Halo's Overrated!!!!!!!!!

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

For those of you who are part of the "Halo is overrated casual trash" camp, I direct you to exibits A and B.

Exibit A: Gamerankings Halo: Combat Evolved page http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/472132.asp

On this page note at the top the 96% overall rating (actually a 95.6%) based on the average score of 92 different media reviews that are only from sources deemed credible by Gamerankings. Also note that Halo CE is rated as the 9th best game of all time based on the average scores calculated by Gamerankings. Remember that these aren't user scores, they are scores taken from sources that are deemed credible, such as websites and magazines. I would also direct you to the identical 9.7's (97%)given to Halo: CE by both IGN and Gamespot, considered as two of the most credible review sources.

Exibit B: Gamerankings Halo 2 page http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/562116.asp?q=Halo%202

Also on this page we can note many similar features to exibit A. We see that across 112 media outlets Halo 2 averaged a score of 95% (actually a 94.6%), including a 9.4 (94%)from GS and a 9.8 (98%)from IGN. Also we can note that it is rated as the 21st best game of all time. Now I can't stress this enough, these average scores are calculated only using sites deemed credible. We can also note that IGN (which many SW forum users deem more reliable than GS) actually scored Halo 2 much higher than the average. Also of interest is that despite the number of people who are convinced GS is biased, IGN has actually rated Halo 2 higher, and the average is technically higher than the GS score.

So what do these exibits show? That professional writers in the gaming industry believe that Halo CE and Halo 2 are two of the finest games ever made. While everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion as to whether or not Halo CE and Halo 2 are good games, it is both futile and illogical to say that either Halo game is overrated considering how a huge pool of reviews can score it so high, particularily when two of the industries leading sources of reviews are close to the average, or even higher than the average in the case of Halo CE. The point is, there is no proof to support the theory that either Halo game is overrated.

Seckzy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Seckzy_Gamer
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts
Opinions are like owning a Ps3 or Wii - pointless
-Tretiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Tretiak
Member since 2007 • 2416 Posts

I agree that Halo: Combat Evolved is not overrated at all. It was fully deserving of the praise it got. After all, all of this hype had to have come from somewhere.

tsapman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tsapman2007
Member since 2005 • 719 Posts
Halo is ok for a concole FPS, Halo 2 is trash.
Seckzy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Seckzy_Gamer
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts

Halo is ok for a concole FPS, Halo 2 is trash.tsapman2007

The first Halo is better than the majority of PC fps

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts

Opinions are like owning a Ps3 or Wii - pointlessSeckzy_Gamer

What a loop..

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PBSnipes
Halo is ok for a concole FPS, Halo 2 is trash.tsapman2007
Did you even try to read my post? Or is that the standard answer you vomit out at the mention of Halo?
tsapman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tsapman2007
Member since 2005 • 719 Posts

[QUOTE="tsapman2007"]Halo is ok for a concole FPS, Halo 2 is trash.PBSnipes
Did you even try to read my post? Or is that the standard answer you vomit out at the mention of Halo?

It's the standard answer I vomit out at the mention of Halo

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Overated? No , Too easy? Yes ... as someone said on the Pc board:

"Far Cry Medium = Halo/Halo 2 Legendary".

plat1num913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 plat1num913
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts
Also note that halo ce is higher ranked then halflife 2, AND bioshock for the 360 pushed hl2 out of the top 10 on gamerankings
stefanlek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 stefanlek
Member since 2007 • 802 Posts
indeed
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PBSnipes
Also note that halo ce is higher ranked then halflife 2, AND bioshock for the 360 pushed hl2 out of the top 10 on gamerankingsplat1num913
Actually Bioshock 360 is ranked #4 on the all time list, and the scores aren't directly comparable because of the different standards of the various platforms. My point wasn't that Halo CE and Halo 2 are two of the best games ever, merely that to call them overrated or trash is illogical and frankly stupid.
Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Bansheesdie
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

Meu2k7

I've always thought both Halos were very fair at the Heroic difficulty. Saying they are too easy is a bit strange by me because Legendary is a complete b****, especially in Halo 2 were its more unfair then anything.

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts

Meu2k7

they plan on changing that in Halo 3, they said they're gonna make it harder.

plat1num913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 plat1num913
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts

[QUOTE="plat1num913"]Also note that halo ce is higher ranked then halflife 2, AND bioshock for the 360 pushed hl2 out of the top 10 on gamerankingsPBSnipes
Actually Bioshock 360 is ranked #4 on the all time list, and the scores aren't directly comparable because of the different standards of the various platforms. My point wasn't that Halo CE and Halo 2 are two of the best games ever, merely that to call them overrated or trash is illogical and frankly stupid.

doesnt change the fact that halo ce has a higher average then hl2

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
Halo:CE is really underrated and deserves all the praise it got and more. Halo2 on the other hand is highly overrated, was a huge step backwards in every way except that it had online multiplayer, which was really all it had going for it. But still it's a decent game... 7.5 I'd say. Even now Halo2 is painful to play after much better stuff has come out... well hell it was painful for me right away after obsessing over Halo:CE's greatness for 3 years only to have Halo2 suck balls and ruin every aspect I loved about the first.
manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts
Overrated and trash are two completely different things. Trash means the game is bad which is obviously stupid and not worth arguing with. Overrated is the fact that Halo 3 is by far and away the most hyped game of the year and may be the most hyped game of all time. Some people say it's an amazing game, but compared to the coverage of other great games like MP3, it's too much. I don't agree. I'm caught in the hype.
6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts

i personally think halo 2 has be dethroned as the let down xbox franchise. gears holds the honour.

and people can damm well say if a game is over-rated. your post doesnty even proves its not over-rated.

whoody12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 whoody12
Member since 2004 • 4717 Posts

Halo is great for console's, but not for PC's

becouse for the PC we just have much better shooters, so the bar is much higher for PC

althrough I truely enjoyed Halo:CE with 3 friends LAN

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PBSnipes
Overrated and trash are two completely different things. Trash means the game is bad which is obviously stupid and not worth arguing with. Overrated is the fact that Halo 3 is by far and away the most hyped game of the year and may be the most hyped game of all time. Some people say it's an amazing game, but compared to the coverage of other great games like MP3, it's too much. I don't agree. I'm caught in the hype.manningbowl135
Overrated is the score. I believe you meant over-hyped when refering to Halo 3. Overrated and over-hyped are two very different terms.
sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sakura_Ex
Member since 2007 • 3066 Posts
Yes Halo is overrated,Golden Eye for the N64 was better imo.
6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 6matt6

Yes Halo is overrated,Golden Eye for the N64 was better imo.sakura_Ex

its a shame the game hasnt aged well.

Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts

Meu2k7

:lol: Nope, I can actually survive in Far Cry longer than I can in Halo..If anything..Halo 2 Legendary is to unforgiving.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PBSnipes
Yes Halo is overrated,Golden Eye for the N64 was better imo.sakura_Ex
FYI if you check Gamerankings and GS Goldeneye is rated higher than Halo, so your point is moot.
Phanrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Phanrang
Member since 2005 • 1496 Posts
NO ****!
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#27 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

[QUOTE="plat1num913"]Also note that halo ce is higher ranked then halflife 2, AND bioshock for the 360 pushed hl2 out of the top 10 on gamerankingsPBSnipes

Well fanboys are fanboys you know. The most hardcore fanboy outthere can tell you that any worthless game is better than Halo CE or Halo 2 just to get you irritated. Ignore them

manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts

[QUOTE="manningbowl135"]Overrated and trash are two completely different things. Trash means the game is bad which is obviously stupid and not worth arguing with. Overrated is the fact that Halo 3 is by far and away the most hyped game of the year and may be the most hyped game of all time. Some people say it's an amazing game, but compared to the coverage of other great games like MP3, it's too much. I don't agree. I'm caught in the hype.PBSnipes
Overrated is the score. I believe you meant over-hyped when refering to Halo 3. Overrated and over-hyped are two very different terms.

I mean both. Some people may think it's overrated for all the hype, mania and accolades it gets. Example: I think Tom Brady is an amazing QB, but he's overrated b/c he gets too much attention for a QB his caliber. Same works for Halo. Again, I don't believe that, but some might and they can NOT be fanboys.

mgreener_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29 mgreener_34
Member since 2006 • 5181 Posts
Halo1 was amazing for its time, and still is a good game...Halo2 was trash, and the only good thing about it was multiplayer :?
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PBSnipes

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"][QUOTE="manningbowl135"]Overrated and trash are two completely different things. Trash means the game is bad which is obviously stupid and not worth arguing with. Overrated is the fact that Halo 3 is by far and away the most hyped game of the year and may be the most hyped game of all time. Some people say it's an amazing game, but compared to the coverage of other great games like MP3, it's too much. I don't agree. I'm caught in the hype.manningbowl135

I mean both. Some people may think it's overrated for all the hype, mania and accolades it gets. Example: I think Tom Brady is an amazing QB, but he's overrated b/c he gets too much attention for a QB his caliber. Same works for Halo. Again, I don't believe that, but some might and they can NOT be fanboys.

Ok I see what you're getting at, and I'd generally agree. The thread was aimed more at the mindless thought that Halo doesn't deserve its scores and that the game sucks, and that there is some giant conspiracy to boost Halo's scores.
6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 6matt6
[QUOTE="manningbowl135"]

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"][QUOTE="manningbowl135"]Overrated and trash are two completely different things. Trash means the game is bad which is obviously stupid and not worth arguing with. Overrated is the fact that Halo 3 is by far and away the most hyped game of the year and may be the most hyped game of all time. Some people say it's an amazing game, but compared to the coverage of other great games like MP3, it's too much. I don't agree. I'm caught in the hype.PBSnipes

Ok I see what you're getting at, and I'd generally agree. The thread was aimed more at the mindless thought that Halo doesn't deserve its scores and that the game sucks, and that there is some giant conspiracy to boost Halo's scores.

people are allowed to believea game is over-rated. while i agree most people who claim it are blind fanboys i still reserve the right to say gears is over-rated.

NickyJoe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NickyJoe_
Member since 2007 • 76 Posts

becouse for the PC we just have much better shooters, so the bar is much higher for PC

whoody12

We will see if PC has many FPS better than Halo 3 ;)

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

Meu2k7

I finished Farcry on medium with adaptive AI, it was tough but I did it. However it took me and my friend 2 hours in co-op on Legendary to finish the first intro level of Halo CE (XBOX version). Halo is easier on the PC because of M&K.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
The only problem is that HAlo 2 wasn't much better than Halo:CE yet Metroid Prime 2 wasn't much better than Metroid Prime either.
Hk47ownz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hk47ownz
Member since 2007 • 89 Posts

Ita about time someone voiced this. Halo 2 was still good, but not as good as Halo CE

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DeadMan1290
[QUOTE="whoody12"]

NickyJoe_

We will see if PC has many FPS better than Halo 3 ;)

Crys...Um...Yeah their might be better PC FPS' than Halo 3.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PBSnipes
people are allowed to believea game is over-rated. while i agree most people who claim it are blind fanboys i still reserve the right to say gears is over-rated.6matt6
Not really, you have the right to an opinion and to disagree with a review, but not the right to say another person's opinion is wrong, especially when that person's opnion (in the case of the Gears reviews) is well supported.
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DeadMan1290

The only problem is that HAlo 2 wasn't much better than Halo:CE yet Metroid Prime 2 wasn't much better than Metroid Prime either.meetroid8

But were both AAA all over the place x_x

6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 6matt6

[QUOTE="6matt6"]people are allowed to believea game is over-rated. while i agree most people who claim it are blind fanboys i still reserve the right to say gears is over-rated.PBSnipes
Not really, you have the right to an opinion and to disagree with a review, but not the right to say another person's opinion is wrong, especially when that person's opnion (in the case of the Gears reviews) is well supported.

and the opinion that gears has a laggy and glitchy online and a short single player campaign is not valid or supported?

RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts

Opinions are like owning a Ps3 or Wii - pointlessSeckzy_Gamer

Pointless if you're a biased non-gamer Lemming, of course.

Dopemonk736

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dopemonk736
Member since 2006 • 2731 Posts
PC has only one title better than Halo IMO, and that is Half-Life 2.
vickissv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 vickissv2
Member since 2004 • 1951 Posts

What good and ground-breaking game isn't arguably overrated ?

No apostrophe. In the topic title btw

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]The only problem is that HAlo 2 wasn't much better than Halo:CE yet Metroid Prime 2 wasn't much better than Metroid Prime either.DeadMan1290

Well a AAA game not being as good as another AAA game doesn't make it a not AAA game.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DeadMan1290

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"][QUOTE="6matt6"]people are allowed to believea game is over-rated. while i agree most people who claim it are blind fanboys i still reserve the right to say gears is over-rated.6matt6

and the opinion that gears has a laggy and glitchy online and a short single player campaign is not valid or supported?

He said it is well supported. Unless I'm blind and read the wrong thing.

Vax45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Vax45
Member since 2005 • 4834 Posts
The multiplayer is a lot of fun, not so much the single player though.
6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 6matt6
[QUOTE="6matt6"]

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"][QUOTE="6matt6"]people are allowed to believea game is over-rated. while i agree most people who claim it are blind fanboys i still reserve the right to say gears is over-rated.DeadMan1290

He said it is well supported. Unless I'm blind and read the wrong thing.

so when people bring up reviews in arguements i just have to drop my opinion because i cant say its wrong?

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DeadMan1290
[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]The only problem is that HAlo 2 wasn't much better than Halo:CE yet Metroid Prime 2 wasn't much better than Metroid Prime either.meetroid8

Well a AAA game not being as good as another AAA game doesn't make it a not AAA game.

Well said. Hell, your post is going in my sig. that's how well said it is.

legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts
yeah it is
Avatar image for LegendofYaslint
LegendofYaslint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

#49 LegendofYaslint
Member since 2004 • 2798 Posts

Halo1 was amazing for its time, and still is a good game...Halo2 was trash, and the only good thing about it was multiplayer :? mgreener_34

I understand people saying the first Halo had a better campaign, but calling halo 2 "trash" is just letting everyone know you either didn't play the game, or have nothing but the first Halo to compare it to b/c compared to the rest of the console shooters Halo 2 is still far superior to most.

I think there isa reason why Halo 2 is so highly rated and I think an even more obvious reason why so many people call the Halo franchise "overrated trash"all the time, it's called fanboyism and unrealistic expectations.

I spent a bunch of money on my PC to play Doom 3 and Half life 2, and while HL2 was at least good, neither came close to my expectations. I had too high expectations for Halo 2 as well, but it's still a good game in it's own right, it just wasn't the second coming like so many were foolish enough to believe.

overrated is only an opinion anyhow. anyone who doesn't like a game can say it's overrated, but that ONLY means it is overrated to them, not that it being overrated is a fact.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PBSnipes

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"][QUOTE="6matt6"]people are allowed to believea game is over-rated. while i agree most people who claim it are blind fanboys i still reserve the right to say gears is over-rated.6matt6

I'm not saying they're not valid, quite the opposite infact. I'm saying everyone's opinion is valid, so using the term overrated when there is a large portion of people who think it deserved the rating it recieved is wrong. I'm not saying you have to like it, just that you have to respect other people's opinions. Calling a game overrated means that you believe your opinion is more valid than others, and in the case of Gears many of the opinions in support of its rating (such as the IGN and GS reviews) carry more clout than your opinion does.