From Software and George R Martin reported to be working on new game, game already deep in development

#1 Edited by evilross (1980 posts) -

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesradar.com/amp/dark-souls-game-of-thrones-anybody-george-rr-martin-and-fromsoftware-have-apparently-teamed-up-to-work-on-a-new-game/

New IP?

Kings Field V?

Sony Exclusive?

Game of Thrones tie in?

Multiplat?

What’s your reaction to this, and what are you hoping it is?

Personally I’d love to see a return to King’s Field written by Martin.

#2 Posted by SecretPolice (35246 posts) -

R, R, you kidding me. lol :P

#3 Posted by Archangel3371 (27895 posts) -

That sounds very cool indeed. I’d be down for a King’s Field return.

#4 Edited by madrocketeer (6588 posts) -

Gaming's and literature's most infamous mass murderers. A match made in fountains of blood. Perfect. Almost too perfect.

I am very interested.

#5 Edited by Jag85 (13479 posts) -

Maybe even a Berserk game?

...But nah, I think it will be a new IP.

It's a good match. FromSoft's killer gameplay combined with GRR Martin's killer writing.

#6 Posted by Litchie (23863 posts) -

@Jag85: A Berserk game by FromSoftware. Now that I'd like to see.

#7 Posted by Horgen (120387 posts) -

So... Another Dark Souls game?

#8 Edited by Jag85 (13479 posts) -

@Litchie said:

@Jag85: A Berserk game by FromSoftware. Now that I'd like to see.

Yup, that's the collab I really want to see. But this GRR Martin collab sounds like the next best thing, since Game of Thrones itself is almost like a live-action equivalent to Berserk. While Dark Souls is like the video game equivalent to both.

#9 Posted by madrocketeer (6588 posts) -
@horgen said:

Dark Souls x Red Wedding. You defeat a tough boss, you think you've won. The music plays, and assassins suddenly rip you apart. "All men must die," therefore, "prepare to die."

It's just too perfect.

#10 Edited by locus-solus (1113 posts) -

just hope it's not a open world rpg

#11 Posted by evilross (1980 posts) -

@locus-solus:

The rumors are it is open world. There is supposed to be some sort of mechanic where you travel to different themed places in the world, defeat the ruler, and gain their powers. You can supposedly take this on in anyway you like. It kind of sounds like a Megaman type setup.

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#12 Posted by storm_of_swords (2797 posts) -

I've been waiting a long time for a great Game of Thrones game to come along. Hopefully, this is it.

Given that's it's the most popular show on television, I'm surprised that more AAA developers haven't been trying to make one over the past 8 years. I was hoping for Bethesda to make a Skyrim type game in the Game of Thrones universe, but I'm hopeful that From Software will deliver a great Game of Thrones game as well.

#13 Edited by djoffer (1310 posts) -

Finish the damn books first!

#14 Edited by Zuon (323 posts) -

@storm_of_swords: I mean, Bethesda made an almost entirely movie-unrelated Pirates of the Carribean RPG back in the day, so anything's possible, but I don't know if they're that adventurous anymore.

#15 Posted by watercrack445 (1547 posts) -

@evilross said:

@locus-solus:

The rumors are it is open world. There is supposed to be some sort of mechanic where you travel to different themed places in the world, defeat the ruler, and gain their powers. You can supposedly take this on in anyway you like. It kind of sounds like a Megaman type setup.

Haven't play any FromSoftware games. I didn't know it will be this kind of open world game.

#16 Posted by Chutebox (44568 posts) -

That fat PoS....

#17 Posted by Ant_17 (12413 posts) -

What a weird combo.

#18 Edited by Sushiglutton (7203 posts) -

@djoffer said:

Yeah this is som epic procrastination. When I have a report to finish I sometimes play video games. When RR has GoT to finish he makes video games lol.

#19 Posted by Chutebox (44568 posts) -

@djoffer said:

Give it to brandon Sanderson and let him do it....this guy will never finish the series.

#20 Posted by Horgen (120387 posts) -

@madrocketeer said:
@horgen said:

Dark Souls x Red Wedding. You defeat a tough boss, you think you've won. The music plays, and assassins suddenly rip you apart. "All men must die," therefore, "prepare to die."

It's just too perfect.

Oh you just reminded me to finish Vampyr. Got to one of the last bosses and just kept on dying.

#21 Posted by djoffer (1310 posts) -

@Sushiglutton: lol:) but seriously at this point I am so over the GOT books, that I won’t ever bother if release the next book.. might give it another go if he manage to finish the series before dropping dead of a hearth attack:)

@Chutebox: Noo, Sander has more than enough trouble putting out the stormlight archives in a decent pace without adding more to his plate!!

#22 Posted by Chutebox (44568 posts) -

@djoffer: I love Stormlight so far!

#23 Edited by lamprey263 (36108 posts) -

Game of Souls? Dark Thrones?

#24 Posted by phbz (4410 posts) -

#25 Posted by dagubot (1308 posts) -

I'm stoked for this!

#26 Posted by Shmiity (6269 posts) -

I would shit myself if it was King's Field 5. I've been making that joke for like 10 years

#27 Edited by mrbojangles25 (43917 posts) -

Red Wedding Sim

@horgen said:
@madrocketeer said:
@horgen said:

It's just too perfect.

Oh you just reminded me to finish Vampyr. Got to one of the last bosses and just kept on dying.

How is Vampyr towards the end?

Bought it, played it for a couple hours, then moved on to other, more exciting games.

I thought Vampyr was great, a nice change of pace, but it sadly did not hold my attention; by the time I had my 20th conversation at the hospital I felt like I was losing my mind. Not the game's fault, I only have so many hours per week to play games, want to maximize my fun.

#28 Posted by Ten_Pints (3788 posts) -

I hope it's a game about the life of Solaire of Astora complete with plenty of sex scenes and incest.

#29 Posted by xantufrog (11339 posts) -

I hope it's a new IP. A GoT-Souls hybrid would not be very interesting to me - as much as I've enjoyed the books and TV series

#30 Posted by pyro1245 (4992 posts) -

Hmmm. Interested to see more about it.

Anything From Software has my undivided attention.

#31 Posted by floppydics (84 posts) -

Sounds like a good match up. Let's hope it goes a lot better than the kojima, del toro and reedus one. Rip silent hill, man I would kill for a re2 type remake for sh.

#32 Edited by Raining51 (1012 posts) -

This isn't April Fools?

Whoa.

That said it's not too crazy... Dark souls 2 etc has a very medieval atmosphere with knights fighting in close hard physical combat... something that isn't too crazy here I guess.

#33 Edited by evilross (1980 posts) -

@Shmiity:

If it’s King’s Field V I will literally jump and shout for joy.

The thought of From doing a new King’s Field with their current resources on modern hardware with Martin doing the story. Man, that’s just sweet.

#34 Posted by dzimm (5421 posts) -

Martin is an overrated writer.

#35 Posted by foxhound_fox (97891 posts) -

It's about time there was a proper Game of Thrones action-adventure/RPG.

#36 Posted by Icarian (1862 posts) -

Knowing how fast Martin writes this probably won't be out before 2025.

#37 Posted by Robbie23 (342 posts) -

Dark souls: Gordon Ramsey kitchen nightmare edition.

#38 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1475 posts) -

Why should I believe this rumor? The article references a freaking YouTube video, whose author admits it should be taken with a grain of salt. Seems like someone simply combined two very popular things for clickbait.

#39 Posted by Shmiity (6269 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

Red Wedding Sim

@horgen said:
@madrocketeer said:
@horgen said:

It's just too perfect.

Bought it, played it for a couple hours, then moved on to other, more exciting games.

I thought Vampyr was great, a nice change of pace, but it sadly did not hold my attention; by the time I had my 20th conversation at the hospital I felt like I was losing my mind. Not the game's fault, I only have so many hours per week to play games, want to maximize my fun.

Loved Vampyr. Thought the story was consistently excellent. I did a pacifist run my first time through and it was very engaging.

#40 Posted by Sevenizz (3819 posts) -

Never liked the Beatles or Dark Souls so this means nothing to me.

#41 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43917 posts) -

@Shmiity said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Red Wedding Sim

@horgen said:
@madrocketeer said:
@horgen said:

It's just too perfect.

Loved Vampyr. Thought the story was consistently excellent. I did a pacifist run my first time through and it was very engaging.

It's funny because in my youth I would always play a dark character--if it was a stealth game, I'd kill people instead of knock them out; if I played a vampire, I'd drink people's blood non-chalantly--but these days I don't find myself enjoying it as much. I like to play kind characters. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age...

I will have to give Vampyr another go as a pacifist. Now I remember reading that if you didn't drain a lot of people's blood it would limit the skills you had, does it make up for that in some other way?

#42 Edited by Shmiity (6269 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Shmiity said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Red Wedding Sim

@horgen said:
@madrocketeer said:

It's just too perfect.

It's funny because in my youth I would always play a dark character--if it was a stealth game, I'd kill people instead of knock them out; if I played a vampire, I'd drink people's blood non-chalantly--but these days I don't find myself enjoying it as much. I like to play kind characters. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age...

I will have to give Vampyr another go as a pacifist. Now I remember reading that if you didn't drain a lot of people's blood it would limit the skills you had, does it make up for that in some other way?

Draining blood gives you a lot of EXP. If you do Pacifist the game is harder because you'll be a lower level. You still get EXP from other things. So to get the best ending the game is more challenging.