Forza vs. Gran Turismo: A War of Words (56k)

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

As this war of words plays out, it's becoming evident that, to Yamauchi, it may not be a "war" at all. As we learn more about him, he appears to view himself as an artist, judging his work by the standards of his own ideals. Likewise, when analyzing the work of his peers, he does not try to compare it to his own – instead, he attempts to understand their interpretation of what a racing game should be, and how their work may have lived up to their own goals.

Above: Polyphony Digital's Lead Designer, Kazunori Yamauchi

Above: Turn 10's Creative Director, Dan Greenawalt

Turn 10's Creative Director, Dan Greenawalt:

"We watched the Sony press conference and we were like, OK so we just brought what we believe firmly is the best racing game ever made, and our competition didn't show up. So now you can see why I'm fairly bullish. I hate to sound so cocky but the truth is the stars have aligned. I don't know how else to say it.

"Kazunori Yamauchi-san is someone I have tremendous respect for. I have tremendous respect for the work of team, but I am a GT fan. I bought my first car that I stressed out about buying because I played it in Gran Turismo. I'm in this industry because of that game.

"That said, as a fan of the series, he hasn't done anything for me in years. So in many ways he's handing the baton to me. He probably doesn't see it that way, but I do, because I believe that I'm now taking what he ignited in me as a passion, and taking it to a much, much, much broader level. I'm not saying it's necessarily larger yet, but definitely broader, younger, older, men, women. So I'm really excited."

And, via Joystiq,

"So, props to Kazunori Yamauchi-san and the PS1 team. That said, I feel that he's passed us the baton. Perhaps he hasn't meant to, but we have taken the genre to new levels and they've stopped evolving the genre. So again, tremendous respect to him, but I'd say the differentiator is they're old school. The emperor's naked, and I don't want to, you know, I don't want to slap him around, but no game competes [with] us right now."

…and Xbox360Achievements:

"I play a lot of racing games, including PC racing games and I have not seen anything that is even within years of what we're delivering here."

Heated rhetoric aside, it's very interesting to see how two very different groups of people approach the same problem. Yamauchi, in his quest for the perfect driving simulation, delivers games of stunning quality. Turn 10, in their pursuit of the GT franchise, introduce innovative new features to differentiate their product in unique and creative ways. Ultimately, it's a race from which neither will emerge "victorious" over the other, because racing game fans have already won.

Source

I see these two games branching off in completely different directions, both of them re-defining the racing sim genre in their own unique ways.

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nmaharg
Member since 2004 • 3285 Posts
Good read. I will buy and play both.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

Interesting, obviously two very different people. Both games are going to be excellent in their own way.

DonPerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 DonPerian
Member since 2005 • 3773 Posts
GT5 could be art, but he needs to remember, it needs to be fun and engaging as well. I see nothing wrong with Dan Greenawalt's comments. He says time and time again how much respect he has for the GT series. I'd be pretty bullish, too, if I've put out 2 full AAA games in the time it took another developer to release one.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
GT5 could be art, but he needs to remember, it needs to be fun and engaging as well. I see nothing wrong with Dan Greenawalt's comments. He says time and time again how much respect he has for the GT series. I'd be pretty bullish, too, if I've put out 2 full AAA games in the time it took another developer to release one.DonPerian
No need to be *bullish*. He see's GT as the competitor while Yamauchi is just making "art" so why should he even bother being like that? He could just respect Yamauchi for what he did and leave it at that. I wonder what will happend if GT5 actually manages to get an overall better score on metacritic + sell better. Wouldn't that theoretically make GT5 the*better* game? I'm almost sure it would piss Dan Greenawalt off and make him try even harder.
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
no mather what they'll say, the fanboys will always fight both games look good though
SionPT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SionPT
Member since 2007 • 865 Posts

i like his acctitude, i hate his arrogance, makes me feel like everything he said is just bull

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

I love how a thread titled "A War of Words" has a 56k warning. :)

beekayjay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 beekayjay
Member since 2008 • 1732 Posts
He is very definitely too arrogant and too sure of himself; HOWEVER, I do absolutely agree with Greenwalt and his criticisms of PD. They've been slow to evolve, opting for quantity of cars and tracks as an easy was out of actually advancing the series.
Tobin09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tobin09
Member since 2006 • 1579 Posts

hey riku, you should go find the recent IGN dan greenwalt interview, where all he said was respect for phphony, and went off an how the devs arn't really competing, and that the games are just 2 different visions of what a racing game should be. and about how he has, and always will play gran turismo.

I would, but no time.

Also, I saw people talking about a vid wheregreenwalt hit like 160 at road atlanta in his s4, if anyone has that they should link it.

Tauu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Tauu
Member since 2005 • 825 Posts

"passed the baton"... he might be eating those words when GT5 releases. I think he's a little too confident. But time will tell.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

How about we let the games do the talking ;)

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
Guys, guys - no-one cares about your preamble or your motivations for that matter... just deliver something that's new, and engaging to play sometime before the next millenia (yeah, that's right, I'm lookin' at YOU Yamauchi-san) rolls around before people stop caring about your genre altogether...
Tobin09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tobin09

It's a little sad how everyone takes this one interview out of context, ignors everything else he says, and labels him arrogant. Hes not. at all.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts

It's a little sad how everyone takes this one interview out of context, ignors everything else he says, and labels him arrogant. Hes not. at all.

Tobin09
Yeah, he should talk to [Activision CEO] Bobby Kotick sometime... seems they have alot in common...
Nidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nidget
Member since 2009 • 1325 Posts
The sooner these two games come out, flop and the get forgotten about, the better.
PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
That guy is such a d-bag. I'm considering buying a 360 so I can play Forza 3, but his personality is turning me away from the game. It's like he thinks he's some godly developer who can't be matched by anyone else and it makes him and his dev team look like a bunch of losers, at least to me.
jessesalinas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jessesalinas
Member since 2007 • 2935 Posts
That guy is such a d-bag. I'm considering buying a 360 so I can play Forza 3, but his personality is turning me away from the game. It's like he thinks he's some godly developer who can't be matched by anyone else and it makes him and his dev team look like a bunch of losers, at least to me.PS2_ROCKS
i think you're taking this way too seriously when a developer's words are turning you away from buying a game. if thats the case i would have ZERO games in my library... so just chill.
Tobin09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Tobin09
That guy is such a d-bag. I'm considering buying a 360 so I can play Forza 3, but his personality is turning me away from the game. It's like he thinks he's some godly developer who can't be matched by anyone else and it makes him and his dev team look like a bunch of losers, at least to me.PS2_ROCKS
wow, your more ignorant than what you think he is, go look up some real interviews, recent ones, listen to a podcast, hes a cool dude.
marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts

great, another Rikusaki thread :roll:, which is basically a eulogy of Gran Turismo and an attempt to portray Turn 10 as some arrogant developer who is greatly inferior. Why even type "Turn 10, in their pursuit of the GT franchise"? Its almost like you tried to write an unbiased thread but couldnt physically do it without putting some form of "GT>Forza" in there somewhere.

Generalmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Generalmojo
Member since 2008 • 3670 Posts

GT5 will pwn Forza3, im telling you now!!!

Matt_1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Matt_1337
Member since 2008 • 482 Posts

Generalmojo

And so it should after all those years of development time :P.

Tobin09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Tobin09

great, another Rikusaki thread :roll:, which is basically a eulogy of Gran Turismo and an attempt to portray Turn 10 as some arrogant developer who is greatly inferior. Why even type "Turn 10, in their pursuit of the GT franchise"? Its almost like you tried to write an unbiased thread but couldnt physically do it without putting some form of "GT>Forza" in there somewhere.

marklarmer
Gt planet wrote the article, I agree that they made turn 10 sound bad on pourpose. Rikusaki is cool though. hes just a fan.
walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts

Generalmojo
Na
PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

Generalmojo

Like GT4 pwnd Forza. :lol:

Nidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nidget
Member since 2009 • 1325 Posts
[QUOTE="marklarmer"]

Tobin09
Gt planet wrote the article, I agree that they made turn 10 sound bad on pourpose. Rikusaki is cool though. hes just a fan.

Sorry you didnt finish that sentence. Ill finish it for you: "Rikusaki is cool though. hes just a fanboy."
zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 zero_snake99
Member since 2004 • 3478 Posts

thelastguy
Nice sig by Adobe. Only Pro's will accept both, even if there is a preference over another, both is what any car/race fanatic should be getting.
PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
[QUOTE="PS2_ROCKS"]That guy is such a d-bag. I'm considering buying a 360 so I can play Forza 3, but his personality is turning me away from the game. It's like he thinks he's some godly developer who can't be matched by anyone else and it makes him and his dev team look like a bunch of losers, at least to me.Tobin09
wow, your more ignorant than what you think he is, go look up some real interviews, recent ones, listen to a podcast, hes a cool dude.

Why would I have to go out of may way to find the good side of a developer? If they want me to think they're a bunch of cool guys then they wouldn't make statements that make them sound so arrogant.
zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 zero_snake99

[QUOTE="Generalmojo"]

PS3_3DO

Like GT4 pwnd Forza. :lol:

While I don't agree with Generalmojo's comment (since we haven't seen any new footage from GT5...) you do have to consider that GT5 has the MOST added new features from any GT iteration. Including online, 1280x1080p (rumored 1920x1080), real time damage, WRC, Nascar, and more including new upgraded physics (with roll over). That's the most PD has ever added to their games, and I think its enough to revamp the series.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

[QUOTE="thelastguy"]

zero_snake99

Nice sig by Adobe. Only Pro's will accept both, even if there is a preference over another, both is what any car/race fanatic should be getting.

Exactly :)

zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 zero_snake99

[QUOTE="zero_snake99"][QUOTE="thelastguy"]

thelastguy

I don't have a 360 though. I was going to get it and play it on my brothers 360, but it died, though he did get a replacement, but that one is ready to go too. He's only got a month of warranty left, so he's buying a PS3 instead. So no Forza 3 for me =[. Also, I don't like playing with controllers... I'd need a wheel, and I already dished enough money for my G25.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
I prefer Yamauchi's attitude. One should judge their own work against themself, not other people's work.
Tobin09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tobin09
[QUOTE="Tobin09"][QUOTE="PS2_ROCKS"]That guy is such a d-bag. I'm considering buying a 360 so I can play Forza 3, but his personality is turning me away from the game. It's like he thinks he's some godly developer who can't be matched by anyone else and it makes him and his dev team look like a bunch of losers, at least to me.PS2_ROCKS

Why would I have to go out of may way to find the good side of a developer? If they want me to think they're a bunch of cool guys then they wouldn't make statements that make them sound so arrogant.

your basing an oppinion, an apparently important one to you, when you know you only know the bad. You basically just admited your ignorant.. The statements don't even make them sound arrogant, the media does, if you listened to the interview, you would see they had great respect.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
[QUOTE="thelastguy"]

[QUOTE="zero_snake99"] Nice sig by Adobe. Only Pro's will accept both, even if there is a preference over another, both is what any car/race fanatic should be getting.zero_snake99

I don't have a 360 though. I was going to get it and play it on my brothers 360, but it died, though he did get a replacement, but that one is ready to go too. He's only got a month of warranty left, so he's buying a PS3 instead. So no Forza 3 for me =[. Also, I don't like playing with controllers... I'd need a wheel, and I already dished enough money for my G25.

If your brother only has 1 month left on his warranty and it looks like his X360 might die anytime soon, I suggest you tell him to "help" his X360 die before the month is over so he can get it repaired. Cover up the vents or something and leave it running, thats sure to get you a RROD :P
zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 zero_snake99

[QUOTE="zero_snake99"][QUOTE="thelastguy"]

II_Seraphim_II

If your brother only has 1 month left on his warranty and it looks like his X360 might die anytime soon, I suggest you tell him to "help" his X360 die before the month is over so he can get it repaired. Cover up the vents or something and leave it running, thats sure to get you a RROD :P

We are just going to send it back in, because well, we did that with the last one (it wasn't getting RROD.. but it froze EVERY TIME he booted it up.. and funny colors happened too). But yeah, he just isn't wanting to deal with it anymore. When he gets a replacement, he said he's just going to sell it. He already has 200+ going towards a PS3. He also doesn't like paying for Live. Between the times he works and goes to school, he has about 8 hours a day to eat, sleep, play (not the company =P). Besides, his computer is beast. (Blows mine out the water =[... and Im a heavy pc gamer.)

Quadster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36 Quadster
Member since 2003 • 578 Posts
Probably just me, but i've tried the forza 3 demo, and TBH if thats what GT5 is gonna be like then i think i'll pass, i dunno why people keep harking on about Forza 3 or GT5 like they're the best games ever, i spent a little bit of time with it and i really don't like how ropey the controls feel. If this or GT5 is meant to be realistic, i'd sooner go back to playing arcade racers like Full Auto or Ridge racer 6, atleast you can literally just jump in and play without having to wrestle with the controls, sure they both look pretty but whats the point of that eye candy if you're wrestling with the controls?
Tobin09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Tobin09
Probably just me, but i've tried the forza 3 demo, and TBH if thats what GT5 is gonna be like then i think i'll pass, i dunno why people keep harking on about Forza 3 or GT5 like they're the best games ever, i spent a little bit of time with it and i really don't like how ropey the controls feel. If this or GT5 is meant to be realistic, i'd sooner go back to playing arcade racers like Full Auto or Ridge racer 6, atleast you can literally just jump in and play without having to wrestle with the controls, sure they both look pretty but whats the point of that eye candy if you're wrestling with the controls?Quadster
don't brake and turn at the same time. Autobrake and racing line? once you get a handle on a sim, it's hard to go back.
jessesalinas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jessesalinas
Member since 2007 • 2935 Posts

Generalmojo
dont hold your breath.
zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 zero_snake99
[QUOTE="Generalmojo"]

jessesalinas
dont hold your breath.

You say that while you have blogs entitled "No Damage for GT5 [Confirmed]." You aren't biased at all.
Tobin09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Tobin09
[QUOTE="zero_snake99"][QUOTE="jessesalinas"][QUOTE="Generalmojo"]

dont hold your breath.

You say that while you have blogs entitled "No Damage for GT5 [Confirmed]." You aren't biased at all.

no offense, but your kindof known to be baised twards GT,
360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

I think the bullish comes from deep down inside he's a little worried about what GT5 will drop once it's finished. If he respected the guy so much why bother with those comments when the competition could care less. Taking time and pride may prove to be ownage.

zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 zero_snake99
[QUOTE="zero_snake99"][QUOTE="jessesalinas"] dont hold your breath.Tobin09

no offense, but your kindof known to be baised twards GT,

I like all racing sims, but rFactor is my sim of choice. Yes, I do like GT and yes I prefer it over Forza, but I have my reasons. I haven't bashed Forza 3 (I haven't played anything beyond the demo, which was good), and Forza 1 and 2 I didn't particularly like. I really don't care for car customization (I hate custom paint jobs, I find that it ruins the the look of cars, yes I'm one of those guys), and I thought the physics for both FM1 & 2 were off. (I've given reasons in dozens of other threads, though I will admit, I don't have a wheel for any of those.) Forza 3 seems to fix pretty much all the problems I had with it, though there is one thing that's nagging me. Going from tarmac to dirt, and dirt to tarmac doesn't effect handling as much as it should, though that might be fixed in the full release (tires don't slip enough when you hit the grass). Anyway... The reason why I get so defensive about GT is because I don't see why people bash it so much (That, and it was my first sim racer). It's been getting better and better each time, and GT5 has so many new features that it seems like they are trying to revamp the series, which is great. Forza brought some great things to the console sim table, and PD are trying to show it up with GT5's features. Forza 3 is a great game. Even the reviews say so, I just don't see how people claim ownage on GT5 over Forza 3 (and vice versa, but most those guys are just fanboys) when GT5 isn't out yet. "Bu bu but bumper car physics." Yeah, thats right, lets compare GT5P to Forza 3 when GT5 OBVIOUSLY has confirmed changes, in which damage/roll over is coming to all vehicles. This is where my bias comes from. It's like with me and PC and PS3. I love my PC more, but I don't see where the unfounded criticism (like retail price? we live in 2009 not 2007..) comes from. So I get defensive about it. It's a very capable machine and it's proving that it's making a come back, yet people don't acknowledge any of it. Anyway, there. I explained why I have a bias/preference for GT..
zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 zero_snake99
Rikusaki and Polyphony Digital smell like tuna fish.....there i said it.Travis_Odell
That's called for...
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts
to be honest.. Forza series presents itself well through PR but falls short on delivering engaging gameplay. whereas GT series is as close as we can get to realistic racing footage with decent engaging gameplay. the most engaging racing gameplay of all time goes to Colin McRae series (old 04-05 series). the most engaging racing gameplay this gen goes to PGR series. overall (most-to-least entertaining series) ------------------------------------------------- Colin McRae (the last gen series) PGR series (current gen) GT series (last and current gen) Forza series (last and current gen) best graphics ---------------------------------- GT series PGR series Dirt & Colin McRae Forza
aero250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 aero250
Member since 2009 • 3613 Posts
Forza imo has replaced GT as the best console sim, but thats just my opinion.
360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

Forza imo has replaced GT as the best console sim, but thats just my opinion.aero250

Probibly because GT hasn't released a game in years right? I'm taking the wait and see approach with this one.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

I think when GT5 comes out (looking at the GT track record: minimal new features, only better physics and graphics, still selling 10 mil each full game, 4 million for a big demo) with all the new features + GTs good old realism and career mode it will wtfpwn evrey Forza game in scores and sales. Tho i am a little afraid bout the fact that PS3 has significantly less users then PS1 and 2 =/. We will see, i just know its gonna be awsome :D

Revolution316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Revolution316
Member since 2009 • 2877 Posts

Graphics: GT5>Forza3
Physics: Forza3>GT5
Content: GT5>Forza3 or = because of Forza 3 customization.

Final score 9 for both. this fight will never end.

tbh, im liking Forza 3 more so far. but i have a feeling kaz has something up his sleeves. But wow, that turn 10 guy is one cocky s.o.b. He goes out of his way just to bash PD and the series. Kaz is all about respect. not once did he have anything to say about other racers.