uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

Good news for people who like video games and hate bullshit.

A senior executive at Bandai Namco doesn’t expect the Japanese publisher to release any of its titles through the Epic Games store while the digital storefront’s focus is on securing exclusives.

Bandai Namco Europe’s SVP of marketing, digital and content Hervé Hoerdt told MVC the Tekken publisher’s strategy is to make its games available to as many consumers as possible.

“We cannot do everything and Japanese [companies] are not risk averse but we’re going slowly. So we have a full platform strategy,” he said. “The main focus for us is the consumer and the brand. And for each brand we decide what’s the best way to satisfy the consumer and to engage the widest audience possible.

“So for instance, I don’t see any point of putting Tekken 7 on Epic Store,” he continued. “Epic is just another store. It’s fantastic, they have a lot of strength and [lots of] users, the business model is attractive to us because it’s more profitable but still, their interest is, if I’m correct, exclusivity.

“And this is not our vision. We want our content to be available for as many fans as possible. I don’t think we’ll deal with Epic in the short term, while we have this strategy. But of course, if they’re open, we’ll go there.”

Upcoming Bandai Namco titles include Elden Ring, which was announced at E3 in June, and Little Nightmares 2, which was revealed at Gamescom in August.

The Epic Games store offers developers an 88 per cent share of the revenue their games bring in, compared to the 70/30 per cent revenue split offered by Steam.

The more attractive revenue split has helped Epic secure some major PCexclusives including Control, Metro: Exodus, Borderlands 3 and Shenmue III.

Epic CEO Tim Sweeney recently defended the company’s strategy of signing PC exclusives for its digital storefront, claiming it’s the only way to challenge Steam.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46282 Posts

Epic store announced 8 exclusives today, I guess I'm just beyond caring.

Also Ubisoft's excuse to not support steam anymore (after they sold millions of copies of games on there) really didn't make much sense to me.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Shareholders, quick return on investment.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Exactly what happened with dlc and microtransaction.

When announced, gamers raged. Rightfully so. But, eventually as with most things, were so bombarded and prolonged with them, coupled with a toothless media, that it became standardised. No one cares.

The horse armour meme is quaint in comparison to the shit we have now.

Had it not been for social media and the likes of youtube making the consumer and more and more informed, things would be even worse than they are now.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

This thread is going to be... epic.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

I'm more offended by Bandai Namcos excessive dlc bullshit

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k

I really learned some interesting stuff about the Epic store, for example Epic doesn't want to sell your game if you don't sign a contract with them to keep your game OFF steam for a year.

This sounds to me like they are not for the betterment of PC gaming, they are just a business and are spending millions to keep games from steam and strongarm customers into using their platform.

But what a lot of these companies don't understand: there is a ton of competition on the market. For every ubisoft that leaves steam there is another company that fills the gap, another game that fills the gap.

People won't flock to Epic to buy Chivalry II for example, the thought process of Tripwire is a mistake, people will just buy Mordhau instead. To give just one example.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

This sounds to me like they are not for the betterment of PC gaming, they are just a business and are spending millions to keep games from steam and strongarm customers into using their platform.

That's exactly it, and shame on game journos for cheerleading and lapping up Epic's "we're saving developers and gaming from steam" BS. I know at least two now-EGS exclusives that were originally slated for both Steam AND GOG; any entity that actively pays to reduce availability isn't the savior of anything.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts
@jeezers said:

I'm more offended by Bandai Namcos excessive dlc bullshit

Does EGS even support DLC?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k
@Postosuchus said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

That's exactly it, and shame on game journos for cheerleading and lapping up Epic's "we're saving developers and gaming from steam" BS. I know at least two now-EGS exclusives that were originally slated for both Steam AND GOG; any entity that actively pays to reduce availability isn't the savior of anything.

Like, ok I get that developers are there to make money too. I get that they are offered a 'bribe' by Epic and that the revenue split they see on Epic is way better than the revenue split on Valve's store.

But see, not offering people a choice is just a **** move. It's not good to make your customer feel left in the cold. This is brushed over by saying "oh, it's just another installer, 5 seconds of work".

No, the PC platform is all about choice. PC has always been about freedom. Epic's game store is all about taking freedom and choice away from PC gamers. That's not the way to go, I feel.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

Does EGS even support DLC?

EGS doesn't even offer a shopping cart... I don't think i've seen anything about DLC.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Good on them.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Postosuchus said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Like, ok I get that developers are there to make money too. I get that they are offered a 'bribe' by Epic and that the revenue split they see on Epic is way better than the revenue split on Valve's store.

But see, not offering people a choice is just a **** move. It's not good to make your customer feel left in the cold. This is brushed over by saying "oh, it's just another installer, 5 seconds of work".

No, the PC platform is all about choice. PC has always been about freedom. Epic's game store is all about taking freedom and choice away from PC gamers. That's not the way to go, I feel.

What freedom gets taken away.

U can play it perfectly fine, download there client done. 1 minute work.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

@Gatygun said:

For me, it's not a "new launcher" issue. It's the fact that Tencent is a major shareholder. I just had a letter in the mail that one of my credit card companies had a major data breach, and they don't even have any reasonable ties to a government, unlike Tencent.

As for freedom in that sense, it's clearly the freedom of choice.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:
@Gatygun said:

For me, it's not a "new launcher" issue. It's the fact that Tencent is a major shareholder. I just had a letter in the mail that one of my credit card companies had a major data breach, and they don't even have any reasonable ties to a government, unlike Tencent.

As for freedom in that sense, it's clearly the freedom of choice.

"Tiananmen Square" and "Winnie Pooh" are banned on the official stream of Valve's Dota 2 Tournament, The International 2019, which is a cooperation between Valve and Shanghai government"

They all in china's bed. and besides that, u shouldn't trust any company with your credit card information why stop at Epic.

Valve is already falling apart for a while now publishers are leaving them from the left to the right because of their idiotic pricing solution and zero effort investments.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

You should be scared if Bandai goes exclusive road. Bandai Namco is the publisher for From Soft souls game and their next release is Elden Ring. I don't really care as Bloodborne 2 >>>>>>>>> elden ring anyday but for pc players that will be quite a rage.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

“So for instance, I don’t see any point of putting Tekken 7 on Epic Store,” he continued. “Epic is just another store. It’s fantastic, they have a lot of strength and [lots of] users, the business model is attractive to us because it’s more profitable but still, their interest is, if I’m correct, exclusivity."

I don't get why they can't have their games on Epic store as well as other stores. Why not release Tekken 7 on Epic store? Would Epic force them to remove the game on Steam? If that's the case, Epic is a truly disgusting company. They can and are buying themselves big because they caught lightning in a bottle with a shitty BR game with overpriced cosmetics. Awesome. It's amazing how great respect for a company can die so fast.