Grand Theft Auto 4 vs. Saint's Row 2

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

I'm aware that Grand Theft Auto 4 is by far the more critically acclaimed, and I certainly agree. It had better visuals, music, a better story, more realistic characterisation, vehicle handling, physics, etc.

But I'm not sure that necessarily made it more enjoyable.

Playing Saint's Row 2 again (now that the PC bugs have been ironed out), I honestly found myself having more fun. I know when Grand Theft Auto 4 was released, people were critical of its ultra-realism and, honestly, a feeling it was a little bit sterile. Not to mention the annoying friend system.

Saint's Row 2 just felt like a more rewarding experience. It let me customise, it let me unleash mayhem, and it had no pretentions of being more than a sandbox rampager.

If you played both, which did you like more?

_Verm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 _Verm
Member since 2009 • 488 Posts
is it even a debate? GTA 4.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Danm_999
is it even a debate? GTA 4._Verm
I'm asking which do you prefer, as I already stated, I'm well aware GTA 4 is more critically acclaimed.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

If everyone votes in favor of SR2, then that completely demolishes the debate that reviews matter and determine how good a game is.

Anyways, I vote for GTA IV, although I really dig SR2.

Timbury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Timbury
Member since 2005 • 552 Posts
Owned and played both. . . . GTA4 is a great game loved it but it got boring half way through and after you finished it the only fun i had was using the cheats for the helicopter going to the highest building spawning a car and driving off :) Saints Row 2 just had more crazyness same as San Andreas so it was able to hold my attention longer after the game was complete.
patzcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 patzcool
Member since 2009 • 319 Posts

i liked them both alot, but have to say saints row 2, just because co-op was sooo fun with a friend and it was insane had great side missions and it was fun to play!

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

Saints Row 2 without a doubt. Much more to do, much more to see, and much more enjoyable overall. It's got a better brand of humor and has characters that are more "fun." GTAIV had Niko, and a bunch of poorly developed characters. Niko was well-designed, but he wasn't exactly "fun."

The sheer amount of customization in SR2 (from the cribs to your vehicles to your characters looks and personality to his outfit) is fantastic.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Danm_999

If everyone votes in favor of SR2, then that completely demolishes the debate that reviews matter and determine how good a game is.

BioShockOwnz
Which is what I'm getting at. I had a blast with Saint's Row 2 on PC, much more fun than GTA 4 on my 360. One is rated 10, the other 6.5. How can I reconcile that?
viper1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 viper1991
Member since 2005 • 372 Posts

GTA IV was definitely a great game, but I found myself having more fun with Saints Row 2.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Saturos3091

If everyone votes in favor of SR2, then that completely demolishes the debate that reviews matter and determine how good a game is.BioShockOwnz

The fact they don't matter has been true for awhile in the real world. :P I know here in SW that'd cause total anarchy though.

FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

GTA4... sigh. Such a boring game.

I was actually wondering if SR2 was....... fun?

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Saturos3091
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

Danm_999
Which is what I'm getting at. I had a blast with Saint's Row 2 on PC, much more fun than GTA 4 on my 360. One is rated 10, the other 6.5. How can I reconcile that?

Well, the PC version of GTAIV didn't get a 10 (got a 9.0), and the 360 version of SR2 got an 8.5.
Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts

I enjoyed SR2 MUCH more then GTAIV.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

GTA IV for realism and multiplayer.

Saints Row 2 for crazyness and single player.

Hard to decide.

RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RoOodriGowW
Member since 2008 • 3309 Posts

GTA IV hands down.Saints Row 2 felt very unpolished and I missed everything that made san andreas the best sandbox of all time ( IMHO ).Though I'm sure THQ will make SR 3 a much better game. :)

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

If everyone votes in favor of SR2, then that completely demolishes the debate that reviews matter and determine how good a game is.Saturos3091

The fact they don't matter has been true for awhile in the real world. :P I know here in SW that'd cause total anarchy though.

Yeah, that's how I roll. People complain about an A or AA and I wanna wack 'em on the head.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

There is no comparision. It's like comparing The Godfather to The Boondock Saints.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Danm_999

There is no comparision. It's like comparing The Godfather to The Boondock Saints.

heretrix
Apparently there is, results have been quite even, with a slight edge to Saint's Row 2. It seems a comparable amount of people enjoyed it more.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

I'd agree with Saint's Row 2. GTA 4 was too inconsistant -- half the time it was trying to portray a deep and emotional story (despite a cast filled with unlikable characters), the other half was the series' hallmark "how many hookers can I run down on this moped?" gameplay -- and as a result we ended up with the worst of both worlds. The gameplay was never particularly compelling outside of a handful of missions, and the story was completely neutered (hard to take Niko seriously when you ran over 34 pedestrians on the way to the mission, and it's hard to connect with characters like Roman when he phones you every 13.5 seconds).

On the other hand, SR2 embraces the turned up to 11 gameplay of the prior GTA titles, and is the more complete experience for it. Besides, how can you argue with a game that lets you drive around in a ****-spraying septic truck?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d4b602d21842
deactivated-5d4b602d21842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 deactivated-5d4b602d21842
Member since 2006 • 5036 Posts

GTA 4. By FAR the better game IMO.

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts

This thread makes me wanna go play SR2 again. :o

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Danm_999

it's hard to connect with characters like Roman when he phones you every 13.5 seconds).

On the other hand, SR2 embraces the turned up to 11 gameplay of the prior GTA titles, and is the more complete experience for it. Besides, how can you argue with a game that lets you drive around in a ****-spraying septic truck?

PBSnipes

This basically nails my opinion :P

-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -Pred-Alien-
Member since 2009 • 1733 Posts
GTA IV was crap but Saints Row 2 was just plain annoying
-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Pred-Alien-
Member since 2009 • 1733 Posts

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"] it's hard to connect with characters like Roman when he phones you every 13.5 seconds).

Danm_999

Exactly, it wouldnt be so bad if the characters were around for more than just three missions or so.
voxware00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 voxware00
Member since 2004 • 5018 Posts

didn't play too much of SR2 but GTA IV was really stupid.. i'd rather play CTW than that

I gave away my copy of SR2 but I really didn't want to.. I'll probably get it again once I beat prototype

"how can you argue with a game that lets you drive around in a ****-spraying septic truck?" definitely sticks out in my mind.. great way to open up the game within the first few minutes

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
GTA4: TLAD
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#27 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Apples and oranges, one is a serious experience, another is just pure mayhem.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
GTA fails for the same reason as the rest of the games in the series, the production values are amazing, it's an awesome game world, the physics are fantastic, the characters and voice acting are/is brilliant, but my god are the missions irritating and dull. I'm amazed people never moan about the repetitive missions the way they do in every other sandbox game, they basically consist of, drive someone somwhere, kill someone, get away, or variants on that. It's just so boring, and the lack of any checkpoints is freaking annoying, you can be doing something as simple as taking someone on a date (another stupid thing) and on the way back because you don't want to drive at 2 mph, you hit a curb and flip the car on its roof, you get out and it says "Get back in the car!" Right, so i'm in a game called Grand Theft Auto yet I have to be in the car you tell me to be? Wow, really free roaming. Saints Row 2 on the other hand was what a game should be, fun as hell, and all the annoyances were streamlined, here's an example of how Volition think compared to Rockstar, Rockstar-"The in car radio stations should be varied between vehicles and should always be random, never will you get in a car and it just be on the station you want, that's not realistic", Volition-"Who cares if it's not realistic, the radio stations gonna stay on what you choose no matter what car you get in, and you can make your own playlists!"
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Danm_999

Apparently there is, results have been quite even, with a slight edge to Saint's Row 2. It seems a comparable amount of people enjoyed it more.

Well I'm glad I don't take too many people's opinions here seriously.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

They're really two different types of fun, at least to me, if that makes any sense.

Both games allow you to make your own fun but GTA IV just seems like a more sophisticated style of fun. It's much more realistic (for better or for worse, depending on whom you ask) than Saints Row 2 and it feels more mature compared to Saints Row 2's zany antics. The thing is, while it may sound like I'm bashing Saints Row 2 by saying GTA IV is the more mature game, I'm not. Saints Row 2 is "stupid fun". There's something special about throwing a helpless pedestrian off of a bridge, doing a handstand on the hood of a moving car, throwing yourself into traffic for kicks, running down the street wearing nothing but a dopey grin and going on a bat**** insane rampage, blowing up everything in your path and there's also something special about being rewarded for it. Saints Row 2 throws you into the middle of a city and tells you to go nuts without restrictions or limitations.

I've played both games and GTA IV is the one I keep coming back to. I've played Saints Row 2 for about 50 hours combined single player and co op (just got the achievement for doing that not too long ago) and I've played GTA IV for about 80 hours or so in single player (only 35 of those hours were dedicated to completing the storyline) and many, many more in the online modes, especially the 16 player Free Mode, which is an absolute blast every time I play it.

Overall, I prefer GTA IV for its polish (something Saints Row 2 clearly lacks), excellent urban atmosphere and its 16 player online free mode (something I've wanted from a GTA game for years). Saints Row 2 gets points for its online co-op modes and the excellent variety when it comes to activities. For a sequel to what was largely called a GTA clone, Saints Row 2 has done more than enough to differentiate itself from the GTA series at this point. Each game approaches the sandbox genre differently and it's something I appreciate.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 heretrix

They're really two different types of fun, at least to me, if that makes any sense.

Both games allow you to make your own fun but GTA IV just seems like a more sophisticated style of fun. It's much more realistic (for better or for worse, depending on whom you ask) than Saints Row 2 and it feels more mature compared to Saints Row 2's zany antics. The thing is, while it may sound like I'm bashing Saints Row 2 by saying GTA IV is the more mature game, I'm not. Saints Row 2 is "stupid fun". There's something special about throwing a helpless pedestrian off of a bridge, doing a handstand on the hood of a moving car, throwing yourself into traffic for kicks, running down the street wearing nothing but a dopey grin and going on a bat**** insane rampage, blowing up everything in your path and there's also something special about being rewarded for it. Saints Row 2 throws you into the middle of a city and tells you to go nuts without restrictions or limitations.

I've played both games and GTA IV is the one I keep coming back to. I've played Saints Row 2 for about 50 hours combined single player and co op (just got the achievement for doing that not too long ago) and I've played GTA IV for about 80 hours or so in single player (only 35 of those hours were dedicated to completing the storyline) and many, many more in the online modes, especially the 16 player Free Mode, which is an absolute blast every time I play it.

Overall, I prefer GTA IV for its polish (something Saints Row 2 clearly lacks), excellent urban atmosphere and its 16 player online free mode (something I've wanted from a GTA game for years). Saints Row 2 gets points for its online co-op modes and the excellent variety when it comes to activities. For a sequel to what was largely called a GTA clone, Saints Row 2 has done more than enough to differentiate itself from the GTA series at this point. Each game approaches the sandbox genre differently and it's something I appreciate.

The_Game21x

Well said. I agree. I respect GTA more as a franchise, but there is no denying that Saint's Row 2 is a lot of fun, especially with the addition of it's coop campaign.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

I honest to god believe if GTA had gotten worse reviews everyone would be saying how much better it is over SR2. Ppl just love the underdog.

PG_Chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PG_Chimp
Member since 2009 • 211 Posts
GTA 4
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10490 Posts

no comparison for me gta iv all day long

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#35 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

saints row 2 and san andreas and driver paralel lines are far better then gta iv

xscott1018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xscott1018
Member since 2008 • 1266 Posts
gta 4, but i think that the other gta would be better. rockstar changed 4 around to be more realistic and things.
AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts

I like SR2 more. I'll admit that GTA IV has a smoother framerate, and far less glitches and other technical issues, but SR2 is just more fun to me. SR2 has a much better variety of missions, you can customize your character like crazy (including voice, the way he walks, etc). The isn't nearly as serious, unlike GTA IV. I like the over-the-top cartoon violence in SR2.

Supa__Mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Supa__Mario
Member since 2009 • 680 Posts
is it even a debate? GTA 4._Verm
this.....gta4.........
Gamer556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gamer556
Member since 2006 • 3846 Posts

I rented SR2 and from what I played it was a lot more fun than GTA4. That game was a nightmare to finish. The missions are boring as hell, the characters are all really unlikable, and the game just takes itself too seriously. Everything about that game is a chore.

Rob-Belmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rob-Belmont
Member since 2009 • 1350 Posts
At first I probably would have said SR2. The changes made to the GTA series we're kind of difficult to come to terms with, the series I had loved for so long just changed suddenly, I still loved GTA 4 but wasn't sure wether it was the same kind of love I used to get for the previous games. Then Saints Row 2 came out, and it felt more familiar, could be because it was less serious like the previous GTA games or because I had a blast playing Saints Row a few years back, my first 360 game. Whatever the case, I found getting into SR2 a lot easier. But now, after much time with both games, GTA 4 just takes the cake.
Avatar image for Bewareoffalling
Bewareoffalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bewareoffalling
Member since 2009 • 330 Posts

GTA 4. You can do way more stunts, better graphics, Just everything, better. You can even use grenades to do stunts. You should really watch Ben Buja's Videos.

Bewareoffalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bewareoffalling

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"] it's hard to connect with characters like Roman when he phones you every 13.5 seconds).

-Pred-Alien-

Exactly, it wouldnt be so bad if the characters were around for more than just three missions or so.

That would take the meaning of the game. Anyways Rockstar wanted to make it as real as possible (Dont read on if you didnt finish the game)Roman DIES anyway, So the other people dont even call that much.

therealnerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 therealnerdd
Member since 2009 • 578 Posts
Both are great games, and they both play the same to me. Although, Lemmings will choose saints row 2 because Rockstar north is developing a exclusive ps3 game, it's how fanboys backlash.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
Member since 2005 • 6504 Posts

[QUOTE="-Pred-Alien-"][QUOTE="Danm_999"] This basically nails my opinion :P

Bewareoffalling

That would take the meaning of the game. Anyways Rockstar wanted to make it as real as possible (Dont read on if you didnt finish the game)***, So the other people dont even call that much.

That isn't a very good spoiler warning, and that spoiler isn't necessarily true.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BioShockOwnz

Both are great games, and they both play the same to me. Although, Lemmings will choose saints row 2 because Rockstar north is developing a exclusive ps3 game, it's how fanboys backlash.therealnerdd

What? :lol: Just no. If anything, lems will choose GTA IV. They get the 2 exclusive episodes in TLAD and TBOGT. The full GTA IV experience.

Bewareoffalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bewareoffalling
[QUOTE="Bewareoffalling"]

[QUOTE="-Pred-Alien-"]Exactly, it wouldnt be so bad if the characters were around for more than just three missions or so.supercubedude64

That would take the meaning of the game. Anyways Rockstar wanted to make it as real as possible (Dont read on if you didnt finish the game)***, So the other people dont even call that much.

That isn't a very good spoiler warning, and that spoiler isn't necessarily true.

Dont tell them that now.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 heretrix

Both are great games, and they both play the same to me. Although, Lemmings will choose saints row 2 because Rockstar north is developing a exclusive ps3 game, it's how fanboys backlash.therealnerdd
Since the 360 gets both DLC episodes exclusively, how is what you said relevant at all?

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

GTA 4, i liked the story better, could care less about MP. Niko was just more memorable.

smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 smithster118
Member since 2008 • 3910 Posts

GTAIV for me.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Danm_999
I doubt it. One of the reasons I thought I could get honest opinions from people is that both games are on PS3/PC/360.