Gamestop the problem in gaming? (video)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jukev2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 jukev2424
Member since 2013 • 269 Posts

First time i have seen this video. Wonder what other people think about this. I agree with the video because online passes and DLC are a normality now and i think it is BS. Your opinion?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

more like gameSPOT the problem of gaming.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Not that fat moron...

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

boogie2988 is so popular in these here parts.

@clyde46 fat? oh my god I never noticed.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts
  1. This video is old.
  2. This topic is even older.
  3. This is GS' primary from of income. The used business is huge to them. Of course they push used copies.
linkdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 linkdarkside
Member since 2003 • 6279 Posts

screw DLC that a big F.U to the gamers most of the time , the only good DLC are expansions.

@clyde46 said:

Not that fat moron...

and yet he is more intelligent than you are.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

nothing wrong with gamestop... i go to 3 different gamestop, just depend where i am at in the city, but i never come across the issues people attempt to describe. Never get "haggled" about pre ordering, Never get asked to buy a used game when i ask to buy a new copy,

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@linkdarkside said:

screw DLC that a big F.U to the gamers most of the time , the only good DLC are expansions.

@clyde46 said:

Not that fat moron...

So intelligence is measured by whining into a webcam and posting it on Youtube?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12062 Posts

Just traded in my PS3 to pay for The One next week.

I love it when businesses see a hole in the market and fill it with a good idea.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#11 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@linkdarkside said:

@clyde46 said:

Not that fat moron...

i would, if i made my livelihood off of youtube anyday

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@kingoflife9 said:

I kind of now don't support used games. Why should gamestop get 100% of the "used" $55 game when they didn't do shit to make the game? I always buy new games, and if I can't afford it I just wait for the price to drop...I did that with Gears of War 2 when it went down to $30.

GameStop bought the game, that's why they should get everything. That preowned game, was once new. Preowned means someone has already BOUGHT that game, meaning the publisher has already been paid for that copy. WHY should the publisher get paid twice for one copy of a game?

jukev2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jukev2424

@dotWithShoes: good point. But the margins gamestop makes on used games is disgusting, buy a week old game for $30, sell for $55? thats why i sell mine on ebay or friends

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

if they are a problem for you then don't use them.

you have options other than whining about getting screwed then lining up to take some more.

i have not bought or traded with them in over 5 years.

i swear to god you people piss and moan then just go back for more.

it's not rocket science.

if you don't like a retailer then don't use them.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Not that fat moron...

Dude's pretty smart actually. You sure you just didn't watch his joke character "francis"? where he purposefully whines?

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dotWithShoes

@jukev2424 said:

@dotWithShoes: good point. But the margins gamestop makes on used games is disgusting, buy a week old game for $30, sell for $55? thats why i sell mine on ebay or friends

They may "Make" $25 on that game, but then you also have to take into account the overhead that they have to pay. They have to pay for general utilities for the store out of this "profit", They have to pay the lackey that processes the game(does the transaction for the trade, then deals with it after the trade), and you also have to take into account how long that game can stay on the shelf. If they give me $30 for a game, and then it doesn't sell for a few weeks and goes down in price.. or someone does a buy two get one free, they lose money on that $30. The majority of GameStop's profit comes from preowned games, but don't think they make $25 profit on EVERY game they sell for $55 that they pay $30 for. It's just not true.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kuu2

@jukev2424 said:

Sounds like you should undercut them and start your own store. Should be super simple based on it being "disgusting". I am sure many gamers will flock to the doors of your business.

linkdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By linkdarkside
Member since 2003 • 6279 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

@clyde46 said:

@linkdarkside said:

@clyde46 said:

Not that fat moron...

i would, if i made my livelihood off of youtube anyday

i would too ,if i did not had a strong social anxiety disorder.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Personally don't shop there but you can't be mad about companies making business out of something where there is money to be made. That's their primary business. Hell that's their only business. Amazon and Best Buy accept trade ins as well. Amazon and Ebay encourage trade ins, used games and reselling. If a publisher really disliked Gamestop then they wouldn't do business with them would they?

But oh they do. If they want to curb that all they have to do is not allow used games to be played on the console. I would have been in support of that this gen because the model works on PC and it means games can drop in price a lot sooner. Games can go on sale more often. Hell they could probably even lower the initial cost of the game back down to $50 and still come out of the other end having made more profit.

IF their is a problem, Gamestop isn't it and the fix is easy..

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
@kingoflife9 said:

@dotWithShoes said:

@kingoflife9 said:

I kind of now don't support used games. Why should gamestop get 100% of the "used" $55 game when they didn't do shit to make the game? I always buy new games, and if I can't afford it I just wait for the price to drop...I did that with Gears of War 2 when it went down to $30.

GameStop bought the game, that's why they should get everything. That preowned game, was once new. Preowned means someone has already BOUGHT that game, meaning the publisher has already been paid for that copy. WHY should the publisher get paid twice for one copy of a game?

because they aren't getting paid twice for the same game. they are LOSING the money the second person would have given them buying the game new. 2 people walk into a store, one buys the new game and the publisher gets the money, the other person buys the used game the publisher gets zero.

Of course, because the publisher already GOT PAID when Gamestop bought the game from them. What people like you don't realize is the publisher could easily do the same thing Gamestop is doing and resell the used games. LOL!! They just don't want to invest the time and money in doing so.

@clyde46 said:

Not that fat moron...

Francis is an idiot. When games were on cartridges, publishers and developers were making a mint and it was fairly cheap to make games. Only needed like 3-10 people. Now because games cost a hellavu lot more, publishers NOW feel they should get money from used games. They weren't thinking about used games 20 years ago. Publishers and developers need to figure out how to budget their costs so they aren't spending $5-$10 million to make one game. With these new next-gen consoles is should take a lot less time to make games, which means less money publishers need to spend. Also, these publishing companies need to stop giving out $500K - $2 bonuses to their CEO's and Presidents. That's ridiculous.

jukev2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jukev2424
@kuu2 said:

@jukev2424 said:

Sounds like you should undercut them and start your own store. Should be super simple based on it being "disgusting". I am sure many gamers will flock to the doors of your business.

It is simple, I can put a game on ebay for $45 and it will sell in one day.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

The sad thing is (as an employee of five years who quit recently because... Well I have a degree and retail sucks), gamestop's not making that much money right now. All the copies of madden and call of duty they buy for 15-20 bucks and then sit in the back until they're 5 dollars is draining them like crazy... As someone who's grown to hate the company, it makes me very happy.

I've spoken to some of the higher ups, and most people in the company are scrambling to make sure they don't end up as irrelevant as blockbuster in the next half decade or so.

Coming from a sony/Nintendo fan, the original Xbox one policies everyone hated would have done wonders for used game prices.

jukev2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jukev2424

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: random question, but what kind of employee discount did you receive

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I only bought two used games this gen and don't see me buying anymore ever due to how cheap I can find them on Amazon new. The closest I come to buying DLC is waiting for the GOTY edition of a game and buying that when it is around $20 for console and $10 or less for PC. I haven't stepped foot into a gamestop in years. I think the last game I bought through gamestop was when I pre-ordered two copies of Guild Wars Nightfall for me and my girl to play together. Haven't been back and see no reason to ever return.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AmazonTreeBoa

@clyde46 said:

@linkdarkside said:

@clyde46 said:

Not that fat moron...

I don't want to call you an idiot, but in this case you are. That "whining" you are referring to, yeah that is him in his Francis character. That's not him. You have to watch one of his videos where he isn't playing as Francis to get to know the real him. His "Draw my Life" video is a good start. It is sad, but you will get to know him a lot better and if I am correct, he explains Francis in that video as well. He is whiny at all unless he is in character.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

If people didn't read in their games, but they do, its their choice. GS isn't forcing people to trade in their games.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AmazonTreeBoa

@Heil68 said:

If people didn't read in their games, but they do, its their choice. GS isn't forcing people to trade in their games.

Um...WHAT?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Heil68 said:

Um...WHAT?

GS isn't forcing people to trade in their video games for cash/trade. How is them trying to sell used games to other customers a problem? i like my local GS, the manager is cool and the whole staff is friendly.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I haven't purchased a game from Gamestop since like 2008 maybe lol.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa

@Heil68 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Heil68 said:

Um...WHAT?

GS isn't forcing people to trade in their video games for cash/trade. How is them trying to sell used games to other customers a problem? i like my local GS, the manager is cool and the whole staff is friendly.

OKay, but what does that have to do with reading? You mentioned reading, but I didn't understand the sentence.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I agree with him on a whole host of issues, but I disagree with him on particular issue...

It's not the choice of the consumer in choosing whether to buy new or used is hurting the gaming industry, the problem with GameStop is if the game is not relatively new, the chances that they have new factory sealed copies is slim. GameStop makes a choice not to have new copy inventory shortly after most games' releases, and they do that to force the used games. It's not that gamers are strictly choosing to buy used that's the issue, it's that GameStop doesn't give you that option and forces people to buy used.

Personally, I think gamers would choose new over used in most cases. For one, many times the product integrity is in question, games are often scratched or in bad condition, cases are missing and so are manuals or inserts. And unless the game is $60, then it will sell for $55, at $40 it sells for $36, at $20 it sells for $18, the savings aren't that big with older games and in those cases I think gamers would opt for new. In fact, they have such a monopoly on retail used games that their used games sometimes go for more than they do brand spanking new elsewhere like Amazon or Fry's.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kuu2

@jukev2424 said:
@kuu2 said:

@jukev2424 said:

Go make your millions then and put Gamestop out of business. Call us when it happens.

gamespot4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gamespot4life
Member since 2007 • 1301 Posts

When I saw the obese guy on the video I decided not to watch it, he should get a life and exercize instead of complaining about gaming, probably still lives in his moms basement.

jukev2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jukev2424

@kuu2 said:

@jukev2424 said:
@kuu2 said:

@jukev2424 said:

Go make your millions then and put Gamestop out of business. Call us when it happens.

Never said i wanted to make millions, if everyone sold on ebay or elsewhere, gamestop would go out of business

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Sorry....couldn't sit through that. He's an idiot. But you can worship him if you choose....

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

"Buying used is wrong. You're the problem"

Yada yada yada.

Can't say I care, Francis.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dotWithShoes

@lamprey263 said:

I agree with him on a whole host of issues, but I disagree with him on particular issue...

It's not the choice of the consumer in choosing whether to buy new or used is hurting the gaming industry, the problem with GameStop is if the game is not relatively new, the chances that they have new factory sealed copies is slim. GameStop makes a choice not to have new copy inventory shortly after most games' releases, and they do that to force the used games. It's not that gamers are strictly choosing to buy used that's the issue, it's that GameStop doesn't give you that option and forces people to buy used.

I agree completely, last time I was in a GameStop and tried to buy a game, the dude used a knife and told me I was buying this game preowned or else. Rough experience. I raged and left like the puss I am.

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

My town has two Gamestops. I went into the one in the mall today, while on my lunch. Guy at the counter is shooting the shit with some dude about the PS4 and Xbox One, meanwhile a line of 5+ people has formed, not getting helped at all. I got fed up with waiting and left.

After work, I drove to the other GS in town, because I had a buy two get one free coupon I wanted to use. Didn't get greeted, didn't get asked if I needed help, nothing at all. Lapped the store twice, no acknowledgement. Left without buying anything.

Earlier this week, I tried to buy Dragon's Crown for my Vita. Guy had NO idea what it was, and then told me they didn't have it. My reply was "you have one on the rack, right there". His reply, "oh...yeah. We have that."

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

Publishers are the problem. If they dont like gamestop's tactics, then they should stop kissing gamestops ass with exclusive preorder bonuses and content.

Simply put its easier for the publisher to nickel and dime the consumer than actually taking the companies causing the problem head on. So until publishers start going after gamestop's pocket book instead of mine, i have zero sympathy for them.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@jukev2424: You get 15% off everything except brand new systems. Fun fact about those: Retailers don't make a dime off console sales, only games and accessories. The problem is the big 3 only stocks their games with retailers who also sell their system. (<<< to immediately answer the foul-cryers who are going to say I'm an idiot, and nobody would sell something they don't make money off of).

Also, if you have their stupid discount card, it stacks with your discount on used games, giving you 25% off..

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lamprey263

@dotWithShoes said:

@lamprey263 said:

I agree completely, last time I was in a GameStop and tried to buy a game, the dude used a knife and told me I was buying this game preowned or else. Rough experience. I raged and left like the puss I am.

I don't know if you're being serious or not (knife part obviously not), but GameStop's don't keep a new copy inventory for long. It bugs me because there are games out there I don't want to spend $60 on when they first come out, sometimes I want to wait until they're $40, $30, or even $20; but if I'm going to wait that long, chances are they're not going to have new copy inventory of those games unless they were horrible sellers and they couldn't sell the last of them off, or they have that one last gutted copy nobody wants and they want to charge full price for.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@lamprey263: It is rather annoying that when you want something that's not sports/COD/Assassin's Creed as little as six months after release, all they have on offer is some raggedy, sun-drained opened copy that they'll plaster with their awful sticky seals that will make your gaming shelf feel like you jerked off on all the cases..

The company's rather annoying in their practices.

On a side note, they always find ways to shift the truth. How many times have you been promised the "premium edition" if you preorder only to find that the "premium edition" is sitting on every one of their competitors' shelves on day one?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lamprey263

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

little as six months after release, all they have on offer is some raggedy, sun-drained opened copy that they'll plaster with their awful sticky seals that will make your gaming shelf feel like you jerked off on all the cases

ha, I don't think anybody could have said that better

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@lamprey263: You work at an awful job for half a decade while making it through college, you'll form some pretty extreme metaphors about your company's shortcomings.

But thank you. Encouraging words come far and few between on these boards.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dotWithShoes

@lamprey263 said:

@dotWithShoes said:

I don't know if you're being serious or not (knife part obviously not), but GameStop's don't keep a new copy inventory for long. It bugs me because there are games out there I don't want to spend $60 on when they first come out, sometimes I want to wait until they're $40, $30, or even $20; but if I'm going to wait that long, chances are they're not going to have new copy inventory of those games unless they were horrible sellers and they couldn't sell the last of them off, or they have that one last gutted copy nobody wants and they want to charge full price for.

It's funny I've seen brand new, sealed, never sold copies of plenty of games at my GameStop. Hell, even games 2-3 years old.I remember grabbing a copy of Battlefield Bad Company 2, still sealed in its original copy just last year.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

I wonder how J.K. Rowling feels about Libraries....