Games That Were Ahead Of Its Time?

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Boogie_J
Member since 2007 • 1469 Posts

Shenmue was so ahead of its time. I played it the other day and it still holds up nicely. The amount of interactivty is still ahead of most games today which is mindblowing. For example: in your house you can open every drawer, take painting off your wall, use a telephone to dial numbers, etc. its still one of the most realistic virtual cities ever created and it came out more than 10 years ago! :o

such a shame it flopped

Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Dr_Snood
Member since 2008 • 2547 Posts
Nice poll..
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts
Yeah, Shenmue and Shenmue 2 were amazing, I still have 2 for my 360 from the Xbox. But the game has not aged so well in the graphics department. :( However the gameplay is still good.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#4 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30572 Posts

RIP Dreamcast :(

On topic, i think Halo CE was ahead of its time!

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

The MGS franchise certainly felt ahead of it's time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

This one.

Cpt_Meh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cpt_Meh
Member since 2005 • 1832 Posts
Body Harvest for the N64. It was probably the first sandbox esque game on a console.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts
Total Annihilation (1997)-massive scale for an RTS that no games even tried to surpass until the past few years, first RTS to take full advantage of the internet, with a new unit available for download every week, as well as full ladder support. Deus Ex (2000)-nothing has ever even tried to surpass this game. No more needs to be said.
bingbaocao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bingbaocao
Member since 2009 • 1852 Posts
was shenmue really that ahead of it's time? i mean Deus Ex was out in the same year
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

was shenmue really that ahead of it's time? i mean Deus Ex was out in the same yearbingbaocao
I'm pretty sure it's the tech behind it that was ahead of its time. Wasn't it the most expensive game ever made?

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
FF11....There will be a day when MMOs are common on console systems. Until then FF11 will stand up has the first one which has lasted and for years before another follows.
Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Boogie_J

was shenmue really that ahead of it's time? i mean Deus Ex was out in the same yearbingbaocao

On consoles there was nothing that came close to the level of interactivty shenmue had. hell, there still isnt anything quite like shenmue

ex; compare a sandbox game like gta4 to shenmue, and shenmue's enviorment is still much more interactive

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#13 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Montezuma's Return... The first 1st person platformer ever, made in 1997, over 10 years before the second one (Mirror's Edge). Too bad nobody's played it.

Also, anything made by Looking Glass and Origin.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

System Shock 1 (1994) was years ahead of its time, and still influences games to this day and here's a very good and professional read why:

http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/september03/25underrated/index24.shtml

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
OoT. Crysis for graphics as it's still the best looking game 2 years later.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
It's a repost of my post from other forum: Ultima Underworld: Stygian Abyss (March 27, 1992)* While Wolfenstein 3D, and Doom had no real 3-D environment, Ultima Underworld was trully 3-D, you could run, jump, fly, levitate, and even swim in water, you had a fully 3-D environment. Best of all was the mouse movement, made moving smooth and easy. Wolfenstein 3D, and Doom were really 2-1/2 D games (no ability to move in a up-down fashion), Ultima Undeworld had also much better (and eerier) graphics than what id had released at the time. Unlike earlier first-person RPGs like Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder, the player can move in every direction and the graphics are updated continually. The dungeon also is not made entirely of corridors and rooms arranged in a rectangular fashion but has a lot of variety: slopes, stairs, bridges and more. "Ultima Underworld" featured not only true 3D VGA graphics which were revolutionary for its time and even surpassed id's "Doom" in many ways but, yet more revolutionary, used them to render believable, realistic environments. Despite of the graphics' visible age, the actual "dungeon simulation" part still works perfectly fine, colouring is dark and sufficiently naturalistic and, most important, level design always goes hand in hand with technical aspects. As with its in-official successor "System Shock" (and probably to an even stronger degree), rooms and corridors always serve a distinct purpose - one notices a fishing rod next to a small pond, it is owned by a goblin who lives not too far off, when one enters a small alcove filled with some jewelry and heaps of rotten cheese one is attacked by a rat, most NPCs have their own rooms and/or sleeping places etc. etc. "Ultima Underworld"s graphics were thus not only technically noticeable, but also the how and why of their usage was way ahead of its time. It single-handedly and directly inspired The Elder Scrolls series that followed later (including Morrowind, Oblivion, and earlier: Arena and Daggerfall), and FPS/RPG hybrid games such as System Shock 1 (done by the same people) and 2 (done by part of the same people), Deus Ex, etc. The game was non-linear; The player character may carry light sources to extend the line of sight, with some, like lanterns, providing more light than others; An automap fills in according to what the player has seen above a certain brightness, with the additional feature of allowing the player to write notes on it; Some weapons possess different types of attacks depending on where the cursor is held; when held near the bottom of the screen, the attack might be a jab, while the middle produces a slash - something that The Elder Scrolls series copied directly. Intelligent AI: enemies sometimes try to escape when near death.Occasionally, the game's rudimentary stealth system can be used to avoid combat. The player may also cast spells, done by selecting an appropriate combination of "runestones". The conversations have multiple dialogue choices To aid orientation, some great set-pieces are scattered throughout the game, differently textured walls indicate different parts of the dungeons, banners are used to mark inhabited areas (if the inhabitants are friendly, at least) and a simple, but effective colour scheme is used throughout the game. With all its technical limitations, "Underworld" employs a gradual colour "shift" from black to red as the player approaches the games' central core. This is hinted at right from the beginning when the player looks through a window down into the inner chasm of this "Stygian Abyss" (in a separate screen) and notices a faint red glow at the bottom. This red glow will get more and more close to the player as he/she looks through similar windows on deeper levels, heightening his/her expectation, until from level 6 onwards more and more lava regions have to be tackled. In level 8, most everything has gone red. Such a stringent dramatic use of colouring is always welcome and far from being self-evident even in modern games. For a game from back then, it's just marvellous. And development of Ultima Underworld: Stygian Abyss led to its spiritual successor, System Shock that pushed the envelope in its respectable genre, FPS/RPG hybrid even more, retaining full 3D environment, adding physics, telling the whole story without interruption of gameplay via audio logs (exactly what was done in Dead Space 14 years later, magnificent influence of the game, isn't it?), prototype of WSAD-like controls (SZXC to be precise), ability to lean left and lean right (something which was used 5 years after in another game of these same authors: Thief: The Dark Project), customizable difficulty of puzzles, combat, gameplay, etc., RPG and puzzle elements in FPP shooter game, and so on, on and on, I could go on for like forever what this game meant to history of games. It influenced Half-Life, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, BioShock, Dead Space, etc. Ok, that's more or less it. It was a combination of my own thoughts and some found info. * Wolfenstein 3D was released on May 5, 1992
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Dreadnot. To this day,alternate reality gaming has had little attention outside of being a marketing ploy (iLoveBees). Majestic got some notice, but never really took off.

I still don't think people are ready for it.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts
I think the Dreamcast in general was ahead of its time. And I definitely agree with Shenmue.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
OoT. Crysis for graphics as it's still the best looking game 2 years later.Zero5000X
A game which is ahead of it's time will go unnoticed untill several years later. Shenmue and System Shock are examples of games that were ahead of it's time. Bioshock is a perfect example of how far System Shock truly was as the game was nothing more than a simple copy/paste from it's spiritual predeccesor and people still called it the best game ever made. OoT certainly is not, it's just the best game for it's time period.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

Half-Life 2, considering its still one of the best shooters you can find at the moment 5 years after it came out is just evidence that it way ahead of its time.

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

Shadow of the Collosus. I feel that it must have been made for the PS3 instead, it had many technnical limitations for such a huge and detailed world.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts
I think Devil May Cry was ahead of its time. If not ahead, it ushered in a sty|e of game to its genre.
TheHeroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheHeroism
Member since 2009 • 119 Posts
Halo. It's just so good I want to cry. So damn good.
TheHeroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheHeroism

Half-Life 2, considering its still one of the best shooters you can find at the moment 5 years after it came out is just evidence that it way ahead of its time.

DarkGamer007
gears of war obliterates half life in my opinion i played both
kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

TheHeroism

........ Right.

Half Life and Half Life 2 were both well ahead of their time. Its amazing that Half Life 2 saw 2 console releases and is still holding up strong from generation into the next. I can't wait to see where the series will go from here and what Half Life 3 will bring.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Deus Ex.

redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

TheHeroism

good thing my opinion isnt the same as yours :P anyway I think the game Trespasser was ahead of its time, may not of been all that good but I don't know of any other game with physics before Trespasser.
TheHeroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheHeroism

[QUOTE="TheHeroism"][QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

kejigoto

........ Right.

Half Life and Half Life 2 were both well ahead of their time. Its amazing that Half Life 2 saw 2 console releases and is still holding up strong from generation into the next. I can't wait to see where the series will go from here and what Half Life 3 will bring.

in my opniion, half life doesnt comeclose to gears its just a pretty good puzz
TheHeroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheHeroism

redbaron3

good thing my opinion isnt the same as yours :P anyway I think the game Trespasser was ahead of its time, may not of been all that good but I don't know of any other game with physics before Trespasser.

if i RTEMEMBER correctly sir tresspaser failed in scores thus csnt be revolutinary
Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dr_Snood
Member since 2008 • 2547 Posts

Crysis in terms of graphics I guess.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

Riddick, Butcher Bay was really ahead of its time. Also the Panzer Dragoon Saga was really phenomenal, I know thats going way back, but still an outstanding game that pushed the system!

Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts
That Ocarina game... eh.. forgot the name.
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
I'll name some recent ones... MGS4 Killzone 2 Crysis
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#34 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

[QUOTE="redbaron3"][QUOTE="TheHeroism"] gears of war obliterates half life in my opinion i played bothTheHeroism

if i RTEMEMBER correctly sir tresspaser failed in scores thus csnt be revolutinary

Wow. So only popular games can be "ahead of their time"? Lol. Well it's no wonder that you think so, since you like Gears and Halo more than Half-Life. :lol:

TheHeroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheHeroism

[QUOTE="TheHeroism"][QUOTE="redbaron3"] good thing my opinion isnt the same as yours :P anyway I think the game Trespasser was ahead of its time, may not of been all that good but I don't know of any other game with physics before Trespasser.HenriH-42

Wow. So only popular games can be "ahead of their time"? Lol. Well it's no wonder that you think so, since you like Gears and Halo more than Half-Life. :lol:

LOL i never said that you fail in a pretty miserable manner. treespasser failed in scores it scored low revolutoonary games score high lol how did u miss that
kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts
[QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

[QUOTE="TheHeroism"] if i RTEMEMBER correctly sir tresspaser failed in scores thus csnt be revolutinaryTheHeroism

LOL i never said that you fail in a pretty miserable manner. treespasser failed in scores it scored low revolutoonary games score high lol how did u miss that

Are you kidding me? Only revolutionary games can score high? Well if I remember correctly the Dreamcast was way ahead of its time and didn't do so hot now did it? Scores mean nothing more than the person who is reviewing the game putting their own opinion out there of it. Just like its your opinion that a dumb downed shooter is better than a game that not only redefined an entire genre, but everytime its expanded upon continues to set the bar for what to except from an FPS game. Anything can be ahead of its time, a score shouldn't be a factor in that at all. Something being ahead of its time is like a game that even to today's standards you can still pick up and play, and when comparing it to something in the same genre, it still stands up great (despite maybe graphics). Games like the Elder Scrolls series were well ahead of their time except for more recently I'd say with Oblivion. Also Half Life curb stomps the hell out of Gears of War any day.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
[QUOTE="kejigoto"]

[QUOTE="TheHeroism"] gears of war obliterates half life in my opinion i played bothTheHeroism

........ Right.

in my opniion, half life doesnt comeclose to gears its just a pretty good puzz

Gears is a little behind for its time. Ever play Killswitch?
TheHeroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheHeroism
LOL yeah. if a game SCORES BAD, it means it SUCKS. REVOLTIONAREY gaMES AREN'T supposed to suck LOL. revolitonary games score hig and are gimas that ppl think r good lol and gears pretty much owns the entire Half-Life series when it comes too entertankment and fun and gameplay, sorry.
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

Somebody make him stop. Please.

Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Boogie_J

dont feed the troll

get back on topic

Sully28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sully28
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts

redbaron3

It was a very cool game, but very buggy. The physics were great and its easily one of the best dinosaur games. Being attacked by raptors was very scary, nothing like hearing something, and turning around only for it to be to late to save yourself. Also best way of telling how much health you had left ever!

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

Quake 2.

Was the best fps multiplayer shooter for what was6 to7years.

redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts

[QUOTE="redbaron3"][QUOTE="TheHeroism"] gears of war obliterates half life in my opinion i played bothSully28

It was a very cool game, but very buggy. The physics were great and its easily one of the best dinosaur games. Being attacked by raptors was very scary, nothing like hearing something, and turning around only for it to be to late to save yourself. Also best way of telling how much health you had left ever!

yeah I re-downloaded the demo not to long ago, and was having fun killing raptors with whatever weapons i could find in the environment like smashing a raptor with a rock :P
Sully28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sully28
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts

[QUOTE="Sully28"]

[QUOTE="redbaron3"] good thing my opinion isnt the same as yours :P anyway I think the game Trespasser was ahead of its time, may not of been all that good but I don't know of any other game with physics before Trespasser.redbaron3

yeah I re-downloaded the demo not to long ago, and was having fun killing raptors with whatever weapons i could find in the environment like smashing a raptor with a rock :P

haha yeah the physics was basically the only good part about the game, even though it was very frustrating. Its a shame it was such a terrible game, it could have been much better if executed more properly.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
Deus Ex It's a game without pretenders, because even now it can compete with current gen games in the gameplay department. The gameplay was very enhanced for its time and even now it's deeper than most games that have been released in recent years. An honorable mention would be Half Life 2
Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Boogie_J

Deus Ex It's a game without pretenders, because even now it can compete with current gen games in the gameplay department. The gameplay was very enhanced for its time and even now it's deeper than most games that have been released in recent years. An honorable mention would be Half Life 2mo0ksi

i may have to check this game out

Cicatraz_ESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Cicatraz_ESP
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts

Games ahead of their time...... Halo CE, GoldenEye, Super Mario 64, Zelda OoT. Probably more, can't think right now.

byrofish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 byrofish
Member since 2006 • 263 Posts

System Shock 1 (1994) was years ahead of its time, and still influences games to this day and here's a very good and professional read why:

http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/september03/25underrated/index24.shtml

Salt_The_Fries

If only the controls had been ahead of their time. :P

Brilliant game though (better than 2 imo) and way ahead of it's time in every other aspect.

SHODAN = greatest video game villain.

tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts

Quake, HL, Goldeneye or the N64 in general, infact the NES and SNES were ahead of it times, most games on those consoles were awesome. Newer stuff would included MGS, Halo CE, Crysis or would we just say that that game was just ahead of the hardware rather than time.

Mostly though it was all about the SNES and N64. I remember when Ocarina of Time came out "what!! but its only 1999" or whenever it came out.

ShadowedSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ShadowedSight
Member since 2008 • 1902 Posts

Earthbound.

No one understood it at the time.