Halo Reach to set a new bar for quality - Some really great things from Rare !

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

There some really good stuff here and i'll just post some of the things that immedialy jumped out at me but yea, some very interesting things in the full read. I'm getting more & more interested in the whole Natal thing but that's not to say I ever want to give up the option of using my 360 controller. :P

Any thoughts, feel free.

First there is this:

Okay, and you've got Reach coming out next year. Any idea when the Halo Reach beta will show up?

No, not yet. The game is actually coming along really well. I would say as well as any game that Bungie's worked on. And our kind of internal playing that we're doing right now is showing that this could be a really special release for us, together, something where the quality might set a new bar.

Did the split between Bungie and Microsoft earlier have any effect on that game?

If it did, we're seeing a pretty positive game, so ...

Maybe you should break up with all the other guys, too.

[Laughs.] No, no. Bungie remains very committed to building great games. Halo is near and dear to that studio's heart, as it is for us as a publisher. The relationship between us and Bungie remains strong. And I think ODST and Reach are just the next examples of us doing great things together.

What about the Peter Jackson project? Why did the bottom fall out there?

For us, when we step back and we start looking at the Halo franchise, we want to make sure that we're ... You brought up the term earlier, we're not kind of over-saturating the market with Halo content. We're not just doing things because there's, say, some kind of revenue opportunity there. But we want to do things that time, that really sync with the overall franchise plan and help tell parts of the story that are important to our customers. And, I think, Peter's a great director, a great story teller and seems to be doing great things. And we continue to stay focus on making Halo what it is.

Do you think there's a possibility of the movie coming back into play?

The Halo movie, you know, it could. I think about Halo as something that's very important to us and something that we wouldn't want to jeopardize the quality of the IP by getting into a space where we didn't have shared goals with the partner and that the timing worked. There's so many variables when you take two different creative industries and try to come up with the right property, the right shipping product at the right time, and make sure both people have enough time to focus on the quality. It's just a delicate balance. And I don't want to get into a situation where we're not completely comfortable with what we're going to ship.

And also this:

Speaking of Rare, what are they up to these days?

Well, obviously, Rare was instrumental to shipping Avatars in a NXE. They really did a lot of the background work and the work that people are using inside the Dash, which I thought was great. And Rare has shipped great games in their history, but actually [having] built part of the operating system on their own and [to] ship it inside the Dash, I thought was a great accomplishment.

You know, now they have 20, 30 million people and are building Avatars using their tech. I thought that was great. I think George Andreas, who is one of the creative directors there, was in the press not too long [ago] talking about looking at Natal and what some of the ideas are. I think we're coming into a world now that really maps to what Rare's strength is. And we're going to see some really great things from that studio in the next year or so.

Some good stuff for Natal?

Yeah, absolutely.

If you look at the Natal launch, and it's been said to be on par with a console launch, do you think it's safe to draw conclusions about the Xbox 360's overall lifespan?

We started Xbox 360 with an investment in technology that we thought could grow with us. We realized Microsoft is a platform company. We're a software company. We can build hardware, but at the core we build operating systems and experiences, and we wanted to make sure that 360 was a hardware platform that was capable for us, that we could evolve on top with the cores inside -- this GPU and CPU and memory technology that we had. And that's been proven to be true.

NXE last fall: we rewrote the complete operating system of the machine and really added, I think, some great new functionality for our customers. Natal is something that we'll ship and when it ships it will work with every 360 in the market. I think that's a great statement on the technology that's inside the 360. Customers have invested in that and letting them get the most out of their investment is going to be important. And I think the future for us on top of 360 remains strong and will for years to come.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/14/interview-microsoft-game-studios-phil-spencer/

Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts
lol, comes to show that even though u haz reconz you are still a noob.:P
sillaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sillaris
Member since 2008 • 1083 Posts

PS3 motion wand > wii control and natal

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice

lol, comes to show that even though u haz reconz you are still a noob.:PSpiritOfFire117
:lol: Why you say dat, splain it to me Lucy. :P

Blixxed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Blixxed
Member since 2009 • 1800 Posts

I thought Halo Reach beta was supposed to come mid-way/summer next year.

Probably after an E3 demo 'it'll launch at midnight tonight' or some stupid crap.

And they'll probably throw the beta in with alan Wake as well, to try and sell a couple of more copies.

SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SpiritOfFire117

[QUOTE="SpiritOfFire117"]lol, comes to show that even though u haz reconz you are still a noob.:PSecretPolice

Just commenting on the pic. Unless of course you actually have Recon.:o
CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

[QUOTE="SpiritOfFire117"]lol, comes to show that even though u haz reconz you are still a noob.:PSecretPolice

lol, look at the picture...tell me, who's dead?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="SpiritOfFire117"]lol, comes to show that even though u haz reconz you are still a noob.:PCDUB316

lol, look at the picture...tell me, who's dead?

Okayyy - I see what ya talkin bout now. :oops:

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Gah, I can't freaking wait for the prequel to Combat Evolved. Gonna be so damn tiiight, homie!

Blixxed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blixxed

sillaris
Uh, PS Wand = Wii mote +Wii Motion Plus. All = waste of money.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Probably after an E3 demo 'it'll launch at midnight tonight' or some stupid crap.

And they'll probably throw the beta in with alan Wake as well, to try and sell a couple of more copies.

Blixxed

It makes sense. That's Beta's for you, incomplete too, so hopefully folks won't complain about the lack of weapons or whatever.

I know REACH is named due to the novels, but I wonder if it could be a double-entendre for NATAL as well...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="Blixxed"]

SolidTy

It makes sense. That's Beta's for you, incomplete too, so hopefully folks won't complain about the lack of weapons or whatever.

I know REACH is named due to the novels, but I wonder if it could be a double-entendre for NATAL as well...

Coincidence me thinks but a great thought none the less. :)

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

What I read from SecretPolice:"Halo Reach to set a new bar for quality"

What I read from Microsoft Game Studios:"The game is actually coming along really well. I would say as well as any game that Bungie's worked on."

Call me crazy, but these two statements don't quite match up.

kulmiye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kulmiye
Member since 2004 • 12094 Posts
Sure brag it because when you talk the talk you got to walk the walk.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SecretPolice

Gah, I can't freaking wait for the prequel to Combat Evolved. Gonna be so damn tiiight, homie!

BioShockOwnz

Indeed, been asking for and predicting a prequel since beginning of this gen. Also, ditto for Rare and a new Conker. C'mon MS/Rare, I want to hear that announced already.

Blixxed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blixxed

[QUOTE="Blixxed"]

SolidTy

It might be on option, it'd be stupid to require it.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SecretPolice

What I read from Bungie:"The game is actually coming along really well. I would say as well as any game that Bungie's worked on."

Call me crazy, bu these two statements don't quite match up.

nervmeister

Not so much crazy as lazy :P

No, not yet. The game is actually coming along really well. I would say as well as any game that Bungie's worked on. And our kind of internal playing that we're doing right now is showing that this could be a really special release for us, together, something where the quality might set a new bar.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

the hype train that goes to the unknown, that's what i hate abt MS.

KingTuttle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KingTuttle
Member since 2006 • 2471 Posts

Next year is guaranteed to have a ton of drama...Sony and MS are going to be scrapping it out hard and I believe it to be the most important year for them to decide who takes holds the #2 slot when the dust settles at the end of this gen.

I am glad that MS and Sony went the route of doing motion controls and such as an afterthought/add on. I really can't stand motion controls...unless there's the female crowd over the house and we bust out the wii.

I am curious what Reach is all about. Do we even know if it's a FPS? Do we know anything really besides that its a prequel?

Blixxed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blixxed

Next year is guaranteed to have a ton of drama...Sony and MS are going to be scrapping it out hard and I believe it to be the most important year for them to decide who takes holds the #2 slot when the dust settles at the end of this gen.

I am glad that MS and Sony went the route of doing motion controls and such as an afterthought/add on. I really can't stand motion controls...unless there's the female crowd over the house and we bust out the wii.

I am curious what Reach is all about. Do we even know if it's a FPS? Do we know anything really besides that its a prequel?

KingTuttle
Yes it's an FPS. And I can tell you the story of Reach, or a summary of the book. But that'd ruin it for you, wouldn't it? :(
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nervmeister

[QUOTE="nervmeister"]

What I read from Bungie:"The game is actually coming along really well. I would say as well as any game that Bungie's worked on."

SecretPolice

My bad, but the word "might" doesn't exactly imply certainty.

EDIT: And clever play on words, by the way.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

The picture is a Recon Spartan getting decked.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="nervmeister"]

nervmeister

Honestly, I only omitted "might" in the topic b/c I couldn't fit all in that I wanted to about Rare as well so I thought WTH, it's there in the first sentence so ya know, hope it's all good. :)

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nervmeister
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="nervmeister"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Not so much crazy as lazy :P

Honestly, I only omitted "might" in the topic b/c I couldn't fit all in that I wanted to about Rare as well so I thought WTH, it's there in the first sentence so ya know, hope it's all good. :)

That's understandable.
sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sakura_Ex
Member since 2007 • 3066 Posts
All talk and no action.It amazes me how this game gets sooo much hype with no pics or nothing.* scratches head *
KingTuttle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KingTuttle
[QUOTE="KingTuttle"]

Blixxed
Yes it's an FPS. And I can tell you the story of Reach, or a summary of the book. But that'd ruin it for you, wouldn't it? :(

Thanks. Yeah I guess it would ruin it....but more for others. I wonder if they are using a new graphics engine actually. I am curious to see if they raise the bar graphically again. I have never been a huge Halo fan. Sci-Fi shooters have always been tier2 for me...I like more modern/near modern shooters with some sort of realism.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
All talk and no action.It amazes me how this game gets sooo much hype with no pics or nothing.* scratches head *sakura_Ex
well some people hype Agent too and very few people hype Zelda wii too (due the lack of wii fans in SW) all these 3 examples are worth a chuckle anyways...
KingTuttle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KingTuttle
All talk and no action.It amazes me how this game gets sooo much hype with no pics or nothing.* scratches head *sakura_Ex
Answer: It's the next Halo.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SecretPolice

Bungies track record ( 4 Halo games, 4 AAA's ) is one big reason though I agree, we need to see some solid evidence to be sure.

sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sakura_Ex
Member since 2007 • 3066 Posts

[QUOTE="sakura_Ex"]All talk and no action.It amazes me how this game gets sooo much hype with no pics or nothing.* scratches head *Giancar
well some people hype Agent too and very few people hype Zelda wii too (due the lack of wii fans in SW) all these 3 examples are worth a chuckle anyways...

True,but the hype level for Halo Reach is ridiculous.

I'll say this.... for all the hype this game is getting it better have better graphics than Killzone 2.

SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SpiritOfFire117
Because most fans know the significance of the subtitle.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

[QUOTE="sakura_Ex"]All talk and no action.It amazes me how this game gets sooo much hype with no pics or nothing.* scratches head *KingTuttle
Answer: It's the next Halo.

Yup. It's the next Bungie entry into its incredibly successful AAA franchise. And it's a prequel to the Halo game that most people love the most. Of course it'll get hyped without any screens or vids.

akira2465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 akira2465
Member since 2004 • 1194 Posts

Can't wait to see some actual media concening Reach.

The point that stood out for me is they have Rare spending all this time making avatars, really? couldn't they have been used to I don't know make a game? especially with the 360 lineup being somewhat flat this year. You'd figure they could have had KI ready for this year if they weren't working on 10 different halo t-shirts for your avatar

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SpruceCaboose

The point that stood out for me is they have Rare spending all this time making avatars, really? couldn't they have been used to I don't know make a game? especially with the 360 lineup being somewhat flat this year. You'd figure they could have had KI ready for this year if they weren't working on 10 different halo t-shirts for your avatar

akira2465
And we know that they are not working on a game how?
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts

BioShockOwnz
It's also the preqel to 2 & 3, you know?
KingTuttle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KingTuttle
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

aaronmullan
It's also the preqel to 2 & 3, you know?

Hmm. Obviously.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="akira2465"]

SpruceCaboose

In fact I took it meaning at least one game is coming in a year or so when he said: "Expect some great things from Rare in a year or so." Especially when Rare is so involved with the whole Natal project, they must have a game working with it me thinks.:)

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SpruceCaboose

In fact I took it meaning at least one game is coming in a year or so when he said: "Expect some great things from Rare in a year or so." Especially when Rare is so involved with the whole Natal project, they must have a game working with it me thinks.:)

SecretPolice
I am sure they do. However, how MS treats Natal is going to dictate to me completely whether or not I will support the tech behind it. It has many potential uses, so I just hope MS treats it more than a Wiimote/Minigame vehicle.
Blixxed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Blixxed

akira2465
In the real world, not System Wars, Microsoft has released quite a few games this year, or has bought console exclusivity for titles or DLC. All that matters to them, Rare will have at least 2 games out for Natal probably.
akira2465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 akira2465

[QUOTE="akira2465"]

SpruceCaboose

We can be sure they are working on something but wasting one of your biggest studios' resources on avatars is bad mangement. If the people working on avatars were working on a game , it would have been out quicker (maybe this year) which would have helped MS alot more

akira2465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 akira2465

[QUOTE="akira2465"]

Blixxed

In the real world, not System Wars, Microsoft has released quite a few games this year, or has bought console exclusivity for titles or DLC. All that matters to them, Rare will have at least 2 games out for Natal probably.

Great so now you can pet Conker in his next natal adventure.

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

[QUOTE="sillaris"]

Blixxed

Correct! Anything to do with motion control fails in comparison to a traditional controller. I really hope it doesn't become the main focus for the other two consoles.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SpruceCaboose

We can be sure they are working on something but wasting one of your biggest studios' resources on avatars is bad mangement. If the people working on avatars were working on a game , it would have been out quicker (maybe this year) which would have helped MS alot more

akira2465
And Avatars are a waste of time because you feel they are? Same could be said for Home, which also took a developer away from other projects. Waste of time to you could be a valid form of entertainment to someone else.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SpruceCaboose

[QUOTE="Blixxed"][QUOTE="sillaris"]

Asim90

Correct! Anything to do with motion control fails in comparison to a traditional controller. I really hope it doesn't become the main focus for the other two consoles.

Play Tiger Woods 10 on PS3/360 and then on the Wii. Motion controls are not for everything, but to say they fail in all cases is flat out false.
Blixxed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Blixxed

[QUOTE="Blixxed"][QUOTE="sillaris"]

Asim90

I'd become a PC gamer then. (I'm one of the furthest things from a PC gamer, but not quite a Wii gamer, so I'm in the middle. ) :)
jakehouston88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 jakehouston88
Member since 2009 • 2848 Posts

I call rehash.

SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SpiritOfFire117

I call rehash.

jakehouston88
And you would know how?
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="jakehouston88"]

I call rehash.

SpiritOfFire117
And you would know how?

Its not on PS3.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SecretPolice

I call rehash.

jakehouston88

A prequel to Halo C.E. is a rehash ? C'mon now.

SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SpiritOfFire117
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="SpiritOfFire117"][QUOTE="jakehouston88"]

I call rehash.

And you would know how?