Game resolutions

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

I cannot believe all of the arguing over what these games look like! Last gen there were hardly any true 1080p games if any and I'd bet that there were less than 50% of titles that actually ran at 720p and 60 fps and now 900p isn't good enough?? Personally I think that the games we have seen so far...Infamous, Ryse, Titanfall, Forza 5, KZSF and BF4 are all very impressive looking as far as console games go! My suggestion to all of you is to go build some $3000 PC if all you want to do is sit and stare at grass, rocks and water. Personally, I play games, I don't stop and pause to look at textures!!

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Indeed, 2 of the most visually striking games so far this gen are Killer Instinct and Child of Light, both run in 720p.

Child of light launches in a couple weeks but we've seen what it looks like.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Last genthere were hardly any true 1080p games if any and I'd bet that there were less than 50% of titles that actually ran at 720p and 60 fps and now 900p isn't good enough??

Exactly, last gen. There's nothing wrong with expecting a large leap in power/resolution, especially with the unusual length of gen 7. I think the phrase "reverse snobbery" applies here.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45293 Posts

@Floppy_Jim said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Last genthere were hardly any true 1080p games if any and I'd bet that there were less than 50% of titles that actually ran at 720p and 60 fps and now 900p isn't good enough??

Exactly, last gen. There's nothing wrong with expecting a large leap in power/resolution, especially with the unusual length of gen 7. I think the phrase "reverse snobbery" applies here.

own3d

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Cool blog

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

but but it doesn't have TEH FOLIAGE!

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

My independence seems to vanish in the haze.

Graphics are nice but in SW they are a key component for "winning". Gameplay? SW never heard of it.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

I cannot believe all of the arguing over what these games look like! Last gen there were hardly any true 1080p games if any and I'd bet that there were less than 50% of titles that actually ran at 720p and 60 fps and now 900p isn't good enough?? Personally I think that the games we have seen so far...Infamous, Ryse, Titanfall, Forza 5, KZSF and BF4 are all very impressive looking as far as console games go! My suggestion to all of you is to go build some $3000 PC if all you want to do is sit and stare at grass, rocks and water. Personally, I play games, I don't stop and pause to look at textures!!

My $700 pc can max all but a handful of games. Also, I agree with you. The arguing is stupid.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

My $700 pc can max all but a handful of games. Also, I agree with you. The arguing is stupid.

Why do PC people ignore the fact that you need to pay for a monitor and peripherals? There's no way a complete package like that is only $700.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#10 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Resolutions dictate whether games are worth playing or not.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Why do PC people ignore the fact that you need to pay for a monitor and peripherals? There's no way a complete package like that is only $700.

Do you take the TV into account for consoles? But the peripherals....yeah they should be added in. Nonetheless, I find this PC vs console arguing beyond stupid. For many reasons.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidGame_basic

@LJS9502_basic said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Do you take the TV into account for consoles? But the peripherals....yeah they should be added in. Nonetheless, I find this PC vs console arguing beyond stupid. For many reasons.

A good gaming monitor will cost you extra $$$ I'm assuming if you're going to invest in a gaming PC you're going to want a pretty good monitor.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

A good gaming monitor will cost you extra $$$ I'm assuming if you're going to invest in a gaming PC you're going to want a pretty good monitor.

Does not matter.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jake44

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

I ignore it because my pc is hooked up to my 47 inch tv. Mouse, keyboard, and operating system is included in that price. Not my fault you don't shop around. Got a 7970 for $199 on Newegg during the summer....it also came with 4 free games.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@LJS9502_basic said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Does not matter.

Maybe not to you, but the difference between a good gaming monitor and a regular monitor or even a regular HDTV is pretty big.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#16 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

"My suggestion to all of you is to go build some $3000 PC if all you want to do is sit and stare at grass, rocks and water".

Can't take this thread seriously anymore .

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jake44

@Cloud_imperium said:

"My suggestion to all of you is to go build some $3000 PC if all you want to do is sit and stare at grass, rocks and water".

Can't take this thread seriously anymore .

It's pretty hard.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: If we're being completely honest, I would imagine the majority of PC gamer's spent around $400-$500 for their PC. I believe people who spend 1k+ are the minority. As far as monitors go, most people already have one or own a hdtv. It's not as expensive as you think.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS: I agree. I honestly don't care about graphics as much as others here. Just because a game has a high resolution doesn't mean I'm going to have fun playing it. L4D 1 was the most fun I ever had playing a game and my last computer was so weak I had to turn down the resolution. It's not the end all be all.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I love my monitor compared to my HDTV. 120Hz goodness :D

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@intotheminx said:

@SolidGame_basic: If we're being completely honest, I would imagine the majority of PC gamer's spent around $400-$500 for their PC. I believe people who spend 1k+ are the minority. As far as monitors go, most people already have one or own a hdtv. It's not as expensive as you think.

if you're spending $500 and just using a regular monitor or TV you're basically not getting much of a difference from consoles this gen

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Cows need to grasp on to something, so they blew up this resolution issue.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Anything less than 3x4K monitors in eyefinity(11,520 x 2,160) hurts my eyes.

All games should run at that res native.

Avatar image for Silent-Assasin7
Silent-Assasin7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Silent-Assasin7
Member since 2006 • 1496 Posts

It just depends on Sony's priorities for the gen. PS2 less powerful than Xbox, has no/crap online, and only two controller ports? Meh, hardware doesn't matter, it's all about teh games! PS3 more powerful than Xbox 360 on paper, Sony boasting huge performance and 120 fps? It's all about TEH POWAH! And Blu-Ray. PS3 releases, Cell sucks, and 360 becomes lead platform for multiplats? K nvm, power doesn't matter, and neither do games tbh since the PS3 has no games (yet), it's all about Blu-Ray/multi-media this time. PS4 comes out, is a bare-bones gaming console with more power than XBO, while XBO has a unique UI and is more focused on social media? K, this time it's all about graphics, resolution, and (hypothetical) games, multi-media stuff is out, gamerz want dedicated gaming device!!

Etc. Cows gonna cow.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

Resolution isn't that important. Console fanboys just want to be better than one another so when one version of a game is slightly higher res on one system, everyone looses their shit

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Resolution no doubt makes a huge difference. Last gen games still look great, though. It's not like 720p is even remotely unplayable.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

for $3000 you could build 3 awesome computers. Seriously I don't get why people keep throwing these giant numbers out for gaming rigs. $3000 is the top 0.005% of builds. At least have the decency to make sense when you talk. You're posting things on a public site, you might as well try to act like you have a bit of intelligence/experience.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Last gen was last gen.

This is NEXT GEN. Every game should be 1080P, 60fps.

And I did build quite an expensive PC, because the consoles aren't really cutting it for me this time around. (Though I do own a WiiU and soon a PS4 for exclusives / non PC multiplats.) And holy fucking shit was it worth it. AC4 running on the highest settings is probably the prettiest game I've ever seen :)

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

This thread again...

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts
@Silent-Assasin7 said:

It just depends on Sony's priorities for the gen. PS2 less powerful than Xbox, has no/crap online, and only two controller ports? Meh, hardware doesn't matter, it's all about teh games! PS3 more powerful than Xbox 360 on paper, Sony boasting huge performance and 120 fps? It's all about TEH POWAH! And Blu-Ray. PS3 releases, Cell sucks, and 360 becomes lead platform for multiplats? K nvm, power doesn't matter, and neither do games tbh since the PS3 has no games (yet), it's all about Blu-Ray/multi-media this time. PS4 comes out, is a bare-bones gaming console with more power than XBO, while XBO has a unique UI and is more focused on social media? K, this time it's all about graphics, resolution, and (hypothetical) games, multi-media stuff is out, gamerz want dedicated gaming device!!

Etc. Cows gonna cow.

But the PS3 does have games, some of the best on any platform and as it turns out.It was more powerful in the end and did indeed have a Bluray drive, also the PS3 didn't have massive failure rates but that's a different story and one of the prime reasons I didn't touch the Xbox with a 10 foot barge pole. Also the PS2 came out way before the Xbox so it already had an established user base that was not willing to jump to a different console every time someone came out with a slightly more powerful one, if people did there would be a lot more console makers out there.

Gamers only care about the games and what the console lets developers do, also the cost does play a part in what people buy. The less powerful a console is the less they are able to push onto it, well at least exclusive wise in game play mechanics and level design. Better resolution/frame rate is nice for multiplats though, why would you play a game at a lower resolution/frame rate if you don't have to?

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#31  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Going by that logic we would still be playing games at 320x224, because you know, megadrive games looked great in 1990. Like it or not, 1080p is the standard this gen, just like 720p was last gen. I accept the fact that some games will run at lower resolutions, just like some games last gen ran at sub720, but those should be the exception, not the rule.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@intotheminx said:

if you're spending $500 and just using a regular monitor or TV you're basically not getting much of a difference from consoles this gen

Except for mods, and graphics options, and a ton more exclusives, and the possibility of upgrading your GPU in 2 years to one that will crap all over a PS4....

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Or we can NOT damage control Xbone's shortcomings by patting them on the back and going "it's ok, we didn't really expect you to be able to reach such a reasonable standard in this day and age for your price".

It doesn't matter if the games still look good or not, it's fucking pathetic the damn system can barely get anything to run at 1080p and it's even sadder that it's the more expensive of the 2 systems that released in the fall.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS: I can't help it if me and others don't like how the new consoles can't put out all their games in 1080p. It's only been the standard resolution of screens since the ps3 and xbox 360 were launched, so there is literally no excuse why they can't. 4k is becoming affordable and viable to own in the next two years and these tiny little boxes can't even put out the standard from 8 years ago. These new consoles are essentially APU tablets and small laptop's running anywhere from 720-1080p which in this day and age is downright pathetic.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Does not matter.

Maybe not to you, but the difference between a good gaming monitor and a regular monitor or even a regular HDTV is pretty big.

i don't know man. a console gamer could choose a premium display device for themselves. a pc gamer could choose a budget monitor. this discussion could be endless.

the display is independent of the pc or console, i agree it's a moot issue.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@CrownKingArthur said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Does not matter.

i don't know man. a console gamer could choose a premium display device for themselves. a pc gamer could choose a budget monitor. this discussion could be endless.

the display is independent of the pc or console, i agree it's a moot issue.

It's independent? You do realize there are monitors out there that have resolution above 1080p? Again, it depends on the experience you want to have.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CrownKingArthur

@SolidGame_basic:

its independent - yes

monitors exist above 1080p - yes

depends on the experience you want to have - yes

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SolidGame_basic

@CrownKingArthur said:

@SolidGame_basic:

its independent - yes

So someone who owns a PC for $500 plus budget monitor vs someone who owns a $1500 PC with high end gaming monitor. Same experience?

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CrownKingArthur

@SolidGame_basic said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

@SolidGame_basic:

its independent - yes

So someone who owns a PC for $500 plus budget monitor vs someone who owns a $1500 PC with high end gaming monitor. Same experience?

what exactly is your point?

the answer is no, because the dollar spending in each case is totally different, and these extra dollars are yielding better equipment. if both those scenarios provided the same experience, then one would be about 3x better value.

i have played xbox 360 on computer monitors, projectors, and on televisions

i have played pc on computer monitors, projectors and on televisions

the device with (for example) hdmi output (PC, Console) plugs into a compatible display device. this display device only needs to have hdmi input and you can choose for yourself what it is.

in my application, consoles and pc plug into the same tv.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61513 Posts

I think it's reasonable to expect a leap. Especially to 1080p. I was playing at 1080p and 1920x1200 5-6 years ago.

There are some impressive looking games so far, and there's a lot to be happy about. However, given the timeframe of last-gen... It's kinda meh.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

PS3 and 360 had to target resolutions that were 4x higher then what PS2 and Xbox had to deal with at the time, this time around PS4 and Xbone only have to deal with ~2x the resolution jump.

So it's not a huge ask.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

ofcourse you wont stare at walls TC obviously you got the weakest console

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

yet you people buy consoles every gen for graphics upgrades. If there was no upgrade, you'd keep the old one

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

So does paying for a TV also apply to the console overall cost?

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#45 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

I think it's reasonable to expect a leap. Especially to 1080p. I was playing at 1080p and 1920x1200 5-6 years ago.

There are some impressive looking games so far, and there's a lot to be happy about. However, given the timeframe of last-gen... It's kinda meh.

My thoughts exactly.

Last gen went on too long. I feel like this "next-gen" is just stepping into territory that PC has been at since '09, or even earlier.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61513 Posts

@gamecubepad said:

My thoughts exactly.

Last gen went on too long. I feel like this "next-gen" is just stepping into territory that PC has been at since '09, or even earlier.

It really is. I was rocking a 1920x1200 monitor when the PS3 released or pretty close. I used it for my consoles and PC quite comfortably.

It seems a shame that i'd still barely be utilizing my 1080p TV, which is about 3 years old.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Neither is a console....

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#48 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I'm sick of all the resolution nonsense. Every time I log onto SW, I see like three threads at least about the resolution of a new game. It's incredibly disappointing that this board has become "pretty wars." Granted, it was still pretty stupid when every thread wasn't about resolution, but at least there was some variety.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#49 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

@PAL360:

Hey I take offense to that. Why, the other day I was playing Sonic 2 & 3 on my atgames Genesis handheld and it looked and played fantastic. The speed was palpable.

@lundy86_4:

SW will probably never get over res wars. I think it's less of an actual visual or gameplay impact issue, and more of a race to the bottom concerning best bang for your buck. PC wins there, too.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

So you are all basically saying that this gen is already as good as it is going to get right? I mean I know the 360 and PS3 were all maxed out after 5 months? I mean Gears of War and Uncharted were no where near the graphical showcases that PDZ and Warhawk were right? Anyone that bases any kind of judgement on either of these two consoles capabilities in terms of graphical prowess at this point is a complete moron and a total fanboy!