Famitsu software sales (Japan): 12/21 - 12/27 (Mario fireballs Lightning)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendo-wins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nintendo-wins
Member since 2009 • 162 Posts

Famitsu ten best-selling software: 12/21 - 12/27 (sale rankings only)

01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros Wii
02. [DS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks*NEW*
03. [DS] Tomodachi Collection
04. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII
05. [DS] Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
06. [WII] Wii Fit Plus
07. [DS] Inazuma Eleven 2
08. [WII] Wii Sports Resort
09. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 2
10. [DS] Professor Layton and the Devil's Flute

Mario fireballs Lightning after one week!

SimoSays2541

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SimoSays2541
Member since 2006 • 679 Posts

Look's like that FFXIII hate actually impacted the sales

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

SimoSays2541
It probably did alittle but there are only alittle over 4 Million PS3's in Japan and FF XIII sold 1.5 Million copies in it's launch week. To be honest, I don't expect it to do more then alittle over 2 MIllion.
immrgoodguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 immrgoodguy
Member since 2009 • 1206 Posts

SimoSays2541

I don't think that there was any hate happening in Japan...

And given this is the Japanese we're talking about, I thought that there would be at least one of their dating sims on the list.

calvinx6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 calvinx6
Member since 2004 • 1788 Posts

Here comes the disclaimers and spinnings.

Avatar image for TalesofRaGnArOk
TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 TalesofRaGnArOk
Member since 2007 • 3189 Posts

NSMBwii release date: Dec 3

Spirit Tracks release date: Dec 23

XIII release date: Dec 17

Meh, I guess there isn't a correlation after all.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

SimoSays2541

No thats normal FFs are always like this first week 1.5+ mils then 2nd week it will be around 200k~300k.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Still looks good for both games. :)
phatkav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 phatkav
Member since 2005 • 1357 Posts

FFXIII is a frontloaded title while Mario is a game that will have strong legs. Most people predicted that so there are no surprises here.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

[QUOTE="SimoSays2541"]

Kashiwaba

No thats normal FFs are always like this first week 1.5+ mils then 2nd week it will be around 200k~300k.

i guess this is right besides i expect the game is be around in the top 10 chart for quite long time,

Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
So many silly people in this thread, the game sold 1.5 million copies to a 4.3 million userbase, its already the best selling third-party console game of the generation and is expected to sell 300k, totaling at 2 million by the time its done.
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

So many silly people in this thread, the game sold 1.5 million copies to a 4.3 million userbase, its already the best selling third-party console game of the generation and is expected to sell 300k, totaling at 2 million by the time its done.GulliversTravel
In Japan, just to clarify.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts
So many silly people in this thread, the game sold 1.5 million copies to a 4.3 million userbase, its already the best selling third-party console game of the generation and is expected to sell 300k, totaling at 2 million by the time its done.GulliversTravel
The Userbase may be as large as five millions by now and 250k New Ps3's were sold mostly because FF came out, Its not like we have solid hardware sales figures for december in Japan. What Im saying is that FFXIII could regain the top spot next week.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

[QUOTE="GulliversTravel"]So many silly people in this thread, the game sold 1.5 million copies to a 4.3 million userbase, its already the best selling third-party console game of the generation and is expected to sell 300k, totaling at 2 million by the time its done.AgentA-Mi6
The Userbase may be as large as five millions by now and 250k New Ps3's were sold mostly because FF came out, Its not like we have solid hardware sales figures for december in Japan. What Im saying is that FFXIII could regain the top spot next week.

FF hasn't a chance in hell of regaining top spot next week. don't kid yourself. PS3 userbase is at about 4.3 million like he said. That is last weeks number

GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GulliversTravel

[QUOTE="AgentA-Mi6"][QUOTE="GulliversTravel"]So many silly people in this thread, the game sold 1.5 million copies to a 4.3 million userbase, its already the best selling third-party console game of the generation and is expected to sell 300k, totaling at 2 million by the time its done.ActicEdge

FF hasn't a chance in hell of regaining top spot next week. don't kid yourself. PS3 userbase is at about 4.3 million like he said. That is last weeks number

Yeah it simply wont, but the PS3 userbase is about to hit 4.5 million this week. Its exciting though, a few weeks of good sales could shift Japanese development for the rest of the generation.

I know youll disagree but this late in the life cycle, games rarely sell at such a high attach rate, MGS4s hardware sales were nowhere as high. This could be the proper beginning of the PS3 in Japan.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
Quite a large adoption rate of FFXIII in the first place leads me to believe its unlikely to stay in the top 10 for long anyways, while the Wii has nearly double, and its a mario game.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="AgentA-Mi6"] The Userbase may be as large as five millions by now and 250k New Ps3's were sold mostly because FF came out, Its not like we have solid hardware sales figures for december in Japan. What Im saying is that FFXIII could regain the top spot next week.GulliversTravel

Yeah it simply wont, but the PS3 userbase is about to hit 4.5 million this week. Its exciting though, a few weeks of good sales could shift Japanese development for the rest of the generation.

I wish I understood why you think this. Development will not shift to Ps3. That's where it has been this entire time.

caughtjoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 caughtjoo
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
Quite a large adoption rate of FFXIII in the first place leads me to believe its unlikely to stay in the top 10 for long anyways, while the Wii has nearly double, and its a mario game. 110million
All FF games pushed big week ones, plummet week two, then slowly dropped off there after.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
[QUOTE="110million"]Quite a large adoption rate of FFXIII in the first place leads me to believe its unlikely to stay in the top 10 for long anyways, while the Wii has nearly double, and its a mario game. caughtjoo
All FF games pushed big week ones, plummet week two, then slowly dropped off there after.

Yeah, its a case where most people who want it, really want it, and get it as soon as possible.
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GulliversTravel

[QUOTE="GulliversTravel"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

I wish I understood why you think this. Development will not shift to Ps3. That's where it has been this entire time.

Oh okay, youre a step ahead of me:P

If i understood you correctly that is... if not then as weve discussed before, the Wii isnt selling third-party software there at all. The PS3 is doing way better in that regard. Mid-tier development will kick into gear now which is what really drives Japanese hardware sales as we saw with the Saturn, PC-E and even the Mega Drive, and seeing how the PS3 is already doing well on the big-budget stuff, id say Japanese gamers will have no reason to ignore the system.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="AgentA-Mi6"] The Userbase may be as large as five millions by now and 250k New Ps3's were sold mostly because FF came out, Its not like we have solid hardware sales figures for december in Japan. What Im saying is that FFXIII could regain the top spot next week.GulliversTravel

I know youll disagree but this late in the life cycle, games rarely sell at such a high attach rate, MGS4s hardware sales were nowhere as high. This could be the proper beginning of the PS3 in Japan.

Realistically, no system selling at gamecube levels gets a game of FF13's importance while still havin far better support than the market leader. I agree this is the Trey's real beginning in Japan, I disagre development is going to switch.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="GulliversTravel"]Yeah it simply wont, but the PS3 userbase is about to hit 4.5 million this week. Its exciting though, a few weeks of good sales could shift Japanese development for the rest of the generation.GulliversTravel

If i understood you correctly that is... if not then as weve discussed before, the Wii isnt selling third-party software there at all. The PS3 is doing way better in that regard. Mid-tier development will kick into gear now which is what really drives Japanese hardware sales as we saw with the Saturn, PC-E and even the Mega Drive, and seeing how the PS3 is already doing well on the big-budget stuff, id say Japanese gamers will have no reason to ignore the system.

I agree to some extent. Wii 3rd party sales are flat in Japan since it doesn't get support. It could have been different but that's irrelevant, they are mediocore. My real problem is mid tier stuff is has always been on the Try, its not going to ramp up considerably. The Trey will perform better than ever but this developmet you speak of, its always been on the PS3. The idea that its going to get considerably stronger confuses.

GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GulliversTravel

[QUOTE="GulliversTravel"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

I agree to some extent. Wii 3rd party sales are flat in Japan since it doesn't get support. It could have been different but that's irrelevant, they are mediocore. My real problem is mid tier stuff is has always been on the Try, its not going to ramp up considerably. The Trey will perform better than ever but this developmet you speak of, its always been on the PS3. The idea that its going to get considerably stronger confuses.

I disagree, the amount of releases Japan gets is astounding, with the HD systems, you can pretty much count them. Big-budget games from big name franchises have come and gone and have done little for long term hardware sales. Its simply down the fact that unlike the DS and PSP which are flooded with those sorts of releases and so have an image amongst the gamers there that they are just systems to own, the PS3 only seems to be scoring hits every once in a while. However now, with big Blu-Ray adoption, an affordable price and a library that seems very full, Japanese gamers will buy the system way more regularly, and even as it is, the userbase has grown far too big to be ignored by the developers.