God of War shows exactly why I do not care for cinematic/story-driven games

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8488 Posts

I don't have a problem with cinematic or story heavy games as long as they are accompanied by enough good gameplay and neither the ratio of cutscenes or story sections.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

So my son and I were out and about this weekend and afterward we stopped at his pad and he wanted to fire up GOW but was shocked it had not DL'ed yet. said it happens all the time and hates PSN and the UI as well. Started the DL over and during that time he said although it came with his PS4 years ago, he hadn't tried the up rezed no online TFOU lol After about 20 mins we were both already bored of Watching that shyt. lol

So GOW was finally ready to go. After about 20 mins of Watching God of Daddy, we were both bored again. The PS Bore sure does live up to it's name. Hahahahah, True story. :P

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2142 Posts

All these lemmings hating on the GAME OF THE GENERATION!! Keep on hating Lems. You'll never get a game as good as this. Keep on playing that free to play game disguised as a full priced game, Sea of Failure.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#54 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34668 Posts

A lot of developers don't understand that telling your story through gameplay is way more fun than force the player to sit through some 5-15 minute bullshit cinematic several times throughout the game. But that way you don't have to make the actual game longer. And people still buy your game in droves. So why better yourself?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#55 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

They never learned from Halflife.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

It is pretty much one big tutorial until the world opens up. But after that it's a great game. I agree though, they let you suffer through a limited experience too long. They even tease you that it will be better when your kid is like "Huh, you still can't open this gate?"

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Juub, just curious. What games do you love that don't have movies/stories/cutscenes? I mean, even a crappy platformer like Super Mario Bros. back in the 80's had what you can consider a cutscene at the end of each level and sometimes at the beginning of a level, where Mario slowly walks with the user having zero control or slides down a pole and there are fireworks.

Also, I haven't started GoW yet, but can't you skip a lot of scenes and dialogue? Usually, most games allow you to.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

I think there worst things than games with cinematics. Pokemon of late is a fine example of that. Pokemon has become mostly a guided tour. It makes you go to specific places otherwise you can't move on or uses npcs as roadblocks. All this just make you complete the game in a specific order. In the old version of sapphire I could skip and finish certain areas later if I wanted to. So honestly I'll take god of war's cutscenes any day.

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ToonLonk
Member since 2017 • 440 Posts

Different strokes for different folks? I don't know, maybe some people love story-driven games and some don't.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@todddow:"back in the 80's had what you can consider a cutscene at the end of each level and sometimes at the beginning of a level, where Mario slowly walks with the user having zero control or slides down a pole and there are fireworks."

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha