AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3223 Posts

So first we have Toys for Bob leaving Activision, and now it looks like Saber Interactive is leaving Embracer Group as well.

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-dev-saber-interactive-escapes-embracer-in-500-million-deal

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9547 Posts

It's happening... companies are downsizing and preparing for smaller releases. The dawn of a new AA dynasty will rise from the ashes. Unfortunately there will be growing pains (in the industry as a whole... I guess you could call it shrinking pains) before we see a more unified and more sustainable gaming future. One small step at a time. I feel terrible for all the devs and families hurt by foolish business practices, but I hope they all land on their feet and I wish them all the success they can handle in the future. We need more releases at lower prices both in development and in the market.

It's happening, but it's going to be a painful process. This crash (so to speak) might not look like the first one or be quite as big, but the numbers don't lie, we are in another crash. Hopefully they will rise from the ashes stronger, more united, and understanding mechanics, fun, and timely releases are more important than pushing out several AAA games with shiny graphics newer consoles can barely even run at stable framerates and expecting unrealistic profit margins. It's scary, but also a good thing. This is long past due and the bubble is about to pop.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46295 Posts

Aspyr was making the KOTOR remake I believe.

Saber made World War Z, Timeshift and my darling: Will Rock. They also have done numerous ports over the years.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#4 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

@WitIsWisdom: Part of the problem is that publishers want every game they release to be the next GTA or fortnite. And those just aren't reasonable expectations, and it shouldnt be what the industry strives for as a standard.

Make a good game, and they will play. Respect the players and they will stay.

I feel like Helldivers 2 is a perfect example of this. (Still waiting to see if the stay part is true for that game)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

Question is, who is buying them? Or is the studio financing their own departure?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46295 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Question is, who is buying them? Or is the studio financing their own departure?

According to wikipedia:

"In February 2024, it was reported that Embracer Group was selling Saber Interactive to a group of private investors for US$500 million."

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WitIsWisdom

@Star67: Bingo

timemasheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 timemasheen
Member since 2015 • 486 Posts

They should also sell the Deus Ex IP to someone who really cares about it.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@Star67: Bingo on all points and I agree. However, Helldivers 2 has already been successful enough that it's probably already made the profits they were hoping to make over its lifetime. Sure they will want to capitalize, but now we get to see how they handle that success.

I guess it just goes to show that it's about fun, gameplay, price, and timing and proves there is plenty of growing room in gaming if done correctly.

Games like that are the future of the industry. Where as the game didn't have a tiny budget, they could have made 2 to 4 games like that for the price of one AAA game, and that's where devs can take more chances since they don't have to put all of their eggs in one basket.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6041 Posts

Can't recall if I've ever played a game from Saber (I'm sure I have, I mean I would somewhere along the line) so I don't know too much about them.

Are they worth a half a billion dollars?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@timemasheen said:

IO would be perfect for the job.

timemasheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 timemasheen
Member since 2015 • 486 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@timemasheen said:

IO would be perfect for the job.

I agree. They seem like the best fit right now.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

Well, being sold is better than being shuttered I suppose.

@R4gn4r0k said:

Saber made World War Z, Timeshift and my darling: Will Rock. They also have done numerous ports over the years.

Correct.

They also make the "Mudrunner" series of off-roading games that are quite fun. They actually have a new one coming out soon that I am excited for.

Yes, I know, I am crazy for preferring to go 1-2 mph over rocks and mud instead of 200 mph over asphalt.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

KOTOR Remake is still in development, this was confirmed by Aspyr themselves.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3056 Posts

I can't speak for all their work, but the fact they had a hand in the Halo CE anniversary edition and MCC makes me highly dubious of their worth.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

Half a billion? Embracer group scammed them, but I guess that's the market. Should have waited for embracer to tank even further and get more desperate for a buyer.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1239 Posts

@WitIsWisdom: I've been thinking the same for the past few days. This may be the

crash this industry needs. I hope the outcome you're predicting is what we do infact get.... but its hard not be cynical.

Sucks for the individuals affected by the layoffs.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8854 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

When the Aspyr preview game was rejected, it was passed to Embracer passed it to Saber.