games are long enough. quit complaining

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#101 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"] I wouldn't want to rush a game I just spent £40-50 on like a cheap hooker in a back alley. I usually start on above normal difficulty anyway.

tomarlyn

You don't even have to rush on many games.

Depends on your definition of rushing. If someone finishes a game like Uncharted in one day I'd laugh and feel sorry for them.

And why is that?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23998 Posts

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

There are several factors why I see 6-8 hours as a negative.

• A movie is about 2 hours, and the cinema costs like 15 dollars. But here is the thing, 2 hours in the movies would give me more enjoyment and a more enjoyable experience than a lot of these games.

Cazador64

Then how is length an issue for you? The obvious solution for your problem would be to make even shorter, better games, not longer ones. The entire reason why some action-oriented games 'are becoming shorter' is because of all the bells and whistles that has to come along with them, their cinematic nature influenced in no small part by -- wait for it -- cinema!

Basicly what I am saying is that going to the cinema gives me more bang for my buck than a lot of these modern games.

But back when games were longer, video games gave me more bang for my buck. Especially as I consider the whole cinematic thing to be counterproductive to what games are supposed to be. I had more fun playing games than watching movies before, but gaming this gen became a lot less fun because gaming quality feel too deep into the abyss.

Still, no medium gives me the bang of my buck as a good book does.

With that said, I wouldnt mind shorter games providing these games have gain lot more replay value, and are more fun to play through each time. Tacked on gimmicks like treasure and achievements do nothing. Look at the old sonic games, those games were shorter than 2 hours, yet I spent over 80 hours on those. Simply because of how mastercrafted those games were (I was a Sega fanboy then).

The problem here is not the lenght of the games, the problem here is the short length COMBINED with the low replay value.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#103 deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
Member since 2008 • 2058 Posts

im sick of this attitude that every game needs to have a "fallout" length and the condescending attitude people have towards shorter action and adventure games.

even though a game may only have a 6 -8 hour campaign, that doesnt mean you will only play it for that long. for example, with the uncharted games, I always beat them once on normal, hard, and crushing (with uncharted 1 I went straight to hard). I also go through again to sweep up treasures and trophies. so overall that is around 20-25 hours. that is more than long enough for me to be satsified with my 60$ purchase.

thats not even taking into consideration multiplayer and co-op within these types of games and how they can extend replay value indefinitely depending on how much you enjoy it. so you could be looking at 50+ hours with these games.

regardless, lets say a game is only 6-10 hours long with no MP or co-op. will I begrudge a game for that or give it a weaker score? not if its a great 6-7 hours. i personally buy a lot of games. so, I dont need every single one of them to be a 30 hour investment of my time and i dont need a single game to last me a month.

arbitor365
no no no no and no! games should be more than 12 hours. trophies an achievements are a mean to plolonge the games BUT only because they are short and we want to justify our money. well that is the way i see it at least. i bought GoW3 for 40 euros with the price drop and STILL it did not justify the money even thought it was awesome.
exiledsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 exiledsnake
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts
If the game is good I'd like to play it forever, if its bad, I can definitely feel that its dragging on. So my solution is that bad games should be short and good games should be long. Everybody wins! :D