Games have become much better..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts

I'm primarily talking about games that were developed in this gen. The games nowdays offer better cinematic experience compared to games back then. Cutscenes are more prevalent and the games have become somewhat accessible to a wider audience. L.A. Noire is one of the best games that adapted motionsense technology which has well-done facial animation and I consider it one of the best games of all time. We no longer have boring RPG games with wall of text to read (Planescape Torment) instead we have RPG games like Mass Effect 2 which is more action-packed. We also have FPS games like Call of Duty which is much better than the boring and incomplete Half-Life 2 franchise and obviously COD has a better story and larger online community.Ultimately as technlogy progressed, do you think games have become better in terms of quality? I sure think so.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Sorry TC, I can't tell if you're serious. Anyway, games have improved, but this gen lacks originality. IMO anyway, last gen I didn't have as much money and didn't buy as many games so maybe not a fair comparison from me.
TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TecmoGirl
Member since 2007 • 3965 Posts

Obviously, yes.

But I feel there are fewer quality games this gen then there is in the previous gen overall.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

i really really really hope half of what's in the OP is a joke

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#5 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

Games have changed. Some things have improved, other things have gotten worse. I don't see, however, any way they've gotten better in that sense.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

Diablo 2 > 3

WarCraft 3 > StarCraft 2

Games aren't getting better...

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

Yes they have improved! I will NEVER get tired of fighting evil organisation nr 6453# who have stolen a nuclear warhead # 8574, only to find out that my commanding officer stabs me in the back.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

Yes they have improved! I will NEVER get tired of fighting evil organisation nr 6453# who have stolen a nuclear warhead # 8574, only to find out that my commanding officer stabs me in the back.

DoomZaW
You just talked about story. That's not the most important part of a game.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18257 Posts

There are great games today with the current tech just like there were great games back in the days with the current tech.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#10 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Ya...but, not by much. I don't notice much of a huge difference from Halo 2 to Halo Reach.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Some have, some haven't. LA Noire one of the best games ever? No, it's not even among the best adventure games this gen (all Ace Attorney games are better). ME2 better than Planescape? Yes, but they do thing too differently to be compared that directly. CoD better than HL2? That's true.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

I'm primarily talking about games that were developed in this gen. The games nowdays offer better cinematic experience compared to games back then. Cutscenes are more prevalent and the games have become somewhat accessible to a wider audience. L.A. Noire is one of the best games that adapted motionsense technology which has well-done facial animation and I consider it one of the best games of all time. We no longer have boring RPG games with wall of text to read (Planescape Torment) instead we have RPG games like Mass Effect 2 which is more action-packed. We also have FPS games like Call of Duty which is much better than the boring and incomplete Half-Life 2 franchise and obviously COD has a better story and larger online community.Ultimately as technlogy progressed, do you think games have become better in terms of quality? I sure think so.

NerubianWeaver

I think saying that cut scenes being more prevailant is the wrong approach to this subject. Just passively watching cut scenes doesn't do much for the gameplay experience. BUT, games that implement immersive cinematic interaction that always involves the player, like in Mass Effect, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake, Bioshock, among others, makes for a more rewarding and engaging experience where the evolution of technology and game design has benefited the industry.

I would also agree cinematic interaction also benefits RPGs to really pull the player into the world in a way that reading text can't.

But COD better than HalfLife 2 in story and single player gameplay??? No. No. No. Just NO!

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts
Games have improved, but are trying too hard to be cinematic. If I wanted my games to be like movies, I'd just watch movies and not play games. This generation has also been far too "safe" not a lot of risks, experimentation, or efforts that push gaming forward.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#14 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

graphics improved but the gameplay has not , im sorry i mark this as the worst gen , all people wanna do is brag about online and graphics what happened to wii and the fun gameplay -like zombies ate my neighbors- goldeneye007 or somthing like that , seriously

if they can mix all of that together then id agree but right now its looking more like a cash cow market then one that i remember

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

This generation spawned a lot of games trying to hard to be Call of Duty.

321orez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 321orez
Member since 2010 • 83 Posts

This gen is boring. I could call out probably 20+ games that are almost just like COD. I've played maybe 10-15 games this gen that I found unique, original, etc. out of over what....200?

This is why I bought a PS1

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

This gen is boring. I could call out probably 20+ games that are almost just like COD.

321orez

This is why I asked earlier here about going back to when first person shooters consisted of maze-like environments filled with monsters, a la Doom.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

This gen is boring. I could call out probably 20+ games that are almost just like COD. I've played maybe 10-15 games this gen that I found unique, original, etc. out of over what....200?

321orez
You could call out 20 games that were just like Mario or Street Fighter 2 on the NES/SNES. Great games always inspire copy cats, you don't have to play them.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
Tech wise they have as far as imagination, not so much.
321orez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 321orez
Member since 2010 • 83 Posts
[QUOTE="321orez"]

locopatho
You could call out 20 games that were just like Mario or Street Fighter 2 on the NES/SNES. Great games always inspire copy cats, you don't have to play them.

I have little knowledge about fighting games, but in general games were much more unique back then. For example, I googled "first person shooters in 2011" and what immediately came up was a list of 14 big name shooters out, or coming out, in 2011 that looked quite similar. If it makes money, it's going to be copied, that is inevitable, but at the same time, half of the big games that come out each year are just the same kind of shooter. Copy/Paste
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#21 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Games have changed. Some things have improved, other things have gotten worse. I don't see, however, any way they've gotten better in that sense.

calvinsora

This is pretty much how I feel.

DCSullyvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DCSullyvan
Member since 2011 • 320 Posts

I miss when RPG's were the only games with generic stories :(.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Games are a mixed bag, doing things better and worse than before.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

Graphics and gameplay has improved. Stories within games are about the same. Game complexity has gone down but, that is due to companies wanting to get a wider audience. So it will depend on what you like most. If the main thing you play games for is the graphics and gameplay then you will probably feel these games are the best yet. If you want more complexity then you will probably think this gen is the worst.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

They have better technology... But in terms of fun, only a few games come close to some of my favorites on previous consoles.

Xuix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Xuix
Member since 2003 • 233 Posts

Ah yes, the Tc finds Planescape boring because she/he can't bother to read. That's the problem with this generation: the entire lack of an attention space, the disconnect between game and movie is becoming blurred and that's becoming a problem. I don't pay 60 dollars to watch a movie, games should be interactive first, and cinematics should be near the bottom of importance.

Sales are not indictive of quality, and when the only thing you have avialable is the next generic military shooter or cover shooter, and your main audience isn't so well informed, of course they are gonna think that this is the best. It's denying the forebearers due to ignorance rather than experience. I preffered it when Pcs and consoles were a seperate species instead of trying to emulate each other. It's depressing how adhd ridden this generation is. A pure game is actually knocked for being consistant!(Alice) It's like it's a bad thing for a platformer to be a platformer, for an rpg to actually be an rpg. The only thing that's actually been pretty good is fighting games, and they've stayed pretty consistant in quality. (The new mortal kombat is probably the best in the series) Certain titles shine not due to gameplay but due to art direction(Bioshock), but just imagine if the gameplay matched the good art direction? If level design was actually decent instead of just a linear path.

I liked Mass effect 2. It had terrible level design though, and it's story is what made the game bareable. At least planescape had some diverging paths. THey are not comparable, because Mass effect 2 is not really an rpg.(Rather it's a shooter with a dialogue tree and some stats, which still just makes a shooter, only a little more freeform, Dialogue trees and stats have been used in adventure games before, and those games were still considered adventure titles)

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

Yeah, I agree with you TC.

'Complexity' and 'depth' and all those other butthurt, elitist, prick-type phrases are just excuses they give because they want to play CoD but can't because they aren't good enough at multiplayer games, and are too ignorant to appreciate modern visuals, which are amazing, and much more satisfying than gameplay, which is starting to seem naff, imo.

Just the other day, in fact, I was playing some X-COM, when I thought to myself "lol tactics" and turned that **** off, and went and put on some headphones and listened to the sounds of industrial machinery interlaced with the noise of hippopotami ****ing whilst watching one of those flashing gifs that cause epileptic seizures (I left my copy of Black Ops at a friend's house), and it was rad as hell, bro.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

TC has to be sarcastic...

That whole post is just full of sarcastic comments. lol

And yeah, I agree on some fronts, however, we have made some good leaps this gen, with the Stalker series, The Witcher series, Crysis(first one), Battlefield(Bad Company 2 and soon to be BF3), etc.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

not really.

Way too much focus on cinematic style gameplay and sometimes QTE which are boring.Games have become reliant on cinematics to be good sometimes :(

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#31 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Uhm No.

On the thread title though:
The OOT 'remake' made me feel otherwise. There are definitely improvements but developers are also meandering from the path. The games that raise the bar don't get the attention. The games where they limit our rights, freedom and choice are bestsellers.
Guild Wars 2 will probably raise the bar for MMO gameplay. I hope that it will be successful.

GnR-SLaSh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GnR-SLaSh
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

quite the sweeping statement..

dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts
Thats why halo is still more fun than halo reach? super mario 64 is more addictive than sm galaxy? counter strike has a ten year old community? i highly doubt anyone will be playing black ops 10 years from now.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#34 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Thats why halo is still more fun than halo reach? super mario 64 is more addictive than sm galaxy? counter strike has a ten year old community? i highly doubt anyone will be playing black ops 10 years from now. dvalo9

Not really.

Super Mario 64 is inferior to Galaxy in almost every way.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#35 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Diablo 2 > 3

trollop_scat

Damn, 3 is out? I have to keep on top of the news better...

TC's joking people. A little too obvious.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#36 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

[QUOTE="trollop_scat"]

Diablo 2 > 3

Rekunta

Damn, 3 is out? I have to keep on top of the news better...

TC's joking people. A little too obvious.

SW is like snowboarding without snowglasses... at some point you don't see what is serious and what's not.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d773aa56272
deactivated-57d773aa56272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-57d773aa56272
Member since 2006 • 2292 Posts

Games are so much better than they used to be in every way. You can order a modern game from the comfort of your own home. They look feel and play like a cinematic experience. A videogame character is so much more powerful than it used to feel. The music and sound effects are on par with the movies. The animations and crispness of the controls are excellent and I rarely run into glitches. More people work on a game these days than before. Games can tell a story now and be ancillary to a fictional universe.

The game pad is no longer just a rectangle it conforms to your hands. Things aren't arcane anymore... the story is good enough you want to find out what will happen next where as before if you died you just gave up. The character develops and you feel like you played a part in that from little things like being able to afford the suits in GTA IV. You feel achievement more in games with all of the stat tracking games do now. Now there are so many checkpoints that it's unusual to be stuck in the same part for very long.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

This gen has more or less been last gen with better graphics and less inspiration.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18257 Posts

I'm amazed to see so many peole saying that this gen lacks imagination :?

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

I would also agree cinematic interaction also benefits RPGs to really pull the player into the world in a way that reading text can't.

AdobeArtist

Ehhh...kind of.

The problem with "cinematic interaction" in CRPGs is that it stifles the player of potential.

Take Dragon Age II. Because every character just HAD to be voiced uniquely, the player's level of immersion suffered because the devs cut back on the amount of world-building content as a result.

Maybe I'm just traditional, but in a CRPG I'd actually prefer text and more options, to voices and less options.

JakeMeltzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JakeMeltzer
Member since 2011 • 243 Posts

I agree 100%. Games nowadays are becoming more accessible to people who never got into gaming in the past, which is a great thing. Also, gaming is getting close to film, which is currently my favorite form of entertainment. Hopefully one day I'll get chills down my spine or have my eyes pop with excitement... while playing a game. Currently I'm only emotionally & physically moved by film.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

I'm amazed to see so many peole saying that this gen lacks imagination :?

madsnakehhh

Why? It really does.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Cinematically, yes. Everywhere else, not so much.
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#44 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

I'm sorry but, I honestly can't tell if TC is serious. I just can't. :?