Final Fantasy XV is a solid game with terrible main characters (opinion)

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Before you say "blog it", I actually want to ask if there people here with a similar opinion?

And yes, this is only my opinion, not a fact. And no, I'm not trying to troll.

So yeah, I'm one of those gamers who didn't play previous FF games, so I have decided to purchase FFXV, since I've read that it's good for newcomers.

I'm usually a WRPG fan, so playing a FF game is quite a change for me, and... I just couldn't get into it. Basically I'm forcing myself to play it since I bought it on Steam. Btw, the port is imho less than good.

Reason? The main characters are (imho) simply terrible. I... just can't take seriously that comical group of girly-looking j-pop members with ridiculous haircuts. And yes, I know. It's an anime thing.

Generally, their personalities are quite intriguing, but the appearance of those "mighty heroes" is something that's killing the whole atmosphere for me.

What are your thoughts on that matter? Specifically, thoughts of people who don't exactly prefer JRPGs, but still dig the FF franchise.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50573 Posts

Most enjoyed non ffxi mmo since 10. Really enjoyed it and I didn't care much for the characters either

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts

The characters were largely forgettable. Hell, the story wasn't all that brilliant, but I genuinely enjoyed it. Picked it up again for PC as well.

TBH, I remembered almost nothing about FFXII (unlike most FFs), but i'm enjoying the hell out of that as well.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#4  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@IgGy621985:

Agreed but I had fun with it nonetheless.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Didn't play previous entries of Final Fantasy; jumps into Final Fantasy XV because you read it's good for newcomers and yet nitpicks about the main characters in the game...lol. Either refund the game if you can or just wait until mods hit that'll allow different changes to come for the characters...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69579 Posts

The game became significantly less solid once you leave the open world area.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

The characters were largely forgettable. Hell, the story wasn't all that brilliant, but I genuinely enjoyed it. Picked it up again for PC as well.

TBH, I remembered almost nothing about FFXII (unlike most FFs), but i'm enjoying the hell out of that as well.

I agree. The characters seem to be mostly cookie cutter tropes like the spunky one, the wise one, the protector, etc.

Aside from their looks, I think they're fairly bland as characters.

The game is okay so far, nothing great, but not bad.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lundy86_4

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

I agree. The characters seem to be mostly cookie cutter tropes like the spunky one, the wise one, the protector, etc.

Aside from their looks, I think they're fairly bland as characters.

The game is okay so far, nothing great, but not bad.

Definitely. As for the port... It seems fucking brilliant so far, especially for an actual SE game (not published).

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44228 Posts

I enjoyed it myself. It’s not exactly high on my favourite Final Fantasy games but I had a pretty good time playing through it. The main characters are ok, nothing special nothing terrible just ok.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lundy86_4

@IgGy621985 What's so bad about the port?

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

Before you say "blog it", I actually want to ask if there people here with a similar opinion?

So yeah, I'm one of those gamers who didn't play previous FF games, so I have decided to purchase FFXV, since I've read that it's good for newcomers.

I'm usually a WRPG fan, so playing a FF game is quite a change for me, and... I just couldn't get into it. Basically I'm forcing myself to play it since I bought it on Steam. Btw, the port is imho less than good.

Reason? The main characters are (imho) simply terrible. I... just can't take seriously that comical group of girly-looking j-pop members with ridiculous haircuts. And yes, I know. It's an anime thing.

Generally, their personalities are quite intriguing, but the appearance of those "mighty heroes" is something that's killing the whole atmosphere for me.

What are your thoughts on that matter? Specifically, thoughts of people who don't exactly prefer JRPGs, but still dig the FF franchise.

decided to download the demo and give it a go,.

But i agree i couldn't pass the first part with the crappy main cast that i have no interest in seeing even on my screen. They are all those gothic emo kids, that are completely out of place in that starting area.

Couldn't bother to get past the first area.

It also doesn't help that the performance is god awful on older cpu's. Which also doesn't help there game.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@Gatygun said:
@IgGy621985 said:

decided to download the demo and give it a go,.

But i agree i couldn't pass the first part with the crappy main cast that i have no interest in seeing even on my screen. They are all those gothic emo kids, that are completely out of place in that starting area.

Couldn't bother to get past the first area.

It also doesn't help that the performance is god awful on older cpu's. Which also doesn't help there game.

How old of a CPU are we talking about?

My CPU is going on 5 years old and it runs the game perfectly fine.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

The main characters were one of the best parts about the game LOL

God, It was a breath of fresh air from the terrible characters from the past 15 years of FF games.

You would have hated VAAN from FFXII.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19580 Posts

I thought I would hate the main characters, but they were actually totally fine.

It's just a shame that the gameplay was terrible, the open world portion was incredibly tedious, and the story fell apart in the second half.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52431 Posts

Run off the mill characters, but there's a lot of good moments between them. FF15 is all about the bros.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Last really good FF was X. Last playable and decent one was 13.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Nah the game part sucks.

DrSerigala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DrSerigala
Member since 2018 • 208 Posts

Is There any Cindy Nude Mod yet on PC?

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

Nothing performance-wise actually. I have GTX 970, and I'm completely aware of its limitations. I'm running it on medium-high at 1440p.

Controls are crap. Yeah, I do use DualShock 4 for PC (InputMapper), but even though I own PS4 Pro, and I'm no stranger to game controllers, I wanted to play this with kb/m. Why they couldn't implement mouse cursor in the game menus (including the map) is beyond me.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#20 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17815 Posts

@IgGy621985: I generally avoid games infused with Japanese pop culture. I can not relate to it. It is almost all trash to me. The ridiculous hair of these characters and emo shit is just too much for me. LOL

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I enjoyed the characters which I didn't think I would. I've been watching a friend play the pc port and this game is super boring, how I got a platinum on it I have no idea.

Kruugh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kruugh
Member since 2017 • 117 Posts

well...characters in this FF were far better than the story....

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lundy86_4

@IgGy621985 said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Nothing performance-wise actually. I have GTX 970, and I'm completely aware of its limitations. I'm running it on medium-high at 1440p.

Controls are crap. Yeah, I do use DualShock 4 for PC (InputMapper), but even though I own PS4 Pro, and I'm no stranger to game controllers, I wanted to play this with kb/m. Why they couldn't implement mouse cursor in the game menus (including the map) is beyond me.

Ahhh, i've not tried KB/M controls. I typically use my Elite Xbox controller as often as I can.