Face it: Halo 3 is a generic shooter.

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10143 Posts
And you know what? There is nothing wrong with that. I hate it when lemmings claim Halo 3 to be the most innovative thing in the galaxy, but I also hate it when people (cows) say: "Oh it's not innovative. Therefore it sucks!" We can all admit that Halo 3 will bring nothing new to the table. But games don't have to. All games have to do is be fun. Moral of the story: Enjoys games for what they are. You want innovation? Play Bioshock or Crysis. You want straight up action? Play Halo 3 or Call of Duty. There's nothing wrong with either.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Please expalin why crysis is so innovative.
MADVLAD123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 MADVLAD123
Member since 2005 • 6053 Posts

Can I have your copy of Halo 3? Because it seems you have already played it...

Anyway, making assumptions doesn't win you arguements.

Also, someone show him that thread about Halo 3 yesterday (I think it was called "Halo 3: What is it?").

Avatar image for FlockofSpagheti
FlockofSpagheti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 FlockofSpagheti
Member since 2007 • 1292 Posts
Bioshock and crysis are not innovative..
Apocalypse33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Apocalypse33
Member since 2006 • 19413 Posts

nice sig

ParkCarsHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 ParkCarsHere
Member since 2004 • 3556 Posts

Thank you SO much. I've been saying this in every Halo 3 post and getting flamed for it, and all the lemmings will probably do that to you as well. Truth it, Halo 3 IS a generic shooter.

Call me a hater all you want, I have it preordered and will definately play it because of the multiplayer community, but it is truly a very generic shooter.

Apocalypse33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Apocalypse33
Member since 2006 • 19413 Posts
Please expalin why crysis is so innovative.sonicare
the innovation is from how much you have to spend ona PC so it can play it.
DrinkDuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DrinkDuff
Member since 2004 • 6762 Posts
But it isn't generic. Halo 1 brought a lot of things to the table and Halo 3 looks to be evolving the series quite well. Just check out that recent thread about Halo 3's new features.
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

Please expalin why crysis is so innovative.sonicare

Its like Farcry...it may not be inovative....but open ended, non-linnear gameplay is not common in FPS's.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts

Halo brought an epic storyline to the table. :| Honestly, i'm happy with that. Most FPS games have little storyline at all, and often the plot is simply an excuse to throw you into certain battlefields a la PDZ and Gears of War. Halo is a genuinely deep, expansive universe to get lost in however. You play to find out what happens next, not just to shoot stuff in the face.

Halo 2 also brought about an incredibly innovative matchmaking and party system which hasn't been matched to this day.

Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

I would hardly call it generic. A game that doesn't straight up innovate in every single way is not necessarily generic.

I don't think Halo 3 will bring anything completely new to the table. It will be an evolution of the groundwork behind the first two games, which were an evolution of the established concepts in the genre.

However, the implementation of these established concepts along with the general direction have always made Halo be anything but "generic". I'm inclined to think most people who argue otherwise either have never played it extensively enough to fully appreciate it or have played only the PC version.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#13 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

MADVLAD123
Ooo! Can I get in on that?! I want a copy of Halo 3!! Oh wait... It's not out... Riiiiight, I see what you did there, you crafty MADVLAD ;)
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 organic_machine

Also, someone show him that thread about Halo 3 yesterday (I think it was called "Halo 3: What is it?").

MADVLAD123

This: oppinion. I am not trying to argue anything. This is all oppinion. I saw that Halo 3 thread. I posted in it. My point remains. If you don't agree that games are for fun, then I pity you.

MADVLAD123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MADVLAD123
[QUOTE="MADVLAD123"]

organic_machine

This: oppinion. I am not trying to argue anything. This is all oppinion. I saw that Halo 3 thread. I posted in it. My point remains. If you don't agree that games are for fun, then I pity you.

You're basing your opinion off nothing. That's my point. Your just making ASSUMPTIONS that Halo 3 is generic. You have never played it before.

Ecity_OfH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ecity_OfH
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Yea Heavenly Sword makes Halo 3 look like a Wii game!
MADVLAD123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MADVLAD123

Yea Heavenly Sword makes Halo 3 look like a Wii game!Ecity_OfH

that's sig worthy.

killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 killtactics
Member since 2004 • 5957 Posts
was't halo the first to do the health system? also the ability to throw nades was cool without changing guns...
Blue-Sphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Blue-Sphere
Member since 2006 • 1972 Posts
In your opinion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Halo brought an epic storyline to the table. :| Honestly, i'm happy with that. Most FPS games have little storyline at all, and often the plot is simply an excuse to throw you into certain battlefields a la PDZ and Gears of War. Halo is a genuinely deep, expansive universe to get lost in however. You play to find out what happens next, not just to shoot stuff in the face.

Halo 2 also brought about an incredibly innovative matchmaking and party system which hasn't been matched to this day.

Ninja-Vox

Very well put. Most fps are far from innovaitve - the basic gameplay is very similar in a lot of them. But each of them have their own unique features, controls, and perks that help to separate them. Halo had a captivating storyline, unique universe, solid gameplay, good graphics, very good enemyand friendlyAI,excellent console controls, well done multiplayer, etc. etc. etc. All of that combined for an experience that was far from "generic." I've played very few shooters that were truly "innovative" -> how do you redefine the fps genre? But I've played many that, like halo, were well done.

Tamarind_Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tamarind_Face
Member since 2007 • 2270 Posts

Ninja-Vox
LOLZ is halo the first game you ever played?how old are you?
Avatar image for FlockofSpagheti
FlockofSpagheti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FlockofSpagheti
Member since 2007 • 1292 Posts

was't halo the first to do the health system? also the ability to throw nades was cool without changing guns...killtactics

a 1996 Pc game called tErra Nova did the recharging shield first...

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
I agree with your point, I´m sure halo fans will have a blast with Halo 3.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 organic_machine

Ninja-Vox

Whether the storyline was good or bad is subjective. I will agree with you that, Halo has a story wheras many games dont. And I do agree that the matchmaking system is an accomplishment. And I believe your points coincide with mine: games are for fun. They dont have to be new or crazy.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]

Tamarind_Face

You must not know much about Halo.
MADVLAD123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MADVLAD123
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]

Tamarind_Face

Ninja-Vox could be 7 years old and he would still be more mature than you. Your just making yourself look like a jerk. So settle down.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 organic_machine
[QUOTE="organic_machine"][QUOTE="MADVLAD123"]

MADVLAD123

You're basing your opinion off nothing. That's my point. Your just making ASSUMPTIONS that Halo 3 is generic. You have never played it before.

Yes. There is such a thing as a non logical argument. There is such a thing as an educated guess. I am not claiming facts. Juts my oppinion. Yes, I am making assumptions. I admit that. For all I know, Crysis and Bioshock could be the biggest flops of the century. I dont know until I have played them. But I have done my research. I know previews are not enough.

sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 sadikovic
Member since 2004 • 3868 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicare"]Please expalin why crysis is so innovative.Apocalypse33
the innovation is from how much you have to spend ona PC so it can play it.

LMAO :lol: that actualy is the right answer.

Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#29 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts

Halo: CE was definitely innovative, much in the way GeoW was--small changes to gameplay mechanics that worked very well. The rechargable health system (albeit only partial) w/ the shields was pretty new, as was the limited weapons stash, the good collection of playable vehicles that actually were interesting to use, etc. The storyline was also very compelling.

Compared to that, Halo 2 had basically no innovation, just different weapons, maps, worse storyline. Halo 3 hopefully improves on the storyline part, giving us a truly epic conclusion to the series. But it probably won't have too many gameplay innovations, since we would have heard about them by now.

That being said, Crysis just seems like Far Cry w/ much much better graphics (it's not an innovation to say you can cut down trees w/ your gun and drop them on your enemies). Bioshock looks fairly innovative with the small collection of distinct entities that have their own behavior that you can manipulate to your advantage (getting Big Daddies to fight the splicers or vice versa, for instance).

D0013ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 D0013ER
Member since 2007 • 3765 Posts

Yea Heavenly Sword makes Halo 3 look like a Wii game!Ecity_OfH

Why does it seem like every time a good bit of PS3 news comes around there's suddenly a surge of new fanboy/troll accounts?

rpawloski2458

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rpawloski2458
Member since 2007 • 775 Posts

Bioshock and crysis are not innovative..FlockofSpagheti

Crysis I understand, but Bioshock looks very unique. Will all of its new ideas gel and come together? We shall see... but it isn't generic or run of the mill...

sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 sadikovic
Member since 2004 • 3868 Posts

[QUOTE="Ecity_OfH"]Yea Heavenly Sword makes Halo 3 look like a Wii game!D0013ER

Why does it seem like every time a good bit of PS3 news comes around there's suddenly a surge of new fanboy/troll accounts?

As Tupac once said "Thats just the way it is"

D0013ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 D0013ER
[QUOTE="D0013ER"]

[QUOTE="Ecity_OfH"]Yea Heavenly Sword makes Halo 3 look like a Wii game!sadikovic

As Tupac once said "Thats just the way it is"

Ah yes, Tupac was wise beyond his years...:P

TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
It's very generic. I'd take Crysis and UT III over Halo 3 anyday.
Avatar image for Captain_Waffles
Captain_Waffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#35 Captain_Waffles
Member since 2005 • 314 Posts
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25801032
daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts
Halo 3 will be a great game, but the only thing seperating it from Call of Duty will be the storyline, which many people who play it will ignore ...
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TrueReligion_

Halo brought an epic storyline to the table. :|

Ninja-Vox

Not really. Halo has a very generic storyline.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 musicalmac  Moderator
Halo 3 will be a great game, but the only thing seperating it from Call of Duty will be the storyline, which many people who play it will ignore ... daqua_99
I am curious to know how you justify such a statement. I mean, what does that even mean? Could I say, "Halo 3 will be a gerat game, but the only thing seperating it from Killzone 2 will be the storyline"?
rpawloski2458

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rpawloski2458
Member since 2007 • 775 Posts

I agree with the TC here. Halo 3, so far, hasn't shown anything really "revolutionary" like the first one did. But, I am totally happy playing a game that does what it does better than anything else out there. So as long as Halo 3 does everything really well, I am ok with the basic improvements most sequels enjoy (better graphics, better AI, improved physics, bigger levels, etc)

D0013ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 D0013ER
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]

TrueReligion_

What are we using as the basis of comparison when calling it a generic storyline?

braydee1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 braydee1234
Member since 2004 • 2937 Posts
Crysis doesn't innovate at all. At least Forge, Saved films and Equipment bring something new and innovate at the same time.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ninja-Vox
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]

TrueReligion_

No it doesn't. Play games before you bash them. I'm not even going to bother explaining why you're wrong because you haven't even played the game we're discussing.....

Private_Vegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Private_Vegas
Member since 2007 • 2783 Posts
Most shooters now-a-days are all generic. But I don't care. I go for fun first, innovation is just gravy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="TrueReligion_"][QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]

D0013ER

What are we using as the basis of comparison when calling it a generic storyline?

the smashing story of unreal tournament.

braydee1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 braydee1234
Member since 2004 • 2937 Posts
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]

TrueReligion_

Did you learn the word "Generic" today? You seem to be using it all the time. It has an unique Sci- Fi storyline which millions of people love.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 organic_machine

I agree with the TC here. Halo 3, so far, hasn't shown anything really "revolutionary" like the first one did. But, I am totally happy playing a game that does what it does better than anything else out there. So as long as Halo 3 does everything really well, I am ok with the basic improvements most sequels enjoy (better graphics, better AI, improved physics, bigger levels, etc)

rpawloski2458

Bingo. People treat the word "generic" as if it were some evil phrase. No, generic can be a great thing. Being generic is what made games like Painkiller And Timesplitters great. Also, to people whining about my Crysis comment: this thread is not about Crysis. It is about Halo 3. Sure, I mentioned Crysis, but that was only to make a point. The point being that Halo 3 will be fun regardless of games like Crysis and Bioshock.

TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TrueReligion_

D0013ER

In terms of originality or innovation. I know these two words are brought up alot here, and I hate to use them--but the fact is that Halo does not have a very original storyline. It does not innovate story-telling in any way. However, that does not mean Halo has a bad storyline. It does not mean Halo's story line isn't captivating or intriguing: the only thing is that it's not original; it brought nothing to the table storywise. People give Bungie too much credit for their storyline in Halo--it's definitely great, but it doesn't deserve all the praise people give it around here.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ninja-Vox

I agree with the TC in that games dont have to be innovative to be good... they just have to be fun. Halo is far from generic however, and just because it doesn't revolutionise the FPS genre doesn't mean it's "generic". To say that is to say pretty much every shooter ever made since wolfenstein is "generic".

Generic by definition is a standard, average, run-of-the-mill affair - and halo sure aint generic.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
[QUOTE="MADVLAD123"]

organic_machine

Look are opinion is not the problem. The problem is that you bring nothing to the table to support your opinion. You cant just sit there, and say something is generic because of what fanboys claim. You have not played the final release of the game. There for how you to know what kind of innovation, or new stuff it might bring? You should fix how you post then people wont bash you.

TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TrueReligion_
[QUOTE="TrueReligion_"][QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]

Ninja-Vox

No it doesn't. Play games before you bash them. I'm not even going to bother explaining why you're wrong because you haven't even played the game we're discussing.....

No need to get offensive. I never bashed Halo's storyline. All I said was that it isn't very original. I never said it was told in a poor manner. I'm a big Halo fan--and I've read all the books. There's no need to get but-hurt.