Flappy Bird Reels in Ridiculous Sums of Money

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

"Flappy Bird is raking in around $50,000 USD daily, thanks to in-app ads. Vietnamese developer Dong Nguyen revealed the financial details and discussed his game's success in an interview with The Verge.

"The reason Flappy Bird is so popular is that it happens to be something different from mobile games today and is a really good game to compete against each other," Nguyen told The Verge. "People in the same classroom can play and compete easily because [Flappy Bird] is simple to learn, but you need skill to get a high score."

Nguyen also said he has no plans to charge for the game or even update it.

The free-to-play title — which has been downloaded 50 million times — has become an indie game sensation on the App Store and Google Play Store, sitting at the top of the charts for close to a month."

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

Interesting topic and article. I'm removing your "butthurt creme" pic however, because it does nothing to aid the conversation and just looks foolish. (Also the Hermit comments. This has NOTHING to do with PC and this isn't fanboy wars.)

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Wat?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61522 Posts

Why did this turn into a PC thread?

Shielder, maybe you should stop swooning whenever a PC gamer passes by.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By clyde46

@WadeFan said:

Interesting topic and article. I'm removing your "butthurt creme" pic however, because it does nothing to aid the conversation and just looks foolish. (Also the Hermit comments. This has NOTHING to do with PC and this isn't fanboy wars.)

I like you.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46493 Posts

lol @this thread

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Shielder embarassing himself as usual and getting owned as always.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shielder7

@WadeFan said:

More like you stole it, and it kinda does since games like this probably are why the PCs 25 billion estimate is so high. Games like this are the ones sustaining PC gaming not AAA big budget games.

Oh and an FYI if you plan on editing every post on system wars that looks foolish you're going to be a while.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrYaotubo

@Shielder7 said:

@WadeFan said:

More like you stole it, and it kinda does since games like this probably are why the PCs 25 billion estimate is so high. Games like this are the ones sustaining PC gaming not AAA big budget games.

Oh and an FYI if you plan on editing every post on system wars that looks foolish you're going to be a while.

You do realise this game isn´t even on the PC right? Or are you that stupid and desperate?

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@Shielder7 said:

@WadeFan said:

Guess what genius this is a phone game not a PC one.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@Shielder7 said:

@WadeFan said:

:'(

lol shielder

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Shielder7

@MrYaotubo said:

@Shielder7 said:

@WadeFan said:

You do realise this game isn´t even on the PC right? Or are you that stupid and desperate?

That's not the argument, PC gaming is such a broad term when someone estimates 25 billion they're probably including tablet and mobile games as well. Besides it's only a matter of time before it will be on PC if it isn't already anyway.

Also realize isn't spelled with an s unless you're outside of North America.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

BRB, developing Flappy Bird rip off.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrYaotubo

@Shielder7 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Shielder7 said:

@WadeFan said:

That's not the argument, PC gaming is such a broad term when someone estimates 25 billion they're probably including tablet and mobile games as well. Besides it's only a matter of time before it will be on PC if it isn't already anyway.

Nope,not included on the PC numbers because it isn´t a PC game,but nice try strawman,the desperation is funny to see. ;)

You know what counts though? All the multiple million Wii Sports and variations of those games or all the kinect stuff that inflates the console numbers by billions,in fact,those are among the best selling console games of all time,so hey,adding to the overall console numbers wich it´s still smaller than the PC side of things,and the PC is one platform,while the console numbers are all of them combined,still lower though lol.

Also,I hope you realise I don´t care how you think realise should be typed,especially since there´s no wrong way to type it,the fact that you even mention that shows you don´t have much to add to this failure of a thread.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shielder7

@MrYaotubo said:

Nope,not included on the PC numbers because it isn´t a PC game,but nice try strawman,the desperation is funny to see. ;)

How do you know what they include and don't include? PC gaming is such a broad term how can you know unless they specify? Hell they could include Kick Starter games, facebook and Mac for all anyone knows, Why not they use early access numbers. Using tablet and Mobile games in PC games overall estimates isn't exactly far fetched especially when the numbers are so big yet AAA games usually get ported to PC as almost an after thought.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrYaotubo

@Shielder7 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

How do you know what they include and don't include? PC gaming is such a broad term how can you know unless they specify? Hell they could include Kick Starter games, facebook and Mac for all anyone knows, Why not they use early access numbers. Using tablet and Mobile games in PC games overall estimates isn't exactly far fetched especially when the numbers are so big yet AAA games usually get ported to PC as almost an after thought.

Damn,you´re really dumb. The numbers released include windows,mac,linux and browser games wich is all PC gaming(or you wanted to just count windows and then on the console side count every single console against a single PC OS? because that´s really sad and it seems that you were) and they include tablets and mobile in a different slice of the pie,just like the PCGA graphs show,they don´t include phone games wich this one clearly is. Also including Kickstarter? They obviously don´t include the money raised lol,who even thinks that would be a thing aside from you? And let´s assume that they did,it would be such a small portion that wouldn´t even reach 1% lol. They would only include the actual sales of the game. And early acess? Those are actual sales numbers so obviously they are included because they are copies sold.

Facebook stuff as shown a few days ago in a SW thread from a GS article is at an all time low and barely impacts the numbers these days,not anywhere near as much as it did a few years back and even then,the PC software revenue grew another 5 billion(from the 20 Billion in 2012),so it´s not facebook stuff that is increasing that number to the degree you´re implying. At all. Steam also had massive growth with 15 million new active accounts in the space of 3 months(september to december,the highest steam growth ever) to have now 75 million active steam accounts(not overall accounts,just those that bought at least a game in the last month).

Finally,AAA games don´t get ported to the PC as an afterthought most of the time,in fact,they are generally released on time with some exceptions and the ports are usually far,far better versions of the game,so I don´t think anyone really cares all that much,not to mention that the AAA side of the market is a very,very small part of gaming with only a few releases that fall under that category every year,and as it is,many of them aren´t even that good or are yearly franchises. At least 80% of the AAA games are released on the PC anyway,so there´s very little in that side that the PC misses.

Anyway just stop dude,we all know you are butthurt by the massive PC growth but seriously,don´t be so affected by it,it´s just games man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#17 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

Shielder7, don't let what MrYaotubo replies to you, get to you. Even if you two both have valid points, you won't come to an understanding, it is best if you request for this thread to be locked and move on.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clyde46

@glitter said:

Shielder7, don't let what MrYaotubo replies to you, get to you. Even if you two both have valid points, you won't come to an understanding, it is best if you request for this thread to be locked and move on.

Who in the blue hell are you?!

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@glitter said:

Who in the blue hell are you?!

I believe he is a Green Sonic

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I feel sorry for TC. Poor kid.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

That is an impressive ratio: work put in / $$$ return.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#22  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

LOL Mobile games

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

**** flappy bird in his little flappy face.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

I don't know whats worse? the people that play this.... or the ripped off mario sprites.... or... humanity.

I vote all of the above.

Played it for 10 minutes.... bored... so crap.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shielder7

@MrYaotubo said:

@Shielder7 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

Damn,you´re really dumb. The numbers released include windows,mac,linux and browser games wich is all PC gaming(or you wanted to just count windows and then on the console side count every single console against a single PC OS? because that´s really sad and it seems that you were) and they include tablets and mobile in a different slice of the pie,just like the PCGA graphs show,they don´t include phone games wich this one clearly is. Also including Kickstarter? They obviously don´t include the money raised lol,who even thinks that would be a thing aside from you? And let´s assume that they did,it would be such a small portion that wouldn´t even reach 1% lol. They would only include the actual sales of the game. And early acess? Those are actual sales numbers so obviously they are included because they are copies sold.

Ok first you need to calm down because it's getting really hard to understand what you're trying to say, and your grammar and spelling just went out the window.

I never said anything about counting consoles against OS, I think that's what you were trying to say but I'm really not sure. What I can get from this is you're saying they're not counting Tablet and/or Mobile game sales in overall PC gaming profits and 25 billion estimates, and I'm asking "How do know?"

PC is just a broad term now a days you don't know what they could be including. I can't find anything recent on what they include or don't include for the 25 billion estimate or otherwise. Truth is you don't know and until you show evidence that you do I have to assume this is just pulled from your behind.

@MrYaotubo said:

Anyway just stop dude,we all know you are butthurt by the massive PC growth but seriously,don´t be so affected by it,it´s just games man.

Well I might be if consoles weren't making record breaking sales, so I'm not sure what I have to be butt hurt about.

@MrYaotubo said:

@Shielder7 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

Finally,AAA games don´t get ported to the PC as an afterthought most of the time,in fact,they are generally released on time with some exceptions and the ports are usually far,far better versions of the game,so I don´t think anyone really cares all that much,not to mention that the AAA side of the market is a very,very small part of gaming with only a few releases that fall under that category every year,and as it is,many of them aren´t even that good or are yearly franchises. At least 80% of the AAA games are released on the PC anyway,so there´s very little in that side that the PC misses.

I'll just leave you to watch this, while walking away grinning.

Shaming PC Ports Because Why Not?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8545-Shaming-PC-Ports-Because-Why-Not

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@Shielder7: Your last post just goes to show how great the PC community is, thanks for the reminder that those dedicated PC Gamers out there make this platform the best by fixing broken ports and making mods for games like Skyrim to make it leagues beyond what your PS4 or Xbox One can do. PC Master Race Reaffirmed.

I knew you was a PC gamer underneath, good show sir.

as for flappy birds? meh... the 735k peak players on DoTA 2 today and anyone else in the community does not honestly care. how is that.... shadow fall... or forza? bwhahahaa....

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shielder7
@MBirdy88 said:

@Shielder7: Your last post just goes to show how great the PC community is, thanks for the reminder that those dedicated PC Gamers out there make this platform the best by fixing broken ports and making mods for games like Skyrim to make it leagues beyond what your PS4 or Xbox One can do. PC Master Race Reaffirmed.

as for flappy birds? meh... the 735k peak players on DoTA 2 today and anyone else in the community does not honestly care. how is that.... shadow fall... or forza? bwhahahaa....

You're welcome, never said I had a problem with the PC community (System Wars PC community excluded) I watch Jim Sterling crap and Marcus Beer regularly and they're PC supporters for the most part.

And you are partially right I was at one time a big PC gamer in the BG 2, KotOR, NWN days. BG 2 was my first PC game and Planescape Torment and Diablo 2 is still one of my highest ranking games. That was before the days Bioware was Bioware before it was devoured by the fat **** known as EA.

Than I tried EQ 2 which sucked, NWN 2 sucked, played WoW for awhile until I asked my self WTF am I doing and decided to become a productive member of society once again, also in this short time period I needed to upgrade twice and get a new PC so bullocks to anyone who says PC gaming is cheaper. Not to mention the fringing headaches of other games I might have like if not for troubleshooting and optimization. I mean have you ever tried to play Oblivion with a controller.......... HAVE YOU! Go ahead try I dare you.

Yeah so I came to the realization that the games I liked playing weren't on PCs anymore since the only RTS I liked was Star Craft and it wasn't exactly my favorite game, so I went back to consoles and I've never looked back. Well that's not entirely true I looked back twice once with Diablo 3 and The Old Republic.

"How could I ever turn my back on PC gaming"

Thought I when I first picked these games up. My console scrub mind must of been too dumbed down to remember the enrichment of the PC gaming experience. Than I started playing them and was like.........

"Oh Yeah I Remember Now"

Oh and DoTA 2

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#28 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Am I seriously the first person who mentions that this game has ripoffed Mario's sprite artwork??

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#29 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

For every game like Flappy Bird, hundreds more flop into obscurity.

Smartphone gaming isn't what it's all hyped about, sometimes, a smaller market might get you more sales.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@Shielder7 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

You're welcome, never said I had a problem with the PC community (System Wars PC community excluded) I watch Jim Sterling crap and Marcus Beer regularly and they're PC supporters for the most part.

And you are partially right I was at one time a big PC gamer in the BG 2, KotOR, NWN days. BG 2 was my first PC game and Planescape Torment and Diablo 2 is still one of my highest ranking games. That was before the days Bioware was Bioware before it was devoured by the fat **** known as EA.

Than I tried EQ 2 which sucked, NWN 2 sucked, played WoW for awhile until I asked my self WTF am I doing and decided to become a productive member of society once again, also in this short time period I needed to upgrade twice and get a new PC so bullocks to anyone who says PC gaming is cheaper. Not to mention the fringing headaches of other games I might have like if not for troubleshooting and optimization. I mean have you ever tried to play Oblivion with a controller.......... HAVE YOU! Go ahead try I dare you.

Yeah so I came to the realization that the games I liked playing weren't on PCs anymore since the only RTS I liked was Star Craft and it wasn't exactly my favorite game, so I went back to consoles and I've never looked back. Well that's not entirely true I looked back twice once with Diablo 3 and The Old Republic.

"How could I ever turn my back on PC gaming"

Thought I when I first picked these games up. My console scrub mind must of been too dumbed down to remember the enrichment of the PC gaming experience. Than I started playing them and was like.........

"Oh Yeah I Remember Now"

Oh and DoTA 2

Why..... would you ... play ... oblivion with a controller anyway?

Nice cherry picked examples of failed mega-pc games... which happens to all platforms, sounds seriously legit sir. Didn't like WoW .... expected SWTOR to be different.... some research you must of done.

nice comic strip. you could say that about any MP game

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

That's nothing compared to that company that was making a million a day.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k

@Shielder7 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Shielder7 said:

@WadeFan said:

LMAO, PC gaming numbers don't include tablets or mobile games as well. Where do you get this misinformation ?

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

@bbkkristian said:

Am I seriously the first person who mentions that this game has ripoffed Mario's sprite artwork??

YES!!! Literally NOBODY has mentioned that!!!!

.....apart from everybody