Fighting games and guest stars. Who handled it better?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

Poll Fighting games and guest stars. Who handled it better? (28 votes)

Namco (Tekken 3, Tekken 7, Soul Calibur II, Soul Calibur IV, Soul Calibur V, Naruto: UNS2) 25%
Nintendo (Super Smash Bros Brawl and 4) 64%
Warner Bros/Netherrealm Studios (Mortal Kombat 2011, Mortal Kombat X, and Injustice: Gods Among Us) 11%

Guest stars in fighting games has become very common among these three. So who do you think handled it better?

Namco - The de facto series to include this is the Soul series (from worst to best received being: Yoda, Darth Vader, Galen 'Starkiller' Marek, Heihachi Mishima, Ezio Auditore, Spawn and Link), but originally, the Tekken series did this too with the PlayStation release of Tekken 3, which included GON (one of the Oddjobs of fighting games, next to Yoda) and the upcoming 7 will include Akuma from Street Fighter. Further, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 featured Tekken 6's Lars Alexandersson (likely due to Masashi Kishimoto's involvement in designing him). You can also create KOS-MOS and Devil Jin in III and V respectively, but it's tough to count those.

Nintendo - Brawl first added this with the addition of Solid Snake and later Sonic the Hedgehog. The fourth game in the series, alongside the return of Sonic, also saw the appearance of Mega Man and Pac-Man. DLC also included Ryu from Street Fighter, Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII (bringing surprise and criticism, the latter even being noted by Sakurai himself when he made his comparison to George Lucas), and Bayonetta (via a poll).

WB/Nettherrealm Studios - The Mortal Kombat series didn't jump in on this until it's 2011 reboot with the PS exclusive Kratos, but both that and the 360 got Freddy Krueger as DLC (and in the Komplete Edition). Mortal Kombat X would bring more guest stars from various horror movies, such as a Xenomorph from Alien, Leatherface, and Jason Voorhees. They also threw in Scorpion (not a surprise...) in Injustice: Gods Among Us as DLC for certain versions.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

As surprising as Cloud in Smash was, he and Sephiroth, Tifa and tons of other FF7 characters are in Ehrgeiz. My vote still goes with Nintendo though. Snake and Sonic were great additions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Smash

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Smash Bros.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Nintendo. There's not much of a story behind smash bros. All the other games there tend to be some level of character interaction along with an established world.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Nintendo got some pretty awesome characters in smash; ryu, cloud, and bayonetta all in one game is pretty mind-blowing, though im sad that they didnt bring snake back

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

Smash, it's not even close. It was kind of cool and weird for Star Wars to be in Soul Calibre, but whatever. Mortal Kombat does it really well too, but nobody gets more hyped for character reveals than Smash Bros. reveals.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

I have to admit that I like what Nintendo when they used guest characters is Smash. It was a cool way to have Mario vs Link vs Cloud (Yup he just got added) vs Ryu. I mean if Nintendo could just find a way to add every mascot from Sony and even the few mascots MS has Smash Bros could easily go down as the best fighter of all time just from the absurdity of its roster.

Now as for Nether Relm studio's handling I'm not feeling it. Really on Jason and Freddy, and the Predator as guest characters. These wack bums. I know it might have been a bit much but give me the match up we've always wanted Ryu vs Scorpion. I guess what I'm saying is for a game like Mortal Kombat I would rather see a cross over like think.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

As surprising as Cloud in Smash was, he and Sephiroth, Tifa and tons of other FF7 characters are in Ehrgeiz. My vote still goes with Nintendo though. Snake and Sonic were great additions.

Wasn't Ehrgeiz a Square game though? That's what I remember thinking back in the day, that it was final fantasy characters and then a bunch of random fighters.

On topic. Nintendo hands-down wins in my opinion. So many different rival mascots together, retro and modern, it's great.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Smash hand;es it the best by far. It's a game developed around the idea of pitting people's favourite characters against each other.

I actually hate it when fighters throw in a couple guest characters. They always feel so out of place.

Ugh... Remember this?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

Nintendo/Super Smash Bros. knows how to do a better job with there guest stars fighters that I think tries to get as many different characters as possible and coming up with unique guest stars then any fighting games I play. So Nintendo wins this round.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@Pikminmaniac: I think there's a reason Capcom hasn't messed with guest stars in fighters since. They handled it badly and left no lasting impression unlike what Namco, Nintendo, and Netherrealm have done.

Razik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 Razik
Member since 2015 • 965 Posts

Killer Instinct

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I'm not a fan of guest characters in Mortal Kombat, so the other two get my vote.

3SidedSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 3SidedSquare
Member since 2008 • 347 Posts

Sakurai's team has done a phenomenal job of including guest characters in the game that do the characters justice, but also make them feel like they belong in the world of Smash. Never does any 3rd party character feel out of place. So to answer the question, Nintendo.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Mortal Kombat for me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@razik said:

Killer Instinct

LOL no.

I like Killer Instinct but that's just plain silly and you know it. Rash from Battletoads doesn't count.

fize4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fize4ever
Member since 2009 • 1652 Posts

Namco because Darth Vader.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Nintendo since they were able to get Snake to work in Smash.

However, Soul Caliber II was the shit too. Wish Namco did a multiplat like that again.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I know which one is the very worst. Kratos. Tacked on everywhere.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nintendoboy16

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I know which one is the very worst. Kratos. Tacked on everywhere.

He fit well in Mortal Kombat though. I do agree otherwise (he was in Shovel Knight for goodness sake).

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Don't know about Namco, but it's definitely not Nintendo, Nintendo who has been praised as of late because of their humble priced DLC for games like Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Golf World Tour, now they bring us this (that doesn't include Mii content), over $56 if you own both Wii U and 3DS versions, only $45+ if you pick to only update one, and no season pass to get this all in discount to my knowledge...

Nintendo is now entering the super milkage territory, something that gives me pause about wanting to support them in future. This is excessive. They shouldn't be pulling this shit off either right on the heals of an NX announcement.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nintendoboy16

@lamprey263 said:

Don't know about Namco, but it's definitely not Nintendo, Nintendo who has been praised as of late because of their humble priced DLC for games like Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Golf World Tour, now they bring us this (that doesn't include Mii content), over $56 if you own both Wii U and 3DS versions, only $45+ if you pick to only update one, and no season pass to get this all in discount to my knowledge...

Nintendo is now entering the super milkage territory, something that gives me pause about wanting to support them in future. This is excessive. They shouldn't be pulling this shit off either right on the heals of an NX announcement.

Um... aren't you the guy who somewhat defends EA and saying they don't deserve the hate they get from many people on the internet (including me, but that's lessened courtesy of Konami)? Just saying...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

@nintendoboy16: EA is one of the most hated companies regardless of how I feel. Nintendo should not be trying to follow in their steps.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I can't vote in this thread (but I did). They've all done phenomenal jobs hyping up Guest Characters.

I guess if one would get my vote it would be Namco only because of Soul Calibur 2 and 4.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#26  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts
@vvoltskad said:

There were way better characters to choose from than Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta. Those Smash polls were rigged as hell and maybe, just maybe, Bayonetta is the only one who could legitamately won a Smash poll

Ryu and Cloud had nothing to do with the poll. Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nintendoboy16

@vvoltskad said:

I'd say SC2, Spawn Link and Diaper Man from Tekken were actually good inductions. Smash makes no sense with it's choices. There were way better characters to choose from than Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta. Those Smash polls were rigged as hell and maybe, just maybe, Bayonetta is the only one who could legitamately won a Smash poll

I agree that Cloud and Bayonetta were the weakest choices for guest stars, but I can't agree about ALL of Smash's guests. Sonic makes sense because he was once Mario's rival and many Sonic games have appeared on Nintendo platforms since SEGA went third party. Pac-Man had many Nintendo installments and even had Shigeru Miyamoto develop a Pac-Man game (Pac-Man VS, which eventually came bundled with a Player's Choice version of Pac-Man World 2 on GameCube) and Mega Man had his start on NES and, again, has been on Nintendo systems since. Solid Snake was a mixed one, but he still worked with Metal Gear being over the top cartoony in many regards and some MG games still making it on later Nintendo systems, as well as Ryu at least having some recent Nintendo releases (SSFIV 3DS, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Project X Zone).

But otherwise, I think Namco handled guest stars better. In my opinion, I actually like the Star Wars characters in IV, but Link remains my fave guest. Heihachi, I thought was the worst.