FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

https://nintendosoup.com/yuji-naka-cadence-of-hyrule-gives-me-the-feeling-nintendo-has-changed-a-lot/

This is regarding Nintendo's move of giving out the Zelda license to a small indie developer.

https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/1108526462758461440?s=19

Yuji Naka, the creator of Sonic the Hedgehog, recently posted a very interesting comment on his personal Twitter account.

After Cadence of Hyrule, a crossover between The Legend of Zelda and Crypt of the Necrodancer, was revealed, Naka said Nintendo lending an IP to an indie studio made him felt that the company has changed a lot.

Naka explained that in the past, he approached Nintendo to ask for permission to use Mario in a video game, which we can safely assume is a Sonic game. Naka said Cadence of Hyrule, in some way, reminded him of Nintendo “shooting down” his proposal.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Definitely good signs coming from Nintendo.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

They did put a Mario reference in a Sega game, but promply removed it. The shrinking and fireball mechanic however still exists.

Just a friendly joke, but no doubt Nintendo being Nintendo, would have tried to sue them shitless, just like they try to with their own fanbase.

A truly awful company.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I guess that’s good. I’m not sure if I’m really all that interested in Cadence of Hyrule myself though. I’ll probably just end up sticking to the Nintendo developed games but I guess it could be nice to have the option there of something else possibly catching my interest.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: How so, this isn't the first time they've let an outside developer use one of their IPs, Zelda being one of them ages ago.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I don't know that Sonic and Mario should mix in a platformer. And that's mostly because Sonic has had a lot of missteps as a platformer. I guess if Nintendo co-developed it, maybe... it could lead to an interesting mix of platforming in one game... Maybe you could have them both platform together, switching between the 2 with the press of a button or something. I wonder if there are fun levels you could design around that idea. Would be tough, with how different the two tend to feel.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@vfighter said:

@hrt_rulz01: How so, this isn't the first time they've let an outside developer use one of their IPs, Zelda being one of them ages ago.

Because I just think it's yet another positive sign, along with their support of Indies on the platform, that shows Nintendo making a concerted effort to change and make their systems more open.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#8 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Alex Kidd in Shinobi World was one of the greatest 8-bit hack & slash platformers!

I didn't know who Mario was when I first played it, so I didn't realise that was a Mario parody until years later.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

that must be the reason why this caught my attention.... I'm like huh a Zelda that's just kinda out there, eh maybe that's not an issue really.