halo can't kill halflife

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sillaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sillaris
Member since 2008 • 1083 Posts
halo cant come anywhere close to how great the halflife series is
coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 coakroach
Member since 2005 • 1356 Posts
I like Halo better than Half-life Cooler enemies and the ability to play with other people gets a thumbs up in my book
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
Well I could be wrong but I think the Halo games sold better. Therefore, the general consensus is that Halo is better.
ramboturd72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 ramboturd72
Member since 2008 • 3514 Posts
Add IMO to your post and you'll likely get flamed less in the coming posts. :P
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
Well I could be wrong but I think the Halo games sold better. Therefore, the general consensus is that Halo is better.Zero5000X
like 50 cents bulletproof :o
Pdiddy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pdiddy105
Member since 2007 • 4577 Posts
your sig scares me
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zero5000X
[QUOTE="Zero5000X"]Well I could be wrong but I think the Halo games sold better. Therefore, the general consensus is that Halo is better.Giancar

Yea I guess. Though that game sold under 2 million copies so it really isn't on the same level as these games.
bladeeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bladeeagle
Member since 2006 • 1863 Posts

[QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="Zero5000X"]Well I could be wrong but I think the Halo games sold better. Therefore, the general consensus is that Halo is better.Zero5000X

Yea I guess. Though that game sold under 2 million copies so it really isn't on the same level as these games.

Wii Sports must be the best game in the world!

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Giancar
[QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="Zero5000X"]Well I could be wrong but I think the Halo games sold better. Therefore, the general consensus is that Halo is better.Zero5000X

guess Okami is one of the worst games ever :(
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zero5000X

[QUOTE="Zero5000X"][QUOTE="Giancar"] like 50 cents bulletproof :obladeeagle

It hasn't sold any copies. It comes with the Wii.
BetaRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BetaRay
Member since 2009 • 118 Posts

Halo has already surpassed Half Life

Not saying its better but it is a bigger franchise and game

LordDhampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LordDhampire
Member since 2006 • 772 Posts

Well I could be wrong but I think the Halo games sold better. Therefore, the general consensus is that Halo is better.Zero5000X

Actually the half-Life 2 has sold more than halo 3 ...SO Halflife>Halo

noswear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 noswear
Member since 2008 • 3263 Posts
[QUOTE="bladeeagle"]

[QUOTE="Zero5000X"] Yea I guess. Though that game sold under 2 million copies so it really isn't on the same level as these games.Zero5000X

It hasn't sold any copies. It comes with the Wii.

Fine then, Wii Fit.
tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts
why can't they get along
-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts
Halo is not in direct competition with the Half-Life series. Both series offer an excellent library of games; true gamers spend more time having fun playing said games rather than bickering over whether the Master Chief or Gordon Freeman would win in a deathmatch.
Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shafftehr
Member since 2008 • 2889 Posts
Doesn't have to. It's already bigger than Half-Life. They'll both continue to be legends with their respective audiences... Except for with people like me, who can really quite enjoy both of these excellent series.
agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts
Hamburgers sell better than steaks. Hamburgers > Steaks?
LordDhampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LordDhampire
Member since 2006 • 772 Posts

[QUOTE="Zero5000X"]Well I could be wrong but I think the Halo games sold better. Therefore, the general consensus is that Halo is better.agentfred

Yes, that is exactly righ, except by this logic.....Wii>good consoles

and this is not true

Avatar image for EndorphinMaster
EndorphinMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EndorphinMaster
Member since 2009 • 2118 Posts

[QUOTE="Zero5000X"]Well I could be wrong but I think the Halo games sold better. Therefore, the general consensus is that Halo is better.agentfred

Hamburgers cost less than steaks. Halo doesn't cost less than Half Life.

KalEl370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KalEl370
Member since 2007 • 907 Posts
too bad Halo can't kill you sig, that thing is annoying.....but on topic, I enjoy both series so who cares.
agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 agentfred
Hamburgers cost less than steaks. Halo doesn't cost less than Half Life.EndorphinMaster
True of course. I know the analogy isn't perfect, I merely use it to demonstrate that sales don't necessarily point to quality.
Avatar image for EndorphinMaster
EndorphinMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EndorphinMaster
Member since 2009 • 2118 Posts

[QUOTE="EndorphinMaster"]Hamburgers cost less than steaks. Halo doesn't cost less than Half Life.agentfred
True of course. I know the analogy isn't perfect, I merely use it to demonstrate that sales don't necessarily point to quality.

I agree with that.

BetaRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BetaRay
Member since 2009 • 118 Posts
regardless halo has left a bigger legacy so i hope that answers your question
cuddlesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cuddlesofwar
Member since 2008 • 1138 Posts
[QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="Zero5000X"][QUOTE="Giancar"] like 50 cents bulletproof :o

I know i thought it was a total waste of time.
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
Halo is mainly an Xbox franchise. Half-Life is mainly a PC franchise. They're not even competing on the same platform for the most part, it's highly unlikely that one will "kill" the other.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Giancar
[QUOTE="cuddlesofwar"][QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="Zero5000X"] Yea I guess. Though that game sold under 2 million copies so it really isn't on the same level as these games.

I know i thought it was a total waste of time.

I thought it was 06 goty...better than geow, ffX12 and TP
cuddlesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cuddlesofwar
Halo is mainly an Xbox franchise. Half-Life is mainly a PC franchise. They're not even competing on the same platform for the most part, it's highly unlikely that one will "kill" the other. aliblabla2007
Completely different games, with hugely different audiences. Halo is mainstream King. Half-life ... isnt
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zero5000X
[QUOTE="EndorphinMaster"]Hamburgers cost less than steaks. Halo doesn't cost less than Half Life.agentfred

Sales are the only actual way to measure quality though. At least in a setting like this where there are many many opinions.
cuddlesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cuddlesofwar
[QUOTE="agentfred"][QUOTE="EndorphinMaster"]Hamburgers cost less than steaks. Halo doesn't cost less than Half Life.Zero5000X

Sales are the only actual way to measure quality though. At least in a setting like this where there are many many opinions.

Ahhh, a smart one ^^
agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 agentfred
Sales are the only actual way to measure quality though. At least in a setting like this where there are many many opinions.Zero5000X
Popularity and quality aren't the same though. There is certainly a correlation, but the relationship isn't causal. There are a number of reasons why a great game may not sell well, like appealing to a narrow audience, being poorly advertised, being on a unpopular system/requiring an expensive PC to run, etc., etc. The point is, Halo is a series that receives tens of millions in marketing, the originals were by far the best games on the Xbox, and are incredibly popular for reasons that are not necessarily due to quality. Half Life doesn't sell to badly itself, but it doesn't have as many things going for it. Therefore, using sales to prove one game is better than the other is just flawed logically.
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zero5000X
[QUOTE="agentfred"][QUOTE="Zero5000X"] Sales are the only actual way to measure quality though. At least in a setting like this where there are many many opinions.

Popularity and quality aren't the same though. There is certainly a correlation, but the relationship isn't causal. There are a number of reasons why a great game may not sell well, like appealing to a narrow audience, being poorly advertised, being on a unpopular system/requiring an expensive PC to run, etc., etc. The point is, Halo is a series that receives tens of million in marketing, the originals were by far the best games on the Xbox, and are incredibly popular for reasons that are not necessarily due to quality. Half Life doesn't sell to badly itself, but it doesn't have as many things going for it. Therefore, using sales to prove one game is better than the other is just flawed logically.

So doing my opinion vs. your opinion vs. everyone else's is somehow more logical?
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Giancar
[QUOTE="Zero5000X"][QUOTE="agentfred"][QUOTE="Zero5000X"] Sales are the only actual way to measure quality though. At least in a setting like this where there are many many opinions.

Popularity and quality aren't the same though. There is certainly a correlation, but the relationship isn't causal. There are a number of reasons why a great game may not sell well, like appealing to a narrow audience, being poorly advertised, being on a unpopular system/requiring an expensive PC to run, etc., etc. The point is, Halo is a series that receives tens of million in marketing, the originals were by far the best games on the Xbox, and are incredibly popular for reasons that are not necessarily due to quality. Half Life doesn't sell to badly itself, but it doesn't have as many things going for it. Therefore, using sales to prove one game is better than the other is just flawed logically.

So doing my opinion vs. your opinion vs. everyone else's is somehow more logical?

no, but the messing the averge videogaming press opinion is more logical
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zero5000X
[QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="Zero5000X"][QUOTE="agentfred"] Popularity and quality aren't the same though. There is certainly a correlation, but the relationship isn't causal. There are a number of reasons why a great game may not sell well, like appealing to a narrow audience, being poorly advertised, being on a unpopular system/requiring an expensive PC to run, etc., etc. The point is, Halo is a series that receives tens of million in marketing, the originals were by far the best games on the Xbox, and are incredibly popular for reasons that are not necessarily due to quality. Half Life doesn't sell to badly itself, but it doesn't have as many things going for it. Therefore, using sales to prove one game is better than the other is just flawed logically.

not really cause that goes back to random people's opinions.
shaneras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 shaneras
Member since 2003 • 1346 Posts
regardless halo has left a bigger legacy so i hope that answers your questionBetaRay
/facepalm
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Giancar

[QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="Zero5000X"] So doing my opinion vs. your opinion vs. everyone else's is somehow more logical?Zero5000X

not really cause that goes back to random people's opinions.

No. There are bad elements in the videogaming press that's a given.

But there is a huge part of very objective press, that counts way more than just sales...

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
IT NEVER TRIED TOO. Jeeesh.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#37 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Don't forget all the mods that spawn out of Half-Life, including Counter-Strike, arguably the greatest online FPS of all time.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#38 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I'll take a Halo game over a Half Life game anyday.
Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shafftehr
Don't forget all the mods that spawn out of Half-Life, including Counter-Strike, arguably the greatest online FPS of all time.hiphops_savior
Here's one thing I always wonder about... Why are the mods accredited to Half-Life rather than the engine? Counter Strike isn't Half-Life. It doesn't play at all like Half-Life. The weapons are different, characters are different, damage system is different, damn near everything is different... What's the same? The engine. It's essentially a fan-made game on the HL engine - but it's not Half-Life. So why does Half-Life, the game, get so much credit for how good its engine is? I don't see people saying that Unreal is a better game because Gears was made for it, or how spiffy Gears is because its engine was even used to make a solid JRPG in the form of Lost Odyssey. The only GAME I see get credited for what was done for its engine is Half-Life - and HL fanboys just love to lump CS, TF, and HL together like they were all the same game. In reality, they`re three different games which share an engine - and in some cases, a developer... So why does one game get puffed up as better based on another game made on the same engine?
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]Don't forget all the mods that spawn out of Half-Life, including Counter-Strike, arguably the greatest online FPS of all time.Shafftehr
Here's one thing I always wonder about... Why are the mods accredited to Half-Life rather than the engine? Counter Strike isn't Half-Life. It doesn't play at all like Half-Life. The weapons are different, characters are different, damage system is different, damn near everything is different... What's the same? The engine. It's essentially a fan-made game on the HL engine - but it's not Half-Life. So why does Half-Life, the game, get so much credit for how good its engine is? I don't see people saying that Unreal is a better game because Gears was made for it, or how spiffy Gears is because its engine was even used to make a solid JRPG in the form of Lost Odyssey. The only GAME I see get credited for what was done for its engine is Half-Life - and HL fanboys just love to lump CS, TF, and HL together like they were all the same game. In reality, they`re three different games which share an engine - and in some cases, a developer... So why does one game get puffed up as better based on another game made on the same engine?

Well, they are mods for this particular game. They aren't separate games. Bassicaly people who are praising HL1 or 2 and include mods treat those games as a gateway to all those mods. And engine is a part of the whole game package.

Ir's not like when you buy Gears you can then play LostOdyssey without buying the game. I guess people just treat it like a sort of free DLC.

Valve doesn't deserve credit for mods(of course besides providing the tools and structure), but Half-life imo does

longtonguecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 longtonguecat
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts

[QUOTE="Shafftehr"][QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]Don't forget all the mods that spawn out of Half-Life, including Counter-Strike, arguably the greatest online FPS of all time.AdrianWerner

Well, they are mods for this particular game. They aren't separate games. Bassicaly people who are praising HL1 or 2 and include mods treat those games as a gateway to all those mods. And engine is a part of the whole game package.

Ir's not like when you buy Gears you can then play LostOdyssey without buying the game. I guess people just treat it like a sort of free DLC.

Valve doesn't deserve credit for mods(of course besides providing the tools and structure), but Half-life imo does

Agreed.

Also stuff like the HUD is still similar and Half-Life 2 had Counter-Strike as it's multiplayer component.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
[QUOTE="agentfred"][QUOTE="EndorphinMaster"]Hamburgers cost less than steaks. Halo doesn't cost less than Half Life.Zero5000X

So you're saying Nickelback is one of the best rock bands ever? It's off topic, but it holds the same truth in the world that you're living in right now.
Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shafftehr

AdrianWerner
So you're suggesting that the only thing preventing Gears of War from "deserving credit" for Lost Odyssey or Mass Effect is the fact that there was a price tag on them?

Ok, let's pretend for a second Lost Odyssey was completely free - built on the U3 engine, with Gears being the first real showcase of the U3 engine. My wonder is, why would Gears deserve any credit, be considered in any way better as a result of the engine it was on producing Lost Odyssey? Does Lost Odyssey make the Locust meaner? Do the guns get cooler? Does Marcus Fenix's little dirt patch on his chin look less ridiculous? Is the acting less melodramatic? What, exactly, does LO add to Gears as a game? If it were free, in what explainable way would LO make Gears a better game? Rather than simply reflect on the flexibility and power of the engine, that is.

Then there is this issue of price tags making the games not deserving... Isn't the engine that made LO and Mass Effect part of the whole Gears game package too - $60 price tag or no? How does the fact that they cost money detract from the causal connection of the games, the tools, the engines? Isn't the whole price issue thing one of value for your buck, which in fact has squat to do with what the game-design connection is?

Basically, what I want to know is... How do any of these mods make *Half-Life* better, rather than just reflect the power of the engine, or, as you pointed out, make Half-Life a gateway for very different games? When I see people say that Half-Life has incredible multiplayer, well... I remember Half-Life's multiplayer - though few people do. Mainly because, when things like Team Fortress and Counterstrike (IE - different games) came out, people completely forgot about it. Then, after forgetting about HL's multiplayer, people began to credit Half-Life as having these other games as multiplayer. To me, that just never computed.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 skrat_01

How do any of these mods make *Half-Life* better, rather than just reflect the power of the engine, or, as you pointed out, make Half-Life a gateway for very different games? When I see people say that Half-Life has incredible multiplayer, well... I remember Half-Life's multiplayer - though few people do. Mainly because, when things like Team Fortress and Counterstrike (IE - different games) came out, people completely forgot about it. Then, after forgetting about HL's multiplayer, people began to credit Half-Life as having these other games as multiplayer. To me, that just never computed.Shafftehr
Because you can argue modifications are an extention of the games multiplayer..... All you need is the game to run it. Valve might not of developed it, but they supported these developers, and crafted the tools for them to ceate it.

And BTW Team Fortress Classic was a multiplayer component for Half Life from Valve, who hired the original Quake mod developers translate it across for the Golden Source engine.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Good for it *golf clap*
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

So you're suggesting that the only thing preventing Gears of War from "deserving credit" for Lost Odyssey or Mass Effect is the fact that there was a price tag on them?Shafftehr

That and the fact that you don't require Gears to play Lost Odyssey

Ok, let's pretend for a second Lost Odyssey was completely free - built on the U3 engine, with Gears being the first real showcase of the U3 engine. My wonder is, why would Gears deserve any credit, be considered in any way better as a result of the engine it was on producing Lost Odyssey? Does Lost Odyssey make the Locust meaner? Do the guns get cooler? Does Marcus Fenix's little dirt patch on his chin look less ridiculous? Is the acting less melodramatic? What, exactly, does LO add to Gears as a game? If it were free, in what explainable way would LO make Gears a better game? Rather than simply reflect on the flexibility and power of the engine, that is.Shafftehr

If buying Gears would give you access to Lost Odyssey then it wouldn't make Gears gameplay better, however it would make the whole Gears package worth a lot more since you would get two vastly diffrent game in one.

Basically, what I want to know is... How do any of these mods make *Half-Life* better, rather than just reflect the power of the engine, or, as you pointed out, make Half-Life a gateway for very different games?Shafftehr
Because the power of the engine is a part of Half-life as a whole. Mods are simpy another feature of the game.

Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Shafftehr
Because you can argue modifications are an extention of the games multiplayer..... All you need is the game to run it. Valve might not of developed it, but they supported these developers, and crafted the tools for them to ceate it.

And BTW Team Fortress Classic was a multiplayer component for Half Life from Valve, who hired the original Quake mod developers translate it across for the Golden Source engine.

skrat_01
Ah, but that's why I give credit to Valve and their engine for making this incredible environment for other games to be made. You said it yourself - "they supported these developers" and "crafted the tools for them to create (TF, CS, DoD, etc)... They didn't make the games. They weren't part of Half-Life. They were actually *very* distinct games from HL. Valve's connection to these things is to facilitate their creation through creating tools... But do any of them make Half-Life itself a better game? Remember, HL had its own multiplayer and its own singleplayer - none of which were affected by CS, TF, DoD, etc. These were independent games you could download later - a side effect of Valve's exceptional engine and great infrastructure for making things like this possible. But, none of them were Half-Life. And yeah, I used to play the old Quake mode of TF. I always did find it funny that people said Half-Life had incredible multiplayer because of a remake of a game that was out on another engine years before... While Half-Life's actual multiplayer, with HL weapons and the HL cast and all that, was swept under the rug in no-time flat.

PS - the walls of text are a result of this bloody forum not getting along with Mozilla, I can't do squat in the way of formatting.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 skrat_01
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Because you can argue modifications are an extention of the games multiplayer..... All you need is the game to run it. Valve might not of developed it, but they supported these developers, and crafted the tools for them to ceate it.

Shafftehr

Ah, but that's why I give credit to Valve and their engine for making this incredible environment for other games to be made. You said it yourself - "they supported these developers" and "crafted the tools for them to create (TF, CS, DoD, etc)... They didn't make the games. They weren't part of Half-Life. They were actually *very* distinct games from HL. Valve's connection to these things is to facilitate their creation through creating tools... But do any of them make Half-Life itself a better game? Remember, HL had its own multiplayer and its own singleplayer - none of which were affected by CS, TF, DoD, etc. These were independent games you could download later - a side effect of Valve's exceptional engine and great infrastructure for making things like this possible. But, none of them were Half-Life. And yeah, I used to play the old Quake mode of TF. I always did find it funny that people said Half-Life had incredible multiplayer because of a remake of a game that was out on another engine years before... While Half-Life's actual multiplayer, with HL weapons and the HL cast and all that, was swept under the rug in no-time flat.

PS - the walls of text are a result of this bloody forum not getting along with Mozilla, I can't do squat in the way of formatting.

Well (the start) that was my point really. :?

And no, again TFC was an extension of HLs multiplayer - which was developed by Valve and the original TF creators. Its not an original IP, but its a 'multiplayer component'.

The others were created by independent mod developers using valves tools, and their support.

Again those games are an extention of Half Life.

You can say Half Life Counter Strike had incredible multiplayer, as it is an extension of the game - even if it community made.

It sells more copies, and gains a wider audience.

Why else have Valve supported developers, and continue to hold mods to a high priority - even on steam, right next to their retail releases....

-

Its like saying that the user made levels in LBP dont count, if you determine the quality of the game...... They may of been made by other people, using developers tools; but they are still an extension, or in this case core component of the game.

Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shafftehr

[QUOTE="Shafftehr"]So you're suggesting that the only thing preventing Gears of War from "deserving credit" for Lost Odyssey or Mass Effect is the fact that there was a price tag on them?AdrianWerner

That and the fact that you don't require Gears to play Lost Odyssey

Ok, let's pretend for a second Lost Odyssey was completely free - built on the U3 engine, with Gears being the first real showcase of the U3 engine. My wonder is, why would Gears deserve any credit, be considered in any way better as a result of the engine it was on producing Lost Odyssey? Does Lost Odyssey make the Locust meaner? Do the guns get cooler? Does Marcus Fenix's little dirt patch on his chin look less ridiculous? Is the acting less melodramatic? What, exactly, does LO add to Gears as a game? If it were free, in what explainable way would LO make Gears a better game? Rather than simply reflect on the flexibility and power of the engine, that is.Shafftehr

If buying Gears would give you access to Lost Odyssey then it wouldn't make Gears gameplay better, however it would make the whole Gears package worth a lot more since you would get two vastly diffrent game in one.

Basically, what I want to know is... How do any of these mods make *Half-Life* better, rather than just reflect the power of the engine, or, as you pointed out, make Half-Life a gateway for very different games?Shafftehr
Because the power of the engine is a part of Half-life as a whole. Mods are simpy another feature of the game.

Ah, the bolded is what I was hoping you'd say, and illustrates the distinction I want to draw out.

Key terms are "worth a lot more" and "vastly different games"... If LO and Gears are vastly different games, then I think you'll be willing to admit that Half-Life and Counterstrike are also vastly different games. Not the SAME game. And the fact that you get them both for the same price makes Half-Life an INCREDIBLY worthwhile package because it is a gateway to DIFFERENT games... But that doesn't make the game itself, Half-Life, any better. So why is Half-Life itself treated as a better GAME for giving you CS for free, rather than just a better VALUE as a whole package?

When people say "Oh, HL's multiplayer is the best because of CS and TF" I always thought it would be more accurate to say "Well, we don't really care that HL's multiplayer was very forgettable because it allowed us to get some different multiplayer games which rocked for free." It's a minor and a major distinction depending on how you look at a it... As someone considering what HL itself is, CS doesn't make Half-Life the game better - it means that you have another game to play for the price of the one. That's an issue of value, and reflects upon Valve and the great package they put together - but in no way influences what Gordon Freeman is doing kicking around Black Mesa.

And one further point to illustrate... You ever see those multi-old game deals they sell in stores? I remember a laptop gaming pack, it was called, released by EA which had SMAC and C&C:RA in it, among other things... Two incredible games in one package for one price - it was a bloody steal, and I loved it. But, just because they were packaged together for one price, I didn't ever make the mistake of considering them the same game - the package was a great value, but simply playing them told me that, despite being together, they were vastly different games. Playing Half-Life, running around as Gordon Freeman, then going into Countestrike, it's pretty plain to me - they aren't the same game, not even close. Heck, they weren't even put together in any sort of package until months to years after they were both available. And to this day, I just don't see why one is considered the others' multiplayer - because HL had its own multiplayer, and it was pretty meh.

Anyways, I`m done with this - late, tired, etc.
xsalvioutlawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 xsalvioutlawx
Member since 2007 • 423 Posts

Stupid comparisons from alot of you. It doesn't matter, it sold well. No matter what you fanboys say about the Halo series, it will always be one of the best series ever made. Halo 3 one of the most online played games in the world, there's a reason for that. I still cant understand why some people say Halo sucks.

Wait, I know why...they own PS3's.