For PS360 owners.Which do you prefer unlocking, trophies or achievements?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Do you like the visual setup of trophies or the simplistic number system of achievements?

yanbuco2712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 yanbuco2712
Member since 2006 • 456 Posts

Trophies, but itsjust because they make a better sound when unlocked.

Otherwise both are pointless.

Valiant_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Valiant_Rebel
Member since 2009 • 4197 Posts

Neither, really. Cosmetic awards do not appeal to me all that much.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

Unlocking in-game content is usually preferable :P

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Trophies for the fact that ps3 is my main system. In the end its the same.

zidan4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 zidan4000
Member since 2006 • 3167 Posts
trophies because you get a special reward when you finish a game 100% unlike the achievement system which doesnt give you anything special when getting 1000 points , in the end it is all the same stuff with different layouts.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
The trophy system has a more rewarding inscentive when showing off your mad skillz, instead of renting games to buffer your gamerscore at least plat medals are hard to obtain so not everyone can rent NHL2k10 get the acheivments sans a few of them in an hour and return it saying it didn't work. But really in the end it doesnt really matter on either side, they both give a nice mental incentive to play more/harder.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Trophies, but itsjust because they make a better sound when unlocked.

Otherwise both are pointless.

yanbuco2712
same
todd2r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 todd2r
Member since 2009 • 2615 Posts

i really dont care. i just play. whatever i unlock is cool with me, but i dont sit down and try to get all the achievements and trophies

longtonguecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 longtonguecat
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts

Steam Ahievements? :P

Nah, I generally like achievements over trophies because my friends bug me about my low Gamerscore. :P

heywtfman7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 heywtfman7
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

trophies, i like the level system and the more rewarding experience for earning them. Achievements got bland after awhile

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#12 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

They're the same damn thing. Anyone who says otherwise most likely has some kind of agenda.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
Don't really care for either, but I do think the trophy system is better because of the levels and platinums. It's more rewarding to gain a trophy level or get a platinum. Achievements are just a number. No levels to gain, no special achievement for unlocking all others... it's just a number.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GreySeal9

trophies, i like the level system and the more rewarding experience for earning them. Achievements got bland after awhile

heywtfman7

More rewarding experience in what way?

nitromuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 nitromuffin
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

trophys for some reason its addicting

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

There is nothing different between the two would be my answer.

you'll get alot of people that say trophies are better with no more of a reason then they are a Sony copy...invention but in reality one can find challenging achievements and challenging trophies and one can rent a game on ps3 and get some easy trophies too bolster their level just as they can achievements.

Though achievements are a far better and more reliable system they were standard from day one, ones that dont work are usually updated, I have quite a few trophies on ps3 games that just won't unlock and just won't sync they'll either appear on my list but not on my online profile, or will appear on my online profile and wont appear in my sync list or they just won't unlock regardless of the meeting of requirements and while this happens on 360 the appearing and disapearing of achievements has never happend for me personally.

Sony needs to get off their butts and work on the problems the trophy system has compared to achievements, but in the end they are both worthless you don't get any thing except personal pride and or pride from others or jealousy and hte like.

They are just numbers in the end.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GreySeal9

Don't really care for either, but I do think the trophy system is better because of the levels and platinums. It's more rewarding to gain a trophy level or get a platinum. Achievements are just a number. No levels to gain, no special achievement for unlocking all others... it's just a number. Doolz2024

Ridiculous.

Trophy levels is just a number as well. There's nothing more tangible or substantial about it whatsoever. It's just layed out it a less matter-of-factly.

Also, the "reward" of achievements manifests in making the number bigger just as it manifests in throphies in making the number bigger so the level is higher.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GreySeal9

They are just numbers in the end.

Bingo. But some people will try to act like somehow a trophy is something more. The idea is silly beyond words.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
Don't really care for either, but I do think the trophy system is better because of the levels and platinums. It's more rewarding to gain a trophy level or get a platinum. Achievements are just a number. No levels to gain, no special achievement for unlocking all others... it's just a number. Doolz2024
a level is just a number.... a trophy is just a trophy. you mean If I get 1000 my number doesn't go up just like if i get a certain amount of trophies my level doesn't go up? you dont get a special achievement for unlocking all others you just get a platinum, I unlock all others and i get all 1000.... As I said in my last post you will get many Sony users that will say trophies are better for no more valid reason then personal preference then try to pass it off as factual evidence.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I like the trophy system more. The trophies show how hard they are to get.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Trophies, but only because it's a little bit more meaningful than just a number for achievements.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GreySeal9

Trophies, but only because it's a little bit more meaningful than just a number for achievements.

Gxgear

They're both just numbers.

yoyofroyoyoyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 yoyofroyoyoyo
Member since 2010 • 501 Posts
They should just do away with this gimmicky **** and focus on actually making good games.
yoyofroyoyoyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 yoyofroyoyoyo
Member since 2010 • 501 Posts
last gen ruled none of that lame ass achievements LOL...so **** lame
heywtfman7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 heywtfman7
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="heywtfman7"]

GreySeal9

Because you actually gain levels for your trophies, also platinums give you a reward for getting everything. If you ask me thats a lot better than points that ultimately add up to a large boring number.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="heywtfman7"]

heywtfman7

Because you actually gain levels for your trophies, also platinums give you a reward for getting everything. If you ask me thats a lot better than points that ultimately add up to a large boring number.

Fair enough I guess though I think you guys really give too much weight to superficial differences.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Doolz2024

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]Don't really care for either, but I do think the trophy system is better because of the levels and platinums. It's more rewarding to gain a trophy level or get a platinum. Achievements are just a number. No levels to gain, no special achievement for unlocking all others... it's just a number. GreySeal9

Ridiculous.

Trophy levels is just a number as well. There's nothing more tangible or substantial about it whatsoever. It's just layed out it a less matter-of-factly.

Also, the "reward" of achievements manifests in making the number bigger just as it manifests in throphies in making the number bigger so the level is higher.

Gaining levels and getting a platinum (for those that actually care) is far more rewarding than just increasing Gamerscore IMO. I don't care if you agree or not. Like I said, i don't really care about either, but I do think the trophy system is better mainly because of the platinums.
stevoqwerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 stevoqwerty
Member since 2006 • 4029 Posts

I love achievements, they're just too addictive. Which is a really bad thing, they take the fun out of the games. But trophies, I don't even notice they're there. Like I was playing MAG and a trophy pop up and I was like "what is that?". I prefer no trophy/achievement.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GreySeal9

I love achievements, they're just too addictive. Which is a really bad thing, they take the fun out of the games. But trophies, I don't even notice they're there. Like I was playing MAG and a trophy pop up and I was like "what is that?". I prefer no trophy/achievement.

stevoqwerty

They are no less visible than achievements. :roll:

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]Don't really care for either, but I do think the trophy system is better because of the levels and platinums. It's more rewarding to gain a trophy level or get a platinum. Achievements are just a number. No levels to gain, no special achievement for unlocking all others... it's just a number. Doolz2024

Ridiculous.

Gaining levels and getting a platinum (for those that actually care) is far more rewarding than just increasing Gamerscore IMO. I don't care if you agree or not. Like I said, i don't really care about either, but I do think the trophy system is better mainly because of the platinums.

I didn't take issue with you liking the trophy system better. That's your prerogative. It's the "it's just a number" logic that is silly to me. They are both just numbers. They are merely represented differently.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Doolz2024
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]a level is just a number.... a trophy is just a trophy. you mean If I get 1000 my number doesn't go up just like if i get a certain amount of trophies my level doesn't go up? you dont get a special achievement for unlocking all others you just get a platinum, I unlock all others and i get all 1000.... As I said in my last post you will get many Sony users that will say trophies are better for no more valid reason then personal preference then try to pass it off as factual evidence.

lol, it's all opinions. Or do you have "factual evidence" that achievements are better? i didn't say something fanboyish like "trophies better. fact" I simply stated why i think it's a better, more rewarding system. Can't see what's wrong with that. I simply think the trophy system is better, and that's coming from someone who plays their 360 a lot more than their PS3.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Platinums...there is nothing like getting a Platinum. Friends look and see that...and it's great.

I do love my 102,000+ Gamerscore though.;)

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
I used to prefer achievements hardcore, but now I like both a lot. I still prefer achievements a little more. I just find it to be a better system, and the simplicity makes it better also.
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Doolz2024
I didn't take issue with you liking the trophy system better. That's your prerogative. It's the "it's just a number" logic that is silly to me. They are both just numbers. They are merely represented differently.GreySeal9
Yes, they are just represented differently. Gamerscore is just merely represented as a number, while trophies are laid out from bronze to gold, with an extra trophy as an 'award' for unlocking all others, as well as a level system that rewards you constantly for earning them. You're always moving towards a new level, whereas with achievements you're just making your GS higher. No other rewards like platinums or anything.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]I didn't take issue with you liking the trophy system better. That's your prerogative. It's the "it's just a number" logic that is silly to me. They are both just numbers. They are merely represented differently.Doolz2024
Yes, they are just represented differently. Gamerscore is just merely represented as a number, while trophies are laid out from bronze to gold, with an extra trophy as an 'award' for unlocking all others, as well as a level system that rewards you constantly for earning them. You're always moving towards a new level, whereas with achievements you're just making your GS higher. No other rewards like platinums or anything.

Trophies=moving towards a higher level.

Achievements=moving towards a higher score.

Both of those=moving towards a higher numeric value.

They are both simply numbers.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Doolz2024

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]I didn't take issue with you liking the trophy system better. That's your prerogative. It's the "it's just a number" logic that is silly to me. They are both just numbers. They are merely represented differently.GreySeal9

Trophies=moving towards a higher level.

Achievements=moving towards a higher score.

Both of those=moving towards a higher numeric value.

They are both simply numbers.

Yeah, and the way the trophy system is set up makes it more rewarding and better IMO.
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#37 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Trophies.

I came about this simply because my Gamerscore should be about 6000 right now. After a crazy little occurance that happened (transfering my profile to another 360, playing games offline on my own 360 with my profile, then uploading my profile back to my 360 thus reducing my Gamerscore back to such and such a number) I lost a lot of motivation in collecting Achievements. I had a ton from The Orange Box, Mass Effect, Fable 2 and Lost Odyssey, and now most of them are gone. :(

Save files are still there but I manually have to unlock all of them again. That is why I just prefer grabbing trophies more. No mistake yet. :P

dachase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dachase
Member since 2005 • 808 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]a level is just a number.... a trophy is just a trophy. you mean If I get 1000 my number doesn't go up just like if i get a certain amount of trophies my level doesn't go up? you dont get a special achievement for unlocking all others you just get a platinum, I unlock all others and i get all 1000.... As I said in my last post you will get many Sony users that will say trophies are better for no more valid reason then personal preference then try to pass it off as factual evidence.Doolz2024
lol, it's all opinions. Or do you have "factual evidence" that achievements are better? i didn't say something fanboyish like "trophies better. fact" I simply stated why i think it's a better, more rewarding system. Can't see what's wrong with that. I simply think the trophy system is better, and that's coming from someone who plays their 360 a lot more than their PS3.

Just ignore him, biggest Lemming on here, he really needs to sell his PS3 and be done with it

iano-87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 iano-87
Member since 2010 • 685 Posts

i prefer achievments because they were there first. you want to fight about it?

dachase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dachase
Member since 2005 • 808 Posts

Trophies for the visual factor. Like someone has already said, you get 1000 points in a game and thats it, a number represents what you've done, the tier setup of trophies feels more rewarding, you get a platinum on a game and it feels like you've "achieved" something (see what i did there ;) )

Sony copied MS but they improved on the achievement system IMO

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

It doesn't matter to me. I just like unlocking them because they add replay value in some cases.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Either is good to me. A slight edge would go to Trophies since I like the leveling and the Platinums. However I like the sound Achievements make when you get one more than Trophies. Half the time I don't even realize I've gotten a Trophy, but you can't miss an Achievement.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Trophies are essentially the successor to achievements.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I like getting individual Achievements more than individual Trophies ("Bloop" sounds better than "bling") But I prefer Platinums to 1000/1000 GS.The trophy breakdown of levels/tiers is better than one big growing number.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

GreySeal9

They're both just numbers.

If you hadn't noticed trophycards shows 4 types of trophy counts, as well as your latest trophy/platinum/games played depending on how you customize it. Gamercard just shows a number which really doesn't have any bearings to differentiate between someone who plays a lot of games but never finishes them or a completist who gets 1000/1000. It comes down to preference of course and that's just my personal reason to why I like it better.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Easily achievements

Amit_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Amit_88
Member since 2007 • 170 Posts

I personally prefer achievements, I always view trophies as a bit off a rip off plus I tend to play my xbox more than my PS3

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

Achievements

why? because it all adds into one score while the trophies don't.

Xire_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#49 Xire_XII
Member since 2007 • 3092 Posts

Trophies. Finishing a game completely and getting a platinum is great. It's like the icing on the top for people who care about such. The sound of a trophy popping up is actually sort of nice and I like having it pop up in the upper-right hand corner rather than near the bottom in the middle. I also like seeing the image for the trophy when I get it instead of backing out to check what it looks like.

While they are both just numbers in the end, the leveling system has better presentation. Having some gigantic number to your name doesn't really translate well for me. I can tell you I don't know a single person on my XBL list's gamerscore but I at least know where a couple of my PSN buddies level is. In the end, I'm not saying achievements are outdated because I still use both systems as a way of a guide to completing games completely. Perhaps killing 6,666 enemies doesn't really mean anything for the game itself rather than a shallow achievement but it's something to do at least!

Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#50 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts
I think I like the trophy system better, since gamerpoints can be acquired by just getting tons of cheap achievements without doing the difficult ones in each game. On the PS3 on the other hand, platinum trophies distinguish people who really complete games to the max. That being said, I don't really care much for trophy/achievement hunting, so I've never gotten 1000/1000 on a 360 game or a Platinum on a PS3 title.