GT5 sells 5.52 million copies in it's first 12 days. Series now exceeds 60M

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sireclaborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#202 sireclaborn
Member since 2008 • 1305 Posts

[QUOTE="sireclaborn"][QUOTE="shinrabanshou"]

It's a shipment number.

shinrabanshou

stop with the damage control

It's not damage control. It's a shipment number. :|

It will sell-through its initial shipment (it already has in Japan essentially) but there's no point pretending it's not a shipment number.

so when when ms gives out a number do you claim its a ship number as well? im just wondering because im sick of the dc from lems with the its shipped from sony but turns around their logic and says its sold form ms
kinger256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#203 kinger256
Member since 2005 • 1770 Posts
[QUOTE="shinrabanshou"]

[QUOTE="sireclaborn"] stop with the damage control sireclaborn

It's not damage control. It's a shipment number. :|

It will sell-through its initial shipment (it already has in Japan essentially) but there's no point pretending it's not a shipment number.

so when when ms gives out a number do you claim its a ship number as well? im just wondering because im sick of the dc from lems with the its shipped from sony but turns around their logic and says its sold form ms

I'm pretty sure Microsoft reports numbers of units sold to consumers, while Sony reports numbers of units sold to retailers.
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

so when when ms gives out a number do you claim its a ship number as well? im just wondering because im sick of the dc from lems with the its shipped from sony but turns around their logic and says its sold form mssireclaborn
If it's an unqualified number, then yes, I'll assume it's a shipment number. Unless a tracker is cited or they specifically state that it's a sold-through estimate based on internal tracking then it's a shipment number.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft reports numbers of units sold to consumers, while Sony reports numbers of units sold to retailers.kinger256
Not in fiscal reports. All companies used shipped numbers. For monthly dick measuring PR spin, they may use sold through.

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#205 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts

It will double Forza 3 in sales in no time. That's closing in on Reach already.

Grawse
Justin Beiber doubles the sales of most other performers, does it make him better?
raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#206 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]Discuss.madsnakehhh

It flop in GS and many other sites, and really hard.

and 5 million people did not care
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 SteveTabernacle
[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]Discuss.raskullibur

So? Millions of people bought some stupid casual dance game on the Wii as well. All you';re proving with this kind of post is that the game sold in spite of it's quality, not because of it. Not a good thing.
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 SteveTabernacle

[QUOTE="SteveTabernacle"]So? Millions of people bought some stupid casual dance game on the Wii as well. All you';re proving with this kind of post is that the game sold in spite of it's quality, not because of it. Not a good thing.Slashkice

You're confusing the flop metagame with actual quality.

Not really. GT5 could have scored a 5.0 out of 10 almost universally, and it still would have doubled Forza 3's sales numbers. It's the name that is selling it, not the quality of the actual game.
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 SteveTabernacle

[QUOTE="SteveTabernacle"]Not really. GT5 could have scored a 5.0 out of 10 almost universally, and it still would have doubled Forza 3's sales numbers. It's the name that is selling it, not the quality of the actual game.Slashkice

Don't be silly, if the game was truly terrible it wouldn't be selling nearly as well. Brand recognition only goes so far.

Tell that to Justin Beiber, and the annual wrestling/football/dragon ball z games.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
[QUOTE="sireclaborn"] so when when ms gives out a number do you claim its a ship number as well? im just wondering because im sick of the dc from lems with the its shipped from sony but turns around their logic and says its sold form ms

1) he is not a lem, at all =/ 2) lems have attacked him tons of times for saying that MS uses shipped numbers too 3) all companies to the same, I don't see the problem =/
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#215 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"] GT5 outselling Forza 3 doesn't exactly mean anything other than it has better brand recognition. Forza 3 is still the better game by a large margin. Kane04

Forget for a moment the crappy LOOKING (because even the handle and physics on those are phenomenal too) and what does Forza 3 does better? Nothing, you get loads of lag with just 8 players on MP, i remember at launch people complaining about it on MS forums and all MS did was delete the posts, google if you think i'm lying.

Yes standard cars LOOK awful in GT5, but thats it, even the damage on GT5 is better, and let me quote my source before i get light up in flames...

Umm what? Have you even played Forza 3? Given your posting history, and the ignorance I highly doubt it. There are a lot of things that Forza does better than GT5 and I even listed them before you even posted. :? Here, let me quote myself for you.

More customization, more tracks, better interface, better and more in depth tuning options, better online multiplayer, better career mode, better AI, Porsches, more Lamborghinis, more Ferraris, more Benzes, A Supra that actually looks decent (it's my favorite car. Sue me.).

Among other things, of course. :)

The_Game21x

GT5's cosmetic damage is better, true enough, but it still can't compete with Forza in terms of mechanical damage, which isn't even available in single player races yet. Hell, GT5's handling model, while better than Forza's, is only slightly better, at best. And this is coming from someone who actually owns and has played both games extensively. :|

raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#216 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts

[QUOTE="raskullibur"][QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

SteveTabernacle

So? Millions of people bought some stupid casual dance game on the Wii as well. All you';re proving with this kind of post is that the game sold in spite of it's quality, not because of it. Not a good thing.

I wonder if its the same casual gamer you're talking about that bought GT5

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Hmm odd how an AA series gets so many sales. *by the way it is an AA series.*

Numboar13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Numboar13
Member since 2010 • 33 Posts

[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]

Impressive numbers. It's not the Playstation's killer app for nothing.

Can't wait to see cows play the sales > quality angle when comparing it to FM3.:shock:

EliteKitteh

You don't have to wait :D

Poor turn 10. They need to make 2 games to sell that much. And by the time they're done making them, GT5 will have sold another 5 million and they'll have to make another 2 Forzas to keep up :(

Ex-lover working for turn10?
Avatar image for mr-chickenfries
mr-chickenfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 mr-chickenfries
Member since 2005 • 203 Posts

GT5 the ultimate flop of the 21st century. :P

xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

My brother is a hardcore sim car guy gamer and says Forza 3 is a better game than GT5 cause you can swap motors and stuff. But that didn't stop him from buying GT5 FIRST DAY and he is loving GT5. So all you fanboys suck it GT5 DESTROYED Forza 3 in SELLS but on GS Forza is WAY higher rated scores etc etc etc lolol.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

WilliamRLBaker
It had a lot of time to build up a fanbase, so it's understandable in a way. Still, it's kind of unfair that Forza kind of got shafted sales-wise despite maintaining its AAA status so far. I mean, it'd be like you as an employee working harder than anyone else in your workplace and yet your boss decides not to give you a raise.
xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

WilliamRLBaker

Scores are opinion. Don't forget that. Like i just wrote. My brother told me Forza 3 is the better game but he still bought GT5 FIRST DAY!! Realities, opinions of ratings its all hogwash drivel for fangirls to fight over in SW.

pimpog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 pimpog
Member since 2010 • 659 Posts

I bought GT5 1st day even though I knew it would not be as good as forza 3 because it was the next best racing game out. I really like forza 3 but I needed a new racing game to play. For ps3 only gamers they only have what Dirt 2 so it was a no brainer imo.

AndyAlfredo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#224 AndyAlfredo
Member since 2009 • 1402 Posts

This is shipped, not sold

Maybe 1 million actually sold to users

Sony never releases sold numbers, only shipped, like the fake 4 million Move "sales"

SacredMG

Shipped means sold for PD and Sony. They got their money already, and now retailers are looking to cash in.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

lol @ people who are mad that GT5 sells.

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts

WilliamRLBaker
Most people that don;t give a damn about score though.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

Da_lil_PimP

Most people that don;t give a damn about score though.

Exactly. Plus discerning sim racers appreciate the finer handling model. ;)

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

nervmeister

It had a lot of time to build up a fanbase, so it's understandable in a way. Still, it's kind of unfair that Forza kind of got shafted sales-wise despite maintaining its AAA status so far. I mean, it'd be like you as an employee working harder than anyone else in your workplace and yet your boss decides not to give you a raise.

It does suck when a good game such as Forza 3 doesn't get great sales. It has good sales, over 1 million should be a success for any company. Although its more terrible when one of the best games this year, Amneisa, gets terrible sales despite it getting nothing but fantastic review scores from critics and buyers.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 psn8214

It does suck when a good game such as Forza 3 doesn't get great sales. It has good sales, over 1 million should be a success for any company. Although its more terrible when one of the best games this year, Amneisa, gets terrible sales despite it getting nothing but fantastic review scores from critics and buyers.

ChubbyGuy40

Did it rerally sell bad? That game was amazing. :(

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#230 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts

WilliamRLBaker
Just because reviewers like it doesn't mean that it's a good game. Take a look at MW2. AAA metacritic, but many people don't like it. Same can be said for Forza. AAA series, but it's not as good as people thought it would be.
antifanboyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 antifanboyftw
Member since 2007 • 2214 Posts
Gran Turismo 5 is like a Michael Bay movie.Salt_The_Fries
critics hate it but the reality is that it really is good and the majority of the population agrees? or maybe gt5 has a lot of explosions or likes to be racist.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

Not surprising. A lot of argument over shipped/sold in here :P

Still, it's a main game in the GT series (not a Prologue) so it'll no doubt sell extremely well. I have yet to buy it, but Christmas is here and i'm spending lots of loot :(

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

psn8214

Did it rerally sell bad? That game was amazing. :(

By now I would guess around 40-50k because of the Steam sale if its still going, but in october they said it sold 36,000 units. Frictional said it sold double what they needed to keep their studio open though so thats good. I recommend the game to anyone I can because this developer definitely deserves the money.

Whatuptho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Whatuptho
Member since 2008 • 392 Posts

This is shipped, not sold

Maybe 1 million actually sold to users

Sony never releases sold numbers, only shipped, like the fake 4 million Move "sales"

SacredMG

do you honestly think theres 4 million copies just sitting around in shelves because Gamespot gave it an 8? (or any other reviewer for that matter)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#235 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44616 Posts
and considering that Prologue already made up for development costs and then some, that's a lot of profits to expect from this title
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 psn8214

Frictional said it sold double what they needed to keep their studio open though so thats good.

ChubbyGuy40

Oh thank god! :D I was worried, I really want to see more from these guys.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

Since probably all the units which Gt5 sold are pure profit for SONY since probably prologue covered the whole cost hopefully now SONY will let PD increase the number of their employers so they can make 1000 premium cars for GT6 instead of 230 only lol.

chase_arizona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 chase_arizona
Member since 2010 • 270 Posts

Likes cows said, sales don't matter. Forza is the better game.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

[QUOTE="sireclaborn"][QUOTE="shinrabanshou"]It's not damage control. It's a shipment number. :|

kinger256

I'm pretty sure Microsoft reports numbers of units sold to consumers, while Sony reports numbers of units sold to retailers.

How would they know those numbers? It's not like they can know each and every copy that gets put into a 360, since half the 360's in circulation aren't even online.

Kleeyook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#241 Kleeyook
Member since 2008 • 5213 Posts

My brother is a hardcore sim car guy gamer and says Forza 3 is a better game than GT5 cause you can swap motors and stuff. But that didn't stop him from buying GT5 FIRST DAY and he is loving GT5. So all you fanboys suck it GT5 DESTROYED Forza 3 in SELLS but on GS Forza is WAY higher rated scores etc etc etc lolol.

xOMGITSJASONx

Couldn't agree more!

hkymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#242 hkymike
Member since 2003 • 2425 Posts
Great to hear Sony! I enjoy this game a lot and deserves all the attention. Best racing sim out there
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Likes cows said, sales don't matter. Forza is the better game.

chase_arizona
In some ways, but GT5 does succede in so many ways, mainly weather and time of day :) Also GT5s track selection is far better then Forza 3s, I realy like Forza 3 but the tracks are mostly realy meh, it realy needs more real life tracks and alot of improvement on their fictional tracks :)
meatgrinderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 meatgrinderz
Member since 2010 • 1329 Posts

[QUOTE="xOMGITSJASONx"]

Kleeyook

Couldn't agree more!

true the forza series is a much more critically acclaimed series than GT, GT has name recognition I'll give it that, but forza has quality, that's what counts

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
[QUOTE="Funconsole"]HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: Sales matter again eh cows??

What I'm confused about is this. GT5 is not an arcade racer, meaning it isn't gobbled up by casuals like other games such as CoD or Halo. It's a sim, and generally you have to be a fan of cars and challenging driving gameplay to like it. So what I'm getting at is sales matter in this case. The sim fans are clearly going for the better game, being GT5 and not Forza.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#248 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

[QUOTE="Funconsole"]HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: Sales matter again eh cows??PS2_ROCKS
What I'm confused about is this. GT5 is not an arcade racer, meaning it isn't gobbled up by casuals like other games such as CoD or Halo. It's a sim, and generally you have to be a fan of cars and challenging driving gameplay to like it. So what I'm getting at is sales matter in this case. The sim fans are clearly going for the better game, being GT5 and not Forza.

Yes it is. :?

The Gran Turismo series has always been a hit among casual and hardcore racing fans alike. It has almost as much selling power and brand recognition as Halo and Call of Duty. The reason Forza isn't selling as much as GT isn't because GT is the better series, it's because it's not as recognizable as GT is.

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts

[QUOTE="PS2_ROCKS"][QUOTE="Funconsole"]HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: Sales matter again eh cows??The_Game21x

The Gran Turismo series has always been a hit among casual and hardcore racing fans alike. It has almost as much selling power and brand recognition as Halo and Call of Duty. The reason Forza isn't selling as much as GT isn't because GT is the better series, it's because it's not as recognizable as GT is.

Aw come on casuals don't like sims. Casuals like smack talking eachother on Live and shooting weapons in the first person.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

[QUOTE="PS2_ROCKS"] What I'm confused about is this. GT5 is not an arcade racer, meaning it isn't gobbled up by casuals like other games such as CoD or Halo. It's a sim, and generally you have to be a fan of cars and challenging driving gameplay to like it. So what I'm getting at is sales matter in this case. The sim fans are clearly going for the better game, being GT5 and not Forza.PS2_ROCKS

Aw come on casuals don't like sims. Casuals like smack talking eachother on Live and shooting weapons in the first person.

GT isn't as sim as you would think. Neither is Forza, for that matter. True sims only reside on the PC, and for good reason--the amount of dedication required to perform well on a world leaderboard in a true PC racing sim borders on the ridiculous. OTOH, most PC racing sims don't allow the luxury of licensed street-legal cars, and for that both Polyphony and Turn 10 have to make a few sacrifices (because no street car dealer likes their cars to look bad--could reflect badly in the showroom, you get my drift?). Furthermore, both GT and Forza have sliding difficulty scales and additional features that make them just a bit more accessible to the not-so-hardcore gamer. Not to mention racing has a better draw in Europe than in North America (thus the distribution of sales), and Sony has stronger brand awareness there than Microsoft.