First video game you ever played by genre?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

If you were old enough to remember.

First game period was Super Mario World at my cousin's house on his Super Nintendo. Probably around 1994. I was 4 years old.

First beat'em up was Super Double Dragon. Shortly after playing Mario World. Most likely 94.

First adventure game was A Link to The Past. Again cousin's SNES. Year was probably mid 94.

First fighting game was SFII again on the SNES. I remember I thought Bison was a cop lol. Around 1995.

First shooter was probably Doom or Quake in 1995/96. Or it may have been Duke Nukem on that old crappy computer.

First RPG was secret of Mana. Around 1996. 5-6 years old. Can't exactly remember.

First strategy game was a demo of AoE Rise of Rome on my old Windows 98. I believe it was around 1999/2000.

That's all I can vividly remember.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46296 Posts

I played most of the genres first on consoles.

I started playing RTS, First Person and Third Person Shooters on PC.

@Juub1990 said:

First strategy game was a demo of AoE Rise of Rome on my old Windows 98. I believe it was around 1999/2000.

Same, but for me it was the demo of the original Age of Empires. Around that time to I assume. 97-98 something.

RekonMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RekonMeister
Member since 2016 • 784 Posts

First good game.

Columns.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Juub1990

@rekonmeister said:

First good game.

Columns.

When was it?

@R4gn4r0k said:

Same, but for me it was the demo of the original Age of Empires. Around that time to I assume. 97-98 something.

This game was so awesome. I remember getting so sad I couldn't continue past the demo. Think I had a Roman Hoplite or something. Tried to upgrade to a Phalanx but needed the full game.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

First game as far as I remember was Battle City. Genre? Maybe action, dunno.

First fighting game - Virtua Fighter

First racer - Daytona USA

First shooter - Virtua Cop

First horror game - AITD

First RTS - Dune, I think.

First RPG- Legend Of Zelda

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k

@Juub1990 said:

This game was so awesome. I remember getting so sad I couldn't continue past the demo. Think I had a Roman Hoplite or something. Tried to upgrade to a Phalanx but needed the full game.

It was this demo that everyone was playing too. Everyone I knew that had a gaming PC, had the AOE demo.

We were all very happy when we finally got the full version, and the expansion was so great too.

My first FPS was Duke Nukem 3D (could have been the demo too, but I also remember seeing the full game). But the first FPS I really got into was Half Life. First TPS was Max Payne... I think.

RekonMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RekonMeister
Member since 2016 • 784 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@rekonmeister said:

First good game.

Columns.

When was it?

@R4gn4r0k said:

1995, 5 years old.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Juub1990
@R4gn4r0k said:

It was this demo that everyone was playing too. Everyone I knew that had a gaming PC, had the AOE demo.

We were all very happy when we finally got the full version, and the expansion was so great too.

My first FPS was Duke Nukem 3D (could have been the demo too, but I also remember seeing the full game). But the first FPS I really got into was Half Life. First TPS was Max Payne... I think.

Yeah that's exactly this one. I got the full version way later and actually played a lot of AoE II before playing the full version of AoE. Needless to say, the game wasn't as amazing as I remembered it because AoE II improved pretty much everything.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Platformer - Jungle Hunt.

Beat 'em up - Double Dragon 1.

Fighter - Street Fighter 1.

RPG - Phantasy Star.

Action rpg - Secret of Mana.

Action platformer - Either the first Ninja Gaiden or Castlevania.

Stealth - Metal Gear.

3d stealth - Tenchu.

FPS - Wolf 3d.

2d shooter (or whatever) - Space Invaders.

Sports - Nintendo World Cup. I would say Punchout but I don't feel that one counts.

Dungeon crawler - Legacy of the Wizard.

RTS - Starcraft.

Survival horror - Super Mario Sunshine Resident Evil.

Adventure (point and click) - Shadowgate.

Adventure - The Legend of Zelda.

Action Adventure - Battle of Olympus.

Racing - Either Excite Bike or something in the arcades.

---

Sooo, those are all I can remember off the top of my head. Might have butchered some genre definitions there.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#10  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Juub1990:

1st Adventure game: Ren and Stimpy Veediots (SNES)

1st racing game: Mario Kart (SNES)

1st fighting game: Super Street Fighter 2 (SNES)

1st RPG: Final Fantasy VII (PS1)

1st horror game: Resident Evil (PS1)

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Shooter: Wolfenstein 3D

Racing: Mario Kart 64

RPG: KOTOR

Point and Click: Myst

Platformer: Super Mario 64

Action Adventure: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Strategy: Age of Empires

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k

The first platformers I ever played a lot of were: Krusty, some Kamikaze Squirrel and Looney Tunes on SNES

They were pretty hard from what I remember, but they had funny characters, so that eased the pain I guess :P

Gotta say, Super mario Bros 3 was a looooooot better xD

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
  • Platformer: Super Mario Bros.
  • RPG: Pokemon... Gold?
  • Strategy: Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
  • Action Adventure: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • Racing: Need for Speed II SE
  • Fighting: Street Fighter II (some variant, don't remember which)
  • Shooter: Wolfenstein 3D
  • Action: Contra

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts
  • Racing - Auto-Racing (Intellivison)
  • Shmup - Astrosmash (Intellivision)
  • Sports - Major League Baseball (Intellivison)
  • Action - Armor Battle (Intellivison)
  • Puzzle - Snafu (Intellivsion)
  • Strategy - Sea Battle (Intellivision)
  • Platformer - Super Mario Bros. (NES)
  • Run 'n gun - Contra (NES)
  • Beat 'em up - Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis)
  • Fighting - Street Fighter 2 (PC)
  • FPS - Dark Forces (PC)
  • Rail Shooter - Rebel Assault II (PC)
  • Space Sim - TIE Fighter (PC)
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58975 Posts

Oh shit, that was too long ago to remember.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

my first game was super Mario bros.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#17  Edited By quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

The first video game I ever remember playing was the original Legend of Zelda in early 1995, I was 3 years old.

360mli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 360mli
Member since 2009 • 339 Posts

Mario Brothers 1

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

First ever was Pong on a simple console in 1977, I was 4.

Then sports handhelds from Mattel electronics like Head 2 Head baseball and football in late 70's early 1980s

Then a hanheld Donkey Kong in 1983

Then TPS on Commodore 64: Commando and Who Dares, Wins in 1984-85

Got my Sega Master system and The Ninja a TPS of sorts in which the projectiles are shuriken; Rambo; Kenseiden a sword fighter; Zillion an action adventure sci fi game

My first RPG was in 1988 I believe, Miracle Warriors a JRPG, believe it or not!!

Then the genesis brought me Madden, NBA, NHL, Starflight, Sonic, Techno Cop etc

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Platformer: Super Mario Bros
Beatemup: Batman
3d Beatemup: Onimusha
Action/Adventure: Link to the Past
Horror: Resident Evil
FPS: Unreal
Strategy: Warcraft 2

Beyond that it's a bit more foggy, but I guess I'll edit as I go.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#21 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

RTS: CnC Red Alert

Flying Sim(??): Combat Flight Simulator 2

FPS: Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear

RPG: Morrowind

Driving: Some rally game, cant remember the name of it

thats as much as I can remember from my early gaming days

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Shoot em up: There was a fantastic game on Atari 2600 but I forgot its name. You pick up fuel along the way while shooting enemies. It also had 2 player Co-op.

Racing: Some game from Atari 2600 but I barely remember it unlike the one I mentioned earlier, which I remember pretty well, except its name. But the most recent one that I can remember is Need for Speed 2. I played the original after NFS 2.

Fighting: Street Fighter 2 (Arcades). Used to spend entire day playing this game. It was my childhood darling. Later we bought our own Arcades, so I played there for free.

Beat em up: Freedom Force (PC). I remember enjoying Freedom Force games a lot. I liked female characters a lot.

Strategy: Command and Conquer (PC). Blew me away. The amount of detail in Command and Conquer games was amazing for their time despite showing a lot of action on screen at once. I really sucked at Strategy games back then but I still enjoyed them.

Stealth Action: Metal Gear Solid (PC). I didn't play it until its PC port came out. But I still loved it. It's my favorite Metal Gear game till this day.

RPG: Diablo 2 (PC). Me and my brother spent so much time playing this beast. Loot drops blew us away. Every weapon had different properties and some had special abilities. It was really an amazing experience back then because there weren't shit ton of Diablo clones back then.

Space Sim: Wing Commander 4 (PC). Heard a lot about this game even from non gamers. People used to talk about it, so I finally played it when I got a PC. Loved it.

First Person Shooter: Chasm (PC). It was very old school fast paced shooter with dungeons, puzzles and secrets. It was so addictive but very hard.

Run and Gun: Contra (NES). I don't know why people think it's one of the hardest games ever. For some reason I finished this game multiple times without breaking a sweat. May be because it was my type of game?

Side Scroller: Sonic- The Hedgehog (Sega Genesis). Really liked fast paced nature of the game. Enjoyed it a lot.

Platformer: Mario (NES). It's up there with Street Fighter 2 in terms of my gaming addiction. Me and my friends used to invite each other to play Mario. Fun times.

Survival Horror: Resident Evil 2 (PC). It really blew me away with its stunning art direction. Back then it looked so real and movie like due to its characters and beautiful 2D backgrounds. Game was solid too.

On rail shooter: Virtual Cop 2 (PC). We used to compete against each other by playing this game as fast as possible. Was fun stuff back then.

Third Person Shooter: Max Payne (PC). It's up there with Street Fighter and Mario as well. I can't count how many hours I've spent playing this game on my and friend's PC back then. The game was mind blowing due to its graphics and jaw dropping action. Loved Max Payne's character.

Point and Click Adventure: Broken Sword 2 (PC). Its art direction also blew me away and animations were so well detailed. Just like Strategy games, I also sucked at Adventure games back then but it was equally satisfying to see the story unfold in front of me. I played original Broken Sword after playing this one, and I consider that original game to be the greatest Adventure game ever made.

Action Adventure: Tomb Raider 2 (PC). One of my favorite franchises ever. It all started with the second game in the series. Lara Croft is still one of my favorite characters and I'm always looking forward to her next adventure.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

Shooter: Asteroids (Atari 2600)

RPG: Dragonstomper (Atari 2600)

Racing: Pole Position (Atari 2600)

Side scroller/platformer: Shadow of the Beast (Amiga 500)

Graphic adventure: Maniac Mansion (Amiga 500)

Fight sim: F-19 Stealth Fighter (Amiga 500)

First person racing: Stunt Car Racer (Amiga 500)

Strategy: Overlord (Amiga 500)

Breakout: Megaball (Amiga)

FPS: Doom (PC)

Fighter: Street Fighter II (Arcade)

wildaries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wildaries
Member since 2016 • 499 Posts

tron on intelvision....my mom said she paid huge money for it like ....I beat it with 1 million points.

I never had atri I was in Europe then....never got sega bought a real Panasonic 3do player did gex on that and a few games....there was even movies cuts in those games with the chic from waynes world.

Loading Video...

wildaries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wildaries

omg great game I loved doing all them....I was such a cheap ass I demo everything.

@R4gn4r0k:

wildaries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wildaries

@Renegade_Fury: dude where the tron on itellevision...that's really the only one I remember...

I think the first i saw ever was ping pong lol black and white.....and chess on 8080 I think....then some games on a 386 wang.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Juub1990

@ConanTheStoner said:

Platformer - Jungle Hunt.

Beat 'em up - Double Dragon 1.

Fighter - Street Fighter 1.

RPG - Phantasy Star.

Action rpg - Secret of Mana.

Action platformer - Either the first Ninja Gaiden or Castlevania.

Stealth - Metal Gear.

3d stealth - Tenchu.

FPS - Wolf 3d.

2d shooter (or whatever) - Space Invaders.

Sports - Nintendo World Cup. I would say Punchout but I don't feel that one counts.

Dungeon crawler - Legacy of the Wizard.

RTS - Starcraft.

Survival horror - Super Mario Sunshine Resident Evil.

Adventure (point and click) - Shadowgate.

Adventure - The Legend of Zelda.

Action Adventure - Battle of Olympus.

Racing - Either Excite Bike or something in the arcades.

---

Sooo, those are all I can remember off the top of my head. Might have butchered some genre definitions there.

Either you're older than most of us or you were too poor to afford a newer console lol.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ConanTheStoner
@Juub1990 said:

Either you're older than most of us or you were too poor to afford a newer console lol.

Little bit of both probably lol.

Turned 34 yesterday (ugh), so technically my gaming years should've started with the NES. But yeah, my family was broke as shit at the time so my first console was a hand-me-down Atari 2600 from my older bro. I didn't get my NES until 1989.

Growing up I wouldn't get a new console until at least 2 or 3 years after it came out. Usually I'd split one with a sibling as a Christmas present and then we'd do chores throughout the year to earn money for games. I'm pretty sure the first console I bought close to release with my own money was the PS2.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Juub1990
@ConanTheStoner said:

Little bit of both probably lol.

Turned 34 yesterday (ugh), so technically my gaming years should've started with the NES. But yeah, my family was broke as shit at the time so my first console was a hand-me-down Atari 2600 from my older bro. I didn't get my NES until 1989.

Growing up I wouldn't get a new console until at least 2 or 3 years after it came out. Usually I'd split one with a sibling as Christmas present and then we'd do chores throughout the year to earn money for games. I'm pretty sure the first console I bought close to release with my own money was the PS2.

Oh I was the same lol. Most of the SNES/NES games I played were at my cousin's house who had every game and system that existed I thought.

My parents only bought us a single console and it was the N64 in 1997 I think. My bro and I were so ecstatic...so ecstatic that we actually didn't bother checking if my technologically illiterate dad had bought a game with the system which he hadn't. So we stayed up all night just looking at the console without being able to play.

The next day we went to my cousin's house to play and borrow some games. We took Mario Kart 64 and Mortal Kombat Trilogy I believe. So we went downstairs, fired up the console then my brother asked me where I put the controllers...I looked at him back and told him I thought he had them. So we stayed another night just staring at the "Press Start" screen of both games. We even tried to see if old controllers from our dead TurboGrafx would work on it(they didn't lol).

Good times. Don't wanna sound like an old-timer but kids these days wouldn't survive 5 minutes with that old monochrome, 8-bit 4 AA batteries bulky GameBoy. Good for them they don't have to lol.

I can relate to your youth.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Platformer : Super Mario bros (NES)

Fighting game: Hippodrome (Arcade)

RPG:Dragon Warrior 1(NES....received it free with Nintendo Power sub.)

can't really remember the rest

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Platformer- Super Mario World

Adventure- A Link to the Past

Beat em Up- Turtles in Time

Racing- Mario Kart 64

Shooter- Goldeneye

RPG- Pokemon Yellow

Sports- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

Fighting- Super Smash Bros

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Juub1990

@Cloud_imperium said:

Run and Gun: Contra (NES). I don't know why people think it's one of the hardest games ever. For some reason I finished this game multiple times without breaking a sweat. May be because it was my type of game?

Probably. To this day I still can't finish it.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#33 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

platformer - Kirby 64 the crystal shards

rpg - pokemon red / blue

sports - mario tennis n64

racing - mario kart 64

fps - Goldeneye 007

third person shooter - Resident Evil 4

fighting - super smash bros

adventure - The zelda ocarina of time

strategy - Pokemon Stadium 2

online experience - Star Wars Battlefront 2

on rail shooter - Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles

rhythm - Guitar Hero 3

puzzle - Zack & Wiki Quest For Barbaros Treasure

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

First platformer: Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

First beat em up: Ninja Turtles 2 (NES)

First adventure game: Zelda (NES)

First shooter game: Contra (NES)

First puzzle game: Tetris (Gameboy)

First racing game: Super Mario Kart (SNES)

First fighting game: Mortal Kombat (Genesis)

First sports game: NBA Jam (Genesis)

First RPG: Final Fantasy VII (PS1)

First survival horror game: Silent Hill (PS1)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ConanTheStoner

@Juub1990:

lol damn bro. I can kinda relate to those N64 mishaps. When I got my PS1 I had no idea how a disc based console worked, so I also had no idea that I needed a memory card. I got my PS1 the day FFVII came out and even though I couldn't save my progress, I couldn't keep myself from playing either. I ended up leaving the system on for 3 days and playing as carefully as I could until I finally borrowed a spare card from a friend.

Having to sit there and stare at a screen with no controllers though? ****, that's brutal on a kid haha.

Yeah, kids do have it made these days though. Some of the shit we had to put up with just to have fun in this medium is funny when you look back on it. But then again I'm glad to have grown up alongside the medium. We got to see all the major leaps and advancements, the birth and refinement of so many genres, and we got to witness the industry in its most experimental days. I doubt gaming will ever be that exciting again. Like when a new console generation came around it actually meant something. Game types that previously wouldn't work were suddenly possible. The leap in graphics and sound would be so immediately evident. I remember even little things like hearing a voice in a game was like a huge breakthrough. Or having an "arcade perfect" port lol. Good times.

@Juub1990 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Probably. To this day I still can't finish it.

Yeah, to beat Contra without breaking a sweat would mean that you died a few thousand times to get that good. Game has 4 continues at 3 lives a piece if I remember correctly. So with one hit deaths and plenty of pitfall hazards, you only have 11 chances to screw up or it's game over.

It's no walk in the park at all. Even using the Konami Code it's still tough, but beating the game legit takes some dedication.

If we're not counting broken games, it's probably in the top 5 hardest games on the NES, and that's saying a lot.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Juub1990

@ConanTheStoner Couldn't agree more especially about us witnessing the growth of the industry. You make an excellent point. Hopefully we get major technological improvements and it even leads to new genres of games and maybe in a few years from now, some kids will be post on a forum asking the same questions as this thread and genres that don't exist at the moment will be mentioned.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I think I played Combat on Atari 2600 a family friend gave us his system when i was like 6 years old.

It was a really cool tank game it might have been something else though he gave us a crap ton of games.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Genres have changed so much.

But my first game ever was

"Mike Tyson's Punch Out"

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

Platform - Either Super Mario World of Donkey Kong Country 1

RPG - Super Mario RPG

FPS - Goldeneye

Fighting - MK2

RTS - C&C Tiberium Sun

Racing - F-Zero

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#40 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Man, I wish I remembered better... long damn time ago.

I'll give it a think. For now here are a few stabs...

Simulation: Sim City (DOS)

Flight/Space sim: X-Wing Star Wars (DOS)

Racing: Stunts (DOS)

Misc arcade stuff (Atari 2600)

Survival game: Oregon Trail? Does that count? (Probably Apple II)

Fighting game: Probably Street Fighter (arcade, I guess - which probably means I need to rethink my racing answer)

I honestly can't pin down 1st platformer... possibly Lode Runner or something ancient like that

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Baseball and Football on Intelivsion

FPS Wolf3D

Action-Pitfall