Gamespot hands on: "Switch OLED: a more vivid and illuminating picture that looks clear, bright, and stunning in motion"

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

Yep, as someone who plays primarily in handheld, I can't wait to get my hands on this bigger, better beauty in my hands. Hopefully we get some good trade in value for our older models.

"We got our first hands-on with the new Nintendo Switch OLED, and while it's not the next big thing, it left me impressed with how much it improved the console."

More at the jump:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/hands-on-the-nintendo-switch-oled-isnt-the-consoles-true-successor-and-thats-just-fine/1100-6493757/

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

STUNNING CRYSTAL CLEAR 720P GAMING

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Casey-Wegner

@hardwenzen said:

1080p in a handheld would drain the battery in half the time. That would be a terrible mistake.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I don't believe what Nintendo is offering in this new design (not counting it as an upgrade) warrants a purchase from anyone that already has a Switch and has it docked 95% of the time. Especially those of us that don't sub to their online service.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Casey-Wegner

@Telekill said:

I don't believe what Nintendo is offering in this new design (not counting it as an upgrade) warrants a purchase from anyone that already has a Switch and has it docked 95% of the time. Especially those of us that don't sub to their online service.

Nah, but for the majority of us that play handheld it's a no brainer.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Crystal clear 540p gaming.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

Despite all the moaning and groaning, it still going to be sold out. 🤷‍♀️

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hardwenzen

@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:

1080p in a handheld would drain the battery in half the time. That would be a terrible mistake.

Since we're at it, lets lower it to 480p so the battery lasts longer than 2 hours. The screen is small, so nobody would notice the resolution from 1998 anyways🤣

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Two Switches, full price games, amiibo's and whatever else = More expensive than a gaming rig.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

Preorders are selling out. Scalpers already selling as much as $800. This is crazy. I want to get one too.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

As someone who has no interest in a PS or Xbox, I do kind of want a Switch because Nintendo intrigues me....

@mesome713 said:

Preorders are selling out. Scalpers already selling as much as $800. This is crazy. I want to get one too.

...and now that intrique has been ruined. Thanks, fellow humans.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

If i didnt have a switch and was interested in getting one then the OLED model is the one i would get. I had an OLED vita...it was nice :). I mean its 50 bucks more but nicer screen, more storage, nicer speakers, better backstand...its a nice refinement.

I do own a switch though and i cant fathom why an existing switch owner would even consider getting this.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

I wonder how many of the haters here secretly own a Switch but will never admit it because they so desperately want to be regarded as "edgy"?

"What? Enjoy something that's popular? No way, man, I'm too cool for that!"

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1038 Posts

Of course the screen is better…but…at that price tag…with no upgrade to internals? Just not worth it, unless you’re a hardcore Nintendo fan or play in handheld mode primarily. It’s a cash grab that I don’t see panning out well for Nintendo. They’ll spend more time and money than they make off it. I just have a feeling most people won’t fall for it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Sounds ok. I occasionally play in handheld mode so there is some benefit there for me. Wouldn’t mind replacing my current Switch with this new OLED model but I’m not really in a rush to do so either.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

@nnoyinghusband said:

Of course the screen is better…but…at that price tag…with no upgrade to internals? Just not worth it, unless you’re a hardcore Nintendo fan or play in handheld mode primarily. It’s a cash grab that I don’t see panning out well for Nintendo. They’ll spend more time and money than they make off it. I just have a feeling most people won’t fall for it.

This has been Nintendo's practice that goes back to the NES era. Do you expect big changes between revisions of Nintendo's consoles and handhelds?

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Same joycons that get drift? Yikes.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Why would anyone with a current Switch sell theirs for this new one? Maybe get $200 for current Switch, then drop another $150 for a slightly prettier screen? Nope. I really wish they'd release a switch that was only for TV. Don't want to play any game on a tiny screen.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Crystal CLear 720p screen NETFLIX doesn't even wanna go on that thing cuz its only 720p

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@hardwenzen: Nothing wrong with 720p screen on switch, the 8 inch screen or whatever it is. The pixel density is higher than even 4k on a 65 inch. No point in going 1080p on mobile screens. It's a shame that smart phone makers don't give people the 720p screen option anymore, it would save a ton of battery life.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Casey-Wegner

@joshrmeyer said:

Why would anyone with a current Switch sell theirs for this new one? Maybe get $200 for current Switch, then drop another $150 for a slightly prettier screen? Nope. I really wish they'd release a switch that was only for TV. Don't want to play any game on a tiny screen.

The screen is by no means tiny when it's right in front of your face, especially with the bigger screen OLED.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@casey-wegner: I don't want to hold a screen right in front of my face either.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I honestly think this is one of the worst system reveals in a very long time. The hype for the Switch Pro created a lot of expectations which kind of magnified OLED's lack of new features combined with a price increase.

But, I actually think the system is cool because I think the Switch is cool and this is just an improved screen. Improved screen is very important for me actually because I basically solely used my Switch (when I had one) for tabletop and handheld gaming.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#24 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@hardwenzen said:

Crystal clear 540p gaming.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Casey-Wegner

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@hardwenzen: Nothing wrong with 720p screen on switch, the 8 inch screen or whatever it is. The pixel density is higher than even 4k on a 65 inch. No point in going 1080p on mobile screens. It's a shame that smart phone makers don't give people the 720p screen option anymore, it would save a ton of battery life.

Bingo.

What people who game on huge tv's don't realize is that on a smaller screen the eye perceives a higher PPI. Which is why Switch looks so damn good in portable mode despite technical shortcomings.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts
@Random_Matt said:

Two Switches, full price games, amiibo's and whatever else = More expensive than a gaming rig.

It's an easy sell for Nintendo when this is their fanbase

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@casey-wegner: yes, I heard that 300ppi is the absolute limit of where people can't tell a difference. You can hit that on a 5 inch smartphone with 720 screen. I'd take the 720 for the improved battery life and performance.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Random_Matt said:

It's an easy sell for Nintendo when this is their fanbase

Dude their fanbase is friggin nuts they don't buy AAA bangers they buy mario karts and wiiU ports and anything old

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

@Telekill said:

I do their online service and only game in handheld mode. I wouldnt have even bought the switch if it were a TV exclusive device.

Portability is better than tip top performance in my opinion. I start d gaming on an atari 2600 there is jo mandate for 60fps in my world.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

The PS Vita has an OLED screen and that came out in 2011! Nintendo clearly prolonging the Switch's lifespan.

My prediction is they'll release an 8 inch model, then a Switch Pro in 2026

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@TheEroica: yup. The switch could be better, sure. Just like all the other trash we game on. But it's very much what it needs to be to me, and they wouldn't have my sale if it was a traditional console. I don't need another AAA multiplat box in the house

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hardwenzen

@casey-wegner said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Bingo.

What people who game on huge tv's don't realize is that on a smaller screen the eye perceives a higher PPI. Which is why Switch looks so damn good in portable mode despite technical shortcomings.

Agreed😊😊😊That's why phones with smaller screens stayed at 720p. No point of increasing the resolution, anyways😊😊😊

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Casey-Wegner

@girlusocrazy said:

Seems expensive, and supposedly replacing the previous SKU? I'm good with my launch Switch at any rate, just bring some games ffs.

It won't replace the current Switch SKU until the current Switch gets a pricedrop, and then it will drop to the same price as the current Switch, which will be phased out when all remaining stock is sold off at a $50 discount. I don't foresee that being for a long time given the sales of the current record breaking sales of the Switch. Nintendo will squeeze all the juice out of it they can before replacing it.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

I play mostly handheld and my current Switch is getting alittle worn, so I've preordered one. Looking forward to it.

Glad to hear the OLED screen improves the experience.