Face-Off: Alien: Isolation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

PS4 wins again.

Verdict "Performance is obviously the deciding factor here and it's clear PS4 has a distinct advantage. As such the PS4 game gets our recommendation for console owners, even though we're left with the nagging feeling that 60fps should have been possible on Sony's hardware based on the game's PC showing."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-alien-isolation-face-off

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Yeah, i just read it. Honestly, DF's abit off on that part

The frame rate on the xbone is messed up. Games like Sniper Elite 3 run locked at 30 on the xb1, and still have massive fluctuations on the PS4. So in this case, i can't see the ps4 keeping 60fps at all.

Still, looking at benchmarks, it's abit hard to see why it's not 60 frames on both consoles.I guess it's really a CPU thing. Sure, they suck, but even lower end GPUs can reach 60. Weird.

This is probably the same case as to why AC Unity is 900p on both consoles.Same res, and xbone gets shitty frame rates

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

The devs are PC centric, that is why the PC version is good.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Who cares if PS4 owners don't even buy this game (because they'd rather get mediocre DriveClub)? Considering how easy it is to max out this game at 1080p and more than 60fps on even older PCs, it's a massive defeat than victory for consoles. Besides, not in all situations does the PS4 version perform better.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

So PC > PS4 > Xbone > 360 > PS3 naturally. Sure hope none of you put money on it being any different.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Salt_The_Fries

Apparently this game uses light and speakers on Dual Shock 4 in a novel way. Anyone plays it on PS4?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

This just shows that this gen is still very early in its cycle. This game should easily run at 60 fps on both these consoles, but the developers are still trying to figure out the hardware.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 killzowned24

@JangoWuzHere said:

This just shows that this gen is still very early in its cycle. This game should easily run at 60 fps on both these consoles, but the developers are still trying to figure out the hardware.

More like pure laziness. Killzone and BF4 take a huge dump on these graphics.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Apparently this game uses light and speakers on Dual Shock 4 in a novel way. Anyone plays it on PS4?

The motion detector noise comes through the speaker. I prefer playing the game with earphones though, more immersive.

Dunno about the light, probably just gets brighter when you turn the flashlight on.

Elaisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Elaisse
Member since 2012 • 647 Posts

If devs are confused on this very old x86 hardware they really shouldn't be doing what they are doing.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Salt_The_Fries

there's no other way than to play this game on headphones btw

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@killzowned24 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

Killzone was made by a first party dev and BF4 was a buggy technical mess for a whole year.

What's your point?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clyde46
@JangoWuzHere said:

@killzowned24 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

Killzone was made by a first party dev and BF4 was a buggy technical mess for a whole year.

What's your point?

KZ is boring as hell and BF4 is still buggy.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clyde46

@Elaisse said:

If devs are confused on this very old x86 hardware they really shouldn't be doing what they are doing.

You do know that its Creative Assembly that are making this? You know, the guys who made and are still making the Total War series.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I have seen the game on both consoles. I guess I need a machine to tell me the difference. No clear winner.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By killzowned24

@JangoWuzHere said:

@killzowned24 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

What's your point?

That's the thing though. These guys had practically a years extra time and still fall below.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

Been playing it on my 360 and having a blast, graphics ain't everything, this is probably one of the est stealth games ever in my opinion.

Finally managed to complete Crew expendable last night and i am only up to Mission 7 on Isolation after 10 hours of play.

This game is challenging and you will die a LOT, it's a refreshing change.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 delta3074

@Salt_The_Fries said:

there's no other way than to play this game on headphones btw

Completely agree, it's the best way to determine where the Alien is using the sound of it's movements and it's just more immersive, this is one gamw ehere you don't want Ambient Background noise.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

only in a cow's mind does 2nd place=winning lol

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

You mean like Lemmings where doing previous gen?

-sukraj----

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -sukraj----
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

mah channa sagga both look nice troll ok boss?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

The frame rate on the xbone is messed up. Games like Sniper Elite 3 run locked at 30 on the xb1, and still have massive fluctuations on the PS4. So in this case, i can't see the ps4 keeping 60fps at all.

Still, looking at benchmarks, it's abit hard to see why it's not 60 frames on both consoles.I guess it's really a CPU thing. Sure, they suck, but even lower end GPUs can reach 60. Weird.

This is probably the same case as to why AC Unity is 900p on both consoles.Same res, and xbone gets shitty frame rates

Dude Sniper Elite hit 60FPS on PS4 quite regular,and is mostly on 50,SE3 is not locked on xbox one,it is when you active v-synch to get read of the horrible screen tearing it has that the game gets lock to 30FPS.

DF even made a video comparing the lock version vs the unlock one,the gap between the lock and unlock version ranged from 4 to 20 FPS,but was mostly between 10 and 14 FPS,while the PS4 version was a step abode the unlock xbox one version already when the xbox one get locked the gap the PS4 has is basically average 48 and cross over 50 quite allot to.

In fact the xbox one version on Sniper elite even lock drops below 30 FPS to 27 and 28 FPS,the PS4 never does that the lower it goes is like 33.

This game is not Sniper Elite there isn't tons of things happening,it is clear that if a 7770 can run it at 49 FPS the PS4 should run it at 60,this game was hold back on PS4 because of the xbox one version it is very clear,the 7770 beating the PS4 is a joke.

And i am not the only one who think so apparently DF also think so.

This game is a corridor shooter with almost nothing going on,i t should be 60FPS on PS4,this people screwed up there is frame drops on PS4 to 26 when nothing is happening that scream fu** up.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

You can increase the draw distance on the Shadows for no pop in & make them 4096 resolution, it barely hurts the performance depending on your PC, don't know why they didn't include these higher options on PC, probably to keep the settings on par to PS4/Xbone, their crappy CPU's can't do good Shadows

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

So much this.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Just beat it on ps4. Easily my fav game this year. I was watching nukemdukem bitch about the length, but he played it all in one day. More proof youtubers do not possess a brain. Anyways ca should leave total war and make more of these type games.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DEadliNE-Zero0

@tormentos said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

Dude Sniper Elite hit 60FPS on PS4 quite regular,and is mostly on 50,SE3 is not locked on xbox one,it is when you active v-synch to get read of the horrible screen tearing it has that the game gets lock to 30FPS.

Not it doesn't. It jumps between 40 and 60 most of the time. And i know that about the xbone. Ense why i made the comparison. 30fps locked, mostly, on the xb1 vs 40-55-60 on the ps4.

Tomb Raider DE, which was when the xb1 performance was worse overall, also can't keep it locked at 60. Outside of sports games liek FIFA, and Wolfenstein TNO, which uses ID Tech 5, i can't think of any game where the Piss 4 keeps a steady frame rate at 60.

DF even made a video comparing the lock version vs the unlock one,the gap between the lock and unlock version ranged from 4 to 20 FPS,but was mostly between 10 and 14 FPS,while the PS4 version was a step abode the unlock xbox one version already when the xbox one get locked the gap the PS4 has is basically average 48 and cross over 50 quite allot to.

So you admit the average on the PS4 is bellow 50fps. Thanks, i know. The PS4 also hits 60 on many cases in TB, but, just like SE3, it can't keep it above 55 most of the time.

In fact the xbox one version on Sniper elite even lock drops below 30 FPS to 27 and 28 FPS,the PS4 never does that the lower it goes is like 33.

Yup. It suffers from fluctuations here and there despite the patch, but again proves my point. 30fps (mostly) on the xbone translates to 40-55fps on the PS4

So now Alien Isolation with large dips on the xb1 is going to translate to 60fps locked on the PS4? Amazing stuff there my friend

This game is not Sniper Elite there isn't tons of things happening,it is clear that if a 7770 can run it at 49 FPS the PS4 should run it at 60,this game was hold back on PS4 because of the xbox one version it is very clear,the 7770 beating the PS4 is a joke.

Not sure if serious. Again, both console equivilant GPUs are hitting around 50 to 60 from the graph, which is why i also find it strange. I don't like calling devs lazy, but, there is a chance this could be the case for neither runing at 60.

Point is, there's no game i can think of, besides maybe Murdered Soul Suspect (for some strange reason), where, when in a position in which the xb1 does an average of 30fps (give or take some differences), the PS4 does 60fps ON AVERAGE (give or take some differences).

And i am not the only one who think so apparently DF also think so.

Keep reaching

This game is a corridor shooter with almost nothing going on,i t should be 60FPS on PS4,this people screwed up there is frame drops on PS4 to 26 when nothing is happening that scream fu** up.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Who cares if PS4 owners don't even buy this game (because they'd rather get mediocre DriveClub)? Considering how easy it is to max out this game at 1080p and more than 60fps on even older PCs, it's a massive defeat than victory for consoles. Besides, not in all situations does the PS4 version perform better.

Lmao at your failed attempt to sink PS4 with X1. Sorry your x1 is a weak piece of shit lol. PS4 has better specs. Better specs =better performance. End of. PS3 has more superior multiplats for its time than X1. Deal with it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Sagemode87: ...says the PS4 fanboy

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

Cows DCing screaming "parity" when DF suspects the weak ass tablet CPU is the culprit lol

PS4 the console that almost does 60fps, but not quite, as pointed above, there's no "next-gen" PS4 game that can do 60fps locked unless something is sacrificed (res in case of W: TNO).

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

I have seen the game on both consoles. I guess I need a machine to tell me the difference. No clear winner.

have to agree after reading the article it seems as if DF only gripe between the two versions was that xbox frame rate dipped to 28fps, but they still give PS4 the win despite saying frame rate drops during combat. After the whole Ryse thing and DF admitting they don't really play through the games I'm starting to wonder about them. It seems as if they favor consoles over PC, with PS4 being their most favorable.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Salt_The_Fries

@slimdogmilionar said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

have to agree after reading the article it seems as if DF only gripe between the two versions was that xbox frame rate dipped to 28fps, but they still give PS4 the win despite saying frame rate drops during combat. After the whole Ryse thing and DF admitting they don't really play through the games I'm starting to wonder about them. It seems as if they favor consoles over PC, with PS4 being their most favorable.

They only compared segments which had scripted events in them, because there were the same events. It's not really an objective way of judging since so much stuff in the game is non-scripted, including vast majority of encounters with the Alien.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FoxbatAlpha

@slimdogmilionar said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

It think they love the controversy. DF need clicks just like any other site. The controversy fuels their agenda and if they can declare a winner over something happening in the background that the human eye can't detect........................then that is just biased and wrong.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

I think Sony and MS both made huge mistakes going with such low power AMD CPUs.

Had MS gone with a better CPU, it couldve help offset the difference in GPU/Bandwidth.

If anyone couldve pulled it off it was MS with how HUGE the XB1 is. Cooling wouldnt be a problem lol

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

I just watch the movie recently (like a couple of weeks ago) and let me say: It is great.

lolostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lolostrib
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

no contribution

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Salt_The_Fries

I think only Alien itself would discern the differences between PS4 and Xbone.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Salt_The_Fries

@ShadowDeathX said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Those scenes crept me out, with holding breath and stuff...and the music was so intense and had those extremely dark overtones like from Alien 3...

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

Not it doesn't. It jumps between 40 and 60 most of the time. And i know that about the xbone. Ense why i made the comparison. 30fps locked, mostly, on the xb1 vs 40-55-60 on the ps4.

Tomb Raider DE, which was when the xb1 performance was worse overall, also can't keep it locked at 60. Outside of sports games liek FIFA, and Wolfenstein TNO, which uses ID Tech 5, i can't think of any game where the Piss 4 keeps a steady frame rate at 60.

o.

So you admit the average on the PS4 is bellow 50fps. Thanks, i know. The PS4 also hits 60 on many cases in TB, but, just like SE3, it can't keep it above 55 most of the time.

Yup. It suffers from fluctuations here and there despite the patch, but again proves my point. 30fps (mostly) on the xbone translates to 40-55fps on the PS4

So now Alien Isolation with large dips on the xb1 is going to translate to 60fps locked on the PS4? Amazing stuff there my friend

Not sure if serious. Again, both console equivilant GPUs are hitting around 50 to 60 from the graph, which is why i also find it strange. I don't like calling devs lazy, but, there is a chance this could be the case for neither runing at 60.

Point is, there's no game i can think of, besides maybe Murdered Soul Suspect (for some strange reason), where, when in a position in which the xb1 does an average of 30fps (give or take some differences), the PS4 does 60fps ON AVERAGE (give or take some differences).

Keep reaching

Yes is does look at the video they show it hit 60FPS,it drops to 40's but mostly run high 40's low 50's,which is from 15 to 23 FPS faster than on xbox one and is quite a gap.

Tomb Raider actually hold 60FPS more than Sniper Elite dude,and just like on Sniper Elite on Tomb Raider the xbox one is not running the same quality of effects either they are water down.

Alien Isolation runs at 49 FPS on a 7770 so yeah it should be 60FPS lock on PS4,and it shows the game was a quick cash grab or downplayed to keep parity with the xbox one,the PS4 is over a 7770 in power and it has showed quite a few times.

@FoxbatAlpha said:

lol...

@slimdogmilionar said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

So when they say parity achieve DF is good but when they say xbox one falls behind they are biased.?

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

@FoxbatAlpha said:

It think they love the controversy. DF need clicks just like any other site. The controversy fuels their agenda and if they can declare a winner over something happening in the background that the human eye can't detect........................then that is just biased and wrong.

But but but DF is biased...lol

Yeah now they are last year when they were doing secret sauce article after article they weren't...lol

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

@tormentos said:

@slimdogmilionar said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

So when they say parity achieve DF is good but when they say xbox one falls behind they are biased.?

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

I dunno but there judgement seems a little iffy to me sometimes, the comparisons they made about Ryse on XB1 vs PC were completely inaccurate, they tried to say the Xbox version looked better. In every face off I read from them they always talk about PS4 problems but never highlight them in the closing arguments like they do the xbox and end up giving the game to PS4 based on PS4 having higher resolution. GO back and look at games like Trials, Wolfenstein, and Assassins Creed its obvious Xb has better texture detail but for some reason 1080p always trumps image quality.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FoxbatAlpha

@tormentos: I wish you could take a step back and listen to yourself. You might actually want to punch yourself in the mouth.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@tormentos said:

Yes is does look at the video they show it hit 60FPS,it drops to 40's but mostly run high 40's low 50's,which is from 15 to 23 FPS faster than on xbox one and is quite a gap.

So you do agree with me. 60fps would imply your fluctuating between 55 and 60, maybe 50 if it's a really "heavy", and maybe some rare moments with heavy dips.

But your just confirmating what i said. It runs at alittle bit close to sub-50 on average. And i know it's better than the xb1. It's still not enough to get a proper, stable 60 frame rate experience. The PS4 just isn't powerfull enough for that in comparison to the xbone.

Tomb Raider actually hold 60FPS more than Sniper Elite dude,and just like on Sniper Elite on Tomb Raider the xbox one is not running the same quality of effects either they are water down.

HAHAHA. Tomb Raider is even worse due to being a launch title. The frame rate on stays at 60 on a few moments in teh Dogital Foundry video.

Alien Isolation runs at 49 FPS on a 7770 so yeah it should be 60FPS lock on PS4,and it shows the game was a quick cash grab or downplayed to keep parity with the xbox one,the PS4 is over a 7770 in power and it has showed quite a few times.

LOL, This parity shit is funny has hell. Yes, they aimed for it, but i guess the PS4 having better, more stable frame rates and a few better effects doesn't count for anything. Probably the same thing that happened to AC Unity.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By delta3074

@tormentos said:

But but but DF is biased...lol

Yeah now they are last year when they were doing secret sauce article after article they weren't...lol

To be fair you Cows spent a lot of time last gen saying DF where wrong, especially there verdict i Skyrim Because apparently DF where wrong and Massive framerate dips into the lower 10Fps on the was better than having the screen tearing on the 360.

You guys are all hypocrites, cows and lems, you both use the same old excuses every generation

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@sts106mat said:

The game looks amazing on PS4, it is hard as **** though.

It looks even better on PC and runs much better too.

I like that you can even force certain settings to enhance the visuals even more.

Shawty_Beatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shawty_Beatz
Member since 2014 • 1269 Posts

@clyde46 said:

The devs are PC centric, that is why the PC version is good.

@sts106mat said:

@RyviusARC said:

@sts106mat said:

The game looks amazing on PS4, it is hard as **** though.

It looks even better on PC and runs much better too.

I like that you can even force certain settings to enhance the visuals even more.

wow, i am really surprised !

why dont you post some of those super interesting benchmarks again

Boom!