GOTY SO FAR- ME2 vs RDR vs Heavy Rain vs SMG2

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ms555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 ms555
Member since 2007 • 2665 Posts

oky doky, this shoudl keep you guys busy....we are just about half way through the year and even though the really BIG BIGGY ( Halo Reach) hasnt come out yet, something tells me goty may not come out second half but rather the first. Why? Because games like Uncharted and Super Mario Galaxy seam to always outshine game like Halo and Call of Duty for GOTY awards, probably for exceptional art designs and actual, solid stories. The first half of this year actually seems better than what is coming out the second half, for now at least

So, what do we got? Four fantastic games so far with exceptional games wich all implement not just fun gameplay but also fantastic art design and, for 3 out of the 4, exceptional story lines to boot. Choose which one you think so far has the best shot for GOTY

MAKE YOUR CHOICE FROM THESE FOUR WHICH IS THE BEST OF THE YEAR SO FAR

CHOOSE ONLY FROM THE FOUR

I am choosing what i find the best game in each area for your choices: XBOX, PS3, Wii, and MULTI

1. MASS EFFECT 2- a mix of outrageously addicting classes and abilities along with one of the most compelling scifi, movie like, epic storylines xbox has ever seen. So far I see it as 360's best 2010 game, and believe it or not it will be a challenge for Halo Reach to beat. (runner up is Alan Wake)

2. Heavy Rain- So far probably PS3's best game this year, better than GOW3 im considering. This reason is for one reason and one reason only.... it is for me the most realistic and stunning playstation games i have ever witnessed. It really deserves its high praises. (runner up is GOW3)

3. Super Mario Galaxy 2- okay, so its kinda a big expansion pack for the first... who cares cus the first is amazing. It is an example of the type of games nintendo should be making more often, and proof Nintendo's still got it. Why is it so good? Simply put, it fresh, brilliant, and just plain fun... (runner up is Red Steel 2)

4. Red Dead Redemption- i dont think many can doubt this is definitely the best multiplat game of the year, and maybe even Rockstar's best game to date. It shows a stunning tale, and brings out the full potential of the WIld West theme many havge attempted but never exactly proceeded in. It also takes the heart and soul of GTA and in many ways improves on it with more variety, humor, and spunk than I have seen in GTA4. ( runner up is, idk, Battlefield Bad COmpany 2... that was really good too!!!)

Okay, I will quickly say that GOW3 is great also and probably a definite contendr, but I think Heavy Rain is a better one, so I chose that as the PS3 choice

REMEMBHER CHOOESE ONLY FROM THE 4

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
Heavy Rain, BioShock 2, FFXIII, God of War III, Super Mario Galaxy 2... there's just too much. And Mass Effect 2. Oops.
felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

Zelda Wii isn't out yet, so this discussion moot.

ms555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 ms555
Member since 2007 • 2665 Posts

felipebo
hopefully you know how to read, cus this tiopic is called GOTY SO FAR!!!! so.......shutup
GodofEmpires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GodofEmpires
Member since 2009 • 611 Posts
Of that list, maybe RDR. But, I believe the GOTY will be LBP2.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Tbh I only think SMG2 and RDR are in the running for GOTY thus far.

Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

Great year for games so far.

Just my preferences, RDR>ME2>HR>SMG2.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

I'l lick a urinol if Heavy Rain wins GOTY

edit: Okay thats disgusting

BZSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BZSIN
Member since 2005 • 7889 Posts

My GOTY is probably between Heavy Rain and RDR so far. When I eventually decide to stop being lazy and send my 360 in for repair, I'll get to ME2 and Alan Wake, so my GOTY nominations could still change.

felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 felipebo

[QUOTE="felipebo"]

ms555

hopefully you know how to read, cus this tiopic is called GOTY SO FAR!!!! so.......shutup

Sorry, forgot to add the redundant "JK" stamp to my post.

IWKYB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IWKYB
Member since 2010 • 1545 Posts

Heavy Rain isn't the best game available to PS3 onwers thing is just a old genre introduced to new gamers. (Dragon's Lair/that other game made for the dreamcast) Even the reviews don't hold up. Anyway ME2 all the way.

GrannyGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GrannyGoat
Member since 2010 • 1190 Posts

lol heavy rain wont get GOTY

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
Won't be Heavy Rain. If it was SMG2, GS=Fail. It will probz be something out of the blue like Demons Souls was.
benbeckman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 benbeckman
Member since 2010 • 702 Posts
sin and punishment 2 >>>>>>>> Heavy Rain heavy rain does not belong on this list
IWKYB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IWKYB
[QUOTE="benbeckman"]sin and punishment 2 >>>>>>>> Heavy Rain heavy rain does not belong on this list

I agree.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#16 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Won't be Heavy Rain. If it was SMG2, GS=Fail. It will probz be something out of the blue like Demons Souls was.gamebreakerz__

Let me get this straight. IF GS gives a AAAA game GOTY, somehow that's a fail. If that's what you're saying, the only failure here belongs to you.

TheOldOlder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheOldOlder
Member since 2009 • 1212 Posts
Mario Galaxy despite the fact that it got a 10.0 is going to have it rough, a mario game already won the Award once, and there's Mass Effect, God Of War etc
moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="benbeckman"]sin and punishment 2 >>>>>>>> Heavy Rain heavy rain does not belong on this listIWKYB
I agree.

I agree also.... Alan Wake should be there in place of Heavy Rain.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

As of now SMG2 has GOTY in the bag.

nolsinkler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 nolsinkler
Member since 2004 • 1031 Posts

Metroid: Other M

But right now Super Mario Galaxy 2 will definitely win.

felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 felipebo

Shirokishi_

Not until Xenoblade and Last Story, amirite?

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamebreakerz__

[QUOTE="gamebreakerz__"]Won't be Heavy Rain. If it was SMG2, GS=Fail. It will probz be something out of the blue like Demons Souls was.GreySeal9

Let me get this straight. IF GS gives a AAAA game GOTY, somehow that's a fail. If that's what you're saying, the only failure here belongs to you.

GS gives GOTY to fresh, revolutionary games. SMG1 getting GOTY was alright but SMG2 is just a better version which is much the same, not GOTY material. Example: U2 was a superb game but wasn't revolutionary enough where as Demons Souls was fresh so it won GOTY.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GreySeal9

Mario Galaxy despite the fact that it got a 10.0 is going to have it rough, a mario game already won the Award once, and there's Mass Effect, God Of War etcTheOldOlder

There's no precedent that says that a sequel to a GOTY will have a hard time winning GOTY.

I mean, do you honestly think God of War 3 has a higher chance than SMG2. SMG2 has set a standard in its genre, GOW3 (in the reviewer's opinion and in Keven V's opinion as well) didn't even set a new standard in its own franchise.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="gamebreakerz__"]Won't be Heavy Rain. If it was SMG2, GS=Fail. It will probz be something out of the blue like Demons Souls was.gamebreakerz__

GS gives GOTY to fresh, revolutionary games. SMG1 getting GOTY was alright but SMG2 is just a better version which is much the same, not GOTY material. Example: U2 was a superb game but wasn't revolutionary enough where as Demons Souls was fresh so it won GOTY.

MGS4 was merely a refinement of the same exact same formula and it got GOTY. It wasn't particularly fresh or revolutionary. Demon Souls, on the other hand, was fresh, but not revolutionary.

You are trying to create a formula that isn't neccessarily a given.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

It hink that HEavy Rain doesn't belong in that list, the score automatically puts it out of the competition, from the others, i think that they all have pretty good chances to win, my pick is definitely SMG2, but in the end, it will be between SMG2, ME2 and SC2 in my opinion.

Of course, i don't think Zelda will win this year GOTY...because it will win it next year, when it actually comes out.

benbeckman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 benbeckman

[QUOTE="IWKYB"][QUOTE="benbeckman"]sin and punishment 2 >>>>>>>> Heavy Rain heavy rain does not belong on this listmoistsandwich

I agree.

I agree also.... Alan Wake should be there in place of Heavy Rain.

i can count at least 5 AA games from this year that are more deserving of that GOTY than heavy rain as for the rest of 2010 it'll be tricky. i'm hoping for some awesome surprises from microsoft and nintendo at E3. sony have already leaked all theirs :lol:
gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gamebreakerz__
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="gamebreakerz__"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

MGS4 was merely a refinement of the same exact same formula and it got GOTY. It wasn't particularly fresh or revolutionary. Demon Souls, on the other hand, was fresh, but not revolutionary.

However, MGS4 had an amazing story. Does SMG2 have an amazing story??
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="gamebreakerz__"]Won't be Heavy Rain. If it was SMG2, GS=Fail. It will probz be something out of the blue like Demons Souls was.gamebreakerz__

While i think that you have an excellent point, if GS thinks that SMG2 deserve the title and it was the best game of 2010, i really don't see why it shouldn't be GOTY, and yes, it has a low probability to win due to your argument, but i still consider it to be one strong candidate and if no other game really impact the market this year, then i can see SMG2 and ME2 in a very equal battle for the award.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="gamebreakerz__"] GS gives GOTY to fresh, revolutionary games. SMG1 getting GOTY was alright but SMG2 is just a better version which is much the same, not GOTY material. Example: U2 was a superb game but wasn't revolutionary enough where as Demons Souls was fresh so it won GOTY.gamebreakerz__

There is nothing that says that a game has to have an "amazing story" to win GOTY.

You know what GOTY didn't have an amazing story? The first Mario Galaxy. :roll:

benbeckman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 benbeckman
[QUOTE="gamebreakerz__"] However, MGS4 had an amazing story. Does SMG2 have an amazing story??

1. MGS4 has a terrible story 2. The number of games with decent stories could be counted on the fingers of one hand 3. Mario does not need an amazing story. it is a platformer in which a fat midget jumps between planets to save a princess
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="gamebreakerz__"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

madsnakehhh

While i think that you have an excellent point, if GS thinks that SMG2 deserve the title and it was the best game of 2010, i really don't see why it shouldn't be GOTY, and yes, it has a low probability to win due to your argument, but i still consider it to be one strong candidate and if no other game really impact the market this year, then i can see SMG2 and ME2 in a very equal battle for the award.

His argument is pure conjecture. It is hardly a formula that GS adheres to.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

So far Heavy Rain, and probably by the end of the year too. I expect LBP2 to get more of my play time, but in the end Heavy Rain is one of the best games I've ever played. I'd put it just behind OoT/Majora's Mask and right in front of Goldeneye.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

felipebo

Not until Xenoblade and Last Story, amirite?

Xenoblade, against all odds is actually looking to be of uber quality and quite an above average JRPG. Honestly looks and sounds like a hit. I simply cannot wait for it.

The Last Story, considering Mistwalkers history, could end up being.... meh. It looks good but Im skeptical.

None could be solid GOTY contenders IMO though.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

Red Dead Redemption. Regardless of what people may say, I think it has a big chance. I'm not a big fan of Westerns, but I love this game.

A 10 doesn't mean "ASSUMING GOTY CONTROL!"

IWKYB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 IWKYB

[QUOTE="gamebreakerz__"] However, MGS4 had an amazing story. Does SMG2 have an amazing story??benbeckman
1. MGS4 has a terrible story 2. The number of games with decent stories could be counted on the fingers of one hand 3. Mario does not need an amazing story. it is a platformer in which a fat midget jumps between planets to save a princess

True, all 3 of em. lol fat midget.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Haven't played SMG2 or RDR but I'd vote for ME2. HR is good but I don't think it's game of the year quality. If there was some award for a game that tried something different, it should win that but there's a lot of games that I played this year and enjoyed more than HR.

Arthur Giese's impressions of RDR on Rebel FM make me think that, just like GTA4, it's a game I won't enjoy playing. Can't speak on SMG2 at all though. That game is probably great.

HR could win it on GS though. I think they vote based on what will throw the readers for the biggest loop and get a lot of hits. HR would do that.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="felipebo"]

ms555

How can you say the Zelda title is a GOTY candidate and when we know nothing about the game?:? (We haven't seen any screen shots or gameplay vids)

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Of what I've played this year, RDR is my favourite. I hope the new Zelda title wins it though, I really hope it lives up to the hype.

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
Mario Galaxy 2 is worthy of GOTY but let's see how Zelda Wii performs.
SupergumXP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SupergumXP
Member since 2003 • 189 Posts

out of the 4 you listed... i'd say RDR.

personally though GOTY so far has to be Starcraft 2 Beta... there you go SC2 Beta = GOTY

Even with all its problems its the best game ive played this year and kicks the crap out of anything out so far... ive probably put the most time into that game this year as well, been playing since feb :S

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

This is a really close year. So many superb games. Super Mario Galaxy 2 will probably get it, and rightly so.

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts

Tbh I only think SMG2 and RDR are in the running for GOTY thus far.

ActicEdge
Me too!
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
The Heavy Rain hate is strong in this thread. Personally I'm not seeing my GOTY so far, Heavy Rain is close but I expect others to outpreform.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 2 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 seem like the 3 largest contenders... If we include Heavy Rain.. We must include the numerous 8.5 games out there..
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

Bayonetta > crap hole rdr for multiplat

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#46 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

SMG 2 and RDR, are both amazing. I don't think there will be anything better this year unless Zelda is released and is simply amazing. RDR and SMG 2 IMO are near even. I would have to say SMG 2 wins just because RDR has some technical glitches, and the world isn't quite as big as I thought. But make no mistake, the game is awesome!

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Heavy Rain? What the hell is Heavy Rain doing on the list?

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="gamebreakerz__"] GS gives GOTY to fresh, revolutionary games. SMG1 getting GOTY was alright but SMG2 is just a better version which is much the same, not GOTY material. Example: U2 was a superb game but wasn't revolutionary enough where as Demons Souls was fresh so it won GOTY.gamebreakerz__

Since when did MGS have a great story?

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Heavy Rain over GoW3?

gandaf007

Forum Posts