GDC 08: Microsoft To Buy Out Epic, Gamepro Says

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

numba1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51 numba1234
Member since 2007 • 3561 Posts

[QUOTE="numba1234"][QUOTE="PS3Compass"]But what will happen to the Unreal Engine then? Will M$ have exclusive use of it? :question:BreakingPoint8

Unreal Engine will not be used as the global engine, some other person will make a different engine, which all the devs will use. THIS will hurt Microsoft.

Not that many developers rely on the Unreal engine, and in my opinion the less studios that use it the better.

It's good for making games look pretty, but it has a hefty cost on performance in most cases.

It is the biggest engine atm. It is the criterion engine of this gen. The most important engine..
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="inertk"]

[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]I think this is the worst news I've read in a long time. Epic has always been great to the gaming community. They've always been on the gamers side and have long supported big communities, made development tools available and of course supported MODS. You can kiss all that good bye if MS buys them.PS3Compass

Yeah I forgot about that side of it all, MS LOVES to charge for **** we should get for free.

Luckily I'm not even touching DLC on any platform.

It's not just MS, though. 2 Resistance maps are like $8...

Warhawk has expensive DLC, also.

Yeah, Motorstorm had overpriced DLC also. Two bucks for an ONE extra car. :evil:

Exactly. They both **** their fans over. :( I don't mind paying for DLC if it's something worth buying, like an expansion pack.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]I think this is the worst news I've read in a long time. Epic has always been great to the gaming community. They've always been on the gamers side and have long supported big communities, made development tools available and of course supported MODS. You can kiss all that good bye if MS buys them.inertk

Yeah I forgot about that side of it all, MS LOVES to charge for **** we should get for free.

Where does MS or Epic fit into that? Wait, didn't Epic have a problem with MS making them charge for extra content for Gears? I can't recall correctly.

And LOL if you think Sony is even in the same realm as Downloadable content-bull as MS.

Actually, Resistance and Warhawk maps were more expensive than Halo and Gears maps, so Sony's even worse.

numba1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 numba1234
[QUOTE="numba1234"][QUOTE="PS3Compass"]But what will happen to the Unreal Engine then? Will M$ have exclusive use of it? :question:MushroomRevenge
Unreal Engine will not be used as the global engine, some other person will make a different engine, which all the devs will use. THIS will hurt Microsoft.

Making it available for 3rd party games only on the 360/PC wouldn't hurt Microsoft. I doubt Epic would want to lose its ability to market the Unreal Engine for 3rd party devs, so I'd so the deal isn't gonna happen.

Yea losing 30% (ps3 market) will be very helpful. I mean in all honesty, why would they use unreal engine 3, which total point was to make multiplat games. They will probably use the white engine, or many otehr engines from other devs. It is by far the dumbest move I've seen. And epic doesn't cost close to a billion $'s
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
[QUOTE="inertk"]

[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]I think this is the worst news I've read in a long time. Epic has always been great to the gaming community. They've always been on the gamers side and have long supported big communities, made development tools available and of course supported MODS. You can kiss all that good bye if MS buys them.BioShockOwnz

You are trying to spin it into a Playstation vs Xbox argument.

We are talking about Epic they did Unreal Tournament 3. They are not the people behind Resistance and Warhawk. And anything extra on PS3 for Unreal Tournament 3 is Free thru MOD support. And it's the reason you never saw Unreal Tournament 3 on X360 because Microsoft will not allow MODs.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts
:| Wow......
dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]I think this is the worst news I've read in a long time. Epic has always been great to the gaming community. They've always been on the gamers side and have long supported big communities, made development tools available and of course supported MODS. You can kiss all that good bye if MS buys them.inertk

Where does MS or Epic fit into that? Wait, didn't Epic have a problem with MS making them charge for extra content for Gears? I can't recall correctly.

And LOL if you think Sony is even in the same realm as Downloadable content-bull as MS.

PS3 is going that way, and you are joking yourself if you don't think that. Sony wants their store to be just like MS anyways. Plus, if you have a PC, you shouldn't have any problem. I doubt MS will change anything pertaining to PC versions anyway, and that's where all the mods are.

BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 BreakingPoint8
Member since 2007 • 3347 Posts
[QUOTE="MushroomRevenge"][QUOTE="numba1234"][QUOTE="PS3Compass"]But what will happen to the Unreal Engine then? Will M$ have exclusive use of it? :question:numba1234

Making it available for 3rd party games only on the 360/PC wouldn't hurt Microsoft. I doubt Epic would want to lose its ability to market the Unreal Engine for 3rd party devs, so I'd so the deal isn't gonna happen.

Yea losing 30% (ps3 market) will be very helpful. I mean in all honesty, why would they use unreal engine 3, which total point was to make multiplat games. They will probably use the white engine, or many otehr engines from other devs. It is by far the dumbest move I've seen. And epic doesn't cost close to a billion $'s

Square Enix isn't going to license the White Engine out, atleast I doubt that they will.
dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 dkhw

[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]I think this is the worst news I've read in a long time. Epic has always been great to the gaming community. They've always been on the gamers side and have long supported big communities, made development tools available and of course supported MODS. You can kiss all that good bye if MS buys them.EmperorSupreme

You are trying to spin it into a Playstation vs Xbox argument.

We are talking about Epic they did Unreal Tournament 3. They are not the people behind Resistance and Warhawk. And anything extra on PS3 for Unreal Tournament 3 is Free thru MOD support. And it's the reason you never saw Unreal Tournament 3 on X360 because Microsoft will not allow MODs.

PS3 has VERY few mods. The best version is on PC anyways. Sony is also scared of some of the mods crashing during the gameplay due to memory overload.

numba1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 numba1234
[QUOTE="numba1234"][QUOTE="MushroomRevenge"][QUOTE="numba1234"][QUOTE="PS3Compass"]But what will happen to the Unreal Engine then? Will M$ have exclusive use of it? :question:BreakingPoint8

Square Enix isn't going to license the White Engine out, atleast I doubt that they will.

Cryengine could be used. Source Engine could be used. White engine could be used. EA will use propiertary engine(stop using unreal engine), activision, eidos, and many other big publishers will aswell.
SkullboyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 SkullboyX
Member since 2004 • 6407 Posts
[QUOTE="BreakingPoint8"][QUOTE="JayPee89"]

They could've got Bioware/Pandemic for cheaper. :|

dkhw

Yeah seriously, that would have been a better purchase.

All they could have bought both...that would have made much more sense.

Remember EA bought those guys. They would have to pay a hefty price to snag it from EA.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
[QUOTE="inertk"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="inertk"]

dkhw

PS3 is going that way, and you are joking yourself if you don't think that. Sony wants their store to be just like MS anyways. Plus, if you have a PC, you shouldn't have any problem. I doubt MS will change anything pertaining to PC versions anyway, and that's where all the mods are.

I agree microtransactions are what MS and Sony both want, but at least Sony didn't stop a game from coming to the system over it.

So I have to give Sony credit for that.
BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 BreakingPoint8
Well ofcourse, don't get it twisted I don't want developers to use the Unreal Engine. I want them to make their own engines, atleast for high profile games.
Douja555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Douja555
Member since 2006 • 651 Posts

Gears = the new Halo

Epic = the new Bungie

another awesome combonation all over again.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#65 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts
Well, it would be a good move considering Bungie's newly found independence. Sounds completely plausable to me. We shall see.
BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 BreakingPoint8
[QUOTE="dkhw"][QUOTE="BreakingPoint8"][QUOTE="JayPee89"]

SkullboyX

Remember EA bought those guys. They would have to pay a hefty price to snag it from EA.

I still think EA and Microsoft got something going on behind closed doors.
dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 dkhw
[QUOTE="dkhw"][QUOTE="BreakingPoint8"][QUOTE="JayPee89"]

SkullboyX

I know that. i am just saying that buying to devs that supported Xbox franchise the most and produced some of the best Xbox and 360 games should haven't been bought out even before EA had a chance to.

inertk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 inertk
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
[QUOTE="inertk"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="inertk"]

[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]I think this is the worst news I've read in a long time. Epic has always been great to the gaming community. They've always been on the gamers side and have long supported big communities, made development tools available and of course supported MODS. You can kiss all that good bye if MS buys them.BioShockOwnz

Actually, Resistance and Warhawk maps were more expensive than Halo and Gears maps, so Sony's even worse.

Except MS charges for more things than Sony, especially silly things. Sony charged more for the map packs, but MS charges for so much more it's not even funny. Then you've got the closed nature of XBL meaning you can't even add your own things like backgrounds. Suppose higher map pack prices = free online?

How much is 800 gamerpoints in actual currency btw?

Besides, what I was talking about was if this ends up being true then MS will be able to charge as much as they damn well please since they'll have control on what Epic delivers. If it's not on another platform for free Microsoft can make us all buy it. Then there's restricted support.

If it does end up being true.

Edit: I will say that for most of the content on high profile games like Gears or Halo, MS will eventually make that stuff free. Like map packs. I'm unsure as to whether or not Sony does them so I'll give them the old thumbs up for that. (y)

Kakarot00769

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Kakarot00769
Member since 2004 • 9306 Posts

bad move for MS if they buy epic , MS is getting titles from them now ..no need to buy em out lol

Buy square-enix or EA

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#70 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
You reap what you sow
BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 BreakingPoint8

bad move for MS if they buy epic , MS is getting titles from them now ..no need to buy em out lol

Buy square-enix or EA

Kakarot00769
Woah slow down big boy, we're talking about buying a development studio not one of the two largest publishers in the business. That's over board.
SkullboyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 SkullboyX
Member since 2004 • 6407 Posts

Buy square-enix or EA

Kakarot00769

By the way that things go, I somewhat think that a Japanese company has to ask permission from their government before the can sell themselves to a foreign corperation.

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts

Buy square-enix or EA

Kakarot00769

I don't see why is a bad move. I mean Gears of War 3 is not exclusive only 1 and 2 is at the moment. Plus who knows what projects Epic is already working on besides Gears and UT etc... They might know about some of these projects and see fit in the grand picture to just buy them out. If this is even true or if it will happen who knows

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

A win win situation for M$. Not only they'll get big bucks from exclusives they'll get big bucks for the other multiplat games that uses the engine. Jump in.

dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 dkhw
[QUOTE="Kakarot00769"]

Buy square-enix or EA

SkullboyX

By the way that things go, I somewhat think that a Japanese company has to ask permission from their government before the can sell themselves to a foreign corperation.

Plus, if SE was available for purchase, i think Sony would have bought it out long time ago. Also, EA is multi-billion dollar dev that will take crazy money to buy, something M$ or Sony not likely to pay up. Also, I don't think EA will sell themselves anytime soon.

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 kcpp2b

A win win situation for M$. Not only they'll get big bucks from exclusives they'll get big bucks for the other multiplat games that uses the engine. Jump in.

ReverseCycology

So buying Epic would mean buying their engine too?

I dont see this happening anyway... just another rumour

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#77 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

[QUOTE="numba1234"][QUOTE="PS3Compass"]But what will happen to the Unreal Engine then? Will M$ have exclusive use of it? :question:BreakingPoint8

Not that many developers rely on the Unreal engine, and in my opinion the less studios that use it the better.

It's good for making games look pretty, but it has a hefty cost on performance in most cases.

There's over 150 developers that license the engine. I don't think this will change anything on the Engine part. Crytech is owned by EA and they still license out the Cry engine to third party developers.

E M I N 3 M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 E M I N 3 M
Member since 2002 • 2615 Posts
[QUOTE="ReverseCycology"]

kcpp2b

Correct. M$ would receive royalties from any 3rd party dev using the engine. If this happens...It's going to be HUGE! Wierd things going on.....If M$ makes a BD add-on, they will have to pay royalties to Sony for every player sold. Let's wait to see if anything is announced @ the key notes. This could get interesting......hMmm
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 kcpp2b
[QUOTE="kcpp2b"][QUOTE="ReverseCycology"]

E M I N 3 M

Correct. M$ would receive royalties from any 3rd party dev using the engine. If this happens...It's going to be HUGE! Wierd things going on.....If M$ makes a BD add-on, they will have to pay royalties to Sony for every player sold. Let's wait to see if anything is announced @ the key notes. This could get interesting......hMmm

Them doing a BR add on is not a big deal. Do you realize how long Sony has been making Sony PC's with Windows built into them? I'm working on a Sony Vaio right now that came with Windows, just business..

flatline711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 flatline711
Member since 2005 • 2015 Posts

[QUOTE="club-sandwich"]I honestly see this happening after what EPIC said...stika

lol i love your sig

didnt you had a sig with a can of tune and a loaf of bread saying they wanted to make sandwiches?

He always has the best sigs XD

flatline711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 flatline711
Member since 2005 • 2015 Posts
[QUOTE="BreakingPoint8"]

[QUOTE="numba1234"][QUOTE="PS3Compass"]But what will happen to the Unreal Engine then? Will M$ have exclusive use of it? :question:-Renegade

There's over 150 developers that license the engine. I don't think this will change anything on the Engine part. Crytech is owned by EA and they still license out the Cry engine to third party developers.

>_> Crytek is not owned by EA.

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

I don't see them doing this in the middle of Epic's lawsuit.

BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 BreakingPoint8

I don't see them doing this in the middle of Epic's lawsuit.

II-FBIsniper-II
That's right I forgot about their lawsuit with Silicon Knights, maybe Microsoft is trying to settle things between the two?
Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts

good for them?

Epic is crap anyways...

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts
Well MS already bought Gears...and UT3 did not break any records, so for now MS is buying out Gears forever and the engine itself...probably a new game in 09?
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts

Hmm... Interesting. I don't think it will happen though.

It would be a good move for MS to do this. I already like playing Gears with the 360 controller anyways.

BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 BreakingPoint8
Well MS already bought Gears...and UT3 did not break any records, so for now MS is buying out Gears forever and the engine itself...probably a new game in 09?Kahuna_1
Microsoft only has the rights to publish Gears of War 1 and 2.
Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts

[QUOTE="Kahuna_1"]Well MS already bought Gears...and UT3 did not break any records, so for now MS is buying out Gears forever and the engine itself...probably a new game in 09?BreakingPoint8
Microsoft only has the rights to publish Gears of War 1 and 2.

Yeah that is why I said if they buy Epic, they buy Gears forever.

SaintsRowSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#89 SaintsRowSam
Member since 2006 • 2807 Posts

and people say money dosent make the man pfft :lol:

its official gears of war 2 3 and 4 exclusive to pc and xbox360

Uptown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Uptown
Member since 2002 • 10348 Posts

even if true....how many good games has Epic actually pushed out the door? Not many if I recall...Gears of War isnt enough to make this an OMG news story IMO. UT games will still come to the PC etc

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

and people say money dosent make the man pfft :lol:

its official gears of war 2 3 and 4 exclusive to pc and xbox360

SaintsRowSam

Bingo, on Microsoft platforms, 360 and Gaming For Windows.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

Gamepro's top 6 predictions have zero info on Epic.

http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/domestic/games/features/162348.shtml

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

I honestly see this happening after what EPIC said...club-sandwich

What exactly did they say? I seemed to have missed it... :S

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts
Is Epic really worth a billion dollars? They have one big console hit in large part do to advertising and no competition and one sales flop whilethe Championship games never becoming really big. I have to say if Microsoft did not own the desktop OS monopoly than they would be considered a very poor performing company, they lost in the mp3 market, the search/advertising market, god knows when their console division will make them all the billions they lost back. Not only that but they completly failed to achieve the goals that they set when they entered the market, they are insignificant in online movie sales and it looks like Sony won with BluRay. Even their latest OS product is just a replacement for their old OS, not a significant improvment.
Ajam666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Ajam666
Member since 2007 • 194 Posts
I believe there is a chance ms will buy epic seeing as MS is part of that PC alliance epic would just make games for both PC/360 allowing them to help the pc world while setting their priorities with the xbox brand
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

Is Epic really worth a billion dollars? They have one big console hit in large part do to advertising and no competition and one sales flop whilethe Championship games never becoming really big. I have to say if Microsoft did not own the desktop OS monopoly than they would be considered a very poor performing company, they lost in the mp3 market, the search/advertising market, god knows when their console division will make them all the billions they lost back. Not only that but they completly failed to achieve the goals that they set when they entered the market, they are insignificant in online movie sales and it looks like Sony won with BluRay. Even their latest OS product is just a replacement for their old OS, not a significant improvment.Nikalai_88
Huh?

killerkane246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#97 killerkane246
Member since 2005 • 809 Posts
i dnt think it would happen. A lot of PS3 titles use the unreal engine. Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 is coming out and it uses it. I dnt think they would go to MS after what epic said about how good the ps3 was and how they were syked about mod support.
Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Heydanbud92
Member since 2007 • 4464 Posts

Perfect. Exactly what MS needs.

But why did they have to get rid of bungie???

HeHateMe_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 HeHateMe_basic
Member since 2002 • 7161 Posts

the loss of bungie isnt a big deal as it seems. Bungie being able to make another hit as big as Halo is a long shot. MS knew this so they cut Bungie free. Bungie has done wonders to get MS where they are now, if Not for Halo back in 2001 the 360 might not even be here.

But imo MS does need to do something, seems like they are getting to comfortable and they are not worried about getting big deals or making big moves. Kinda like Sony did and now they are in 3rd place. 360 is already getting Gears 2, i dont see how buying Epic would help MS in the console race. it might help thier pocket via the Unreal Engine. but ps3 or wii owners wont care if 360 gets UT exclusive. MS needs to start making some moves with XBL and Big Games. maybe even another price cut.

QuasidodoJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 QuasidodoJr
Member since 2004 • 474 Posts
There's the difference between Sony and Microsoft. While Sony earned exclusives for the PS2 by building successful relationships, Microsoft just buys everything out. :?