GH = Overated??

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrEnvelope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MrEnvelope
Member since 2007 • 2424 Posts
People will hate mebecause of this.. but.. In my opinion GH is overated. Yes, I have fun when I play it with my friends but sometimes they take it to seriosly. I am a bass player and a guitar player and I always tell them to get real instruments so they can feel the extraordinary feeling while playing a great soulfull guitar solo, or to get that funky feeling of slappinga bass, and they always tell me GH is better and funner. Not only my friends tell me this, but almost all GH player tells me this. Remember if you say GH is better, is because you haven't tried a real instrument and take some time to learn things on it.
cabjnico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 cabjnico
Member since 2003 • 748 Posts

you are nuts! definitely not overrated!

well of course if someone's not good at something that person won't like it as much :p (jk)

we all get tired of anything that is done excessively. but gh is really fun

Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#3 Fhiz
Member since 2004 • 7718 Posts

I play guitar, and I like guitar hero better... your logic = fail?

people don't want to spend the time to learn a complex instrument, give them 5 buttons and the ability to play a guitar solo they'd never be able to play in real life and ther eyou have it.

Slyprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Slyprince
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts

Yeah its overrated

and so is every other popular game :roll:

/sarcasm

Avatar image for Riviera_Phantom
Riviera_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Riviera_Phantom
Member since 2006 • 3658 Posts
GH isn't for Guitarists it's for Gamers who can't be bothered to ******* learn a guitar. Which applies to me. And no it's not overrated it's the greatest party game to be released in the last few years. Great series too.
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts
GH rocks, it's my favorite game this gen so far by a long shot
Lordcharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lordcharles
Member since 2003 • 147 Posts
Or it could be because they enjoy playing video games more then playing music and don't have to spend years practicing to feel a sense of accomplishment
Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts
It is overrated for me in the sense that Bemani had been doing what GH did 7 years ago.
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts

I think it's quite fair rated so far.

It's a game. No I don't say it's better but sure it's sure a fun game, and that's all there is.

cabjnico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cabjnico
Member since 2003 • 748 Posts
guitar hero is a fun game. period. not really related to guitars... if someone plays it because "they want to play a solo they'd never be able to" then that's lame haha
Hir0_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hir0_N
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts
Maybe...but its still fun.
goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 goodlay
Member since 2005 • 5773 Posts

It is overrated for me in the sense that Bemani had been doing what GH did 7 years ago.NobuoMusicMaker

It isn't really the gameplay, but that it has most peoples favorite classic rock music in it.

TheJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheJustin
Member since 2006 • 2197 Posts
I don't think it's over rated at all. It's as fun as people make it out to be. A real instrument will ALWAYS be better though no question. With a real instrument you aren't limited. It made me pick up a guitar and learn to play so to me it will never be over rated.
Slyprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Slyprince
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts
I guess the defenition of overrated in system wars is when alot of people like a game and YOU don't.
TheJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheJustin
Guitar Hero sucks because rock is the most overrated music genre of all time and it's fanbase is solely white males aged 15-28.iLiveBy2words

That's news to me. What music do you listen to?
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts
GH isn't for Guitarists it's for Gamers who can't be bothered to ******* learn a guitar. Which applies to me. And no it's not overrated it's the greatest party game to be released in the last few years. Great series too.Riviera_Phantom
Wii Sports says Hi. Anyway, Guitar Hero is very fun and has really pushed me over the edge to buy a real guitar.
forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
I doubt it's the actually the controller that makes it so great, it's pretty much a DDR pad in your hand, or a controller in the shape of a guitar. The music is probably the main draw to the people who like the game so much.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It was great for introducing music games to North America but it cannot compare with Guitar Freaks.
MrEnvelope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrEnvelope
Member since 2007 • 2424 Posts
I guess the defenition of overrated in system wars is when alot of people like a game and YOU don't.Slyprince
I enjoy playing this game with my friends but many people take this game to seriously to a point where they say they will never buy a guitar because they are lazy and they are already to good at GH or also that they insult real guitar players when they make mistakes when these people don't even know how to play a real instrument.Anyways I have met many people who think the same way I do.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts
It was great for introducing music games to North America but it cannot compare with Guitar Freaks.foxhound_fox
I would have thought games such as DDR introduced music games to North America, long time before GH came out.
iLiveBy2words

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 iLiveBy2words
Member since 2005 • 550 Posts

[QUOTE="iLiveBy2words"]Guitar Hero sucks because rock is the most overrated music genre of all time and it's fanbase is solely white males aged 15-28.TheJustin

99% of music is awful and designed for total idiots. There are very few rock songs I can stand, but I can appreciate tasteful singing, jazz, cl@ssical, and some rap. Not pop rap, though. I'm talking about the underground rap that actually takes true talent and shines brighter than any other form of music.

The same people who think rock is great also think Jesus is their savior. There's no credibility to that kind of logic. It's a cultural thing...

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MikeE21286

Guitar Hero sucks because rock is the most overrated music genre of all time and it's fanbase is solely white males aged 15-28.iLiveBy2words
'

My Dad is 55 and he listens to rock....:|

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I would have thought games such as DDR introduced music games to North America, long time before GH came out.Panzer_Zwei

I don't think they were as "mainstream" as Guitar Hero is now. They helped but I think because of the music used in GH it helped push them over the top of the wall.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]I would have thought games such as DDR introduced music games to North America, long time before GH came out.foxhound_fox

I don't think they were as "mainstream" as Guitar Hero is now. They helped but I think because of the music used in GH it helped push them over the top of the wall.

IIRC DDR was a big craze, that even served (for a while anyway) to revitalize the Arcades outside of Japan. I don't think GH is as popular as DDR was on it's prime.
goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 goodlay
Member since 2005 • 5773 Posts

[QUOTE="TheJustin"][QUOTE="iLiveBy2words"]Guitar Hero sucks because rock is the most overrated music genre of all time and it's fanbase is solely white males aged 15-28.iLiveBy2words

99% of music is awful and designed for total idiots. There are very few rock songs I can stand, but I can appreciate tasteful singing, jazz, cl@ssical, and some rap. Not pop rap, though. I'm talking about the underground rap that actually takes true talent and shines brighter than any other form of music.

The same people who think rock is great also think Jesus is their savior. There's no credibility to that kind of logic. It's a cultural thing...

Insulting a religion to try to prove your point :|

Also my dad is 50 and he listens to rock.

tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts
Stop quoting that guy, he's just trying to tun this into a flame war.
TheJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheJustin

[QUOTE="TheJustin"][QUOTE="iLiveBy2words"]Guitar Hero sucks because rock is the most overrated music genre of all time and it's fanbase is solely white males aged 15-28.iLiveBy2words

There is no point in arguing opinion, but all I have to say is wow...
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MikeE21286

Wow..........:|

I've never heard more BS in a single post.

Blind0825

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blind0825
Member since 2006 • 194 Posts

GH is in no way overrated, it is getting the praise and recognition it deserves. I have never had more fun with a game in my life and I feel like I've played em all. Anyone who says to "pick up a real guitar or instrument" obviously doesn't understand this game was designed to have fun and doesn't even deserve to play it.

And FYI, I've played real music all my life.

Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts

There is absolutely no basis for any of your statements. Here, I'll show you:

1) Can you sing like Freddie Mercury? Probably not. What about play guitar like Jimmy Page? Again, I seriously doubt it. Sounds like rock has had some pretty talented people, I for one have yet to see any rap more impressive than either of those two musicians.

2) Music is subjective. You can't call 99% of all music crap, since it's all about someone's taste.

3) How is music designed for total idiots? That just makes no sense, it's hardly worth mentioning in my post.

4) The point above applies to your Jesus comparison, I don't know where you got this info or where you were going with it.

TC: Guitar Hero is a blast to play with friends. I enjoy it, and I've played guitar for 6+ years.

TheJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheJustin
[QUOTE="iLiveBy2words"]

[QUOTE="TheJustin"][QUOTE="iLiveBy2words"]Guitar Hero sucks because rock is the most overrated music genre of all time and it's fanbase is solely white males aged 15-28.Vyse_The_Daring

There is absolutely no basis for any of your statements. Here, I'll show you:

1) Can you sing like Freddie Mercury? Probably not. What about play guitar like Jimmy Page? Again, I seriously doubt it. Sounds like rock has had some pretty talented people, I for one have yet to see any rap more impressive than either of those two musicians.

2) Music is subjective. You can't call 99% of all music crap, since it's all about someone's taste.

3) How is music designed for total idiots? That just makes no sense, it's hardly worth mentioning in my post.

4) The point above applies to your Jesus comparison, I don't know where you got this info or where you were going with it.

TC: Guitar Hero is a blast to play with friends. I enjoy it, and I've played guitar for 6+ years.

I think he's just trying piss people off.
trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 trix5817
Member since 2004 • 12252 Posts

People will hate mebecause of this.. but.. In my opinion GH is overated. Yes, I have fun when I play it with my friends but sometimes they take it to seriosly. I am a bass player and a guitar player and I always tell them to get real instruments so they can feel the extraordinary feeling while playing a great soulfull guitar solo, or to get that funky feeling of slappinga bass, and they always tell me GH is better and funner. Not only my friends tell me this, but almost all GH player tells me this. Remember if you say GH is better, is because you haven't tried a real instrument and take some time to learn things on it.MrEnvelope

Yeah, I play guitar and it's 1000x better than playing GH. The sad thing is that people actually think GH is kind of like playing guitar. It's NOTHING like it. I'm pretty damn good at guitar but I'm terrible at GH.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

I am a huge DDR fan. So i can see why GH would be huge.

But it still not has good has DDR.

Drizzt13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 Drizzt13
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts
Of course playing a real instrument is better. But you have to practise and work hard. GH is just a fun game that lets you pretend to be a good rocker. There's nothing overrated about it.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="iLiveBy2words"]Guitar Hero sucks because rock is the most overrated music genre of all time and it's fanbase is solely white males aged 15-28.MikeE21286

'

My Dad is 55 and he listens to rock....:|

My Mom is 48 or 47 I can't remember and she listens to Rock aswell, practically my whole Family listens to Rock except my Granparents since two of them listen to Country and the other one was born about 30 yearsbefore Rock.
The_PirateKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 The_PirateKing
Member since 2005 • 9714 Posts
~-~They should be looked at in different ways. GH is a video game where you can miss 25% of the notes plus strum in several more wrong places and it still counts as doing good. Real guitar you just do it to play music but you have to play it right so it probably feels a lot more satisfying to master. It's like comparing Tony Hawk games to real skateboarding. They have the same concept but are played and enjoyed in different ways so they shouldn't be compared.~-~
Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts

I'd seriously want to see GH players cry when they hit the 1 minute mark on Black Sheep expert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSvZxyIMBOo

And that's just only one of the hard songs.

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

GH isn't for Guitarists it's for Gamers who can't be bothered to ******* learn a guitar. Which applies to me. And no it's not overrated it's the greatest party game to be released in the last few years. Great series too.Riviera_Phantom

alot of people i know who play guitar hero are scary looking goths.

hello12367890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hello12367890
Member since 2005 • 977 Posts
[QUOTE="iLiveBy2words"]Guitar Hero sucks because rock is the most overrated music genre of all time and it's fanbase is solely white males aged 15-28.TheJustin

yea so what White Power
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#43 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

In my opinion motion control is overrated, but you don't see me starting threads about it.

I feel GH is the breath of fresh air needed in rhythem games. It spawned off Rock Band and now we have 2 great games to look foward to.

mish55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#44 mish55
Member since 2005 • 6995 Posts

i play real guitar

and while i think real guitar>>>>>>>>>guitar hero

i still think guitar hero is amazingly fun and a nice way to play with your friends

and also it does a great job introducing music to people who really dont listen to a certain genre(i never listened to death metal, but now i think its pretty cool)

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

In my opinion motion control is overrated, but you don't see me starting threads about it.

I feel GH is the breath of fresh air needed in rhythem games. It spawned off Rock Band and now we have 2 great games to look foward to.

immortality20

[QUOTE="TheJustin"][QUOTE="iLiveBy2words"]Guitar Hero sucks because rock is the most overrated music genre of all time and it's fanbase is solely white males aged 15-28.hello12367890

yea so what White Power

many other races listen to rock music sir.

SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SgtWhiskeyjack
Member since 2004 • 16364 Posts

i play real guitar

i still think guitar hero is amazingly fun and a nice way to play with your friends

and also it does a great job introducing music to people who really dont listen to a certain genre(i never listened to death metal, but now i think its pretty cool)

mish55

Very true. I can guess that quite a few people who play the game and really enjoyed it have since gone onto trying to learn to play a real guitar.

I believe also that this game on Hard and Expert requires almost the same amount of skill, or maybe more, as playing a real guitar.

mish55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mish55

hah!!

thats hilarious

mish55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mish55
[QUOTE="mish55"]

i play real guitar

SgtWhiskeyjack

Very true. I can guess that quite a few people who play the game and really enjoyed it have since gone onto trying to learn to play a real guitar.

I believe also that this game on Hard and Expert requires almost the same amount of skill, or maybe more, as playing a real guitar.

i disagree with the last thing you said, because once i learn a solo on real guitar, the only time it is hard is when im trying to learn it, once i learn it it doesnt become hard anymore

(i never have that samefeeling in guitar hero where i say"holy crap this part is hard" when i play real guitar)

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#49 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts
[QUOTE="iLiveBy2words"]

[QUOTE="TheJustin"][QUOTE="iLiveBy2words"]Guitar Hero sucks because rock is the most overrated music genre of all time and it's fanbase is solely white males aged 15-28.mish55

hah!!

thats hilarious

lol lol lol lol

The_PirateKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 The_PirateKing
Member since 2005 • 9714 Posts

I'd seriously want to see GH players cry when they hit the 1 minute mark on Black Sheep expert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSvZxyIMBOo

And that's just only one of the hard songs.

NobuoMusicMaker
~-~I'd try it. Just because GH is made in a way that new players don't have to go through a faze where it feels like something is being shoved up their ass doesn't mean the hard stuff isn't hard.~-~