Handheld graphics king?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trinexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Trinexxx
Member since 2008 • 883 Posts

What would take this title, one of the GoW games?

Maybe even this new iPhone 4 game, Infinity Blade:

bowser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#2 bowser3
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts

The iphones screen isnt that big. But i say the graphics are like 2x better than the 3ds.

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

The game looks great but I am not sure how much will be involved in the game. With god of war, there are multiple enemies, huge bosses, and a lot of action on screen. I would say the gta's on psp are incredible for having an open world. Everyone says the iphone is more powerful than the psp. But games like Rage and the one op posted makes me wonder how powerful it actually is. Rage is on rails and has small corridor enviroments. I still think psp has the best looking games.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

The game looks great but I am not sure how much will be involved in the game. With god of war, there are multiple enemies, huge bosses, and a lot of action on screen. I would say the gta's on psp are incredible for having an open world. Everyone says the iphone is more powerful than the psp. But games like Rage and the one op posted makes me wonder how powerful it actually is. Rage is on rails and has small corridor enviroments. I still think psp has the best looking games.

15strong
iPhone is more powerful than the PSP, and even 3DS. Not to say it's a better gaming machine, because it's not.
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 windsquid9000
Member since 2009 • 3206 Posts

3DS, eat your heart out 8)

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

[QUOTE="15strong"]

SaltyMeatballs

iPhone is more powerful than the PSP, and even 3DS. Not to say it's a better gaming machine, because it's not.

It think the psp has done more impressive things with their games in terms of graphics than the iphone has.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="15strong"]

SaltyMeatballs

Pretty much this, although I think the 3DS will look pretty darn good and it has dual screens, 3D and it isnt only touch screen. besides 3DS has a list of amazing games already.

sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sam_nintendo
Member since 2005 • 2066 Posts

windsquid9000
Seeing that makes me with Epic had Chair making full console games, rather than iDevice games.
Trinexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Trinexxx
Member since 2008 • 883 Posts

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="15strong"]

15strong

It think the psp has done more impressive things with their games in terms of graphics than the iphone has.

Even though it's only a tech demo, Epic Citadel is more impressive than anything on the PSP.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="windsquid9000"]

sam_nintendo

Seeing that makes me with Epic had Chair making full console games, rather than iDevice games.

haha yeah, instead consoles get Epic's gorey, insane run and gun shooters over and over again.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="15strong"]

NaveedLife

Pretty much this, although I think the 3DS will look pretty darn good and it has dual screens, 3D and it isnt only touch screen. besides 3DS has a list of amazing games already.

Indeed, that's what it comes down to in the end, not just graphics. 3DS with Gamecube type graphics (better than the GC actually) in 3D is not bad, not bad at all.
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

Ocarina of time 3ds. Or MGS 3 3ds. A game on the 3ds :P

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Ghost of Sparta's visuals are the ****. I think I tried Infinity Blade or something very similar on the iPhone, that too looked impressive.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NaveedLife

theuncharted34

I think you mean MGS3DS or Resident Evil Revelations. Both (especially RE) are shaping up to look QUITE nice. Ocarina of Time does look surpisingly nice although you can still tell its dated in terms of what people expect today. Doesnt bother me one bit though :).

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

NaveedLife

I think you mean MGS3DS or Resident Evil Revelations. Both (especially RE) are shaping up to look QUITE nice. Ocarina of Time does look surpisingly nice although you can still tell its dated in terms of what people expect today. Doesnt bother me one bit though :).

nah, I'm changing my vote to the new paper mario :) favorite franchise btw. Well, except super :( though it was good, it wasn't close to the first two.

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 windsquid9000

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

theuncharted34

nah, I'm changing my vote to the new paper mario :) favorite franchise btw. Well, except super :( though it was good, it wasn't close to the first two.

Graphics = technical proficiency. The only eligible titles on the 3DS are the two RE games and Snake Eater.
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

windsquid9000

Graphics = technical proficiency. The only eligible titles on the 3DS are the two RE games and Snake Eater.

so you say ;) starfox will probably look amazing as well.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

windsquid9000

Hah yeah, thats why I said RE and MGS, although the other titles look good, in terms of tech they dont really come close to matching the RE and MGS visuals. But then again OoT and Star Fox are not supposed to match as they could have easily (well it takes time, but easily in terms of tech) made them look way better, such as making OoT look like Twilight Princess, but I would not have wanted that. Paper Mario is too early to tell, but it is quite visually pleasing. It is always hard to judge the graphics in games like that IMO.

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#19 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

It's Crisis on PC :P

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 windsquid9000

More Infinity Blade screenshots:

sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sam_nintendo

[QUOTE="sam_nintendo"][QUOTE="windsquid9000"]

NaveedLife

haha yeah, instead consoles get Epic's gorey, insane run and gun shooters over and over again.

Yeah, Shadow Complex was a breath of fresh air, whereas Gears continues to be Gears. It makes me wondered what they'd do with a full game.
gangstaa9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 gangstaa9
Member since 2007 • 258 Posts

Looks like Dragon Quest swords with a touch screen and blood. Graphics look good though

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Infinity balde fore sure, but its not that far off from the 3DS. It just has better textures which makes it look alot cleaner. Also here is the correct size :P

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 windsquid9000

Infinity balde fore sure, but its not that far off from the 3DS. It just has better textures which makes it look alot cleaner. Also here is the correct size :P

painguy1

Image 1

The difference looks pretty freakin huge to me. Also, you were banned? What for?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17888 Posts
if i streamed crysis from my PC to an openPandora using something like streammygame would that count? :P overall infinity blade...better hardware makes better tech available leading to better visuals from a technical standpoint. gotta hand it to apple..their hardware has poke. as do other smartphones of course. god of war on the PSP is also very good.....kudos to the dev. on the DS i take my hat off to renegade kid for games like moon. granted a PSP or 3DS could render a game like that in standby but considering the hardware in the DS RK have pulled off a few minor miracles. not a graphics king in handhelds but certainly worthy of note.
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 windsquid9000

if i streamed crysis from my PC to an openPandora using something like streammygame would that count? :P overall infinity blade...better hardware makes better tech available leading to better visuals from a technical standpoint. gotta hand it to apple..their hardware has poke. as do other smartphones of course. god of war on the PSP is also very good.....kudos to the dev. on the DS i take my hat off to renegade kid for games like moon. granted a PSP or 3DS could render a game like that in standby but considering the hardware in the DS RK have pulled off a few minor miracles. not a graphics king in handhelds but certainly worthy of note.osan0
Muzzle flash illuminating the environment, bullet holes, volumetrics, gritty texture styling that makes up for the lacking resolution/filtration and offer a surprising amount of detail, ect. all at 60 FPS. Definitely worthy of note.

Dementium II:

Image 46Image 55

Image 86Image 102

Moon:

Image 68Image 83

Image 80Image 65

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

Well, until 3DS hits, I'd say that the best graphically would either be Ghost of Sparta, Birth By Sleep, or Peace Walker.

EDIT: Never Mind. Infinity Blade FTW.

Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Guaracy-
Member since 2010 • 653 Posts

The handheld GRAPHICS king is obviously the PSP.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="windsquid9000"]

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

painguy1

The difference looks pretty freakin huge to me. Also, you were banned? What for?

I got banned for quoting the "I am 12 & what is this?" meme. The mods actually thought I was 12 lol. & oh snap...nm i take that back It is a huge difference :? I guess its cuz no one ever made a sideby side comparison of the two lol :P Ill shut up now

That isnt really a fair comparison though. Mainly because the 3DS picture is zoomed right in on everything and the Iphone picture is not. Also because the Iphone has been out longer and devs have had time to figure it out. I am not denying it is more powerful, but I don think by THAT much.

Revelations

MGS3 3DS

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Wait...., is this an iphone screen shot or an Ipad?
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Somebody shrink those screens down to the actual size of the iphone screen. They look great, but still...

NintendoNite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NintendoNite
Member since 2010 • 728 Posts

windsquid9000
lmfao. those graphics wont mean a thing when your hand is in the way
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 windsquid9000

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="windsquid9000"]

I got banned for quoting the "I am 12 & what is this?" meme. The mods actually thought I was 12 lol. & oh snap...nm i take that back It is a huge difference :? I guess its cuz no one ever made a sideby side comparison of the two lol :P Ill shut up now

NaveedLife

That isnt really a fair comparison though. Mainly because the 3DS picture is zoomed right in on everything and the Iphone picture is not. Also because the Iphone has been out longer and devs have had time to figure it out. I am not denying it is more powerful, but I don think by THAT much.

The screenshot I used shows how detailed the character models are and you're free to look at the full-size screenshots on the first page to see how detailed IB is. The 3DS, in comparison, is severely lacking in polyonal detail, texture resolution and normal mapping. Also, not only is IB significantly more detailed, but the iPhone's screen resolution is 2.3 times the resolution of both the 3DS' screens combined. The iPhone's WAY more powerful.

painguy1

:lol: Well, at least things have been cleared up and you're back now. :)

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

windsquid9000

The screenshot I used shows how detailed the character models are and you're free to look at the full-size screenshots on the first page to see how detailed IB is. The 3DS, in comparison, is severely lacking in polyonal detail, texture resolution and normal mapping. Also, not only is IB significantly more detailed, but the iPhone's screen resolution is 2.3 times the resolution of both the 3DS' screens combined. The iPhone's WAY more powerful.

That is true about the resolution. I forgot just how crazy it is. Way past the DS, PSP, 3DS. Although I agree with you, I still think it was a bad comparison shot ;).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Still, I'm unsure if this is even a fair comparison. Whether people like it or not, 3D is still a factor. 3D is going to create a new way at looking at the games. Hypothetically speaking, let's say RE:Revelations is on both consoles. Let's say the iphone one is higher resolution and slightly more detailed. I'd be willing to bet that most people would still say the 3D version looks better.

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
I didn't know the Iphone could render games in 1600x1066.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NaveedLife

Still, I'm unsure if this is even a fair comparison. Whether people like it or not, 3D is still a factor. 3D is going to create a new way at looking at the games. Hypothetically speaking, let's say RE:Revelations is on both consoles. Let's say the iphone one is higher resolution and slightly more detailed. I'd be willing to bet that most people would still say the 3D version looks better.

Heirren

IDK. There is no question about it, the Iphone is a bit stronger. I just dont think its going to be a HUGE leap. And yes I don't know how games will look in 3D but I think I have noticed that movies in 3D feel pretty sharp. Maybe I am crazy lol. Either way, I know that the 3DS could play a game similar to Metroid Prime 3 and that makes me happy :). I am playing Prime 2 right now (wii edition) and even for today this game looks good. It is because of how much detail Retro put into it, as well as the phenomenal art design. Of course when it zooms in on something specific it doesnt look up to par, but when you are playing this is hardly noticeabl. In no way am I saying Metroid Prime 2 is on today's standards, but its still visually pleasing to me.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#39 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
[QUOTE="windsquid9000"]

sam_nintendo

Good God, are they actually developing Infinity Blade? Wasting resources on an iPhone game that could be going into Shadow Complex 2? F*** Epic, seriously.
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 windsquid9000

Heirren
An [over] 800:1 contrast ratio, insanely wide range of colors, and a dpi nearly beyond human perception vs. a decent screen with 3D Low-spec PC quality graphics vs. GC graphics with better lighting and shaders If any one did find the 3DS version to look better, it'd be a case of "ooh, it be comin' out da screen!"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

windsquid9000

An [over] 800:1 contrast ratio, insanely wide range of colors, and a dpi nearly beyond human perception vs. a decent screen with 3D Low-spec PC quality graphics vs. GC graphics with better lighting and shaders If any one did find the 3DS version to look better, it'd be a case of "ooh, it be comin' out da screen!"

I disagree. While the resolution on the iphones screen is very impressive and nice looking, it is still a small screen. IMO, a 3D effect adds more to the grandness factor than resolution. 3D has the effect making the image larger than it actually is. I'm not sure if I'm wording this in a way which is getting across what I'm trying to say.

ZombeGoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ZombeGoast
Member since 2010 • 437 Posts

The buildings in the background look like there only 2d with very low polygon count and focusing on the charecter model. And from the gameplay trailer the game would be on-rails which will take little to process things on-screen.

NotTarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NotTarts
Member since 2010 • 342 Posts

I'm going to agree with Heirren here. To a certain level, having an extra dimension of perception contributes more to the final quality of the image than a higher resolution does.

Also, windsquid, the GPU in the iPhone 3GS/4 is a PowerSGX 535, the same GPU used in very low end netbooks (the Intel GMA 500 chipset). Not very powerful at all - probably the lowest you could get in terms of a PC.

sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sam_nintendo
[QUOTE="sam_nintendo"][QUOTE="windsquid9000"]

Cherokee_Jack

Good God, are they actually developing Infinity Blade? Wasting resources on an iPhone game that could be going into Shadow Complex 2? F*** Epic, seriously.

I feel the same way (ish). I also just found out that they have the rights to the Enders Game video game, they could be doing something awesome with that too!
T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

yeah its just to bad the iphone/ipod touch has crappy battery.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 NaveedLife

yeah its just to bad the iphone/ipod touch has crappy battery.

T_REX305

Crappy battery and I for one dont want to use a touch screen for all my controls. It is impracitcal, annoying, and I hate my hands getting in the way.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Now: PSP, and likely MGS;PW

Future: 3DS

Future (likely): PSP2, as its hardware will likely be fully going for 2D.(3D eats up performance). Still don't know ***** about it.

tarzanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tarzanell
Member since 2006 • 1503 Posts
Ghost of Sparta. Anyone who's played it will agree with me.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15599 Posts

I like how everyone hypes infinity blade's graphics even though it's on iphone and therefore will probably play terribly.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I gotta say Infinity Blade looks great for a current gen handheld game.