Game That Surprised You Most This Year...

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22401 Posts

So which game this year has genuinely impressed you when you didn't expect it too? A game that wasn't necessarily on your most wanted list but really surprised you?

Mine would have to be Far Cry 2. I wasn't really looking forward to it but it's a great game.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#2 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

PC = Kings Bounty

360 = Too Human

MultiPlat = Farcry2

DS = Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2

PS3 = Resistance 2

krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts
Dead Space
Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
Little Big Planet. I didn't care about it until right before it's release, and it exceeded my expectations
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

Professor Layton. I didn't even hear about it until the day it came out.

Edit: I am really surprised Dead Space wasn't getting more attention than it did prior to release. The first time I saw it I knew that it had alot of potential.

gbpman630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 gbpman630
Member since 2003 • 2795 Posts
Dead Space kinda came out of nowhere and turned out to be an excellent game.
rolltide101x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rolltide101x
Member since 2007 • 580 Posts

Fracture good

fallout 3 bad it wasnt bad but it wasnt near as good as it should have been

Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Jodan77
Member since 2005 • 2567 Posts

Spore...But I can't say I was pleasantly surprised since it was much worse than my expectations.

I'd have to say Little Big Planet as well. As a owner of the PS3, it wasn't until I got the beta that it became a must own game.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Mirror's Edge. When I saw the debut trailer for it, I thought it was an interesting concept, not something spectacular mind you. Then I get to finally download the demo after waiting a week (silver account) and am completely blown right out of the water. I get the game on the 12th of November, finish it in one 6-hour sitting that night and in so little time, it blows everything else I've played this year so far out of the water to grab my GOTY it just made my head spin. I played an absolute ****load of amazing games this year... and Mirror's Edge singlehandedly annihilated them all.

Quite the surprise indeed... I was just expecting another mediocre release from EA.
Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bazooka_4ME
Member since 2008 • 2540 Posts
Metal Gear Solid 4 - Act 4 when "The Best is Yet to Come" started playing. ...Trully epic!
aflakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 aflakian
Member since 2008 • 1557 Posts
Probably Dead Space and Mirror's Edge.
Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts

I think Dead Space, no doubt. Before the game was released, it had some hype, but I think even the people who did hype the game, weren't too sure of how good it would really be.
I was one of the people who loved the Lullaby trailer, but didn't think much if it would even be good, because I really didn't think it would be all that good.

Well it finally came out, and I gave the game a try, and was completely surprised of just how good the game really is. It's definitely one of my favorite games now, and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that Dead Space pleasantly took by surprise.

Avatar image for AtomicBaconBits
AtomicBaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 AtomicBaconBits
Member since 2006 • 8855 Posts
Dead Space.It seemed like the developers would take the great idea they had,and not really execute it well enough.Luckily,I was wrong! One of the best games I've played in a long time.
IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts
Dead Space. Expected a piece of junk. Pleasantly surprised afterally.
LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
not to overlay my post in the "Game that disappointed you the most" Thread buy LBP flaming uncontrolled, crazy moderatoion that even moderates maps based on the ps3 case itself.....crazy. second would ummmm core i7 disappointing on the pc hardware side of things.....what impressed me was how smooth, fluid stable and fun fables 2 combat was! Oh at the start of the year far cry going multi was crazy meaning it wasn't going to be as great as orginally thought... too human being so bad but yet so popular and sold so well. And now for my biggest surprise DIABLO 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
Oh yeah easily Diablo 3... i mean i knew it was coming but it was still awesome to be confirmed so soon!
Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts
Prince of Persia took a great new direction IMO.
Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
dead space, man that was a great unexpected ride. It's on my top 5 games of the year
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

Unknown surprise - Dead Space. I wasn't expecting it to be so good.

And MGS4, but it wasn't a surprise :P

rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts
Oh yeah easily Diablo 3... i mean i knew it was coming but it was still awesome to be confirmed so soon!LibertySaint
That was pretty big for me also. I did not see it coming but was very glad it did. Also man do I like Blizzard for being the type of developer not worried about being graphics king but worry more about gameplay and atmosphere.
Blommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blommen
Member since 2003 • 1337 Posts
Mirror's Edge. When I saw the debut trailer for it, I thought it was an interesting concept, not something spectacular mind you. Then I get to finally download the demo after waiting a week (silver account) and am completely blown right out of the water. I get the game on the 12th of November, finish it in one 6-hour sitting that night and in so little time, it blows everything else I've played this year so far out of the water to grab my GOTY it just made my head spin. I played an absolute ****load of amazing games this year... and Mirror's Edge singlehandedly annihilated them all.

Quite the surprise indeed... I was just expecting another mediocre release from EA.foxhound_fox
I very much disagree with you but then again I had high expectations where you had close to none. I'll have to say "Sins of a Solar Empire" and "Valkyria Chronicles". These games just came out of nowhere and blew me away!
Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts
Kings Bounty, World of Goo, Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, Sins of a Solar Empire. Came out of the Blue as Very Good Titles.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Good Surprises: Left 4 Dead. Its so good, and so much more fun than I ever thought it would be. Crysis Warhead Cant believe how much of a design improvement it is - every flaw of the first was eradicated. Little Big Planet Much more fun than I thought it would be. Very entertaining Sins of a Solar Empire Much more addictive than I expected.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Unexpected positive surprises :- Socom,Patapon, Ecochrome, Fifa'09, Dead Rising, Halo3, Buzz, Secret agent Clank, Army of Two

Expected Positive surprises :- Geow2, Resistance2, MGSIV, LBP, GOW: COO, FF:CC

Negative Surprises :- GTAIV & The Club

skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skingus
Member since 2006 • 2370 Posts
LBP would be number one... I thought it would be a flash in the pan, but that game just keeps me smiling. Othe great titles would be De Blob, and World of Goo... Both fresh new experiences... and as a games i'm always looking for that. ( funny how the least powerfull system offered 2 of the best examples of physics in a game). Also, Mass Effect was a pleasant surprise.... I know it was from last year, but I've never been a fan of RPG's, and I never got around to playing it until a couple months ago. Let's just say, I will be playing more rpg's.
Bradley727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bradley727
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Valkyria chronicles came out of nowhere and is IMO the best JRPG of this gen
pseudocaesar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pseudocaesar
Member since 2008 • 494 Posts
Definitely Dead Space.
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#28 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts
Braid: A lot better than I expected.
Bazfrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bazfrag
Member since 2004 • 2217 Posts

Spore.

How could a sandbox game where you evolve you race turn into an advert for intelligent design? Not only that but the only stage worth playing was the space stage. The others being some of the most dumbed down pointless **** i have ever played. Come to think of it, i want my money back!!!

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles, I don't think I even knew this game existed 6 months ago. Kinda came out of nowhere.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

Good ones:

Sins of a Solar Empire: I am amazed on how it manages to be equally amazing in sound, graphics (massive scope), depth, and gameplay. The game carries no glaring flaw whatsoever. This game just came out of nowhere

Crysis Warhead: Crytek definitely learned from their mistakes. Campaign was much more fun and consistent than the original and it definitely felt more engaging.

Left 4 Dead: I had my doubts when I knew Turtle Rock Studios was developing it. Also from the videos it did seem to get old quickly. But I was wrong. Versus mode is just awesome.

Bad:

STALKER Clear Sky: Poor dialouge, poor voice acting, broken side-quests, terrible endgame + ending. GSC really let me down.

mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
Left 4 Dead. It looked like a HL2 mod to me, I was very surprised about how well designed, polished and fun it was in the end.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#33 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30573 Posts

1 - GTA4

2 - Gears2

3 - Fallout 3

-CUBE-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -CUBE-
Member since 2006 • 708 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles, prince of persia, Mirror's edge (I know it was going to be a good game, but I didn't expect it to be this solid)
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
Dead Space
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
Dead Space. I wasn't even into it at first until my friend got me to play it. Definitely gonna be on my Christmas list.
Mlauthemighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Mlauthemighty
Member since 2008 • 420 Posts
Dead Space. I was expecting it to be good but I was'nt it expecting it to be practicaly the best all year. One of the few games I've been able to complete twice in a row without feeling dead inside.
Dynafrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dynafrom
Member since 2003 • 1027 Posts
Dead space and LBP. I had no idea either were so damn good.
cabjnico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 cabjnico
Member since 2003 • 748 Posts
GTAIV why? because it finally has good characters, with personality. the first gta that makes me laugh when i watch the cutscenes first good story and of course it expands the sandbox elements 3 different services from hookers
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

Dunno really. I generally buy games after the reviews so no game has beaten my expectations.

Gears 2 has been great though...

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
Endless Ocean. Its one of the best games I've ever played.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
[QUOTE="Bazooka_4ME"]Metal Gear Solid 4 - Act 4 when "The Best is Yet to Come" started playing. ...Trully epic!

MGS4 did surprise me. I couldnt have possibly imagined MGS4 being as good as it was :D
null_is_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 null_is_zero
Member since 2008 • 614 Posts
Dead Space
tok1879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tok1879
Member since 2005 • 1537 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Mirror's Edge. When I saw the debut trailer for it, I thought it was an interesting concept, not something spectacular mind you. Then I get to finally download the demo after waiting a week (silver account) and am completely blown right out of the water. I get the game on the 12th of November, finish it in one 6-hour sitting that night and in so little time, it blows everything else I've played this year so far out of the water to grab my GOTY it just made my head spin. I played an absolute ****load of amazing games this year... and Mirror's Edge singlehandedly annihilated them all.

Quite the surprise indeed... I was just expecting another mediocre release from EA.Blommen
I very much disagree with you but then again I had high expectations where you had close to none. I'll have to say "Sins of a Solar Empire" and "Valkyria Chronicles". These games just came out of nowhere and blew me away!

Wait, what? You disagree with him enjoying the game?
C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts
Too Human. dang, i have to finish that game.
DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts
Right now it is probably The World Ends With You because I wasn't really expecting much when SquareEnix announce the new title. After seeing review and preview I decided to give it a chance and make the purchase to see what it is all about. After playing it, I was surprise on how addicting the gameplay is, and how beautiful it look especially for an handheld game.
mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

Fable2- Probably one the few Rpg games that I fully got into. There is alot of details that I just love. Story and co-op could use a redo but other than that its Primetime.

De Blob, reminds me of when games on old nintendo systems and how they were actually unique and...fun. Dont worry though, Im giving Wii more play than I used to.

Mgs4- I knew I would be playing it alot but seriously..I need help getting off it. For a while I was off because of online glitchers but thats gone now ^.^

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
How BORING GTA4 got :(
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
has to be dead space , i bought this game as an afterthought, i havn't played gears 2 since i got this ( i only got this last week) , it's resident evil 4 in space and it even has the same clear game feature as resi evil and the zero g enviroments are isane, at first i was a bit dudious about the dimemberment system but it works really well, no framerate issues, georgeous graphics and an atmosphere to die for, and no annoying HUD, dead space is a gem of a game
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
good : Fallout 3 - I expected a crap like oblivion but surprisingly it turned to be pretty good game bad : Mass Effect - I thought bioware cannot make any thing worse than Jade Empire (not that it was a bad game) , but when i played it i found it disappointing on all fronts