FFXIII = disappointment of the year?

• 150 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IppoTenma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 IppoTenma
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts
I strongly disagree. It was an excellent game, top notch, best RPG I've ever played with a great storyline and characters.
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

@ dreman999

Actually the charactersdo change during the game. As much as I hated Snow and Hope you could see the characters evolving and becoming some what likable. Lighting ends up changing a lot too and Sazh was probably one of the most interesting characters in recent RPGs and in a FF title. The story did have some flaws but it wasn't all that bad. My problem with FFXIII it felt like a chore playing often times, I wasn't having to much fun playing the game. Hell after 30 hours my main focus was beating it it so I could sell it on ebay sadly. The thing that kept me going though was the likable characters, story (both did have it flaws and the ATB system. FFFXIII is a good game not great is it disappointment of the year? I can't say since we are only three months in of the 2010 year. My main gripe with FFXIII though the pacing is horrid and I do have a hard time considering FFXIII a RPG.

jasonharris48

I know, but only 3 characters are developed well. Snow changes but doesn't improve, he just goes back to who he was. Vanilla character change just can't surpass her design. He growth is one step forward but her character design is 3 steps back . Lighting is just too stiff. Only Sazh, Hope, and Fang go through good full character development only the Hope need to keep going and Fang need more screen time.

Now it never said anything about the story, just the plot. Story and plot are two different things. Story is what everything is about in general, plot is the step by step things that happen in the story. The plot is a mess. I never said ff13 is a bad game ether. Just that it's not as great as people are describing it as.

It's a good game, not great.

Origami_Kill3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Origami_Kill3r
Member since 2010 • 647 Posts
I love ff13. fav game this gen. Whats so bad about having a ff13 thats more linear then usual.
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

I'm about 7-8 hours in and i have to admit even as a die-hard ff fan i'm a bit disappointed. Maybe i had too high of expectations as i'm been anticipated this for four years but i'll hold judgement till i beat the last boss

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Meh, I really enjoy it. The combat is the best of the series. Sure it's more streamlined than other RPG's but JRPG's aren't known for having a lot of RPG'ing in them, and that's perfectly fine. Enjoy the game for what it is.
ispygeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 ispygeek
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Every Final Fantasy is a bit different than the others. They still kept pieces of the previous games in it. I haven't played it all the way through yet, but I have found the story line to be a bit odd, but the graphics and characters are amazing. I hardly think it's the disappointment of the year.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Resonance of Fate is giving me my JRPG fix for now, so...yeah, I have no qualms about passing on XIII.

MigElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 MigElite
Member since 2004 • 1304 Posts

It's an amazing game, play it.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

Resonance of Fate is giving me my JRPG fix for now, so...yeah, I have no qualms about passing on XIII.

Verge_6

Yakuza 3 is sucking me I barely have anytime to play FFXIII guess Sega is really doing a great job this year :P.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#111 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

Kashiwaba

Yakuza 3 is sucking me I barely have anytime to play FFXIII guess Sega is really doing a great job this year :P.

Hmm,you consider Yakuza 3 an rpg?

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Kashiwaba

[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

Arach666

hmmm I can't put under one genre like many people say its a RPG with brawling combat.

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#113 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
I'm not disappointed at all. The game has fulfilled all of my expectations. It looks incredible, has strategic and challenging battles, an interesting story and a fantastic soundtrack. As of right now it might be my personal game of the month.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Arach666

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

Kashiwaba

hmmm I can't put under one genre like many people say its a RPG with brawling combat.

Isn´t it more like action adventure?

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Kashiwaba

[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

[QUOTE="Arach666"] Hmm,you consider Yakuza 3 an rpg?

Arach666

No its like you got a big city and when you are walking in it you get some punks and Yakuza men who start fights with you (like random encounters) when you win you get exp to power up your player and learn new moves + there is over 100 side quests when you do them you get exp + money also you meet martial arts masters who teachs you new skills if your level is high enough...etc.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts
[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

No its like you got a big city and when you are walking in it you get some punks and Yakuza men who start fights with you (like random encounters) when you win you get exp to power up your player and learn new moves + there is over 100 side quests when you do them you get exp + money also you meet martial arts masters who teachs you new skills if your level is high enough...etc.

Like GTA: SA but with out guns.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Arach666

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

Kashiwaba

Yeah,I know,I have Yakuza 2. And you can run away from those yakuza/punks if you continue running :P I feel that Yakuza games are as much rpg as the Shenmue games,and I´ve never seen Shenmue as one. But I guess it fits. PS: I´ve checked the GS review and they call it modern action adventure :D
Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#119 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2603 Posts

Damn straight. Nothing like the awesome FFXII. RIP SquareEnix. Atlus is the new king of RPGs.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]

[QUOTE="Arach666"] Isn´t it more like action adventure?

Arach666

Yeah,I know,I have Yakuza 2. And you can run away from those yakuza/punks if you continue running :P I feel that Yakuza games are as much rpg as the Shenmue games,and I´ve never seen Shenmue as one. But I guess it fits. PS: I´ve checked the GS review and they call it modern action adventure :D

I think of the Yakuza games as beat em ups with RPG elements and alwaysseen Shenmue 1,2 as Adventure games. But to each their own I guess.

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#121 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts

Its not a dissapointment at all to me. In fact its better then I expected.

Its the best Final Fantasy game since FF8 imo.

kozzy1234
Wow that's cool. Why do you like it so much? I can't wait to get it, but my friend told me it sucked and I should only rent it. -_- Of course I'll buy it.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#122 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

i think its a cool game . but its a let down for ff fans .

Tauu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Tauu
Member since 2005 • 825 Posts

You guys have no patience!!!! Wow, it's like some of you don't understand what the heart and soul of an RPG is and how it all started. Go back and play the original Dragon Quest on the NES, where you have to fight the same mobs for hours to build up your levels and save up your gold for good gear so that you can progress to the next area. Some of us grew up on this stuff and loved it. Many many japanese people grew up on this stuff.

What FF doesn't have you telling your characters to attack over and over, especially near the beginning of the game? I mean really? Do you folks really want to micromanage in great detail every regular encounter? Imagine how tedious that would become. Save that for the tougher battles, that's where the battle system in XIII really shines. But perhaps this is all a bit slow for some of you.

This is the problem with FF being a mainstream series these days. There's this idea going around that this series should appeal to everyone. Back in the NES and SNES days FF games and RPGs in general had a niche following and developers catered to that niche. All was well and good. Now we have the masses complaining that the games aren't made the way they want. If you don't like telling your character to attack over and over then go play an FPS or something!

FFXIII is the FF I've been waiting for since FFVI. That's 16 years. In my opinion, XIII ties with VI for best cast of characters in an FF and has the best graphics I've seen in any game, the best human models I've seen in any game and the best voice acting I've heard in any game. You use the regular battles to build up points to upgrade your weapons and accessories, choose abilities for each character and set up your paradigms. Then you unleash all of this along with your battle strategy on the tough bosses which is very satisfying. It's a great experience.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#124 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

You guys have no patience!!!! Wow, it's like some of you don't understand what the heart and soul of an RPG is and how it all started. Go back and play the original Dragon Quest on the NES, where you have to fight the same mobs for hours to build up your levels and save up your gold for good gear so that you can progress to the next area. Some of us grew up on this stuff and loved it. Many many japanese people grew up on this stuff.

What FF doesn't have you telling your characters to attack over and over, especially near the beginning of the game? I mean really? Do you folks really want to micromanage in great detail every regular encounter? Imagine how tedious that would become. Save that for the tougher battles, that's where the battle system in XIII really shines. But perhaps this is all a bit slow for some of you.

This is the problem with FF being a mainstream series these days. There's this idea going around that this series should appeal to everyone. Back in the NES and SNES days FF games and RPGs in general had a niche following and developers catered to that niche. All was well and good. Now we have the masses complaining that the games aren't made the way they want. If you don't like telling your character to attack over and over then go play an FPS or something!

FFXIII is the FF I've been waiting for since FFVI. That's 16 years. In my opinion, XIII ties with VI for best cast of characters in an FF and has the best graphics I've seen in any game, the best human models I've seen in any game and the best voice acting I've heard in any game. You use the regular battles to build up points to upgrade your weapons and accessories, choose abilities for each character and set up your paradigms. Then you unleash all of this along with your battle strategy on the tough bosses which is very satisfying. It's a great experience.

Tauu

See, you are focusing more on the technical and artistic aspects of the game, but those aren't the only things that matter in an RPG-- far from it, in fact. Dragon Age Origins has really crappy graphics but the gameplay and management aspects were met with almost unanimous praise from critics and gamers, so the graphics don't really matter. Fallout 3 is a decent looking game, however the narrative isn't all that interesting. It's got a very cool mythos and world, but the actual point A to point B part is pretty forgetable. What matters though, is that building your character and exploring the world is a total blast.

There's so much fun to be had in Fallout 3 that you almost don't care whether or not there's a main plot. I constantyl hear people praise FFXIII for having a brilliant story, graphics, music, etc., but the place that I am most concerned about is gameplay, and that's the part that only the game's detractors seem to focus on when describing it. If the gameplay is mostly a utility for telling a stoy rather than the other way around, then I might as well just play Heavy Rain since I don't have to grind to get to the next plot point.

I think that Square's problem is that they are forgetting what a role playing game is. An RPG at its core is about the player building up a character, and while narrative can play into that it doesn't have to be the primary focus. Dungeons and Dragons, which was the grand daddy of all RPGs was never really about why you were in the dungeon hunting dragons, but about building your character up from a paltry peasant t to a valiant knight. Square is losing sight of this aspect of role playing though, and is instead slipping into just making interactive movies that you access through an RPG-like battle system.

Again, I have not played FFXIII yet so this is largely me going on second hand information, but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, well, you know the rest. Essentially, I don't like that Square seems to be taking the roleplaying out of their RPGs. When I buy a Final Fantasy game, I don't want a linear action game with turn-based combat, I want a role playing game!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
Member since 2009 • 2436 Posts

I loved the other FF's and I rented this on day because it was sold out in stores, and I hated it. Returned it before it was due I got so bored. Lame, typical story, boring combat, waaaay too linear.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
Member since 2009 • 2436 Posts

Tauu

Final Fantasy VI was nothing like FFXIII at all, none of the older FF's were and the SNES ones were my favourites. Also, I think you need to get your eyes checked if this is the best game you've seen. And as for th voice acting, now your just completely uncredible.

And if they are going to make the small encounters play themselves why didn't they just cut them out? The majority of the game is just padding with grinding and a million random encounters.

Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Cyberfairy
Member since 2003 • 5180 Posts
Just got to Gran Pulse and it's finally starting to get alot better now. Wow, 30 hours ramp-up time :P That's pretty insane.
krunkmastax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 krunkmastax
Member since 2004 • 36027 Posts
Ive only played a few hours in and Im loving it. I got the 360 version and on my HDTV it looks amazing. I mean its freakin FInal Fantasy. How could I not like it? Im a big fan of the series and this game is no exception. So far its great.
blaze000119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 blaze000119
Member since 2006 • 116 Posts
YES YES YES YES YES! God, this game is painful to play. I have to force myself to play it in the hopes that maybe it'll get better. Had the gamestore been open when I actually played it, I might have run it back and sold it the same day. Lord knows I've thought about it.... alot. This is the first one where not even the previews interested me, and that I actually HAVE been able to put down (er, save for X-2). Only bought it cuz I had a nice size credit on amazon expiring that day in feb and I couldnt find anything I wanted. And since i'm a procrastinator I forced myself to make sure I got something... anything. So, my fault really. least I didn't waste my credit.
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
Ugh what a hypocritical contradiction, how does FF13 play itself? because you queue attacks? when all you do in Fallout is shoot a godamn gun.... or use VATS.... WHICH QUEUES ATTACKS.
princemarth23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 princemarth23
Member since 2005 • 9229 Posts

It is my personal favorite JRPG this gen, so no, not a disappointment.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Rental?? i have put down over 90hours in this game, well worth every penny...

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#133 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
Nope, not at all, not to me. I'm rather enjoying the game so far, and I'm really excited about what's ahead. To be honest, I'm sort of intentionally playing the game slow and drawing out the experience, because it's honestly one of those games that will pain me a bit when I know it's over. But yeah, I don't see this game as a disappointment at all; in fact, it exceeded my expectations quite a bit.
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#134 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
I'm really enjoying this FF13, it's not the disappointment of the year!
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#135 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Like I said on another thread: I almost cry at the end of the game but because of the disappointment.

It is not a bad game and it has somegood things like the battle system, music, graphics, etc.but definitely the worst in the series, even worse than FFXII. I hope that they fix this with FFvsXIII.

You know, at one point Versus was going to be the main FF game but it was scraped becauseit was too different to the others in the way that it was too dark, realistic and the battle system was real-time. That's why it is called Versus, because it is a counterpart to the main series. And considering that it has been in development since 2003 'Im hoping for i tto be the FF game that FFXIII couldn't be.

Kitase even said that the game couldn't be done on PS2 because of space limitation on the DVD and seeing that the DVD9 of the X360 has even less space than the Wii and PS2 DVD then this game will stay exclusive.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#136 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Ugh what a hypocritical contradiction, how does FF13 play itself? because you queue attacks? when all you do in Fallout is shoot a godamn gun.... or use VATS.... WHICH QUEUES ATTACKS.Birdy09

This is a typical battle in FFXIII.

Battle starts

use libra then

auto-command selection until your life's low then

change rol to medic, heal then

rentless assault again until the enemy dies

rinse and repeat.

-------- I even beat the Final boss without a strategy, I just did what Ido on every battle. The recipe it's above^

That's all you do during the entire game. Then keep walking the insanely 50hours long hallway. You don't even have to look for treasures because they are all in your face. You can't grind because each chapter has a limit cap. This game makes you play it the way the devs want you to play it and there's no other way.

FFXIII was madefor the casual market. It is basically an "on-rails" Jrpg.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

[QUOTE="Birdy09"]Ugh what a hypocritical contradiction, how does FF13 play itself? because you queue attacks? when all you do in Fallout is shoot a godamn gun.... or use VATS.... WHICH QUEUES ATTACKS.Gue1

Battle starts

use libra then

rinse and repeat.

-------- I even beat the Final boss without a strategy, I just did what Ido on every battle. The recipe it's above^

That's all you do during the entire game. Then keep walking the insanely 50hours long hallway. You don't even have to look for treasures because they are all in your face. You can't grind because each chapter has a limit cap. This game makes you play it the way the devs want you to play it and there's no other way.

This is a typical battle in FF7. Battle Starts. Attack. Attack. Attack. Attack. Attack. Cure. Attack Attack Victory dance. repeat. I even beat the final boss with 2 summons. I mean seriously what is the difference? the pulse fights are much harder and actually require different tactics. hell most of the mainstream ffs (7 to X) you didnt even need to buff or debuff for the majority of them. Yes its an easy game, but so are all the FFs. at least this combat wasnt as stale.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#138 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14958 Posts

Simply put, even as a JRPG, FFXIII sucks. It along with II, is the worst game in the series. I remember even in JRPGs where exploration was rewarded...like FFVI, a game which in the second half, you a rewarded with bits of story for exploring. Or Chrono Trigger, where you can affect the outcome in certain parts. Or Suikoden games, in which you have to explore to find all 108 stars of destiny and even make choices that impact the game. JRPGs have gotten more restrictive when they need to be less restrictive and thats why on consoles JRPGs are the lesser genre to WRPGs. FFXIII is battle cutscene battle cutscene battle fo rmost of the game. Hell, many "linear" shooters like Bioshock 2 and Metro 2033 allow a nonlinear story with multiple outcomes.

The character cast is the worst in the series with only Sazh and Fang being any good. Lightning isn't terrible, but she is no Terra or Celes. Vanille is annoying as hell, especially he rvoice. Hope is whiny, and Snow is annoying. Even if they do change, the annoyance they caused me sticked with me. The plot is same old cliche, a new spin on the same old story...with the same old cliched characters. This game is far worse than XII, which had its flaws, but had a more fresh story different from the other FF games and actually took the series in the right direction, until Kitase and his team of hacks went backwards.

Its telling when the game designers have to defend their game from reviews and make BS excuses for the extreme linearity.

But C&C 4 gets most disappointing game of the year.

blaze000119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 blaze000119
Member since 2006 • 116 Posts
[QUOTE="Gue1"]

[QUOTE="Birdy09"]Ugh what a hypocritical contradiction, how does FF13 play itself? because you queue attacks? when all you do in Fallout is shoot a godamn gun.... or use VATS.... WHICH QUEUES ATTACKS.Birdy09

Battle starts

use libra then

rinse and repeat.

This is a typical battle in FF7. Battle Starts. Attack. Attack. Attack. Attack. Attack. Cure. Attack Attack Victory dance. repeat. I even beat the final boss with 2 summons. I mean seriously what is the difference? the pulse fights are much harder and actually require different tactics. hell most of the mainstream ffs (7 to X) you didnt even need to buff or debuff for the majority of them. Yes its an easy game, but so are all the FFs. at least this combat wasnt as stale.

Difference is: Final Fantasy VII = Fun ff13 = is this really a "Final Fantasy" game? Your joking right? Couldnt be any plainer or simpler than that. shall I continue? The battle system in 7 consisted of A LOT more. 1 (of a million) examples = MP. Remember the time when all skills and magic and summons weren't unlimited? 13's system is exactly as stated earlier = auto queue your way to victory. no strategy. no point in diving into.... anything. Story? not bad really, but not epic as were most others. Nobody here says it's BAD. but comparatively it's just ridiculously disappointing and extremely dumbed down. And there's extremely limited choice in this game. choice is a STAPLE of good RPGs. period. one accessory slot. no exploration - just forced down a straight narrow path cluttered up by a few unavoidable enemies at particular predetermined spots along the way. Oh god, say your main character dies... despite two perfectly healthy teammates its game over.... that makes sense. And your uncontrollable allies are stupid. plain and simple. no more strategy in having them all do intelligent different things. Just hope they make themselves useful. I could go on but im gonna cut it short.... done
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#140 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

At best imo... its alright. waay Better than 12 but thats not saying much at all

xXDante666Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 xXDante666Xx
Member since 2004 • 3102 Posts

I think it might be just me because I have evolved into more genre's and call others my favorite now, but I love XIII. It is a great breath of fresh air and is constantly rolling - though the story takes time, I am talking about the gameplay - not to mention the characters are astounding and the designs are fantastic. I can say this game is great, and although I am taking breaks and playing HeartGold right now I look forward to playing this game every day.

In short, don't be put off just because of other people's thoughts, make your own opinion, and if you are like me you will thank yourself later.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

[QUOTE="Birdy09"]Ugh what a hypocritical contradiction, how does FF13 play itself? because you queue attacks? when all you do in Fallout is shoot a godamn gun.... or use VATS.... WHICH QUEUES ATTACKS.Gue1

Battle starts

use libra then

rinse and repeat.

Typical battle in almost every other FF game: enter battle: hold X attack attack attack get attacked for minor damage rinse and repeat Honestly I've played them all except III and I like them all (except II) and that's what it boils down to. I end up doing more in a typical XIII battle than I do in most others than XI. My general final boss strategy: hold x untill it's dead. I don't even grind most of the time. The MP thing to me doesn't even matter. By the end you have damn near infinite ethers and elixers so no matter what you're good to go. Almost dead with no mp? use one of those 20 megaelixers you have cause during the final boss you will use 1 at the very most. At least in XIII you can only summon once and then cast renew, maybe a second time if the battle is very long. All XII did was take away 2 things that basically just add time to an average FF game: After battle healing and MP. Neither has ever been anything but a time sink for me.
abmac713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 abmac713
Member since 2007 • 330 Posts

You know, I'm not sure if many would agree with me, but...I feel that FFXIII is a bit underrated. I found the gameplay engaging and simple, and surely it's a technical marvel. Sure, it lacks a plethora of traditional RPG elements, but I've had plenty of fun with the game thus far. I guess that's what counts, right? It's neither my favorite FF game nor my least favorite FF game.

CaptainHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#144 CaptainHarley
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

i have to be honest, i went into this expecting--almost hoping--to hate it. im a rabid j'rpg' hater, i think se is a creatively bankrupt company, etc. etc. but its actually pretty good if you like jrpgs. i will say the character design is maybe the very worst ive ever seen in a game--maybe in anything--but the actual gameplay is exactly what you should expect from this type of game.

i would say its a solid rent. play it once and never touch it again. that said, i certainly didnt even come close to finishing it and never would. im just not that into the genre.

Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Cyberfairy
Member since 2003 • 5180 Posts

After hearing all the complaints I was expecting it to be alot worse, but I'm really impressed and I'm having a great time playing it. So no, I do not agree.

Bdking57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Bdking57
Member since 2005 • 1320 Posts

I suppose the problem with this game is its just not meant for westerners... it seems like bioware and bethesthda understand what americans want in an rpg.. dragon age is everything i ever wanted final fantasy to be while final fantasy is going in a completely different direction.. it makes no sense compared to 12 which i thought was pretty amazing at the time.. FF13 is a very pretty game, and the battle system is awesome.. but for crying out loud the towns were the best part of traditional FF games. The battle system tries to be strategy based but since its basically real time, its impossible to play to be very precise.

mtradr43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 mtradr43
Member since 2005 • 5272 Posts
yes, yes it is. the only thing ff13 was really good at was showing me how far behind jrpgs are compared to wrpgs imo.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

yes, yes it is. the only thing ff13 was really good at was showing me how far behind jrpgs are compared to wrpgs imo.mtradr43
You were really looking at the wrong JRPG for that. IMO FFXIII is behind when it came to being a JRPG it's self. (not saying FFXIII is a bad game)

ApolloCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 ApolloCloud
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I wasn't expecting anything too great after the last three in the series. I mean, they were all very incredible games, but being *just* incredible really doesn't cut it for a JRPG or an FF. That being said a lot of people who are critisizing it in all likelihood haven't even played the game and are just parroting what the reviews are saying.
Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

What is much better than just incredible? I agree with you but incredible is such a hefty word, if it was incredible it would be up their with the previous FFs. :P