros to follow suit like big dumb-dumbs.

Tarring Epic store as a negative connotation seems to be a social media aspect their marketing team didn't predict. And no damage control from positive media coverage or develops sucking Epic off seems to have helped.

It seems to be a lasting stigma they will have a hard time ever getting rid of. Announcing a game is going to be Epic Store exclusive is like announcing your a racist who thought Jeffrey Epstein was a pretty cool guy. Especially damming if you've been crowd-funded.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

I don't really care for either company.

Steam is really open and I love some of its features (workshop integration)

Epic offers a ton of free games and it's understandable that devs would side with them since they get a bigger piece of the pie.

But honestly I just want the freedom to buy and play my games wherever I damn please. This isn't console gaming!

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

I don't think so, at least not yet. Epic has a big war chest due to Fortnite but time is not on their side. Valve can ride them out by doing nothing.

As for EA returning, my assumption is that they are actually trying to convert Steam's user base to their client. Always remember the hardest part is some one to convince to install your app/client etc.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

Yes

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#5 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

the new Half Life game being VR exclusive is not a popular move and isn't exactly helping Valve win back fans.

remote co-op games is a great feature but only applies to a small number of games.

given how many major games Valve has lost to Epic over the last year, I think its closer to the other way around.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

STEAM > EPIC GAMES STORE which is crap

EPIC is cornered right now they got a decent engine but thats about it

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Time will tell, it’s a bit too early to count out an Epic success but it does seem their bribing spree has lost some steam (haha). I for one enjoy the thought of all the shilling game journalists did about how Epic Exclusives were the greatest thing ever and would save PC gaming, going to waste.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@pc_rocks: EA weren't the only ones returning to steam this year. Bethesda and Microsoft also returned this year after leaving the platform.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@pc_rocks: EA weren't the only ones returning to steam this year. Bethesda and Microsoft also returned this year after leaving the platform.

Yes, and the reason is exactly what I said. Steam and China, they want the Steam user base to install/use their platform. Once the large portion becomes accustomed to it they will ditch Steam again. Outright competing with Steam didn't work in their favor so they want to trojan horse their platform via Steam.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k

@pc_rocks: Exactly. Buying EA games still means using origin and Bethesda games work through bethesda.net

MS seems to be the only one that sells its games on steam with no strings attached.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

People still care about EA?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

No

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

No lol steam is just as lazy as epic is, niether company is to he trusted, but id say epic throwing around bags of money has only helped the service, is it corporate and scummy? Yeah, but so is steam refusing to give similiar cuts to developers epic is offering, or giving us shitty card games no one asked for filled with micro transactions (artifact) or turning CS into a lootbox machine,

Now I'm supposed to think valve is great because they are bringing back half life.

Ohhh its VR, ohhh steam is pushing thier own VR head sets, good thing I dont gaf about VR, thanks steam... For bringing back one the most requested returns in gaming, and proving you are only doing it as a way to push your goofy vr headsets.

Gaben can **** off on his yacht, I dont care about Epic either, steam makes so much god damn money and they continuously give thier fans trash.

I say bring on more launchers.

Michael668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Michael668
Member since 2019 • 13 Posts

Nice THread..

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

The idea from the outset was a great one, but forced exclusivity with cheques written to cover potential "lost" sales shot them in the foot. Adding to that, the distinct lack of even the most basic features, makes the Epic launcher a large pile of poo. Not even touching on the Tencent thing...

Valve (and other companies) will weather the storm, and hopefully learn a few things in the process.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Premier Origin could potentially work with Steam in the future? If so, that would be pretty damn cool cause I try to keep all my games on Steam only and I don't use more than half the launchers out now...

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I don't think Valve has really done much new - I think Epic just is not doing a good job playing their hand. It works in fits and starts, but pisses as many people off as it scores hits.

I notice a lot of people are really anti-Valve (which I don't get) but Epic is failing to capitalize on that by creating their own ill will.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts
@pc_rocks said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Yes, and the reason is exactly what I said. Steam and China, they want the Steam user base to install/use their platform. Once the large portion becomes accustomed to it they will ditch Steam again. Outright competing with Steam didn't work in their favor so they want to trojan horse their platform via Steam.

Interesting observation Steam has grown significantly over the past couple of years due to the growing Chinese player base. But would companies like EA really be able keep this player base if they pulled away from Steam again? Most gamers in China only learn about these foreign games through Steam and there are still many that don't even know that Steam exist how are significantly less popular platforms going to hold up? They're gonna have to stay with Steam for at least 4 years to get a large enough Chinese base familiar enough with them to feel confident enough to pull out of Steam or find a Chinese company to partner with that can bring a good amount of their games officially to China. But games like Battlefield likely won't ever be brought over officially.

When Ubisoft pulled out of Steam they we're at least smart enough to partner with Tencent to get Rainbow Six Siege and other games officially published there. Then there is fact that some games have no chance in hell being approved of by the Chinese government such as GTA V and Fallout. Gears 4 got banned on the Windows store in China so any chance of playing the Gears series in China will have to be through Steam versions so Microsoft really can't pull the Trojan horse on Valve if they want games like that to continue selling to the Chinese demographic. Speaking of which I wonder if Watch Dogs Legions will even be allowed officially in China since the theme of the game is almost a mirror of China's surveillance state.

@with_teeth26 said:

the new Half Life game being VR exclusive is not a popular move and isn't exactly helping Valve win back fans.

remote co-op games is a great feature but only applies to a small number of games.

given how many major games Valve has lost to Epic over the last year, I think its closer to the other way around.

Everywhere I look videos related to Half Life: Alyx are well received even people upset over the game being VR can't really bring themselves to hate it because it still looks great and anticipate it will be groundbreaking just like the other Half Life games. But yeah I do see some angry fans but not enough to make the game massively hated. Meanwhile Diablo Immortal videos still get heavily disliked even though Diablo 4 has been revealed now.

The main point of me bringing up remote local multiplayer is that Steam is continuing to evolve while Epic is still struggling with implementing basic industry standards to the point they've done away with their roadmap which Epic defenders used as justification for the platform being subpar because the features were "coming" at schedule times in order. 4,000+ games on Steam currently support local multiplayer so not really a small number of games.

I'm pretty sure Steam has more recent and upcoming major games than the Epic Store if not they're about even. For example Steam has and is getting Destiny 2, Halo MCC, Halo Infinite, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Gears 5, Age Of Empires 4, Apex Legends, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Doom: Eternal, Ghostwire, FIFA 20, The Sims 4 and Battlefield V.

The major games Epic store has currently and upcoming are Borderlands 3, Control, Metro Exodus, Detroit Become Human, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, The Outer Worlds, The Division 2, Auto Chess and World War Z. Epic's exclusives mostly consist of indies and AA games since they're easier and cheaper to bribe into exclusivity. Some of the games on the Steam side listed can carry a lot more weight than that what Epic has like the Master Chief Collection and Destiny 2 which already has 100K peak players per day. And for some games on the Epic side they aren't even a full year exclusive such as Borderlands 3 only being six months and RDR2 only being 1 month.

There is also the fact that since some of these games are sold on their own launchers despite partnering with Epic and people just go that way like how Ubisoft's Uplay sales gone up drastically since everyone who plays Ubisoft games on Steam likely has a Uplay account so why bother going through the subpar Epic launcher. I wouldn't be surprised if most people currently bought RDR2 through the Rockstar launcher since they already have a Rockstar account if they played recent Rockstar games and Rockstar had a promotion for buying RDR2 where getting the deluxe edition and/or a couple of other games with it was cheaper through their platform. Then games like Metro Exodus and The Outer Worlds were not only put on the Microsoft Store but allowed on Xbox Gamepass which is having dirt cheap promotions for the past couple of months. Remedy's recent sales statement about Control leans towards it being a flop but they couldn't outright say it because of the millions Epic gave them.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Probably not, but I hope Epic hurts Steam even more because the competition is good for the end-user.

Valve became super lazy in the past several years.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

More like Epic made a huge dent into steam library. They are not getting the top titles anymore which most people care about at this point that sit on that platform.

Its even so dire they had to release a freaking half life game and had to sell there soul to EA to push there store and subscription forwards to get any content at all while EA probably pays little to nothing for it. Because they need some games on there client that isn't of indie quality.

Easy expansion from EA and there subscription services versus all the other publishers.

So far u want to play new top titles u will need epic.

Epic giving away games every week also creates a ton of goodwill unlike steam that does practically nothing.

And about its features on steam, i bet people buy a PS4 because of its features and not its games.

As long as epic stays investing into games and publishers to pull them into there platform first it will a bigger name every year from now.

It also helps them having publicity everywhere which steams lacks more and more.

Steam at this point is pretty much a portal for other game clients with endless indie trash. Because devs are fleeing from them with there own shops from the left and the right.

And about pc game sales, link me one game that didn't sold well. I believe metro did better then any game of there's before on steam, anno did incredible well etc etc.

The reality is people don't care about clients, only steamboy fanboys do. yet they most likely have multiple clients anyway but are just hypocrites at the day.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

No.

And also, who gives a shit?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

The Epic Store has a bad business model and terrible marketing. They've cornered themselves, and as soon as Fortnight loses popularity...goodbye Epic Store?

Meanwhile, does anyone know how well Shenmue 3 sold on the Epic Store? I can't find any announcements anywhere about that.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

The way I look at it is this:

You have this one guy who is selling carrots, and has been doing it for quite some time. Over the years he has developed not just a market for all kinds of carrots, but has encouraged other carrot farmers to join him and sell the carrots together, splitting the profits. He has also developed all kinds of community stuff around the carrots, like carrot forums and carrot workships and carrot guides.

Across the street, a petty little shit says "Damn, carrot business be booming!" and he wants a piece of that action. So he calls his rich Chinese uncle and asks for some money to open up his own carrot stand.

But that's not good enough for the petty little shit. No no no, he doesn't want to earn his share of the market through hard work and honest business practices, he needs to resort to skulduggery; so with some well-placed bribes, he gets some carrot farmers to sell carrots to him and only him so he can sell them at a bigger price (the farmers are not dumb; they know 10 dollars guaranteed today is better than a possible 12 dollars tomorrow).

But that's OK, because the honest guy knows that good business practices coupled with not being a greedy **** pays off; meanwhile, the petty shit across the way only has a few kind of carrots, can't afford to offer discounts, and has absolutely no services because he is in it for the money only.

@IgGy621985 said:

Probably not, but I hope Epic hurts Steam even more because the competition is good for the end-user.

I agree with you in theory, but the problem is the competition is not honest. If Epic offered something that actually competes with Valve--good prices, a large library, community-driven forums and guides and so on, mod support, and all that stuff--that would be fine.

But they don't. All they offer is exclusives, and that's fucking horseshit.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mrbojangles25  Online
@xantufrog said:

I don't think Valve has really done much new - I think Epic just is not doing a good job playing their hand. It works in fits and starts, but pisses as many people off as it scores hits.

I notice a lot of people are really anti-Valve (which I don't get) but Epic is failing to capitalize on that by creating their own ill will.

Yeah the "anti-Valve" folks are just negative people that want to see the big guy fall, even if the big guy is the best thing they have going for them.

They'd rather eat shit and get two free handfuls of shit each month from a store that isn't a major player than enjoy a selection of any kind of food they want at reasonable prices with services to boot.

In short, the anti-valve folks are hipsters.

@Gatygun said:

More like Epic made a huge dent into steam library. They are not getting the top titles anymore which most people care about at this point that sit on that platform.

Its even so dire they had to release a freaking half life game and had to sell there soul to EA to push there store and subscription forwards to get any content at all while EA probably pays little to nothing for it. Because they need some games on there client that isn't of indie quality.

Easy expansion from EA and there subscription services versus all the other publishers.

So far u want to play new top titles u will need epic.

Epic giving away games every week also creates a ton of goodwill unlike steam that does practically nothing.

And about its features on steam, i bet people buy a PS4 because of its features and not its games.

As long as epic stays investing into games and publishers to pull them into there platform first it will a bigger name every year from now.

It also helps them having publicity everywhere which steams lacks more and more.

Steam at this point is pretty much a portal for other game clients with endless indie trash. Because devs are fleeing from them with there own shops from the left and the right.

And about pc game sales, link me one game that didn't sold well. I believe metro did better then any game of there's before on steam, anno did incredible well etc etc.

The reality is people don't care about clients, only steamboy fanboys do. yet they most likely have multiple clients anyway but are just hypocrites at the day.

Your whole argument could essentially be reduced to "Epic has exclusives which is why they are better than Valve" ...

...and that is freaking dumb.

You people can't claim that "competition is good blah blah blah" and then cite exclusivity as competition. It's not! It's shortchanging the customer and removing the element of choice. I would call it "Cheating".

You would rather assuage your ego by supporting an alleged David in a "David vs Goliath", but the truth is the Goliath in the fight is Tencent-Epic!!!

I mean who do you really think is on your side?

...The Chinese-state-owned Tencent-Epic that is publicly traded and profit-driven, who's only real success up until the storefront was draining the piggy banks of tweens that play Fortnite?...

...Or the privately-owned, pro-gaming company from Washington that offers the best products coupled with great service and community?

And frankly, Tencent-Epic makes me feel dirty. "Ooooooh hey there, come over to the Epic store. I'll give you a free game or two. Oh look, we have this one game you want but can only get here and no where else. Yeah you little shit, you know yo uwant it, come to daddy. Buy it from me. Buy it from Tencent-Epic! Yeah"

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Epic cornered Epic. There was absolutely no demand for anything the Epic store was offering. Anything Steam doesn't do other sites like Humble Bundle and GOG can do. All Epic did was try to rope in a bunch of exclusives to force people over to their site, and gamers saw right through it. Keep that exclusivity crap on consoles.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@xantufrog said:

Yeah the "anti-Valve" folks are just negative people that want to see the big guy fall, even if the big guy is the best thing they have going for them.

They'd rather eat shit and get two free handfuls of shit each month from a store that isn't a major player than enjoy a selection of any kind of food they want at reasonable prices with services to boot.

In short, the anti-valve folks are hipsters.

Yep it seems like at this point even if Valve completely returned to making the games they want they'd still be unsatisfied. Funny how some people think that Epic giving free games is somehow a major win over Steam not realizing the possibility that a lot of people like me are simply just logging into the Epic Store only to get the free games and not buy anything.

Also Epic paid for exclusivity of Rune 2 which turned out to be a huge flop. The devs claimed that the money Epic gave them helped them speed up production and release a much better quality game when all we get is this.

Loading Video...

Valve can't really win with curation complaints. When they curate games indie devs complain that they don't get on the store and when they relax the requirements to get on the store indie devs and gamers both complain that there is too many other games on the store thus making it harder for them to be discovered. I think indie devs need to start getting over this. It isn't the late 2000s/early 2010s anymore where your game could be simple and short and sell a million copies. The market is a lot more competitive and Steam is an old and established platform so even with higher curation there'd still be tons of games you have to compete with for discoverability. If you think you can get by with just having your game on the store frontpage think again because a ton of other indie devs are thinking the same. Funny that some of these indie devs supported/defended the Epic Store thinking they were going to be allowed on so they could take advantage of its currently small library to get discovered only for them to get rejected too and jump on the Epic hate bandwagon. Even GOG which curates as well almost rejected some good indie titles.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@IgGy621985 said:

I agree with you in theory, but the problem is the competition is not honest. If Epic offered something that actually competes with Valve--good prices, a large library, community-driven forums and guides and so on, mod support, and all that stuff--that would be fine.

Yeah, I agree. Forums, guides, mod support is what's definitely missing at Epic Store at this time. Also, their sales aren't that great either.

But, they're a good, solid competition which made Valve do SOMETHING. I believe Epic did a great job as a competing side on this market because Valve got EA back, and they got Microsoft on their storefront.

Personally, I don't give a shit about having my games on one platform. I already have probably all the clients installed on my PC. But I do understand some people might be against that.

But monopoly is never good for the customer. Never. I seriously want Epic to do more. This competition is great for the customer.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

Epic made Valve finally realize that there's no such thing as loyalty among gamers. Gamers will buy games where they can get them and if a game is on Epic Store, but not on Steam, people will buy it from Epic. Not wait a year. Valve finally started to make their own deals.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@IgGy621985 said:

Yeah, I agree. Forums, guides, mod support is what's definitely missing at Epic Store at this time. Also, their sales aren't that great either.

But, they're a good, solid competition which made Valve do SOMETHING. I believe Epic did a great job as a competing side on this market because Valve got EA back, and they got Microsoft on their storefront.

Personally, I don't give a shit about having my games on one platform. I already have probably all the clients installed on my PC. But I do understand some people might be against that.

But monopoly is never good for the customer. Never. I seriously want Epic to do more. This competition is great for the customer.

I'm with you on this. I too have never issues about having different Clients install into my PC despite Steam & GoG are my go to Clients. I do use Origin more so due to being an EA Origin Premier which has it's uses, I only use EGS "if" there's a game I want to play that I cannot get it anywhere else (consoles isn't an option) and Control happens to be my most played game on the EGS.

EGS wouldn't be this bad if they stop buying timely exclusive on the damn client and spend that money on having missing features like they are supposed to. Epic ruin Epic for being mismanage.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

And frankly, Tencent-Epic makes me feel dirty. "Ooooooh hey there, come over to the Epic store. I'll give you a free game or two. Oh look, we have this one game you want but can only get here and no where else. Yeah you little shit, you know yo uwant it, come to daddy. Buy it from me. Buy it from Tencent-Epic! Yeah"

Haha, my thoughts exactly everytime I open the EGS and grab the free games. I can't resist the free games, but above is the reason why I refuse to buy anything from EGS.

Thanks for the 30-ish free games I've gotten so far. But that's not gonna make me feed the Fortnite driven pigs that are actively trying to make PC gaming worse for their own profit.

It was lame to not play Borderlands 3 with my friends. But my friends are bored of it now, and I'll live without it just fine.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 theone86

@IgGy621985 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@IgGy621985 said:

I don't care that much about having all my games on one client, but I do worry about having them spread out among too many clients. I really hated all the dev-specific platforms like EA origin, especially when there didn't seem to be any benefit to using them. GOG and Humble Bundle offer enough that's different from Steam to keep them going and keep Valve on their heels. I don't see what Epic Store does in that regard, and I especially hated the exclusivity aspect. It's like most of what I hated about Origin combined with nothing of what I liked from GOG/Humble.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mrbojangles25  Online

@theone86 said:
@IgGy621985 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@IgGy621985 said:

I don't care that much about having all my games on one client, but I do worry about having them spread out among too many clients. I really hated all the dev-specific platforms like EA origin, especially when there didn't seem to be any benefit to using them. GOG and Humble Bundle offer enough that's different from Steam to keep them going and keep Valve on their heels. I don't see what Epic Store does in that regard, and I especially hated the exclusivity aspect. It's like most of what I hated about Origin combined with nothing of what I liked from GOG/Humble.

Yeah I really don't mind the various clients out of principle--after all, I grocery shop at five different stores--I just don't like two things:

1. Publisher-only stores. It's not that bad, but I really just don't like only being able to get an EA game only at EA Origin. Origin has improved, but it just doesn't offer that much in terms of service. Uplay+ is slightly better as well as they have forums and news, but again not as good as GoG or Steam.

2. And as much as I dislike Publisher-only stores, I hate the next extreme which is bought exclusivity. At it's most basic, purchasing the rights to something you did not have a hand in creating, only to limit the availability of that product strictly for financial gains, is very unethical.

Couple that with a inferior service like Tencent-Epic Game Store, and it's just a lose-lose-lose situation. I also question their sales numbers; it's easy to say something sold well when the developer is paid a lump-sum that is the equivelent of 500,000 copies, but did it actually sell 500,000 copies?

-------

If there were more services like Steam and GoG, I'd be happy with that. I'd willingly install 10 different clients if they had a truly open marketplace, with services to boot (forums, player guides, mod support if supported by game, and so on).

I can sometimes come off a little rabid in my defense of Steam/Valve, but that is only because they are still the best option, and I refuse to let some pissant little Chinese-state-owned game store bring it down because a bunch of hipsters just like taking the piss out of the best and most popular thing.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 theone86

@mrbojangles25: For all their faults, Valve is really good at what they do. Steam's definitely got some problems here and there, but they've built up a really user-friendly ecosystem with an amazing selection and good support features. A big part of the reason why they're still on top is because no one's done anything that would dethrone them.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 uninspiredcup

We don't need Alyx, we have fake factory.

Basically Halflife 4.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#36  Edited By so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

It's interesting watching companies that aren't even the manufacturer trying to section off users.

It's like PC really wants a first party and it's embarrassing to watch it all happen in public so messily.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

@uninspiredcup: That's incredibly ugly. What the hell did they do to Alyx's face?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By uninspiredcup

Fakefactory modeled a fully 3D vagina even though you never see it in game.

Mans a perfectionist.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 uninspiredcup

Apparently this was cancelled due to Boneworks being so gud-gud it made teleportation look trash, with Valve yet to properly implement locomotive movement.

Loading Video...