Game Informer's Top 100 RPGs (Oh, wow...)

• 139 results
Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Destiny being in the list of best rpg is just stupid, they might as well call COD as an rpg now.

That aside, I don't get why people laugh at someone's personal opinion/taste ?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#52 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19587 Posts

@locopatho said:

@ConanTheStoner: Yeah agree with all that. It's all silly anyway.

In my mind, the only games that are "Role Playing" are the ones that allow me choice with the story, nothing else. Stuff like the NES final fantasy games are just tactical combat games.

By that criteria, visual novels and adventure games would be RPGs.

And the NES FF games aren't tactical, since the combat isn't positional.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#53 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Persona 3, 4 and 5 is in so it's not too bad. Can't wrap my mind around Pokémon RB being ahead of GS though.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

Hard to argue a list which contains so many great/epic games and try to sort them from 1 to 100.

I don't agree with Skyrim, but I am not a big fan of Bethesda RPG:s though.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@Jag85 said:

Yep to the first part. If I can choose my own way through the story, that's playing a role to me.

No to the second. So what? Who says tactics has to have movement? Choosing what orders to pick, what spells, what armour, what weapons, what classes, that's all tactics.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23943 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@locopatho said:

@ConanTheStoner: Yeah agree with all that. It's all silly anyway.

In my mind, the only games that are "Role Playing" are the ones that allow me choice with the story, nothing else. Stuff like the NES final fantasy games are just tactical combat games.

Indeed.

Even worse by that kind of logic is that Choices and Consequences began with Adventure games long before they were employed by RPGs.

And the Adventure subgenre: visual novels vastly outclass these games as well. Often featuring an absurd ammount of endings. That dwarf the plot reactivity most other games have.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#57 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

HOW IS FINAL FANTASY X BETTER THEN PERSONA 3? HOW IS MASS EFFECT 3 BETTER THEN PERSONA 3!?

Also where's Final Fantasy XIV??

Some quality games listed here, but seriously.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Maroxad

@locopatho said:
@Jag85 said:

Yep to the first part. If I can choose my own way through the story, that's playing a role to me.

No to the second. So what? Who says tactics has to have movement? Choosing what orders to pick, what spells, what armour, what weapons, what classes, that's all tactics.

That is not tactical in the slightest.

Armor is almost always as basic as picking whatever has the highest defense stat.

Combat can be boiled down to use best attack, heal when low on HP. In most RPGs, you dont plan, as much as you react to your current situation.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Wow, I'm no rpg fan but dear god that's a horrible list. Might as well toss the latest CoD game on there and call it a day.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@Fairmonkey: good for you

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

I dont really get the hype with FF6. If its really the best in the series and all, people would scream a remake and its not. FF7 still is the best in the series. Though personally, i still havent played a good RPG as xenogears.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@locopatho said:
@Jag85 said:

Armor is almost always as basic as picking whatever has the highest defense stat.

Combat can be boiled down to use best attack, heal when low on HP. In most RPGs, you dont plan, as much as you react to your current situation.

You'll laugh, but the reason I stopped playing FFXIV: A realm reborn, was due to a patch that reduced gear choices to pretty much "whatever is the highest item level is always best". So bland. Developers like to call this crap "streamlined".

At least before this patch, a tank could choose str based for more damage, or vit based for more health. Not really a huge choice at all, but at least it's a choice.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Kingdom Hearts II over Persona 4, Xenoblade Chronicles and System Shock 2 is a crime against humanity,

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#64  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@xdude85:

Persona 5 beats Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Persona 4, Persona 3, Kingdom Hearts 2, Final Fantasy X

Mass Effect 2 beats Witcher 3

Final Fantasy VII beats Persona 5

And some how Elder Scrolls Skyrim shits over ALL of them? I love Skyrim but **** you and your list, Game Informer.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#65 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

@xdude85 said:

The one thing that irked me the most was the fact they actually had the audacity to put Fallout 3 ahead of New Vegas.

Which, to be honest, who in the press wouldn't?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Diablo III should be lower than Path of Exile.... Its a better game and its free.

Also TECHNICALLY isn't the best RPG the highest SCORING RPG?... i.e. Couldn't they have just gone to the review section and set it to RPG games in score order?!... :P

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

Well at least Chrono Trigger is in its rightful spot.

The rest though...

And seriously, destiny? Ha.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Skyrim as number 1? Shittiest list ever confirmed.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I literally stopped after "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim". It's not even the best TES game.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

I truly didn't think a list could be worse than IGN's.... congratulations, you found one. Skyrim #1... lol.. puke. Not even top 100. FFVI and Chrono Trigger 2 and 3.... wow. What is this? A guide to over rated games for those that don't play games but want to look cool online? It's like a cool guy starter kit for millennial gamers to gain instant credibility online bruh... lmfao... get outta here ya bums.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

No kingdoms of amulur lmao

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#74  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

@ArchoNils2 said:

I literally stopped after "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim". It's not even the best TES game.

@Epak_ said:

Skyrim as number 1? Shittiest list ever confirmed.

@killered3 said:

@xdude85:

And some how Elder Scrolls Skyrim shits over ALL of them? I love Skyrim but **** you and your list, Game Informer.

@doomdizzle said:

Skyrim is nice and all but the greatest rpg? nah not even the greatest elder scrolls game

@getyeryayasout said:

I don't know what qualifies as an RPG anymore.

@charizard1605 said:

This list is a joke

@xdude85 said:

The one thing that irked me the most was the fact they actually had the audacity to put Fallout 3 ahead of New Vegas.

@Jag85 said:

The IGN list had a lot issues, but it was still way better than this garbage GI list.

Skyrim the best RPG? FF6 the best JRPG? What a joke.

@Fairmonkey said:

uh no they didn't lol. Skyrim as best RPG ever? Washed out graphics, paper thin gameplay, weak story and characters, disappointing dragon fights, and tons of bugs. I cant play it unmodded

@lundy86_4 said:

I genuinely don't know why publications bother with these lists. This one is so bad, i'm not exactly sure where to start.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44152 Posts

SP throws up a lil in mouth, yuck.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

@xdude85: why dont you like the list?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Number 1 Skyrim ? is this a joke ? SWTOR 7th ? Diablo 3 in there ?

lololol ... epic fail list

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@eloepp: Have you looked at the list and/or read any of the comments in this thread?!? People aren't complaining about it calling it a horrible list because it's full of games that might be before their time, they're calling it a terrible list because it's full of non rpg games (Destiny says hello) and just dumbass entries and placings. Try a little thing called reading next time, it would do you a world of good.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#80 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44611 Posts

stopped reading after seeing Skyrim at the top of the list, what a turd, mechanically an improvement to the TES games but damn, what's a TES games without substantive quests, which it didn't have in the slightest, just auto-gen garbage

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

Yeah the list is garbage. Great games, but some are not exactly RPGs. Whatever, its Game Informer. I lost respect in them long ago as they get hyped for every single upcoming game of the year with pages of previews. Then they give almost all games a pretty good score without being too critical even when games have obvious flaws that other game sites point out.

Game Informer loves everything. They are like a child in a video game store hyping everything up and never remembering that games that came before did things better than the newest entry.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Maroxad

@appariti0n said:
@Maroxad said:
@locopatho said:
@Jag85 said:

You'll laugh, but the reason I stopped playing FFXIV: A realm reborn, was due to a patch that reduced gear choices to pretty much "whatever is the highest item level is always best". So bland. Developers like to call this crap "streamlined".

At least before this patch, a tank could choose str based for more damage, or vit based for more health. Not really a huge choice at all, but at least it's a choice.

FFs, I was a str based tank in that game.

Now they ruined my fun :(

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#83 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

IGN's list wasn't that bad to the point of losing my mind. But, Game Informer's RPG list is hilarious. Horizon Zero Dawn on that list? WOW! Don't even get me started on Destiny for that game was incomplete hot mess! How that game made into that list is beyond me, man. Skyrim deserves to be on that list. But, at number 1? Nah. I'm an Mass Effect fan, but first game ranked at number 65 while Mass Effect 3 ranked at number 45?! WOW, lmbo! WWWOOO, amazing job Game Informer! Folks who played Mass Effect 1 said that its more of an RPG than 2 & 3. Speaking of Mass Effect 3, I'm guessing they forgot about the controversial ending. I do like Mass Effect 2 alot for variety of reasons. But, at number 4?

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#84 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

## This list sucks. But I'm glad they rated FFVII, Persona 3/4/5 higher, and Chrono Cross too. I love Skyrim but #1 is pushing it tbh. Also Destiny is not an RPG lmao

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

I'm curious as to whether or not BotW is just considered an inferior RPG by the standards set by this list, or if they really think that there are 46 games that are better than it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#86  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

I'm curious as to whether or not BotW is just considered an inferior RPG by the standards set by this list, or if they really think that there are 46 games that are better than it.

Your weapon breaks every 5 minutes. It's a fairly antiquated RPG mechanic Skyrim sensibly got rid of.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

This list is a joke

my thoughts exactly

I mean, I love a lot of those games, but I wouldn't put them on that list. They're just not good examples of RPGs.

Skyrim at #1!?!?!?!?!

Skryim is like 90% action game! It's a medieval-fantasy first-person shooter with talking!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#88 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

It's clear it's considered not as accomplished as an RPG (and this list is only ranking it based on its merits as an RPG).

This list is a f*ck up

TheLegitPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By TheLegitPotato
Member since 2017 • 14 Posts

Ok, i've got my fair share of bitching to do about this supposed "100 Best RPGs of all time" list. First, Skyrim shouldn't be #1, I love Skyrim to death, but story and graphics were ok at best, and the game was a buggy mess at launch, and still partially is. The way I look at it, no Bethesda game has a place in the top 10, and I LOVE Bethesda, but their games are ALWAYS buggy and near Broken, and a majority of them STILL are years later. I also think that WoW doesn't have a place that high on the list, i'd say like 20 or so, but There are just better titles on the list. Bloodborne is not an RPG, Pokemon has no place within the top 50, Kingdom Hearts is more action than RPG. Now i'm curious as to how the actual **** Mass Effect 3 hit within the top 50 while the original is in the 60s, when the original is the better RPG, no competition. Also, Dragon Age Inquisition has no place in the top 100 at all, I mean it was an ok game, but just not a terribly great RPG, same thing with XCOM, it just isn't an RPG :/ Now can I ask how the actual shit Mario got on the list? Not once, but twice, just how?! Now on notes of Nintendo, why is BotW on the list and not other objectively better Zelda games like Majora's Mask, Windwaker, or Ocerina of Time? Honestly BotW had a very horizontal progression, with no real gain in power, and that is ESSENTIAL for an RPG to get right. And why are Castlevania and Dragon's Dogma so low? They honestly deserve a higher rank, at least in my eye. And, I want an explanation as to why Destiny, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Stick of Truth are even on here at all, they were all bad at being RPGs, but none were particularly bad games. That is pretty much it aside from really small details that are primarily irrelevant.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#90 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Hey hey hey hey all of you that are quickly going "wow what a shit list" and then also things like defend a game with its "metascore" or "industry awards", always remember that the same people giving out those metascores n industry awards, are the same people who make shitty lists like these.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#91 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Didn't expect Final Fantasy VI to be at number 2 but interesting top 100 list

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Valgaav_219

@thelegitpotato: You spelled ocarina wrong, lmfao

TheLegitPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By TheLegitPotato
Member since 2017 • 14 Posts

@valgaav_219: Whoops :/ was rushed because school and stuff lmao

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@thelegitpotato said:

Now on notes of Nintendo, why is BotW on the list and not other objectively better Zelda games like ...., Windwaker?

Controversial! :O

What do you think @jg4xchamp? :P

Disregarding the fact that The Legend of Zelda games aren't roleplaying games first of all which means that Breath of the Wild failing to grasp the essentials of an RPG in a series of action adventure games probably isn't much of an essential to begin with. You fight stuff, solve puzzles and explore in Zelda games. There is no role-playing, class system or choices dependent on your class or character. There is no role-playing in The Legend of Zelda so, in my mind it's not a role-playing game. :P

So for me Breath of the Wild doesn't belong on the list not because I think there are stronger Zelda games (in my opinion) like Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening or Oracles of Ages but because the entire Legend of Zelda franchise are action-adventure games. Not RPGs.

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

Final Fantasy 7 should be top 10 at the very least. Even Top 5. I will put it at number 1 personally.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Valgaav_219

@samfisher56: Agreed. FFVII was groundbreaking at it's time of release. It hasn't aged well but who cares. It's 20 years old. The fact that people still talk about it today speaks volumes imo

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@ArchoNils2 said:

yeah the instant i saw that i stopped reading the rest. Really can't take them seriously

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#98 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Cool that they mentioned Xenosaga, but not the right one.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#99  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@jumpaction said:
@thelegitpotato said:

Now on notes of Nintendo, why is BotW on the list and not other objectively better Zelda games like ...., Windwaker?

Controversial! :O

What do you think @jg4xchamp? :P

I don't give a ****, lists are whatever n game informer is rubbish.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@jg4xchamp: These lists come out quite often I find. I don't know how anyone ranks 100 things. I couldn't do that...