Halo 3 is not a very mature game... which is why it doesn't appeal to me

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SquatsAreAwesom
SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SquatsAreAwesom
Member since 2009 • 1678 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of Halo 3 for a multitude of reasons. I think its defintely worthy of a 9/10 score, however certainly not one that should fit in the perfect 10/10s. That's my personal opinion, just as the reviewers on this site who scored the game. However, I'll concede and suggest that there are other 10s that aren't worthy... GTA4 included. However, that is another rant altogether.

So, why does Halo 3 turn me off? I think it sums up with the fact that it is not a very mature title. No, I am not suggesting that the lack of nudity and excessive blood makes it kiddy. Rather, as a whole, there are no aspects of the game that focus on a mature audience.

Let's take the story for example. Is it a refined story that is more complex then the simple story elements throughout all three games? No, there aren't. In fact, the story itself is rather simple, and not finely crafted. This is increasingly obvious when we consider the depth of the characters in the game. Are these characters in any way hold some deep uniqueness? No, they don't... instead they are pretty shallow and flat. As such, throughout the three games, I never once felt some kind of connection with the characters.... I didn't care about them... in fact, had the swarm won... I would probably would have just LOL'ed. This kills it for me to a large degree. A game without a refined storyline is hard for me to consider 'mature'.

The gamplay... well, there is nothing specifically 'mature' about it. Rather, it's very much gameplay that would probably pass the T for teen rating.

Do all games need to be mature? Am I only pleased by mature games. No, there are plenty of games that I love, which arne't mature. However, when a game attempts to portray itself as a mature title, but then falls short of being anything like one... it's a turnoff.

Does anyone here honestly think the Halo series is mature. If so... why?

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

I guess you should just stick to squats? :P

EDIT and what games do you think are mature?

PurpleHaze89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PurpleHaze89
Member since 2008 • 807 Posts

I don't care if its mature or not as long as i have fun with it. Which is the case. HALO PWNS !!

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nmaharg
Member since 2004 • 3285 Posts
Says the 14 year old.
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
It's mature if you're in your low teens. It's the same level of maturity as a film like Total recall, adult themes but dished out in the lowest common denominator.
Deathlessness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Deathlessness
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

Halo is the greatest first-person shooter ever made.

Avatar image for deactivated-57f6810aefea1
deactivated-57f6810aefea1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 deactivated-57f6810aefea1
Member since 2009 • 497 Posts

Halo 3 for me is kinda "meh". I never understand why people say its the best game ever made, and I never understand why so many people still play it. It doenst feel right. the Physics are all wrong, there is no feedback from the guns, and killing hte bad guys is really unsatisfying when they just go "ah" when they die. Its like a colourful arcade game, and too family friendly for my tastes.

So yea, I completely agree with you.

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts

Deathlessness
Mountain Dew is the best soda ever made. Damn, that was easy.
Deathlessness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Deathlessness

[QUOTE="Deathlessness"]

clembo1990

I don't care about Mountain Dew. Halo is better than anything in the FPS category.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Halo 3 for me is kinda "meh". I never understand why people say its the best game ever made, and I never understand why so many people still play it. It doenst feel right. the Physics are all wrong, there is no feedback from the guns, and killing hte bad guys is really unsatisfying when they just go "ah" when they die. Its like a colourful arcade game, and too family friendly for my tastes.

Bunj84

The reason that Halo is so insanely popular has nothing to do with the single player experience

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Halo is pretty kiddy if you ask me. The little covenant dwarfs look like skittles when they run and scream around me :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57f6810aefea1

[QUOTE="Bunj84"]

dommeus

The reason that Halo is so insanely popular has nothing to do with the single player experience

MP is rubbish too.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
It was never meant to be, so...duh? Also, there's more to being 'mature' than having dark colors and themes bursting out the seams.
Deathlessness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Deathlessness

[QUOTE="dommeus"]

[QUOTE="Bunj84"]

Bunj84

MP is rubbish too.

No. It's the best on the market. The 1 million unique gamers that daily play the game nearly 2 years after release agree.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

[QUOTE="Bunj84"]

[QUOTE="dommeus"]

Deathlessness

MP is rubbish too.

No. It's the best on the market. The 1 million unique gamers that daily play the game nearly 2 years after release agree.

If you don't even attempt to argue with the low level, low post count users who have a tendency to troll platform-specific games...they go away. :P
anti_hero32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 anti_hero32
Member since 2008 • 86 Posts

[QUOTE="Bunj84"]

[QUOTE="dommeus"]

Deathlessness

MP is rubbish too.

we get it. youre trolling. you can stop now. but in all seriousness, halo is no where near the best FPS on the market.

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NielsNL
Member since 2005 • 4346 Posts

Halo >> Mountain Dew

Deathlessness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Deathlessness

[QUOTE="Deathlessness"]

[QUOTE="Bunj84"]

MP is rubbish too.

anti_hero32

we get it. youre trolling. you can stop now. but in all seriousness, halo is no where near the best FPS on the market.

Yes, it is. It's the best. I'm sorry, nothing compares.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

Halo actually a really rich universe and story, read the books, they are a lot deeper than the games at times.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

[QUOTE="Bunj84"]

dommeus

Your joking right? Halo: Combat Evloved made the origonal Xbox popular without any online multiplayer, it was the Single-Player that made the game popular.

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

Deathlessness

As someone who really enjoys Halo, I agree with your opinion.

But stating it as a fact is wrong.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

Halo >> Mountain Dew

NielsNL
:lol: yea but MD is pretty damned awful!
Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of Halo 3 for a multitude of reasons. I think its defintely worthy of a 9/10 score, however certainly not one that should fit in the perfect 10/10s. That's my personal opinion, just as the reviewers on this site who scored the game. However, I'll concede and suggest that there are other 10s that aren't worthy... GTA4 included. However, that is another rant altogether.

So, why does Halo 3 turn me off? I think it sums up with the fact that it is not a very mature title. No, I am not suggesting that the lack of nudity and excessive blood makes it kiddy. Rather, as a whole, there are no aspects of the game that focus on a mature audience.

Let's take the story for example. Is it a refined story that is more complex then the simple story elements throughout all three games? No, there aren't. In fact, the story itself is rather simple, and not finely crafted. This is increasingly obvious when we consider the depth of the characters in the game. Are these characters in any way hold some deep uniqueness? No, they don't... instead they are pretty shallow and flat. As such, throughout the three games, I never once felt some kind of connection with the characters.... I didn't care about them... in fact, had the swarm won... I would probably would have just LOL'ed. This kills it for me to a large degree. A game without a refined storyline is hard for me to consider 'mature'.

The gamplay... well, there is nothing specifically 'mature' about it. Rather, it's very much gameplay that would probably pass the T for teen rating.

Do all games need to be mature? Am I only pleased by mature games. No, there are plenty of games that I love, which arne't mature. However, when a game attempts to portray itself as a mature title, but then falls short of being anything like one... it's a turnoff.

Does anyone here honestly think the Halo series is mature. If so... why?

SquatsAreAwesom

The Halo series doesn't do much for me at all, but this post is ridiculous for several reasons.

1. You contradict yourself: you say early in the post that Halo doesn't focus on a mature audience, but then you say late in the post that Halo tries to potray itself as a "mature game." Which is it?

2.You fail to define what constitutes a game being "mature".

3. You seem so convinced that Halo doesn't do these "mature things", but then you fail to realize that Halo has a very large "mature audience". It's success in this area doesn't really help your post.

4. I think the storyline in the Halo games is pretty damn bad, but certainly no worse than manyother FPS games. Killzone 2 has an extremely shallow storyline with nothing but flat generic characters. Does this make it "not mature"? If we made a great story a huge factor in being "mature", only a few games (and evenless FPS) would come through that criteria alive.

5. How does having round and unique characters=mature? There are plenty "mature" books and movies out there that have generic flat characters and many kid stories that have unique round characters.

6. I think you can find alot better things to criticize about the game. Sorry to break it to you, but your criticisms are just awful.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

[QUOTE="Deathlessness"]

Halo MP is simply fantastic, it does so many things right. Not saying its the best necessarily but it right up for fun factor. Its SP experience has been pretty lackluster since CE though in my opinion, but it still ranks amongst the best on consoles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57f6810aefea1

[QUOTE="Deathlessness"]

[QUOTE="Bunj84"]

MP is rubbish too.

Verge_6

If you don't even attempt to argue with the low level, low post count users who have a tendency to troll platform-specific games...they go away. :P

I'm a 360 owner and a low post count user. In my low count opinion, Halo 3 is distinctly average. The campaign is kinda fun in parts, but nothing special. MP does absolutely nothing for me, and in my low count opinion is totally rubbish.

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NielsNL

[QUOTE="NielsNL"]

Halo >> Mountain Dew

blue_hazy_basic

True. My sunday morning urine probably tastes better. (Not that I tried) .... (really I didn't!)

metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 metalisticpain
Member since 2005 • 3536 Posts

[QUOTE="clembo1990"][QUOTE="Deathlessness"]

Deathlessness

I don't care about Mountain Dew. Halo is better than anything in the FPS category.

In your opinion. I disagree.
Deathlessness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Deathlessness

[QUOTE="dommeus"]

[QUOTE="Bunj84"]

DarkGamer007

Your joking right? Halo: Combat Evloved made the origonal Xbox popular without any online multiplayer, it was the Single-Player that made the game popular.

Yes, you're right. The people that play Halo 3 right now play the campaign mode!

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tragic_Kingdom7

[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="Deathlessness"]

Bunj84

I'm a 360 owner and a low post count user. In my low count opinion, Halo 3 is distinctly average. The campaign is kinda fun in parts, but nothing special. MP does absolutely nothing for me, and in my low count opinion is totally rubbish.

Guys, let's please not have an opinion battle. Let's just address the argument the TC made.

anti_hero32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 anti_hero32

Ok. Heres a question. Why? Why is it so good? Like actual tangible reasons.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="NielsNL"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="NielsNL"]

Halo >> Mountain Dew

True. My sunday morning urine probably tastes better. (Not that I tried) .... (really I didn't!)

You protest too much! :P
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tragic_Kingdom7

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

[QUOTE="dommeus"]

Deathlessness

Yes, you're right. The people that play Halo 3 right now play the campaign mode!

What the hell are you talking about?

It makes more sense that they play both the campaign mode and the MP. I bet more people play the MP as most people are probably done with the campaign.

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NielsNL

[QUOTE="Deathlessness"]

[QUOTE="clembo1990"] Mountain Dew is the best soda ever made. Damn, that was easy.metalisticpain

In your opinion. I disagree.

Wanna know what I think? I think that creature (is it a dog?) in your sig should be the protagonist in the great game for the Wii!

Deathlessness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Deathlessness

anti_hero32

The gameplay can't be matched by any other FPS. I agree the campaign mode may not be the best, but Halo's gameplay and online mode are perfect, basically.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

At least give us a little context. What game do you think is mature?

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Tragic_Kingdom7

anti_hero32

What are "actual tangible" reasons IYO? Unless they say, "it just makes me feel good" or something like that, the reasoning is probably "actual" and "tangible".

Deathlessness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Deathlessness

[QUOTE="Deathlessness"]

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

Tragic_Kingdom7

It makes more sense that they play both the campaign mode and the MP. I bet more people play the MP as most people are probably done with the campaign.

Yeah, and that's what makes the game so popular... :)

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Tragic_Kingdom7

[QUOTE="Tragic_Kingdom7"]

[QUOTE="Deathlessness"]

Deathlessness

Yeah, and that's what makes the game so popular... :)

Oh. OK. I misunderstood your post.

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

[QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

[QUOTE="Deathlessness"]

blue_hazy_basic

Halo MP is simply fantastic, it does so many things right. Not saying its the best necessarily but it right up for fun factor. Its SP experience has been pretty lackluster since CE though in my opinion, but it still ranks amongst the best on consoles.

I simply enjoy the series. I think Bungie has done a great job with the gameplay mechanics, though i will admit neither Halo 2 or 3 campaign have the sense of epicness of CE. But the game simply allows for some pretty hilarious possibilities both online and offline. I still have vivid memories of Halo 2's Sniper Alley and Mausoleum - so many LOL-worthy moments.

There are aspects of other shooters that I like more - but overall Halo has reduced me to mindless drone status. I simply can't turn away from the series :P

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Tragic_Kingdom7

[QUOTE="anti_hero32"]

Deathlessness

The gameplay can't be matched by any other FPS. I agree the campaign mode may not be the best, but Halo's gameplay and online mode are perfect, basically.

He wanted to know "why" it's perfect.

whatisazerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 whatisazerg
Member since 2009 • 2371 Posts

good for you?

Deathlessness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Deathlessness

[QUOTE="Deathlessness"]

[QUOTE="anti_hero32"]

Tragic_Kingdom7

He wanted to know "why" it's perfect.

No, he wanted to know why the game was good. :)

SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SquatsAreAwesom
I think you can find alot better things to criticize about the game. Sorry to break it to you, but your criticisms are just awfulTragic_Kingdom7
Eh... since your entire argument is based on this: Just because a game portrays itself as being mature, does not mean it's actually mature.
agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts

It's kinda a shame everyone just read the title and posted (mostly about Mountain Dew :P), without reading his actual thoughts. He makes a legitimate point about the character development, and the simplicity of the storyline. But hey, I guess this sort of dismissiveness is business as usual for System Wars. :(

SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SquatsAreAwesom

Bunj84
You're post is full of win. This is exactly how I felt as well.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
How does it try to portray itself as a mature title? Do you think its with the screaming grunts who look like alien elves or their alien leaders who speak english? :|
anti_hero32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 anti_hero32

[QUOTE="anti_hero32"]

Deathlessness

perfect? really? have you ever played any game BUT halo?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

anti_hero32
There is little to nothing wrong with Halo 3's gameplay and online multiplayer. To call them a perfect example of FPS isn't unreasonable at all.
Deathlessness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Deathlessness

[QUOTE="Deathlessness"]

[QUOTE="anti_hero32"]

anti_hero32

Yes, I have. I've played all great and excellent first-person shooters. Halo is the most supreme, in my opinion. And in many others, too... :D