Gears got a high score because....

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 ukillwegrill
Member since 2007 • 3528 Posts
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

gameplay 9
graphics 10
sound 10
value 9
tilt 10

p2rus

casey we know scores are all based on the relative games that are out...look at pdz. would it get aaa today? would gears?

Gears was and is a great game,quality does not decrease in time especially over one year,and if ur belief of gamnes getting score compared to one another,that measn uncharted should have got a 5 cuz its not better then any of the games of its ilk. Folklore would get a 1 as most RPGs are better Warhawk would get a 6,in fact everygame thats the the best of its genre would score poorly.

ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 ukillwegrill
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"][QUOTE="Frier6000"]

geow reviews were based only on graphics. Sometimes graphics can cover up all other aspects of a game. It clearly didnt have a goty gameplay, goty sound, goty mp, etc.

DuDisNow

yes. we know. it's a 360 game so it has to be overrated.

Always? But why would he say that?

Sarcasm???

Reading comprehension????

Jk Jk

ndrewn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 ndrewn
Member since 2006 • 605 Posts

I dont understand why everyone is hyping Gears 2. I think it will probably be a rehash of the first one and no any new graphics.

The only way I would play it is if its SP was more then 6 hours long.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 02152008
Member since 2008 • 203 Posts
[QUOTE="MonacoX"][QUOTE="Frier6000"]

geow reviews were based only on graphics. Sometimes graphics can cover up all other aspects of a game. It clearly didnt have a goty gameplay, goty sound, goty mp, etc.

DuDisNow

You clearly havent played the game yourself. It had great sound as well as great gameplay, no other game before it nailed cover-gameplay the way GeOW did.

I agree, GeOW made it fell as if you were actually going to die if you wouldn't have taken cover. The sound was also very well.

Well, it presents a test of one's abilities.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

GRAW says your wrong. It was the official first next gen game and is better than gears in every single way.ninjaxams

I agree. I actually found Graws graphics more impressive. The hdr was incredible.

More variety with the missions. The helicopter minigun sections are actually fun compared to that boring vehicle mission in Gears.

My only issue with Graw is they take the cover system out of mp.

Gears is good but its the most overrated game. Gamespot scored it higher than HL2 and gave it the same score as GTA 3 which is insane. A game with no innovation and repetitive gameplay doesnt deserve a 9+ score.

MonacoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 MonacoX
Member since 2007 • 453 Posts

[QUOTE="ninjaxams"]GRAW says your wrong. It was the official first next gen game and is better than gears in every single way.Cranler

I agree. I actually found Graws graphics more impressive. The hdr was incredible.

More variety with the missions. The helicopter minigun sections are actually fun compared to that boring vehicle mission in Gears.

My only issue with Graw is they take the cover system out of mp.

Gears is good but its the most overrated game. Gamespot scored it higher than HL2 and gave it the same score as GTA 3 which is insane. A game with no innovation and repetitive gameplay doesnt deserve a 9+ score.

I always thought GTA3 was very overrated.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts
[QUOTE="warmaster670"][QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

[QUOTE="-DarthMaul-"]I love this game the cover system was amazing in my opinion, and splitting enemies in this game provide an awesome experience.my-big-pose

It's so good other games copy it. *cough Uncharted *

like it was the first to use that system, get over yourself, tehre were multiple games that came out before GeoW that used that same system.

and it was called killswitch.

Gears cover system and combat feel is almost a carbon copy of Manhunt which came out around the same time as Killswitch.

Frier6000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Frier6000
Member since 2008 • 271 Posts

first of all geow2 doesnt even have room for improvement to beging with, how r they going to even make the game twice as long and twice as better when the first one nearly filled up the 12 year old dvd format.

vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts
[QUOTE="Frier6000"]

MonacoX

You clearly havent played the game yourself. It had great sound as well as great gameplay, no other game before it nailed cover-gameplay the way GeOW did.

Exactly, most bashers haven't played it, I think it had excellent sound, geez I'm hearing the soundtrack right now >_>

MonacoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 MonacoX

first of all geow2 doesnt even have room for improvement to beging with, how r they going to even make the game twice as long and twice as better when the first one nearly filled up the 12 year old dvd format.

Frier6000

Where did you read that the first one filled up the entire DVD? Please, provide a link validating statements like these the next time you make them.

vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts
[QUOTE="my-big-pose"][QUOTE="warmaster670"][QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

[QUOTE="-DarthMaul-"]I love this game the cover system was amazing in my opinion, and splitting enemies in this game provide an awesome experience.Cranler

It's so good other games copy it. *cough Uncharted *

like it was the first to use that system, get over yourself, tehre were multiple games that came out before GeoW that used that same system.

and it was called killswitch.

Gears cover system and combat feel is almost a carbon copy of Manhunt which came out around the same time as Killswitch.

Come on! The cover system in Manhunt was a joke, and I also played Kill.switch, that game was innovative but it was also a mess. So far the game with the most polished cover system is GeoW, kudos to that.

Frier6000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Frier6000
[QUOTE="Frier6000"]

MonacoX

Where did you read that the first one filled up the entire DVD? Please, provide a link validating statements like these the next time you make them.

I said nearly, dont turn things around now due to fraustration.

ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 ukillwegrill

Frier6000

Um no it just about fills up one layer,MS recently released new compression tools so its a moot point either way

MonacoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MonacoX

Frier6000

Who is frustrated? At least back up your claim by providing a link proving what you say is correct.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

It got most of its praise from its graphics. Fact.Cedmln

Were not talking about Gran Turismo here.

ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ukillwegrill
[QUOTE="Frier6000"][QUOTE="MonacoX"][QUOTE="Frier6000"]

MonacoX

Who is frustrated? At least back up your claim by providing a link proving what you say is correct.

stsick the game in ur DVD drive and see,its around 9GB

Its been done with the PS3 version of UT3 and that took up 8GB,and epic said they couldt fit the maps on the xbox BS

ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ukillwegrill

[QUOTE="Cedmln"]It got most of its praise from its graphics. Fact.JLF1

Sad,but very true,i dont even consider GT a racing sim anymore,its like NFS prostreet an arcade attemp at a sim,Forza is more accurtae in everyway,but hey GT looks nice

Frier6000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Frier6000

now ur comparing a godly sim with real licensed cars to some made up action figures in geow, man, i wont say it.

Frier6000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Frier6000
[QUOTE="MonacoX"][QUOTE="Frier6000"][QUOTE="MonacoX"][QUOTE="Frier6000"]

ukillwegrill

Its been done with the PS3 version of UT3 and that took up 8GB,and epic said they couldt fit the maps on the xbox BS

if geow was on ps3, it would of been ten times better and more complete. Look what just happened with mass effect on pc.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts
[QUOTE="JLF1"]

[QUOTE="Cedmln"]It got most of its praise from its graphics. Fact.Frier6000

now ur comparing a godly sim with real licensed cars to some made up action figures in geow, man, i wont say it.

So what innovation has there been between GT3 and GT4 or GT5 besides graphics?

Frier6000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Frier6000
[QUOTE="Frier6000"][QUOTE="JLF1"]

So what innovation has there been between GT3 and GT4 or GT5 besides graphics?

dude, they r racing games, just stop, thats like saying forza2 should of gotten a 3 cuz the tires are still round, i wanted em square.

dipper145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 dipper145
Member since 2007 • 1425 Posts

because its an amazing game and still is. It would get the exact same rating if it was released today. Its an absolutely amazing game.

Pure_Awesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#76 Pure_Awesome
Member since 2006 • 1684 Posts
I dont think any game on the UT3 engine looks overly fantastic, they all look the same. But I do agree with the OP to some degree.
enygma500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 enygma500
Member since 2005 • 3004 Posts

it was one of the first true next gen game when it 1st came out. and the 360 was the console who started developing nxt gen games 1st.

and remember, no one back then has ever seen great grphx like gears ever b4 the 360 came out so when gears came out it just shocked and mind blown everyone with its pretty grphx and its "next gen gameplay" (i guess u can say that).

so its scores could easily be based on how defying it was back then in gaming history since it was huge jump from a game like ff12 where back then had one of the most awesome grphx(IMO) to a game like gears with even better grphx.

im starting to think that ppl are starting to 4get thats its only been 2 years since we came into this gen.....its like everyone 4got that grhpx back in the days were in our current view is pretty lame. but back then when there was no game as pretty as crysis, games like god of war 1 or 2 were mind blowing in terms of grphx and gameplay.

so agree or disagree im just making a statement based on wat i think is right.

my-big-pose

i wrote pretty much the same thing right after gears of war came out, i mean right after. i said to all the lemmins sure gears looks good now but in a year or 2 that will be standard graphics for this gen of gaming. and i got flamed and banned for it. only are people admitting its high score was because it looked so pretty, when i was saying this same stuff the day after release.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#78 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
this is sad...gears got a high score because its a great game...stop bringing excuses
joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts
i think because of the graphics....gameplay was good too.
Chuck1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#80 Chuck1289
Member since 2008 • 798 Posts
TC learn to spell.

Gears of war is one of the most amazing games i have ever played way way better the god of war.
peacenutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 peacenutman
Member since 2004 • 1772 Posts
I like the game. Even though I HATE covering system in shooters, after playing GRAW and R6 Vegas, I though I would hate Gears, but after beat Gears, I thirst for more.
MrPostman4Chi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 MrPostman4Chi
Member since 2006 • 1219 Posts

Gears scored high becuz of its great graphics,gameplay and fantastic online.I mean theres no other game out as good as Gears,i mean the only thing so far this gen that can compare to Gears is MGS4.And on top of that we still have Gears 2 to look forward to later this year which will be alot better than the first one and im sure that one will score high too.I c'mon, can you do brutal stuff like this in other games?

Photobucket

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts
It was the first big showcase next-gen game and it's graphics were insane....that's why.
bigevil_rashek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#84 bigevil_rashek
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts

1) What is graphx?

2) I agree with the TC.......

3) Although the TC had some points, GOW deserves much more praise than that. It got high scores, but getting GOTY is another level. To get GOTY, a game has to inovate and take a diffrent approach to a proven formla, while staying true to its roots and it should have a perfect blend of graphics, gameplay and execution of its story and multiplayer(which was excellent). Gears had the right formula, and its innovation is gnot only with graphics, but it changed the Third person shooters, following in the footsteps of RE4, it added a much needed cover system and running while shooting mechanic and these changes will affect future TPS titles(like the upcoming RE5). Its execution was perfect and it changed the way TPS games should be played and tweaked the layout just right, just like previous GOTY title dis, for example: Half-life 2(physics), The grim fanadego(story telling) and Diablo(ation role-playing). It deserved GOTY(unlike Halo).

Also Halo only perfected FPS controls for console and showed us how a killer launch app should be, it didn't innovate anything else and took the path set by its predecesos(goldeneye and turok 2) to a whole diffrent level of action and storytelling,

doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts

Frier6000

here's a crazy idea how about they use...... 2 disks

elmafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 elmafia
Member since 2003 • 1490 Posts
[QUOTE="MonacoX"][QUOTE="Frier6000"][QUOTE="MonacoX"][QUOTE="Frier6000"]

ukillwegrill

How is that possible when a dual layer dvd is about 8,7GB. I just put in gears in my PC and it said 7,2GB. Thats means they have 1,5GB left to do whatever they want to with. And with better compression they might get even more.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

It was a well polished and well executed game...

I deserved AAA, but 9.5 was a bit much.

9.0 would have been perfect

sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 sadikovic
Member since 2004 • 3868 Posts
"Gears got a high score because..."...it was a great game :|, you fanboys and devotion to unraval conspiracies behind games you dont like its getting ridiculous.
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

Gears of War and Crysis shared similar flaws, only Crysis SP kicked Gears out of the park.

Yet they both scored 9.5 + ... lesson to everyone Graphics do majorly effect scores, because neither deserved more than 9.0.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Gears of War and Crysis shared similar flaws, only Crysis SP kicked Gears out of the park.

Yet they both scored 9.5 + ... lesson to everyone Graphics do majorly effect scores, because neither deserved more than 9.0.

PC360Wii

Both Crysis and Gears multiplayer was great - but flawed, mainly due to netcode reasons and bugs - however Crysis certainly trumps gears in the SP department.

Of a 9.5 Crysis is much more deserving - also counting the sandbox editor.

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#93 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
[QUOTE="PC360Wii"]

skrat_01

Both Crysis and Gears multiplayer was great - but flawed, mainly due to netcode reasons and bugs - however Crysis certainly trumps gears in the SP department.

Of a 9.5 Crysis is much more deserving - also counting the sandbox editor.

yeah, counting the sandbox editor it's most definitely worth the score.

Auricom-R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#94 Auricom-R
Member since 2006 • 465 Posts
It was more of an 8.6 in my opinion. The gameplay was very fun, but there were also many annoying flaws. And I don't think it was because they were amazed by the next-gen experience "back then". The graphics were the only big leap, that's all.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
deactivated-5f89ab8e63049

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts

I don't think Gears deserved its high score. All it really has are graphics and a good cover system. It had a weak story, repetitive and laggy online, 2-dimensional characters and those annoying little crawly Locust which run toward you and annoy the hell out of you.

Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
gears's cover system was fairly innovative at the time but now ith vegas, uncharted, and other games pulling it off i can see gears 2 not living up to the first one.
toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts

my god, use correct english. :P

Also Gears got it score because of its awesome game engine and work that went into the game.

It utalises low and high polygon meshes on the fly which hardly any game engines do (even the next gen ones). Yes this does come at a cost but it gives some amazing textures and shadowing when the high mesh is baked into the lower mesh.

It got its score on technical levels as well as solid gameplay.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#99 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
If visuals were anything Lost Planet would have gotten a 9 and Crysis would have won a ton of GOTY awards.

Gears of War did.

I agree that if gears was released today, it might get 9.0 or 8.5 and wouldnt even be close to the 9.5, But It would still be a good game.

IF enough new additions are made, the online is fixed(because they will review for host advantage this time), and the campaign is better than Gears 2 can easily get a 9.0.

The gameplay was very good and the gunplay was fun as well. I mean it was a very noobish shooter, but its still a good game.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#100 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
gears's cover system was fairly innovative at the time but now ith vegas, uncharted, and other games pulling it off i can see gears 2 not living up to the first one.Ragashahs
um i understand vegas, but just about ever reviewere agrees that uncharted bites off of gears and in many ways Gears did it better.