Fez Dev: We pay MS to be exclusive.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts

They are balling MS hard here. Not only can they not fix the broken game that is Fez as MS will charge them tens of thousands of dollars, but they owe MS money for being exclusive.

We?re bringing the first FEZ patch online.
It?s the same patch.

We?re not going to patch the patch.

Why not? Because microsoft would charge us tens of thousands of dollars to re-certify the game.

And because as it turns out, the save file delete bug only happens to less than a percent of players. It?s a **** numbers game to be playing for sure, but as a small independent, paying so much money for patches makes NO SENSE AT ALL. especially when you consider the alternative. Had FEZ been released on steam instead of XBLA, the game would have been fixed two weeks after release, at no cost to us. And if there was an issue with that patch, we could have fixed that right away too!

We believe the save file corruption issue mostly happened to players who had completed, or almost completed the game. If you hadn?t already seen most of what FEZ had to offer, your save file is probably safe. It doesn?t happen if you start a new game.

We believe the current patch is safe for an overwhelming majority of players.

The patch fixes almost everything that?s been wrong with the game since launch. The framerate issues, the loading, the skips, the death loops, everything! All that stuff is fixed! And right now, nobody can get to it since the patch was pulled. For 99% of people, it makes FEZ a better game.

To the less-than-1% who are getting screwed, we sincerely apologize. We know this hurts you the most, because you?re the ones who put the most times into the game. And this breaks our hearts. We hope you dont think back on your time spent in FEZ as a total waste.

Microsoft gave us a choice: either pay a ton of money to re-certify the game and issue a new patch (which for all we know could introduce new issues, for which we?d need yet another costly patch), or simply put the patch back online. They looked into it, and the issue happens so rarely that they still consider the patch to be ?good enough?.

It wasn?t an easy decision, but in the end, paying such a large sum of money to jump through so many hoops just doesn?t make any sense. We already owe microsoft a LOT of money for the privilege of being on their platform. People often mistakenly believe that we got paid by Microsoft for being exclusive to their platform. Nothing could be further from the truth. WE pay THEM.

So we?re going to go ahead and put Title Update back online, and for a vast majority of people it?s going to make FEZ a better game.

Thank you for your understanding and continuing support.

Sincerely,

The Polytron Team

That is pretty sh1tty, not only for people that lost a save, but for a dev to be shoehorned into keeping a broken patch live to to MS fee's.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts
The price you pay for dealing with ms
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Sony pays for exclusives.

Microsoft gets paid for exclusives.

LemG's - this is how we roll yo :cool:

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

inb4 butthurt lems ... ah, too late :(

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I think this is why people like to put a dollar sign in M$. Seems like they should stick to PC, indie gaming tends to be VERY successful there, but there could be more to it. I don't see why they would be paying Microsoft to be exclusive to their platform.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

if thats the problem then why did they paid them in the first place? they could have put it on another platform or something.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 waltefmoney

Cows have just been absolutely pathetic lately, moreso than usual.

First we get a thread saying "Microsoft is making tons of money on ads on XBL, spin this lems."

Then we get threads saying "Microsoft has a popular and succesful service that people pay to be on(ON THEIR OWN FREE WILL)."

And they think thats ownage.

YOU IDIOTS THE ONLY ONES YOU'RE OWNING IS YOURSELVES.

Where did hell did all the good cows go to? Oh yeah, Xbox.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Ten thousand for a single patch? Wow...:| That's a bit much.

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BibiMaghoo
[QUOTE="sts106mat"]jesus. we have multiple threads on this already, SONY and MS BOTH charge for patches to games, i believe the first one is free and any further ones incur charges, (why shouldn't it, surely they want to get it right first time anyway). I am pretty sure i read a comment from Anton Yudintsev of Gaijin entertainment, who said that it actually cost more money to put a patch out on the ps3, but not by much.

The other thread is about the patching fee. This thread is about having to pay MS to be an exclusive aswell. It is not the same discussion dude.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Thread already stacked with butthurt lems, more incoming. M$ needs to leave gaming ASAP. All they do is do damage.

ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ebrezzy1
Member since 2012 • 1427 Posts

they are such a sh!t company its not even funny

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52452 Posts

I have Fez,although I haven't played it.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KiZZo1

Ten thousand for a single patch? Wow...:| That's a bit much.

m_machine024

It's not 10k, but 40k if I'm not mistaken. LOL. That could be the budget of a smaller indie title.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 waltefmoney

freedomfreak

Wanker. The game is amazing.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freedomfreak  Online

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]

waltefmoney

Sure hope so. Been playing Toy Soldiers instead.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 waltefmoney

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]

freedomfreak

I've heard it's good.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 freedomfreak  Online

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

waltefmoney

I've heard it's good.

It is.

You just hold back waves of soviets but it's great fun. Cold War was only 600 points because of dat MS sale. I loved it,so I went ahead and bought the first one too.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Takes money to make money and I read nothing about a gun to their head forcing them to make games on 360. :P

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BibiMaghoo
[QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"][QUOTE="sts106mat"]jesus. we have multiple threads on this already, SONY and MS BOTH charge for patches to games, i believe the first one is free and any further ones incur charges, (why shouldn't it, surely they want to get it right first time anyway). I am pretty sure i read a comment from Anton Yudintsev of Gaijin entertainment, who said that it actually cost more money to put a patch out on the ps3, but not by much.

The other thread is about the patching fee. This thread is about having to pay MS to be an exclusive aswell. It is not the same discussion dude.

well the sentance is underlined in your OP. your own words say "Not only can they not fix the broken game that is Fez as MS will charge them tens of thousands of dollars," they are not paying "to be exclusive" they are paying to put the game out on xbox live, thats how it works.

yeah, see the other bit that is underlined. ''People often mistakenly believe that we got paid by Microsoft for being exclusive to their platform. Nothing could be further from the truth. WE pay THEM.'' This is not MS taking a cut of the sales. This is MS charging them for the privelige of being on their platfrom eclusively, then telling them to cough up for a patch or leave the broken patch in the game.
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BibiMaghoo

Takes money to make money and I read nothing about a gun to their head forcing them to make games on 360. :P

SecretPolice
No, but they are saying pay us or leave the game broken. MS find it acceptable to leave a patch live that breaks peoples save files, in place of making more money from the dev.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 waltefmoney

It is.

You just hold back waves of soviets but it's great fun. Cold War was only 600 points because of dat MS sale. I loved it,so I went ahead and bought the first one too.

freedomfreak

They finally reduced Xbox originals to 800MS Points btw. I might get Ninja Goden Black again just for that :cool:

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 freedomfreak  Online

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]

It is.

waltefmoney

They finally reduced Xbox originals to 800MS Points btw. I might get Ninja Goden Black again just for that :cool:

Do they have achievements ?:cool:
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 waltefmoney

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]

It is.

freedomfreak

Do they have achievements ?:cool:

No :(

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 freedomfreak  Online

waltefmoney

Damn :cool:

I was thinking about buying Jade Empire.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 waltefmoney

The exact same thing happened with Sony btw and nobody noticed and nobody cared.

Brutal Legend had a save issue and a patch didn't get released on the PS3 because Sony wanted too much money.

When was TC then? Damage controlling probably.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

They could have released the game on Steam and be welcomed by open arms with us PC gamers we love indie titles I don't understand why THEY would pay to be with MS seems dumb idk If i have sympathy towards them

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 waltefmoney

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

freedomfreak

Damn :cool:

I was thinking about buying Jade Empire.

ut

Might wanna check around how the performance is for those emulated games. I know Ninja Gaiden runs perfectly but I've heard that a lot of games have problems.

Or you could get it for PC, pretty sure it's cheaper and the better version.

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheShadowLord07

The exact same thing happened with Sony btw and nobody noticed and nobody cared.

Brutal Legend had a save issue and a patch didn't get released on the PS3 because Sony wanted too much money.

waltefmoney

if you have a more recent one of this issue, then that would be nice.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 waltefmoney

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

TheShadowLord07

More recent what?

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts
[QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

sts106mat
No, but they are saying pay us or leave the game broken. MS find it acceptable to leave a patch live that breaks peoples save files, in place of making more money from the dev.

and you blame MS for this? why isn't it the Devs' fault for not getting the patch right in the first bloody place, the structure is clear, patch one = free, subsequent patches = cash.

It's not the dev's fault for having to account for gimped hard- and software, having to account for micro$oft's piece of sh*t console. Phil clearly had a patch that is working but for very unknown and obscure reasons causing problems for less than 1% of it's gamer. It's the same problems that devs are experiencing on that piece of trash consoles, not the dev's fault. Micro$oft isn't willing to do anything before they see cold hard cash, and they're willing to let 99% of their gamers suffer for that money. Kinda speak volumes about Micro$oft and their "respect" for gamers.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 waltefmoney

yeah, that is true, i wanted to play Star Wars clone trooper or whatever it was called, a few textures didn't load properly, though it was around the time the 360 released and i was using an xbox disc, not the GOD version.sts106mat

I wanted to get the original Forza Motorsport and play it but apparently the game has tons of texture problems on 360.

Another one is Morrowind. The game looks and runs fine but the load times are INSANE.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Wow ITT lems really butthurt.

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheShadowLord07

[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

waltefmoney

More recent what?

that sony wanted more money for a game to be patch.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

[QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

sts106mat

and you blame MS for this? why isn't it the Devs' fault for not getting the patch right in the first bloody place, the structure is clear, patch one = free, subsequent patches = cash.

That's real damn close to what I would have replied with soooo, ummmm, I'm apparently sending my thoughts to you telepathically !!! :o I hate when I do that. :P

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

BibiMaghoo

Do you also find it disgusting how $ony charges for patches?
KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KiZZo1

SONY pulls a dick move? - hey it's OK for MS to do it too ...

^ M$ cock riding shills logic

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 waltefmoney

that sony wanted more money for a game to be patch.

TheShadowLord07

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=205233

Basically EA didn't want to pay for the PS3 patch.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 waltefmoney

SONY pulls a dick move? - hey it's OK for MS to do it too ...

^ M$ cock riding shills logic

KiZZo1

It isn't okay you prat.

But when you have cows going around saying PSN is the better for indie devs, XBL is bad because of this example right here the best way to shut their filthy Sony sucking mouths is to point that Sony does the exact same thing.

And in fact it's pretty weird for cows to be claiming ownage over someone getting glitches or bugs in a game when basically they've been getting this for the entire gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

Microsoft: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdUVKP58g5g

Sony: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvYyJuoLSzw

FACT