Franchise that are at their peak at the moment?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Yeah yeah, new gen sucks. All games are the same blah blah blah.

What about franchise that are currently experiencing their glory days? What franchise as of the 8th gen of consoles are the best they've ever been?

Mortal Kombat: Mortal Kombat X might be the most technically polished MK game yet. Older ones on the SNES were fine games but paled in comparison to its more advanced contemporaries such as Street Fighter II or Samurai Showdown on a gameplay level. Mortal Kombat 9 and 10 to me are by far the best in the franchise. They're probably the first ones taken seriously competitively by the fighting game community.

inFAMOUS: Never been a great game. Always has been decent fun but I find Delsin to be a lot better written than Cole who just looks like he came out of a jail sentence as part of the Aryan Brotherhood. The gameplay hasn't evolved a lot but I find the plot and overall writing to be improved over the second and first one. Not saying much but silver linings and all.

Tomb Raider: First one was good I guess. Then a slew of bad titles tarnished the franchise. Its name was cleared when the reboot released in 2013. ROTTR is every bit as good.

The Witcher: No explanation needed.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

Battlefield 1 is the best that it's ever been: set in a historical setting again.

Never was a big fan of BF3&4, but I did like Bad Company 2 and its Vietnam DLC.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Anything Forza.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Doom by far. it evolved from previous games.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#5 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Forza

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Forza, Uncharted, Mario Kart, MOrtal Kombat, Battlefield,

How can you say Delsin is better than Cole?

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Witcher 3 and GTA 5 are on top of their craft

GtA5 playing as the rich dad or black guy starting from nothing or psycho trevor is all fun.

rock star is a genius they are at the peek there game they coulda made a piece of crap and just labeled it gta and it woulda sold.

they instead made the best gta ever beating san sandreas

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#8 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Juub1990:

Uncharted is definitely at its best to date.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Juub1990
@killered3 said:

@Juub1990:

Uncharted is definitely at its best to date.

I don't know if 4 beats 2 honestly.

So far for me it's

1. Among Thieves

2. A Thief's End

3. Drake's Fortune

4. Drake's Deception

3 is mechanically better than the first one and blows it away in almost everything but it's just so damn boring. The original one was clunky and unpolished but at least I could bring myself to finish it and it felt a lot more fresh. Its pacing also isn't awful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

Tomb Raider

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Juub1990

@storm_of_swords said:

Tomb Raider

True. Another one I forgot.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
  • Witcher (3)
  • Forza (Horizon 3)
  • Divinity (Original Sin)
  • Uncharted (4)
  • Total War (Warhammer)
enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Street Fighter atm

... and dare I say.... Final F'n Fantasy!!

Edit: 6 months ago I would have said Diablo... but they seem to be approaching maintenance only mode soon

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Doom by far. it evolved from previous games.

Buuuuu

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AzatiS

@enzyme36 said:

Street Fighter atm

... and dare I say.... Final F'n Fantasy!!

Edit: 6 months ago I would have said Diablo... but they seem to be approaching maintenance only mode soon

Final Fantasy ? DIABLO 3 ? Are you crazy bro ? Tell me you trolling , these picks are insane for myriad of reasons...

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AzatiS

Witcher

Forza

Uncharted

Bayonetta

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#17 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Juub1990:

Uncharted 2 was great but the scope of the overall adventure wasn't nearly as epic as 4. No vehicles and the levels were puny compared to 4.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#18 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@ProtossRushX: They did make a piece of crap and call it GTA. It's called GTAV. For all the good/ fun elements, there are like five that feel crammed in for its own sake that simply aren't fun. Well made, yes, but boring as hell.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Rayman
Disgaea
Warriors/Musou
Super Smash Bros(I'm sure a lot of Melee fans would disagree)

Persona? (I have to wait until Feb to play it myself, but evidence is showing that 5 could be the best)

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

The Witcher and maybe Street Fighter.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Witcher 3

Uncharted 4

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

@ProtossRushX: Man GTA V is seriously one of the best games out there right now. I'm still having a ball doing heists with my friends online.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Infamous...other than that I agree with most others.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#24 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts

The Witcher, Dragon Age, Forza, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, NBA 2k..... I consider Mass Effect 3 the best of the three but im in a minority

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Witcher, Forza, Tomb Raider...

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Quicksilver128
Member since 2003 • 7075 Posts

Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, Street Fighter 5, MKX

and Tomb Raider.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Donkey Kong with Tropical Freeze

I'd say Kirby as well. Triple Deluxe and Robobot are top tier Kirby games IMO, and Rainbow Curse was a decent title as well.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Witcher, GTA, Uncharted, Forza

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Man, this is a tough one. I am one of those that believe most games now are worse than they were, even just one generation back, in which they were for the most part worse than the generation before that. However, with all that blah blah blah said (lol) I do feel SOME games have been making strides in the right direction.

1. 3D Mario games. I never was a big fan of the original Mario 64, but I feel that most new iterations of 3D Mario games are getting better and better, and I can't wait for the next one in line, whatever that may be.

2. Super Mario Maker (Yes again with the Mario... Nintendo be killin it - I never thought a 2D Mario game could get BETTER than SMB3 or SMW, but a game that has endless levels and no end to the creativity that incorporates all the best games and then some. The ONLY thing that could be better is if they make a Super Mario Maker 2 and add a fully fledged Mario campaign and STILL retain the Maker part. Sure, the original has a campaign of sorts, but not really.

3. Dynasty/ Samurai/ Orochi Warriors and Empires (these games continue to get better and better. There is really no denying it. If it's your thing cool, if not that's cool as well. I used to be a bigger fan than I am now, but I still buy new games from time to time as they continuously evolve the franchises in the right directions.

4. Sandbox games in general, including survival games (Now, I'm not saying that ALL sandbox games are better, just that the quality as a whole has gone up. Perhaps that is because more and more are being made though, not too sure.) I am loving the survival horror games and just plain survival games like 7 Days to Die, Rust, and Ark. I really hope they continue to evolve these games in the right direction, and they are EASILY the best newer genre around, and one of the only pushes toward originality and something that is moving in the right direction. Sure there are ripoffs galore, but that's not a bad thing in my book. Most are pretty fun to play.

5. MLB The Show (Each year the series gets better and better).

6. NBA 2K (Although I HATE the laggy online play of this series and much prefer Live's online play, it is hard to argue that each of the past 4 years aren't getting better and better. The shot meter this season is AMAZE BALLS.

7. Racing sims as a whole

8. Size of game worlds (I love how the average game worlds are getting larger and more detailed. That said, in some cases like the bridge from Morrowind - Skyrim (don't get me started on that steaming pile Skyrim...) it actually goes down, but it is really the exception here andot the rule, which is a good thing. I think it's awesome how large and detailed gaming worlds are becoming.

I'll post a few more later, have to go for now. I know not all of these are games, but I decided to also list some improvements overall since quality is sometimes hard to judge otherwise. As far as fun gameplay goes, I feel the industry has gone downhill overall, but as far as setting a solid foundation.. yeah, I think it's there. It just feels as though the last couple gens have been little more than guinea pig gens. What I mean by that is that it feels like they are testing the water with hardware and tech more than worrying about the software, for something down the road instead of taking advantage of what we have NOW. I personally think starting NEXT gen that gaming will hit a golden age (yes there will be another gen, you can take it to the bank). I feel that many of the bugs and kinks have been worked out of modern day gaming (similar as to struggles with the net over the first few years of induction) and now that a solid foundation is built from a technical, hardware, and app standpoint that they will put more time and energy into games moving forward since they can finally recognize a standard that was previously unattainable through hardware that was being pushed to do too much. At some point, the hardware will match the vision and we will enter another awesome age of gaming (or so I believe... or hope) It's not that all games have been horrible over the past couple handful of years, it's just that it feels incomplete and like an afterthought to the growing industry. I feel that industry has grown and is starting to fill those shoes that just a couple years back were at that awkward stage of development where the potential was there but was wobbly as the foundation grew. Now that things are ironed out however, I truly expect next gen (especially with how many gaps have been bridged between platforms) that something great is coming in the next few years. Add that to the fact that Indies are booming more than ever, and the industry is more profitable than ever and what was once an awkward teenager should start to blooming into a full fledged bad ass sooner rather than later. When that time comes, I will accept it with open arms (not that I don't already grudgingly do that anyways... grumble grumble), but I won't be telling all the damn "this generation is the best ever" kids to get off my lawn, because at THAT POINT, I might just agree. Oh yeah, and that's not to mention the fact that internet standards are rising everyday, and by the time this all happens the speed of average internet might actually put people close to par with each other which also eliminates the need for things like lag compensation. That is truly the ONE biggest thing holding gaming back these days. The vision is there, but the tech and average internet speed isn't quite there yet. The good thing is that it is only a short time until we get to the point where those struggles are history.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Lots of Tomb Raider fans would disagree.