Half-Life vs. Halo Combat Evolved

This topic is locked from further discussion.

goofd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 goofd84
Member since 2009 • 177 Posts

And by Half-Life I mean the original and not the series in general.

So which game do you think is better?

While some of you are going to say; "halo sux! half-life is better {this is what most people will likely say}" or "half-life sux! halo is better!" I say they're both excellent and classic games.

I'll break what each game does better at in each category:

Half-Life has better:

• Immersion
  • Storytelling
  • Puzzles {This isn't saying much because Halo doesn't have puzzles}
  • Set pieces
  • Pacing/variety
  • Level design
  • Innovatoin
  • Enemies

Halo Combat Evolved has better:

• Weapon design and balance
  • A.I.
  • Action/fire fights
  • Vehicles {This isn't saying much because Half-Life doesn't have vehicles}
  • Combat/gunplay
  • Mechanics
  • Storyline
  • Music

While Halo does exceed over Half-Life in some areas, Halo still has nothing on Half-Life because Half-Life was a far more influential game than Halo ever wishes to be as Halo was influenced by Half-Life itself. While Halo is a superb game, Half-Life is a masterpiece in the art of gaming.

I say Half-Life is better.

SODRChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SODRChief
Member since 2009 • 444 Posts

Halo: CE changed gaming forever.

Befoere Halo: FPS mainly made for PC.

After Halo: FPS mainly made for consoles.

Devs realized FPS belongs to consoles, and Halo showed it.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts
I agree with most points (although I personally prefer Halo's storytelling and storyline).
goofd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 goofd84

SODRChief

Dude, there were plenty of FPSs for the consoles before Halo. Halo didn't change anything only popularized and refined mechanics done before it.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

SODRChief

all kinds of wrong. Nearly every third party is on the PC (and best on the PC) and then there are still more PC exclusive FPSs.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Does it matter if Half Life had better Story telling? It was still a bad story and if you disagree then you never played the game! Half Life was all about immersion and action pacing which it does well.

Halo was very meh to me. The story was bad and had a terrible ending. I was also stunned by how short it was. I felt like the ending came out of nowhere. I was expecting maybe 2-3 hours more of game play but nope.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

Befoere Halo: FPS mainly made for PC. (sans Goldeneye and Perfect Dark)

After Halo: Large flood of FPS made for consoles while PC FPS still get constant support and releases.

Devs realized FPS can co-exist on consoles and computers, and Halo helped show it.

SODRChief

Fixed. I think the most important thing Halo did though was show people that the Xbox meant buisness and really aided in the success of Microsoft as a game console maker, and the success of the Xbox.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
i'd give the weapons, a.i., action/firefights, combat/gunplay, mechanics and storyline to hl also
mixmax5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mixmax5
Member since 2006 • 2347 Posts

For me it's Halo.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

SODRChief
IT belongs to both platforms but it will never change the fact that PC shooters have been their and done that while console shooters are just picking up now.
strudel420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 strudel420
Member since 2006 • 3687 Posts

If you answer Halo: CE you are wrong.

goofd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 goofd84

Does it matter if Half Life had better Story telling? It was still a bad story and if you disagree then you never played the game! Half Life was all about immersion and action pacing which it does well.

Halo was very meh to me. The story was bad and had a terrible ending. I was also stunned by how short it was. I felt like the ending came out of nowhere. I was expecting maybe 2-3 hours more of game play but nope.

JangoWuzHere

Halo short? Is 16 hours of gameplay for an FPS short to you or you played it on easy? Half-Life story is boiler plate but the way it was told {hence storytelling} through the enviroments and first-person perspective was truly phenominal for it's time.

Now about Halo's story.

Third, it took familiar, old ideas and made them interesting again. Lone space marine vs. alien hordes had been done before. However, casting the aliens as religious fanatics was unusual - and remember, Halo came out not too long after 9/11. Of course, given that the aliens had vastly superior technology, relied on air/ space strikes, and were vulnerable to guerrilla warfare on the ground, you could see the game as a political metaphor from both sides. The "sleeping menace" idea (the Flood) had been done, but usually it's the player character's fault that some ancient terror gets awakened, and usually the player character is responsible for cleaning it up. In Halo, you basically just run away from the ancient menace. The "unstoppable superweapon that is our only hope against the Evil Ones" had been done before, but the twist that the Halo rings would stop the Flood by killing everything else in the galaxy, and that you therefore DO NOT want to activate the ancient superweapon that is the only hope of stopping them, was unique. Zombies had been done before, but fast zombies created by alien parasites that used weapons and attacked your enemies just as much as they attacked you? Hadn't been done before, and, though it's common now, virtually no FPSes had three-sided battles when Halo came out. Eccentric ancient guardian who tells you how to stop the Evil Ones? Done before, but 343 Guilty Spark was unique in that he was trying to save the world by destroying it, and wasn't actually truly good - or truly bad, for that matter. Fairly sexualized female character who advises you? Done in countless games, but Cortana was unique in that she actually acted intelligent, had an independent personality, and had a friendly but completely non-sexual relationship with the main character. Lots of stuff was borrowed from Aliens (dropships, badass black sergeant, space marines in gray armor), but it was integrated seamlessly.

goofd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 goofd84

strudel420

No, they have different opinion. Pfft, Valve fanboys.

xgraderx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xgraderx
Member since 2008 • 2395 Posts

Halo CE for me.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#15 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
I prefer Halo, because I enjoy being MC more than GF, and the story in Halo more than the Half Life one. Both are must haves for me, I don't care about influence and all that, since I don't make games and therefore don't know what's influencing them.
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#16 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
Halo wins IMO. It was just so amazing. And believe it or not, but the Halo series has a deeper story than Half-Lifes. Halo and Half-Life are both epic AAA series though.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

While some of you are going to say; "halo sux! half-life is better {this is what most people will likely say}" or "half-life sux! halo is better!" I say they're both excellent and classic games.

Half-Life has better:

• Immersion
  • Storytelling
  • Set pieces
  • Pacing/variety
  • Level design
  • Innovatoin
  • Enemies

• A.I.
  • Action/fire fights
  • Combat/gunplay
  • Mechanics
  • Storyline
  • Music

While Halo does exceed over Half-Life in some areas, Halo still has nothing on Half-Life because Half-Life was a far more influential game than Halo ever wishes to be as Halo was influenced by Half-Life itself. While Halo is a superb game, Half-Life is a masterpiece in the art of gaming.

goofd84
I would easily give Action/Firefights to HL 1. Combat/Gunplay would also be better than the clunky one present in Halo. not sure about Mechanics. And since storyline is equally meh for both (stupid twists doesn't makes it better), It doesn't really matter.
goofd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 goofd84

[QUOTE="goofd84"]

Half-Life has better:

• Immersion
  • Storytelling
  • Set pieces
  • Pacing/variety
  • Level design
  • Innovatoin
  • Enemies

• A.I.
  • Action/fire fights
  • Combat/gunplay
  • Mechanics
  • Storyline
  • Music

naval

I would easily give Action/Firefights to HL 1. Combat/Gunplay would also be better than the clunky one present in Halo. not sure about Mechanics. And since storyline is equally meh for both (stupid twists doesn't makes it better), It doesn't really matter.

Halo clunky? Halo is one of the most polished shooters ever made.

You're not used to console first-person shooters are you? :?

strudel420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 strudel420
Member since 2006 • 3687 Posts

[QUOTE="strudel420"]

goofd84

The opinion is different all right, and it is also wrong.

juno84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 juno84
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts

Well, Half-Life improved immersion through scripted events and great enemy solider AI. Halo showed (once again), that FPS can be done on consoles. I don't put much stock in either being super revolutionary. I guess I'm leaning towards HL. One of the main things valve advertised was its AI.

goofd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 goofd84

[QUOTE="goofd84"]

[QUOTE="strudel420"]

strudel420

The opinion is different all right, and it is also wrong.

You're confused my friend.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts

strudel420
since when can opinions be wrong?
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 naval

[QUOTE="naval"][QUOTE="goofd84"]

Half-Life has better:

• Immersion
  • Storytelling
  • Set pieces
  • Pacing/variety
  • Level design
  • Innovatoin
  • Enemies

• A.I.
  • Action/fire fights
  • Combat/gunplay
  • Mechanics
  • Storyline
  • Music

goofd84

Actually I would say it's pretty clunky by comparison and yeah I played Halo on both PC and XBox. And what console shooters you are talking about ? before halo the rest were even more clunky

goofd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 goofd84

[QUOTE="goofd84"]

[QUOTE="naval"] I would easily give Action/Firefights to HL 1. Combat/Gunplay would also be better than the clunky one present in Halo. not sure about Mechanics. And since storyline is equally meh for both (stupid twists doesn't makes it better), It doesn't really matter.naval

Actually I would say it's pretty clunky by comparison and yeah I played Halo on both PC and XBox

Mabye you're not used to well balanced weapons instead of seaching for the better weapon in new levels. :P

SragentThom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SragentThom
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

Well, Half-Life improved immersion through scripted events and great enemy solider AI. Halo showed (once again), that FPS can be done on consoles. I don't put much stock in either being super revolutionary. I guess I'm leaning towards HL. One of the main things valve advertised was its AI.

juno84

Half life AI > halo:CE

crushed25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 crushed25
Member since 2009 • 107 Posts

[QUOTE="SODRChief"]

goofd84

Dude, there were plenty of FPSs for the consoles before Halo. Halo didn't change anything only popularized and refined mechanics done before it.

name one console shooter that controlled like halo prior to it's release. the two weopon system, sticky aim instead of auto aim, ability to throw grenades on command without having to cycle through weopons. huge maps with ground and air vehicles that fit perfectly, a.i. that most pc shooters coundn't compete with. halo changed everything when it came toconsole shooters.

i think i would have to pick half life but both were amazing.....probably my top 2 fps.

boredy-Mcbored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 boredy-Mcbored
Member since 2007 • 1566 Posts

I've played both demos (note not the full game) and I have to say that Halo's story is dull. HL is a game you can play with yourself and have fun. Halo's multiplayer is the best part of the game and that's why I think it has a slight advantage over HL. Still HL appears to be quite good.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 naval

[QUOTE="naval"][QUOTE="goofd84"]Halo clunky? Halo is one of the most polished shooters ever made.

goofd84

Actually I would say it's pretty clunky by comparison and yeah I played Halo on both PC and XBox

Mabye you're not used to well balanced weapons instead of seaching for the better weapon in new levels. :P

Sorry, the searching for weapons doesn't makes a game clunky (I see if that you meant this as a part of mechanics, then I would agree slightly on that), try better next time
goofd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 goofd84

I've played both demos (note not the full game) and I have to say that Halo's story is dull. HL is a game you can play with yourself and have fun. Halo's multiplayer is the best part of the game and that's why I think it has a slight advantage over HL. Still HL appears to be quite good.

boredy-Mcbored

Halo's story is dull but you haven't played the full game just the demo, hmm very logical and valid explanation. *Rolls yes*

Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

Both where fun, but I think Half Life is the better game for sure.

goofd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 goofd84

[QUOTE="goofd84"]

[QUOTE="naval"] Actually I would say it's pretty clunky by comparison and yeah I played Halo on both PC and XBoxnaval

Sorry, the searching for weapons doesn't makes a game clunky (I see if that you meant this as a part of mechanics, then I would agree slightly on that), try better next time

You can easily tell with the smiley face with it's tongue sticking out means that this is a very sewious discussion........ :P

goofd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 goofd84

[QUOTE="goofd84"]

[QUOTE="SODRChief"]

crushed25

name one console shooter that controlled like halo prior to it's release. the two weopon system, sticky aim instead of auto aim, ability to throw grenades on command without having to cycle through weopons. huge maps with ground and air vehicles that fit perfectly, a.i. that most pc shooters coundn't compete with. halo changed everything when it came toconsole shooters.

i think i would have to pick half life but both were amazing.....probably my top 2 fps.

You're right but I meant as that there were first-person shooters on consoles BEFORE Halo. People can't take anything literally anymore. :P

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 naval

[QUOTE="naval"][QUOTE="goofd84"]Mabye you're not used to well balanced weapons instead of seaching for the better weapon in new levels. :P

goofd84

You can easily tell with the smiley face with it's tongue sticking out means that this is a very sewious discussion........ :P

what !! Halo v/s HL 1 is series business.
goofd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 goofd84

[QUOTE="goofd84"]

[QUOTE="naval"] Sorry, the searching for weapons doesn't makes a game clunky (I see if that you meant this as a part of mechanics, then I would agree slightly on that), try better next timenaval

SragentThom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SragentThom

[QUOTE="goofd84"]

[QUOTE="naval"] Sorry, the searching for weapons doesn't makes a game clunky (I see if that you meant this as a part of mechanics, then I would agree slightly on that), try better next timenaval

Internet isserious.

swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#36 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

Half Life is better, and Halo is more marketable. /thread

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 naval

[QUOTE="naval"][QUOTE="goofd84"]You can easily tell with the smiley face with it's tongue sticking out means that this is a very sewious discussion........ :P

goofd84

he he .. through really seriously speaking you did made a pretty good post (even though I disagree with few of the things) but now you have opened it for flaming and stuff :P and yeah one more point for HL .. moddablity

AdoringFan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AdoringFan_
Member since 2009 • 1890 Posts

Half-Life owns all. Thats the truth! :)

goofd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 goofd84

Half Life is better, and Halo is more marketable. /thread

swazidoughman

Halo CE didn't have any real marketing hype behind it nor had big advertising. Halo 2 and 3 however were HIGHLY marketed

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts

strudel420
Grow up, it's called a different opinion. Anyways, for the most part, l agree with the OP.
goofd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 goofd84

[QUOTE="juno84"]

SragentThom

Half life AI > halo:CE

While Half-Life had revolutionar A.I. for it's time and they're still intelligent right now, they can due dumb acts such as popping 2 inches in front of you while you have a clear shot at them or popping out the same place their team member got killed. Halo's A.I. is more advanced especially on Heroic and Legendary.

stepat201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 stepat201
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

I agree with the OP except for A.I. Half Life's soldier AI still holds up today, it was probably the first FPS to introduce flanking, and the way they used grenades to flush you out was amazing.

We all know that Half-Life made Halo, but they're still different games. Halo is better for pure action but Half-Life is a more thoughtful, atmospheric game with a better story IMO.

goofd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 goofd84

I agree with the OP except for A.I. Half Life's soldier AI still holds up today, it was probably the first FPS to introduce flanking, and the way they used grenades to flush you out was amazing.

We all know that Half-Life made Halo, but they're still different games. Halo is better for pure action but Half-Life is a more thoughtful, atmospheric game with a better story IMO.

stepat201

While Half-Life had revolutionar A.I. for it's time and they're still intelligent right now, they can due dumb acts such as popping 2 inches in front of you while you have a clear shot at them or popping out the same place their team member got killed. Halo's A.I. is more advanced andElites outdo the marines A.I.especially on Heroic and Legendary.

SragentThom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SragentThom

[QUOTE="stepat201"]

goofd84

While Half-Life had revolutionar A.I. for it's time and they're still intelligent right now, they can due dumb acts such as popping 2 inches in front of you while you have a clear shot at them or popping out the same place their team member got killed. Halo's A.I. is more advanced andElites outdo the marines A.I.especially on Heroic and Legendary.

Marine ai is crap halo 2 have better Ailed AI.Look like developers don't cares for Allied AI.:(

goofd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 goofd84

[QUOTE="goofd84"]

[QUOTE="stepat201"]

SragentThom

Marine ai is crap halo 2 have better Ailed AI.Look like developers don't cares for Allied AI.:(

Because friendly A.I. is hard to program. ;)

Avatar image for ChrisSpartan117
ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ChrisSpartan117
Member since 2008 • 4519 Posts
[QUOTE="goofd84"]

[QUOTE="SragentThom"]

[QUOTE="goofd84"]While Half-Life had revolutionar A.I. for it's time and they're still intelligent right now, they can due dumb acts such as popping 2 inches in front of you while you have a clear shot at them or popping out the same place their team member got killed. Halo's A.I. is more advanced andElites outdo the marines A.I.especially on Heroic and Legendary.

Call of Duty 2 had the best Allied AI ever, save for how it loved getting blown up by grenades.
Zoso-8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Zoso-8
Member since 2008 • 2047 Posts
Half-Life for sure. Halo:CE is still the best console shooter ever IMO.
SragentThom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SragentThom

[QUOTE="goofd84"]

[QUOTE="SragentThom"]

ChrisSpartan117

Call of Duty 2 had the best Allied AI ever, save for how it loved getting blown up by grenades.

Try the pc version they say it have better AI but they get there head down just like Half life 1 because they can't find a pathfind to to cover.

Just like in real life.

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
Half-Life wins by a mile :)