NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

Epic games is having their developers focus more on Fortnite instead of Paragon due to it's Battle Royale success. Welp Paragon is probably going to die. Unreal Tournament is completely free so I guess that isn't going to get updated anytime soon unless there is more freedom/help in the crowdsource development. I don't know why Epic is keeping their games off of Steam its pretty stupid as its not like they're a huge publishing company like Activision-Blizzard or EA whose titles are big enough they can afford to miss out on users that refuse to buy them on Steam.

I wonder what state Epic Games would be in if the Battle Royale trend didn't exist and Brendan Greene didn't give the game a ton of publicity by complaining about how much of a rip off it was. At this point it appears Epic Games is just cruising on whatever's trending and hoping to find success there.

Update: Epic Games have announced that they're shutting down Paragon on April 26, 2018. Epic games is proving full refunds for purchases people made on all platforms.

I called it, now is your only chance to try out Paragon before it gets shutdown.

source

Hey Everyone,

It’s with heavy hearts we’ve decided to close down Paragon.

We truly appreciate everything you’ve put into Paragon. We received many passionate ideas for where to take the game; the outpouring of thoughtful suggestions is another testament to this incredible community.

After careful consideration, and many difficult internal debates, we feel there isn’t a clear path for us to grow Paragon into a MOBA that retains enough players to be sustainable.

We didn’t execute well enough to deliver on the promise of Paragon. We have failed you -- despite the team’s incredibly hard work -- and we’re sorry.

To try to make this right, Epic is offering a full refund to every Paragon player for every purchase on any platform. This refund will come directly from Epic rather than your platform provider.

To request your refund, follow these steps:

1. If you’re not playing on PC, link your Epic account (create one if necessary).
  2. If you play on PC, or have already linked your Epic account, you can request your refund here.

We’ll continue operating Paragon servers until April 26, 2018. As the player population continues to decrease, matchmaking times and quality will further degrade.

Thank you for joining us on this journey and for your dedication to Paragon.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Fortnite BR which is f2p, available on all platforms(except the Switch obv) has 2/3rd's of PUBG players

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#3 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

Fortnite BR is totally dope. Pretty much look forward to it all the time lately.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NoodleFighter

@howmakewood: It has 40 million players and 2 million concurrent users, not bad

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

wasn't Fortnite that game where they charged a higher than average price to buy a game in early access that would be free to play at release and pretty much required you to buy items to realistically progress?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

@howmakewood: It has 40 million players and 2 million concurrent users, not bad

yup so 2/3rd of pubg in conc users, it's pretty big on all platforms

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sam3231

@tryit said:

wasn't Fortnite that game where they charged a higher than average price to buy a game in early access that would be free to play at release and pretty much required you to buy items to realistically progress?

Well the Battle Royale portion of the game has always been completely free. And that portion, at least is not Pay 2 Win. For the rest of the game I dunno.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Great news. Mobas suck so much ass.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NoodleFighter

@Litchie: well to be fair its a 3rd person action moba which there are so few of Smite and Gigantic are the only other ones I know of

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

What do you do in Fortnite's PUBG game mode ?

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NoodleFighter

@R4gn4r0k: Same thing you do in PUBG except you can build stuff and use jump pads instead of vehicles

nishanth12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 nishanth12
Member since 2008 • 678 Posts

To think that these guys once made games like Gears of War. Pff, industry these days...

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sam3231

@R4gn4r0k said:

What do you do in Fortnite's PUBG game mode ?

Well it's pretty similar to PUBG. You free fall from a "battle bus" once you land, you basically just kill others and try to be the last one alive. You can play as a single, duo or squad (4).

There are no vehicles, and the map is smaller than PUBG. You start out with a melee weapon you can use to destroy structures and collect resources. You can also hurt people with it, but it's better to scavenge weapons (i.e. guns, grenades) as they do considerably more damage. You can use resources to build various panels and platforms to make a structure. Most commonly you can build staircases to reach high places, or build various walls to avoid enemy fire.

I would suggest searching it on Youtube for a better idea.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

RIP Paragon, the first moba to not look like complete ass.

Dunno if it ever really took off tho.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NoodleFighter

@dxmcat said:

RIP Paragon, the first moba to not look like complete ass.

Dunno if it ever really took off tho.

As far as I know back in 2017 around april they said the game almost had 1 million active players and in Jul 2017 stated the game had 7.3 million registered users

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k

@Sam3231 said:

Well it's pretty similar to PUBG. You free fall from a "battle bus" once you land, you basically just kill others and try to be the last one alive. You can play as a single, duo or squad (4).

There are no vehicles, and the map is smaller than PUBG. You start out with a melee weapon you can use to destroy structures and collect resources. You can also hurt people with it, but it's better to scavenge weapons (i.e. guns, grenades) as they do considerably more damage. You can use resources to build various panels and platforms to make a structure. Most commonly you can build staircases to reach high places, or build various walls to avoid enemy fire.

I would suggest searching it on Youtube for a better idea.

I've followed Fortnite a long way through it's development, so the mechanics of building and scavenging definitely look interesting.

But how does one go and scavenge weapons ? :P

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sam3231

@R4gn4r0k: Well, they are most commonly found in buildings. You search the building and just pick up the best weapons you can find, they are color coded to indicate their rarity (white, green, blue, purple, orange, gold), rarer weapons are generally better but you will need to choose the right weapon depending on the situation. i.e. shotguns are not very good at a distance.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I've been considering trying Fortnite over it's Battle Royale mode since it got attention after saying it stole from PUBG, but given PUBG is still in an Game Preview on XB1 I'd rather wait until PUBG gets more polish. But none of my friends are playing Fornite, and everyone on my XBL friends list is playing PUBG, for now I'll probably not bother with either and use the time to save money and work on my backlist.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@Sam3231 said:

@R4gn4r0k: Well, they are most commonly found in buildings. You search the building and just pick up the best weapons you can find, they are color coded to indicate their rarity (white, green, blue, purple, orange, gold), rarer weapons are generally better but you will need to choose the right weapon depending on the situation. i.e. shotguns are not very good at a distance.

But then doesn't being succesful in the game come down to change and RNG ?

I drop down on the map, first building I enter has a gold gun in it.

You drop down on the map, first building you enter has nothing. We meet.

Who has a better change at making it out of our encounter ?

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sam3231

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Sam3231 said:

But then doesn't being succesful in the game come down to change and RNG ?

I drop down on the map, first building I enter has a gold gun in it.

You drop down on the map, first building you enter has nothing. We meet.

Who has a better change at making it out of our encounter ?

True, there are a lot of factors not really in your control.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NoodleFighter

Breaking news Paragon is dead!

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

Did that game ever technically leave beta/early access?

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NoodleFighter

@drlostrib: Nope it is still in open beta phase

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@NoodleFighter said:

Well that's a shame, but honestly I wished Epic would focus on something classic again, instead of just making free to play games.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NoodleFighter

@R4gn4r0k said:
@NoodleFighter said:

Well that's a shame, but honestly I wished Epic would focus on something classic again, instead of just making free to play games.

It seems like Epic mostly just coasting off the money they make from UE4 licenses these days and the recent success of Fortnite. I wonder what predicament they'd be in when it comes to making their own games if Fortnite didn't take off.

JAANET123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JAANET123
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

its amazing games.......thx

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k

@NoodleFighter said:

It seems like Epic mostly just coasting off the money they make from UE4 licenses these days and the recent success of Fortnite. I wonder what predicament they'd be in when it comes to making their own games if Fortnite didn't take off.

Well for the longest time it seemed like Fortnite wouldn't be taking off...

Then PUBG came around, and they jumped on the same train.

Honestly I just wish that Epic would make some singleplayer games again. Are they not proud of Gears of War ? Or do they really believe that paying for games is done and free to play is the only future ?

Because if it's the latter, I'm gonna say byebye Epic !

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NoodleFighter

@R4gn4r0k said:
@NoodleFighter said:

Well for the longest time it seemed like Fortnite wouldn't be taking off...

Then PUBG came around, and they jumped on the same train.

Honestly I just wish that Epic would make some singleplayer games again. Are they not proud of Gears of War ? Or do they really believe that paying for games is done and free to play is the only future ?

Because if it's the latter, I'm gonna say byebye Epic !

I think Gears Of War scared them into not taking risk with single player games. They probably felt that if they were to make a single player focused game they'd have to spend a big budget. The first Gears Of War costed $12 million to make and Gears Of War 3 costed 4 to 5 times that so somewhere between $48 million and $60 million and they believed if they were to make a 4th Gears Of War it would cost over $100 million to make. Epic stated that while the budgets were increasing the amount of people buying their games was around the same amount so each title was getting less and less profitable. It didn't help that Gears Of War: Judgement wasn't very well recieved both reception and sales wise. Gears 3 sold 2 million its first month while Gears Judgement only 425,000. I think its a bit of an overreaction the games likely could have sold much more if they were multiplatform titles instead of being locked to just one platform. Witchfire is being made by people that use to work at People Can Fly a studio that they own and its looking to be pretty good despite the only game they've made so far only selling 1 million copies. God Of War Ascension which came out around the same time as Gears Judgement and is a staple franchise for the Playstation did pretty poorly as well but Sony's still trying which most likely why they changed things up with God Of War 4.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R4gn4r0k

@NoodleFighter said:

I think Gears Of War scared them into not taking risk with single player games. They probably felt that if they were to make a single player focused game they'd have to spend a big budget. The first Gears Of War costed $12 million to make and Gears Of War 3 costed 4 to 5 times that so somewhere between $48 million and $60 million and they believed if they were to make a 4th Gears Of War it would cost over $100 million to make. Epic stated that while the budgets were increasing the amount of people buying their games was around the same amount so each title was getting less and less profitable. It didn't help that Gears Of War: Judgement wasn't very well recieved both reception and sales wise. Gears 3 sold 2 million its first month while Gears Judgement only 425,000. I think its a bit of an overreaction the games likely could have sold much more if they were multiplatform titles instead of being locked to just one platform. Witchfire is being made by people that use to work at People Can Fly a studio that they own and its looking to be pretty good despite the only game they've made so far only selling 1 million copies. God Of War Ascension which came out around the same time as Gears Judgement and is a staple franchise for the Playstation did pretty poorly as well but Sony's still trying which most likely why they changed things up with God Of War 4.

Yeah Epic had a few singleplayer games flop for them: Gears Judgment and Bulletstorm (though technically that was People Can Fly and EA)

It's also a shame to read Gears' budgets rising so exponentially when:

a) The gears games play pretty much the same

b) Gears 1 is the best in the series

c) They'd release them too soon after another, with barely any real differences, causing franchise fatigue among players.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I must have been braindead tired when I read this thread for the first time a few days ago, I remember thinking of the game Paladins & I thought that is the game that was shutting down, but it's not even the same dev lol. Never played Paragon.

I think Fortnite is great and I bought it on release. I love the PVE tower defense mode, however I did try out BR the other day, only 2 matches, and my initial impressions are that it is far less compelling to play than PUBG. Little details I like in PUBG are not there, for instance you cannot see all the players sitting in the bus as they jump, they just suddenly appear outside the bus.

The map I played was not as varied as the maps I found in PUBG, just the geography of the landscape, and you don't have all kinds of structures you can just run to frantically, no vehicles. The building aspect seems out of place because I was used to it in the tower defense mode, but in the BR mode it just felt out of place for me. Anyways, just my quick impressions, I just played 2 matches and based on that I feel the BR mode needs to do more to make its mark and distinguish itself from PUBG.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#31 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

The market decides as it should.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

That’s the only MOBA I liked! WTF?!?!?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Same, it's making me extremely angry.

It's the only MOBA I play and enjoy. Those douchebags at Epic only chase trends.

If they stumble unto a hit that will make them more money than Fortnite they will drop that too.

It's a damn shame Pargon is getting closed, I'll miss playing it and I'll miss its gorgeous graphics and cool characters.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NoodleFighter

@quadknight said:
@goldenelementxl said:

It's the only MOBA I play and enjoy. Those douchebags at Epic only chase trends.

If they stumble unto a hit that will make them more money than Fortnite they will drop that too.

It's a damn shame Pargon is getting closed, I'll miss playing it and I'll miss its gorgeous graphics and cool characters.

We don't really have that many options in third person action mobas either. Gigantic, Smite and Orcs Must Die! Unchained are our main options with a couple of severely lower quality ones like Panzar

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:
@quadknight said:
@goldenelementxl said:

We don't really have that many options in third person action mobas either. Gigantic, Smite and Orcs Must Die! Unchained are our main options with a couple of severely lower quality ones like Panzar

Yea it really sucks. I might move on to Smite but it will never replace Paragon for me, I really loved this game.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@quadknight: it was my favorite moba too :(

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I tried out Paragon but it just wasn't for me.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I want to say that this is a huge shame, but I really don't see the appeal to any of this games...

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Never heard of it.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

The most uninspired MOBA closing down?

Good riddance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#41  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Installed Fortine BR PS4 > Played for one hour until got bored to tears > uninstalled it

Till this day I still dont get what people see in these games...

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#42 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

One less game for PS4's already short library. RIP Consoles.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1474 Posts

>make moba, the one genre that poor third worlders exclusively play

>make the game have insanely good graphics so the majority of them can't run it on their toaster machines

hmm, wonder why it failed

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NoodleFighter

@moistcarrot: I think it had more to do with Paragon not grounding its identity and constantly bouncing around from concept to concept. The game's only had one map in all of its run.