floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 415 Posts

What are some of your recent or forgotten classics that should have been more popular than they were in your opinion?

Hidden and Dangerous 1 and 2 (Buggy as hell but hard as balls and pretty tactical)

Um Jammer Lammy (Better than Parappa but never got as much recognition)

Splatterhouse 1 and 2 (Stylistically cool cos I love horror with awesome music and enemy design, super fun)

Neo Scavenger (Super tension staring at hexes and reading text boxes lol, pretty hardcore)

Arx Fatalis (Cool magic system and Arkane doing good stuff even in their nappies)

Future Cop LAPD (Nice music and terminator/Robocop-esque vibe and gore and big stompy robots)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

Arx Fatalis brings back good experiences. It was different in a good way.

Mark of Ninja is one of the best stealth games I have played but it hasn't gotten much coverage because its a side scroller.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 floppydics

@Pedro said:

Arx Fatalis brings back good experiences. It was different in a good way.

Mark of Ninja is one of the best stealth games I have played but it hasn't gotten much coverage because its a side scroller.

Defo man Mark of the Ninja was fantastic I should defo play that again sometime. Wasn't they remastering it or has it already been released and I have missed it. The artstlye always reminded of shank which was quite fun for a while.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Galak-Z.

Best shooter ever made. Ignored.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#5  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Singularity comes to mind. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Bioshock. Poi is also a solid 3D platformer like Super Mario 64 that not many people have heard about.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

Heavy Metal: Geomatrix on the Dreamcast. This was a Capcom arcade port that ran on the same engine as Spawn: In the Demon's Hand, but was a much better game. It's like an arena brawler with some third person shooter elements. I'd say it's almost as good as Power Stone, but not nearly as fondly remembered. Barely remembered at all really.

Also on Dreamcast, Ooga Booga. Your on a small island with 4 other people, and you wail on each other until the time runs out. Smack, toss shrunken heads, pick up various weapons scattered about, or hop on a boar and ram into people. It's just stupid hilarious fun.

Pandora's Tower on Wii. This was my favorite of the Operation Rainfall, late release Wii games. Better than Xenoblade, better than The Last Story. Kind of like if Zelda was just a bunch of dungeons and a small hub world. And darker. Plus the battle system makes good use of motion controls. IR pointer is used to direct this chain that is your primary weapon, and also for traversal. Classic controller is an option, but it really doesn't work as well.

Is Override: Mech City Brawl popular? Because I had never heard of it until I saw it for sale on steam a few weeks ago. If not, add it to my list, it is great. Like a mix of Tech Romancer and War of the Monsters. Speaking of, both of those games could probably be on this list too.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

aragami. beautifully made ninja stealth game with enchanting visuals and audio

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#8 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2564 Posts

Team buddies: it was this weird strategy game on the PS1, it had a lot of flaws, but certainly a lot of potential.

Folklore: a PS3 RPG with a celtic lore if im not mistaken, Very colorful, would have been a great franchise.

Demento/Haunting Ground: A PS2 horror game similar to clock tower.

And well, not particularly unknown, but i say Valkyria Chronicles and Brave Fencer Musashi deserve to be more popular.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 floppydics

@BassMan: I cant remember much about it but I remember enjoying Singularity a lot a long time ago. Was a bit like Half Life if I remember correctly. Never heard of Poi.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 floppydics

@judaspete: Never played Heavy metal: Geomatrix, checked it out on youtube looks pretty interesting as I loved Power Stone. I still regret selling my DC and games years ago all them awesome games I lost. so I bought another and am slowly building up a small collection. I have Override mech city Brawl on steam but still unplayed. I'll install and gice it a whirl on your recommendation :)

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Desync. It does a shit job explaining itself, but if you like to sauce in your games it's one of the best FPS games for it.

Loading Video...

One of those games you're going to need to read some outside material get a hand of, but once those systems click and you can play with more intentionality, nothing else like it. A sequel to this game, with cleaner instructions and probably a more readable visual style would kill it in the action game community.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts
  • Project Nomads
  • Cortex Command
  • Battlerite
  • Dirty Bomb
  • Crusader: No remorse
  • Ascendency
  • Dustforce
  • Silent Storm
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Oni
  • Driver San Francisco
  • Outer Wilds
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts
  • Ape Escape
  • Baten Kaitos
  • Bushido Blade
  • Kung Fu Chaos
  • Driver series
floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 floppydics

@jg4xchamp said:

Desync. It does a shit job explaining itself, but if you like to sauce in your games it's one of the best FPS games for it.

Loading Video...

One of those games you're going to need to read some outside material get a hand of, but once those systems click and you can play with more intentionality, nothing else like it. A sequel to this game, with cleaner instructions and probably a more readable visual style would kill it in the action game community.

Looks like a 80s retro synth-wavey Tron Unreal Tournament. Looks pretty cool I'll add to wishlist.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 floppydics

@Seabas989: Bushido Blade is a nice pick.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Sins of a Solar Empire and Stellaris. If you love 4X games you're missing out. Trumps normal Civ5/6 in my opinion. They have so much content it's insane and you can replay them endlessly.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 floppydics

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Sins of a Solar Empire and Stellaris. If you love 4X games you're missing out. Trumps normal Civ5/6 in my opinion. They have so much content it's insane and you can replay them endlessly.

Stellaris soundtrack is also phenomenal I like to listen to it now and again outside of the game when relaxing too. Good game.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Kind of a random list that pops to mind, but

--Wetrix+ (Dreamcast) - the definitive edition of Tetris, but instead of stupid tetrominoes you get mountains and lava and rain and ducks in gripping 3D
--Wetrix+ (Dreamcast) - the definitive edition of Tetris, but instead of stupid tetrominoes you get mountains and lava and rain and ducks in gripping 3D

--Hexen (PC) - would be Ghost's dream if it had more guns and less fantasy
--Hexen (PC) - would be Ghost's dream if it had more guns and less fantasy

--The Even More Incredible Machine (PC) - hell yes, a thinkin game for thinkin folks
--The Even More Incredible Machine (PC) - hell yes, a thinkin game for thinkin folks

--Psychic World (GameGear) - this game is a gem. Picture a good 16-bit sidescroll platformer with power ups, but somehow on an 8-bit handheld.
--Psychic World (GameGear) - this game is a gem. Picture a good 16-bit sidescroll platformer with power ups, but somehow on an 8-bit handheld.

--Black and White (PC) - make the giant ape eat poop.
--Black and White (PC) - make the giant ape eat poop.

-Lords of Magic (PC) - Heroes of Might and Magic. Kinda. With less replay value but a strangely gripping gameplay loop.
-Lords of Magic (PC) - Heroes of Might and Magic. Kinda. With less replay value but a strangely gripping gameplay loop.

--Stunts (PC) - so, it's like Forza Horizon Hot Wheels but the graphics suck but in return you get to go bananas making very dangerous tracks.
--Stunts (PC) - so, it's like Forza Horizon Hot Wheels but the graphics suck but in return you get to go bananas making very dangerous tracks.

--Intelligent Qube (PS1) - the less definitive edition of Wetrix without all that stuff but instead a guy gets crushed by unstable blocks
--Intelligent Qube (PS1) - the less definitive edition of Wetrix without all that stuff but instead a guy gets crushed by unstable blocks

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

I feel like visual novels don't get much love here.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 floppydics

@SolidGame_basic said:

I feel like visual novels don't get much love here.

The Dangonronpa series are probably my favourite. It's beary good, Puu-huuu!!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

@R10nu: +1 for Outer Wilds, that was a great bit of fun, I might have to add that to my library before it leaves Game Pass

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Sins of solar empire used to be advertised by many sites, sold well and won IGN PC game of the year. Kind of crazy its called a forgotten game now but I kind of agree.

Stellaris is a Paradox Interactive game. It might not be popular with casual but people into 4X buys Paradox product and it sold really well for the crowd. Its one of the best selling paradox game.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts

Let’s see a series long forgotten but i would say enjoyable is Myst and Riven. Nothing like exploring a pieceful world.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Valkyrie Profile: lenneth & Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Remember Me 2013

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#27 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

@lamprey263: Outer Wilds was a great adventure game. Very unique in the mix of other games available now.

@adsparky: Folklore was a cool idea but the load times was absolutely terrible. Whoever was the lead needs to avoid gaming all together.

@BassMan:Singularity was a very solid game. I enjoyed it a lot.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 judaspete

@floppydics said:

@judaspete: Never played Heavy metal: Geomatrix, checked it out on youtube looks pretty interesting as I loved Power Stone. I still regret selling my DC and games years ago all them awesome games I lost. so I bought another and am slowly building up a small collection. I have Override mech city Brawl on steam but still unplayed. I'll install and gice it a whirl on your recommendation :)

Cool. What Dreamcast games have you gotten, and what are you looking for? Just curious.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Halo 1-3

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 judaspete
@Seabas989 said:
  • Ape Escape
  • Baten Kaitos
  • Bushido Blade
  • Kung Fu Chaos
  • Driver series

I have not played Kung Fu Chaos, but will agree with the rest of your list. Did you ever play Baten Kaitos Origins?

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@Atomic1977 said:

Let’s see a series long forgotten but i would say enjoyable is Myst and Riven. Nothing like exploring a pieceful world.

I wouldn't call Myst forgotten since it just got rereleased on the Switch.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2066 Posts

Phantom Crash, great mech game customisation options were really good for the time.

Yager, loved the environments and aesthetic of this game, ability to switch modes on the ship was a great mechanic.

Colony wars, nuff said.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Z, Otogi, Blinx, ski-doo, Nier etc...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Unfarted, Dad of War,The Flop of Us. lol :P

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidGame_basic

@SecretPolice said:

Titanfail?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SecretPolice

@SolidGame_basic said:
@SecretPolice said:

Titanfail?

Mario 100,000,000? lol :P

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidGame_basic

@SecretPolice said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@SecretPolice said:

Titanfail?

Call of Poopie?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SecretPolice

@SolidGame_basic said:
@SecretPolice said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@SecretPolice said:

Titanfail?

Call of Poopie?

I don't even.....

:P

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 floppydics

@judaspete said:
@floppydics said:

Cool. What Dreamcast games have you gotten, and what are you looking for? Just curious.

Here's a few (they were mostly cheaper ones I've rebought) I've got about 5 or 6 more but they are pretty shitty ones lol Used to have Soul Caliber, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Shenmue, Space Channel 5, Power Stone, Soul Reaver, SF3, Virtua Tennis etc

I'll get them back one day but I could kick myself for selling them years ago :( The value of games I stupidly sold or gave away across loads of consoles is insane. I regret selling my megadrive most but I'm building up a modest collection for that again but retro prices on choice titles are a bit insane.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Anything by Spiderweb Software.

Loading Video...

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

Myth 2: Soulblighter

Loading Video...

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 judaspete

@floppydics said:

Here's a few (they were mostly cheaper ones I've rebought) I've got about 5 or 6 more but they are pretty shitty ones lol Used to have Soul Caliber, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Shenmue, Space Channel 5, Power Stone, Soul Reaver, SF3, Virtua Tennis etc

I'll get them back one day but I could kick myself for selling them years ago :( The value of games I stupidly sold or gave away across loads of consoles is insane. I regret selling my megadrive most but I'm building up a modest collection for that again but retro prices on choice titles are a bit insane.

Those are some good ones you have already. But yeah, stuff like Power Stone and Skies of Arcadia go for quite a bit these days.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Tribes: Ascend and its kin, probably the best online FPS games I played.

Planetside 2 for its crazy scale and teamwork

Dungeon Keeper

Myst is a good pick I guess it is more or less forgotten.

There have been some pretty cool point and clicks made by Wadjet Eye.

Natural Selection 2.

I think a game called Sacrifice had a great idea. And I think it would work well when tweaked and modernized.

Old style Prince of Persia.

Swat games.

I think Battlezone did something cool that would do well in a modern coat. At the time it was so cool.

Mario Strikers. Probably the best soccer-like game ever made. Seems to be nigh forgotten.

Of course Populous: The Beginning. I keep mentioning this because they should make a new one already.

Caesar series, Zeus, Cleopatra and the like were economic RTS type games that were excellent and seem to be a forgotten art?

Games like Wave Race 64.

Freespace 2.

I could go on for a while really.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@sakaixx said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Sins of solar empire used to be advertised by many sites, sold well and won IGN PC game of the year. Kind of crazy its called a forgotten game now but I kind of agree.

Stellaris is a Paradox Interactive game. It might not be popular with casual but people into 4X buys Paradox product and it sold really well for the crowd. Its one of the best selling paradox game.

I agree that it's popular within the genre. I'm speaking at a higher level, as the genre itself is probably unheard of for most people.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#45 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

There's a few but, a hidden gem that not many people are familiar with is PopoloCrois on the PSP. It's the only release in the west apart from the 3DS title: Return to PoPoLoCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale. But anyway, the PSP game is from what I know, a butchered down remake of the Japan only PS1 games...it was enough to make me a fan though. If you like JRPG's, it's a must play in my opinion.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

Iggy's Wreckin Balls, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, and like.... the Wii U...

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@judaspete said:
@Seabas989 said:
  • Ape Escape
  • Baten Kaitos
  • Bushido Blade
  • Kung Fu Chaos
  • Driver series

I have not played Kung Fu Chaos, but will agree with the rest of your list. Did you ever play Baten Kaitos Origins?

I have it but I have yet to play it. It came out pretty late in the GC life cycle so it's been stuck on my backlog.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 judaspete

@Seabas989: Ha! Yeah, Origins was doomed coming out so late. Definitely should have been released on Wii instead. It's too bad too, I actually enjoyed it more than Eternal Wings. It reuses a lot of assets from the first game, and there is some padding at the end where you backtrack to fight old bosses over again, but overall I like the story more and how they reworked the combat. I recommend digging it out of your backlog whenever you have... um, 80 or so hours to kill.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7165 Posts

Barbie play house. love dressing ken up he looks so cute.

and dora the explorer was so fun to play.

lmao just kidding

king quest for the pc why back in the 80's was great for there time.

but my favorite game of all time was a ps2 game called drakken 2 at the ancient gates. wish they reboot that game and the order of flames the first one.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#50 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

The Ninja (Ninja Princess)

Space Harrier

Wonder Boy in Monster Land

Psychic World (Master System)