Fallout 3 and Oblivion... two of the most overrated RPGs?

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SquatsAreAwesom
SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SquatsAreAwesom
Member since 2009 • 1678 Posts

Please read before commenting.

I really love RPGs, both WRPGs and JRPGs. Why? The stories are usually what captivate me, and the epic battles that drive them. They make you, and your party in the game feel powerful and important. In a sense, you are living in the game director's dream world. The games that do this very well are just about any of the great JRPGs and WRPGs of the past. Mass Effect also brings forth the same formula, of a well written story, tightely woven with enjoyable gameplay. Witcher as well... but let me stop there, because there are just too many to name.

With all of that said... when we compare the giant Fallout 3 and Oblivion titles, I feel... they aren't on the same level. Rather, these two games have a very petty storyline, and their gameplay isn't very engrossing. In fact, both of these two games I quit playing roughly 75% in... Fallout 3, it was roughly after saving my father -- though I did a bunch of side missions. Oblivion... I can't even recall. They did, keep me playing for hours on end... but they gave me no reason to finish the games. I didn't care what the heck happened to the characters, and what their fate would be.

The problem. I think the problem is simple. These two games focus so much on creating this huge open interactive world, that the rest of the effort falls throught he cracks. They obviously didn't hire professional writers to make the story. They also appear to have evaluated the gameplay from a top down approach, instead of making it so the gameplay evolves as you get further in the game. Did it blow people away? Of course! The games both start off as jaw dropping titles... but after putting hours into them, the honeymoon ends... and I'm ready to uninstall, not caring if a sequel ever immerges.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

fallout is effin awesome oblivion not so much. I more of a JRPG fan though

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Difference for me is that FO3 I could enjoy, and Oblivion just turned into one of the most boring games ever. Guess I didn't learn my lesson when I played Morrowind, and that game also bored me to tears.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I agree with the story in Oblivion, didn't think it was really that good. However, my complaints go more towards the number of bugs that the games come with. Bethesda makes some good games, but god do they not know how to polish.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

Well I really felt that Oblivion had too many design flaws to make me care about exploring what it had to offer to the fullest. However, I consider Fallout 3 one of the best games/RPG this generation. It has room for improvement, but I fully explored the title and enjoyed most of it.

I don't really play WRPG for the main story arc to be honest, I save that expectation for JRPG.

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
I loved Oblivion. Fallout, yeah... SO boring.
Cellpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cellpwn
Member since 2007 • 1052 Posts

Bethesda really just needs to get some good writers and make their worlds more alive and exciting.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

No.

Contrary to popular opinion around here, I actually liked Oblivion. Fallout 3 is pretty awesome as well.

shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

Cant speak for Fallout but Oblivion had people going crazy for it when it launched. I thought it was overrated then. But now the game is bashed so much, you would think it was with the Superman 64s, ETs and the Big Rigs.

I personally didnt like the game but i actually think its underrated in relation to the amount of hate it gets. At least here anyway.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

I loved Oblivion. Fallout, yeah... SO boring.rockguy92

Oddly I felt the huge copy and paste world of Oblivion was more boring overall.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I enjoyed them both. They offered a refreshing change from the usual rpg formula.

TOOLFRENZY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TOOLFRENZY
Member since 2004 • 571 Posts

I absolutely loved Oblivion. SO many hours put into it.

Couldn't really get into Fallout, too much of dull shooter feel for my taste, but I can easily see how people who prefer the lonely, deserted feel could love it.

LeGoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LeGoofyGoober
Member since 2009 • 3168 Posts

i didn't bother reading your OP because i'm not much for opinions. but, i'll give you mine anyway. Oblivion & Fallout 3 are 2 of the greatest WRPG's of this gen

LeGoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LeGoofyGoober

Bethesda really just needs to get some good writers and make their worlds more alive and exciting.

Cellpwn

Falliut 3 wasn't exciting? :|

LeGoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LeGoofyGoober

Difference for me is that FO3 I could enjoy, and Oblivion just turned into one of the most boring games ever. Guess I didn't learn my lesson when I played Morrowind, and that game also bored me to tears.

treedoor

ah, you're one of those "i wanna pop somebodys head with a laser/rocket launcher sniper chainsaw rifle" gamers. clearly Morrowind wasn't the game for you

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

LeGoofyGoober

ah, you're one of those "i wanna pop somebodys head with a laser/rocket launcher sniper chainsaw rifle" gamers. clearly Morrowind wasn't the game for you

No, I actually don't care about any of that stuff. What I care about is whether or not a game brings me enjoyment. Morrowind, and Oblivion put me to bed which I guess is somewhat good as sleep is healthy.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#17 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
I enjoyed both games storyline, and with Fallout 3, the sidequests made me love the world of the capital wasteland even more.
Cellpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cellpwn

[QUOTE="Cellpwn"]

LeGoofyGoober

It was a step above Oblivion, but didn't hold me for long. Maybe I should give it another shot, I kind of quit playing after finishing that mediocre main plot.

SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SquatsAreAwesom

i didn't bother reading your OP because i'm not much for opinions. but, i'll give you mine anyway. Oblivion & Fallout 3 are 2 of the greatest WRPG's of this gen

LeGoofyGoober
Thanks for contributing then.
LeGoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LeGoofyGoober

[QUOTE="LeGoofyGoober"]

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

treedoor

No, I actually don't care about any of that stuff. What I care about is whether or not a game brings me enjoyment. Morrowind, and Oblivion put me to bed which I guess is somewhat good as sleep is healthy.

yeah, Morrowind isn't for everyone. it's really only for hardcore gamers TBH. which is why i loved it. it's funny though, mario/luigi games are so mind numingly simple and boring they make me depressed. (IMO). except for Mario 64. that game was awesome

LeGoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LeGoofyGoober

[QUOTE="LeGoofyGoober"]

[QUOTE="Cellpwn"]

Cellpwn

It was a step above Oblivion, but didn't hold me for long. Maybe I should give it another shot, I kind of quit playing after finishing that mediocre main plot.

you're not supposed to rush into the story. you're supposed to do all the side quests. then the story. you played it wrong. :|

cantor2537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cantor2537
Member since 2007 • 427 Posts

I think you hit it on the head. What separates a good RPG from a great one is the story, for me anyway. Both FO3 and Oblivion fall a bit flat on that. however, I still enjoyed exploring the worlds and such. I certainly don't appreciate them as much as I do JRPGs--in particular Persona 4, any of the FF, or even Eternal Sonata or Tales of Vesperia. But thats just a personal taste

Cellpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cellpwn

[QUOTE="Cellpwn"]

[QUOTE="LeGoofyGoober"]

LeGoofyGoober

you're not supposed to rush into the story. you're supposed to do all the side quests. then the story. you played it wrong. :|

-_- Nerd rage rising. In Oblivion, I did a ton of sidequests prior to digging into the main story. Once I finished the story, I went around and did some more sidequests. As for Fallout, yes, I was engaged with the story at first. After a few quests in the main story, I was like "what the heck, I'll just finish the main plot and go around afterwards and do some sidequests". Silly of me to think I'd be given the choice to continue playing after I finish the main story like they did in Oblivion, I guess.

Also, sorry, I didn't know I could "play it wrong". One more thing: :|

SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SquatsAreAwesom
you're not supposed to rush into the story. you're supposed to do all the side quests. then the story. you played it wrong. :|LeGoofyGoober
Can't tell if serious.
HGAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 HGAT
Member since 2008 • 1366 Posts

I gotboth and prefered fallout, I liked them more thanlost odessy and i did enjoy that as well,but i'mgetting bored to tears with JPRG's the storylines arealways the same just different scenery.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

To me, Bethesda games have always been more about YOUR characters story as opposed to some over-reaching arch. However, having said that, Morrowind did an excellent job of making the whole story ABOUT your character, and in that regard both Oblivion and Fallout 3 fall flat.

2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#27 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

They may suck, but at least they're not as cliche as every single JRPG out there.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

Why would you uninstall? One word: Mods. They can change a game entirely (especially Oblivion and Fallout 3, since they both have huge modding communities), and can essentially bring the replay value up to several thousand hours. They completely changed the original STALKER and made it one of the best singleplayer FPS of all time, and they did the same with Oblivion and Fallout 3. Anyway...

Fallout 3 and Oblivion are both action-RPGs. Fallout 3 doesn't have a huge problem with level scaling. Oblivion did, which is why I can almost understand the criticism it gets. It makes all exploration worthless. All sense of accomplishment is essentailly rendered void from the beginning. However, that doesn't mean the games aren't fantastic in their own right. They both create immersive worlds, and some of the quests and questlines are fairly well-written (although the main quest in both games is horrible). The atmosphere and backstory is strong in both games (much stronger in Oblivion), there's plenty to do, and none of the gameplay mechanics are downright poor. They could touch up Oblivion's combat and magic system, as well as Fallout 3's combat system. Most of the problems are just variable tweaking. Both games accomplished a lot in making the gameworld feel interactive. Long gone are the days where the player has little to no input on something like combat, lockpicking, or hacking, and I say good riddance.

They both had their flaws though (level-scaling and weak RPG elements pretty much sum it up), but I wouldn't say their vanilla incarnations are overrated enough to be called the "most overrated RPGs."

Gamerz1569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gamerz1569
Member since 2008 • 2087 Posts

Both overrated.

Both crappy story (WRPGS should have a good story)

Both get repetitive, in Oblivion half the time I was grinding getting skill to level up

Both had very identical areas

Both were BUGGY TO ENDS EARTH

Avatar image for DontBeHatin1983
DontBeHatin1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DontBeHatin1983
Member since 2008 • 1044 Posts

they are good games i would give them a 6.5/10 but they get boring fast. every thing in both games looks the same and the story sucks too but i was very disappointed by fallout

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

exactly how i feel about those games:

they are great... for a while.

The fact is that the "while" we're talking about takes some hundred hours to bore you.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Oblivion: YES.

Fallout 3: A little, but not nearly to the extent of Oblivion. Fallout 3 still has a few of the flaws from Oblivion (terrible main story, lame characters, horrible animations, quest bugs, etc.) but it actually has sidequests with variety, a world that isn't the exact same meadow pasted over a thousand times, stats/skills that actually matter, and the level scaling isn't anywhere near the stupidity that was in Oblivion.

swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#33 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

Haven't played FO3 yet, but I do know that Oblivion wasn't that great, compared to Morrowind ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
No. Fallout 3 is one of the best games this gen.
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts
Personally Oblivion was one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Fallout 3 was great too. I like the idea of being able to be anyone you want to be in a giant game world. The choices are unlimited. But because of the unlimited choices, it's hard to write a coherent story that will suck the player in. Give them unlimited choices and they have the option to not have to play by your rules. With that said I thought Mass Effect was an amazing game, the story was fun and kept me following through the end. The problem was it didn't last long. I put about 10x's more hours in Oblivion than Mass Effect. I'm hoping Mass Effect 2 will clock in at almost 40 hours. If I could somehow merge the three games and make Mass Out Scrolls 5 we'd have the ultimate WRPG.
Heartagram_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Heartagram_03
Member since 2005 • 3697 Posts

Oblivion is one of my favorite RPG's this gen, truly amazing stuff. Fallout 3 was great, the main quest was alright and there wasn't enough side quests. Still Fallout 3 is fun for an RPG survival horror. I'd recommend Fallout 3 for pc though, it makes the experience 10x better.

Ross_the_B0SS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ross_the_B0SS
Member since 2008 • 1210 Posts

I agree both of the stories are piss poor. It's the atmosphere of the worlds that draw me in. With that said, I liked Oblivion and I hated Fallout 3.

LeGoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LeGoofyGoober

[QUOTE="LeGoofyGoober"]

[QUOTE="Cellpwn"]

Cellpwn

-_- Nerd rage rising. In Oblivion, I did a ton of sidequests prior to digging into the main story. Once I finished the story, I went around and did some more sidequests. As for Fallout, yes, I was engaged with the story at first. After a few quests in the main story, I was like "what the heck, I'll just finish the main plot and go around afterwards and do some sidequests". Silly of me to think I'd be given the choice to continue playing after I finish the main story like they did in Oblivion, I guess.

Also, sorry, I didn't know I could "play it wrong". One more thing: :|

Treat Fallout 3 with respect. buy all the DLC's. raises your level cap & lets you play beyond the final quest. you also get a ninja stealth suit. :|

LeGoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LeGoofyGoober

they are good games i would give them a 6.5/10 but they get boring fast. every thing in both games looks the same and the story sucks too but i was very disappointed by fallout

DontBeHatin1983

6.5 for Fallout 3? based on what? :|

Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
I agree ME is way better. I played FO3 for 30 hours after that it became a chore. Too nuch repetition, too much of the content is the same dungeon/train station you already went to twenty times. IMO Beth need to cut down on quantity and get more quality.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
I had fun with both no denying it, but they lack almost everything that makes WRPGs good.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Hated Oblivion, Fallout 3 was alot better. On another note Fallout New Vegas will be better then FO3.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Im_single
Hated Oblivion, Fallout 3 was alot better. On another note Fallout New Vegas will be better then FO3. SAGE_OF_FIRE
Out of shear curiosity what makes you think that New Vegas will be better than FO3? Not saying it wont or anything but why do you say it will be better?
dsfan64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 dsfan64
Member since 2005 • 788 Posts

while it can get a little stale fallout 3 is one of the best games i've ever played.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]Hated Oblivion, Fallout 3 was alot better. On another note Fallout New Vegas will be better then FO3. Im_single
Out of shear curiosity what makes you think that New Vegas will be better than FO3? Not saying it wont or anything but why do you say it will be better?

Obsidian Entertainment is making the game which was formed from Black Isle Studios... they created Fallout 1 and 2.
Jekken6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 Jekken6
Member since 2008 • 2642 Posts

I enjoyed both games immesnsely, but after i got the PC version of Oblivion, i realised all the design flaws. It was a pretty fun game, but not very challenging.

Fallout 3 improved that and it's gameplay was more enjoyable. Both game's MQ wasn't excellent, but some of the sidequests in Oblivion were brilliant and same with fallout 3.

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Im_single
[QUOTE="Im_single"][QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]Hated Oblivion, Fallout 3 was alot better. On another note Fallout New Vegas will be better then FO3. SAGE_OF_FIRE

Obsidian Entertainment is making the game which was formed from Black Isle Studios... they created Fallout 1 and 2.

Fair enough.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Worst "RPGs" i've played this gen.
-PuLse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 -PuLse
Member since 2009 • 538 Posts

Bethesda RPGs are horribly overrated IMO.

I prefer Obsidian to them.

redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 redstormrisen
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
I enjoyed Fallout far more than Oblivion. Fallout has the interesting and in depth background that I just didnt get when playing Oblivion. Oblivions world screamed "generic high fantasy" from the beginning and didn't do anything to change my opnion. That coupled with the annoying leveling and encounter system, left me with a sour taste in my mouth. After playing things such as WFRPG and Exalted settings like Oblviions can feel very bland.