Edge's latest batch of reviews! Fuel is better than inFAMOUS? Lolwut? *56k yay*

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

im thinking i might pick up sim 3...maybe.

Pdiddy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Pdiddy105
Member since 2007 • 4577 Posts

What did they say about Knights in the Nightmare?

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#53 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
Isn't Fuel the biggest game ever created?
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Isn't Fuel the biggest game ever created?CleanPlayer

Biggest "console" game ever created. Brought to you by the team behind Wall-E!

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts

I buy Edge regularly. The writing and production values are top notch and I agree with most of their reviews. Theyre easily one of the best written magazines out there, despite what SW says. Other magazines just seem so childish in comparison.

The review numbers arent even really indicated in the magazine. I think we all set too much in the scores here, when it is the content of the reviews we should look at. Different standards for different genres, after all.

Saying that, it looks like they completely missed the point with their Excite Bots review, just like they did with Prince of Persia. Ill find out when I pick the magazine up next week.

eveileb-ekam

THANK YOU.

Someone else who recognizes how EDGE handles reviews differently from other sources. The actual wording of their reviews is what is extremely high quality. Their scoring is unorthodox and inconsistant because they score based on the reviewers impression of the game, and what they feel is a good score.

Not to mention, the primary audience for EDGE isn't gamers, but industry insiders/developersand other gaming journalists.

Also, I love how people bash EDGE when NONE of them have ever read it. I dare some of you people bashing EDGE to read it, or at the very least listen to podcasts of people who are at competing publications. The guys over at EGM/1UP regularly referenced EDGE as a benchmark that they measured their work against. And if you listen to podcasts from just about any other website, you will find multiple comments about just how fantastic EDGE truly is. The writing and production values of EDGE, along with the business model it runs on are fantastic.

EDGE is a very successful magazine. And EDGE also costs $100 a year for a subscription. It is worth every penny. That is how good a magazine it is.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 BioShockOwnz

I actually buy Edge monthly at Barnes & Nobles. The magazine is of great quality and has excellent pieces, but the reviews are still off, even though they review differently. They often give inferior games superior scores, as is the case with Fuel and inFAMOUS. The latter being superior.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 horrowhip

I actually buy Edge monthly at Barnes & Nobles. The magazine is of great quality and has excellent pieces, but the reviews are still off, even though they review differently. They often give inferior games superior scores, as is the case with Fuel and inFAMOUS. The latter being superior.

BioShockOwnz

Their review system is so completely based off of immediate gut reactions from their reviewers. There isn't any method to the madness of their scoring system. Also, why is the internet so concerned with scores? Why not READ THE REVIEWS?

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

horrowhip

Their review system is so completely based off of immediate gut reactions from their reviewers. There isn't any method to the madness of their scoring system. Also, why is the internet so concerned with scores? Why not READ THE REVIEWS?

I'm not concerned with them. Everyone here knows I buy whatever I want. Reviews play no role whatsoever, but many do.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 horrowhip

I'm not concerned with them. Everyone here knows I buy whatever I want. Reviews play no role whatsoever, but many do.

BioShockOwnz

my statement was not so much direct at you, but everyone in general. Why are scores given so much importance? Specifically now that System Wars allows scores from any website into the discussion. Now, Scores are meaningless here, just as much as they were meaningless in the real world... If you want to judge a publication, do so by their writing, not by the arbitrary scores that they assign to games....

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts

Demons Blade didnt fare that well.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 BioShockOwnz

Demons Blade didnt fare that well.

EVOLV3

Just a bit under inFAMOUS. Pretty good.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

Muramasa got only a 6, meh, I was looking forward to it.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts

[QUOTE="InsaneBasura"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

:P

I think Fuel looks decent enough. Maybe a 6.5-7.0, but 8.0? Seems a bit too high by what others are saying.

BioShockOwnz

Oh noes, someone thinks it's slightly better than what I think he should think it is based on what others have thought. How could it be? You should know better Mr. Damnation 7/10.

I admit its numerous faults, though, and I recommend a rent or a under $30 price. Edge talks Fuel up like it's almost a godsend. And I would never say Damnation is better than inFAMOUS. That's just bat crap nutty. No need to get offended, guy. Put things more in context when you try to fling mud at me next time.

Point being if you can think a game generally considered to be rubbish is good then why can't Edge think a decent game is great? Why must Edge fall in line with the hive mind when you're not? If their opinion is somehow faulty solely for being outside of the norm, then yours is as well.

Have you read the review? What gives you the impression they're making it seem like a godsend and not admitting its eventual flaws? Where does it say "this is better than Infamous"? Why on earth would you compare those two games? Now that's what I find bat crap nutty.

-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 -DrRobotnik-
Member since 2008 • 5463 Posts
gaming journalism in general is a joke. Edge seems to be one of the few publications out there who actually take their jobs seriously.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 BioShockOwnz

Point being if you can think a game generally considered to be rubbish is good then why can't Edge think a decent game is great? Why must Edge fall in line with the hive mind when you're not? If their opinion is somehow faulty solely for being outside of the norm, then yours is as well.

Have you read the review? What gives you the impression they're making it seem like a godsend and not admitting its eventual flaws? Where does it say "this is better than Infamous"? Why on earth would you compare those two games? Now that's what I find bat crap nutty.

InsaneBasura

That's not the point at all. Even though I do enjoy inferior games. I still see that they're inferior, thus I wouldn't rate an inferior game (Damnation or Fuel) higher than a superior game (inFAMOUS). Reviews should be based on the overall quality of the game, not just the enjoyability you personally got out of it, because we know that the enjoyability is all subjective, yet the quality and the technical aspects, are all facts.

Shy_Guy_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#66 Shy_Guy_Red
Member since 2006 • 17138 Posts

Normally I like Edge's reviews and while I do mostly this month, WHY'D THEY GIVE EXCITEBOTS A 4!?

I've played that game a ton and it's much better then a 4. I'll look at the review when I see the issue.

MerisYaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 MerisYaki
Member since 2008 • 967 Posts

Muramasa got only a 6, meh, I am still looking forward to it.

themyth01

fix'd

lineargames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 lineargames
Member since 2009 • 251 Posts

You know where fuel scored better? because it's being rated in a different genre.

fuel is being rated against games like motorstorm.

infamous is a third person game, a psi ops rip off so it's being put against games in third person genre.

RedFactionFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 RedFactionFan
Member since 2009 • 158 Posts

InFFFamous

lineargames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 lineargames

yea lol now that i think about it infamous is a psi ops rip off.

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts

im really getting sick and tired of hearing the about edge's reviews.... they gave killzone 2 a 7 ...and valkyria chronicles a 7...folklore a 5 and resistance 2 a 6...

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts

lineargames
:| how could you even compare them?
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#73 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I'm so psyched for Ghostbusters.

lineargames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 lineargames

[QUOTE="lineargames"]

ReaperV7

umm it's not obvious infamous took influence?

lol even the covers look similar.

baladan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 baladan
Member since 2009 • 68 Posts

I would like to read what EDGE has to say about Punch-Out!!. Scores are over-rated in System Wars.

Also, where can I subscribe to EDGE online?

ChopperDave1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ChopperDave1
Member since 2006 • 377 Posts
gaming journalism in general is a joke. Edge seems to be one of the few publications out there who actually take their jobs seriously.-DrRobotnik-
yeah, they actually use a 0-10 scale instead of a 7-10 scale
Avatar image for sonicthemegaman
sonicthemegaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#78 sonicthemegaman
Member since 2008 • 3783 Posts
What happened to Muramasa? I have high hopes for this game. I hope the review is a fluke.mattbbpl
The game isn't out till september.*wink,wink*
Avatar image for sonicthemegaman
sonicthemegaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#79 sonicthemegaman
Member since 2008 • 3783 Posts
[QUOTE="MerisYaki"]

[QUOTE="themyth01"]

Muramasa got only a 6, meh, I am still looking forward to it.

fix'd

How?
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 InsaneBasura

[QUOTE="InsaneBasura"]Point being if you can think a game generally considered to be rubbish is good then why can't Edge think a decent game is great? Why must Edge fall in line with the hive mind when you're not? If their opinion is somehow faulty solely for being outside of the norm, then yours is as well.

BioShockOwnz

That's not the point at all. Even though I do enjoy inferior games. I still see that they're inferior, thus I wouldn't rate an inferior game (Damnation or Fuel) higher than a superior game (inFAMOUS). Reviews should be based on the overall quality of the game, not just the enjoyability you personally got out of it, because we know that the enjoyability is all subjective, yet the quality and the technical aspects, are all facts.

For goodness sake, you don't even know if the same person reviewed these two games. And even if that's the case, so what. Shouldn't people be allowed to have opinions? Everyone has to somehow agree upon that an open world superhero game where you climb buildings, shoot lighting while riding powerlines and make moral choices is factually better than an open world offroad racers with tornadoes where you race bikes and dragsters in a seamless online environment where you can lay out your own tracks? Maybe the guy finds the latter more to his taste?

What you're asking for is objective reviews, and there is no such thing. However, if you were to actually read the reviews as opposed to simply looking at the score, maybe you'd get some insight as to where the writer is coming from. In the whole the damned score is unimportant.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 InsaneBasura
[QUOTE="lineargames"]

ReaperV7

Really, the only thing they have in common is certain aesthetics and perhaps other superficial similarities. Mainly the main characters have a bunch in common. They look similar, they both suddenly wake up with superpowers and have no idea what's going on. But really, that sounds like so many god damn things that have been in done in the past elsewhere. At this point it's a bit like calling Infamous a GTA clone. Both games are obviously inspired by comic books.
Packagez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Packagez
Member since 2009 • 83 Posts
Edge is probably bankrolled by M$. Infamous is GOTY
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#83 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

Edge is always all over the place, no surprise. Still, 6 for Murumasa is a bit low, but lets see how it fares further down the track.

RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 RoOodriGowW
Member since 2008 • 3309 Posts

These guys are truly out of their minds :roll:

The_Brodeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 The_Brodeo
Member since 2009 • 804 Posts

Wow they are way off base on the EXCITEBOTS score that game is so much fun.

SerpentX541

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#86 SerpentX541
Member since 2009 • 654 Posts
why am i not surprised?.....oh thats right this is Edge.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
Doesn't Edge review their games based on how original they are?
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
Edge is always so off it seems. Atleast it's nice to see the great reviews for Ghostbusters keep coming in. One 7 (from Edge. Same score as inFAMOUS), Two 8's and one 9 so far. :)BioShockOwnz
it's just a reviewers opinion,probably on who gets his rocks off playing racing games all day, don't sweat it, we know infamous is AAE- AAAE material.
samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#89 samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts
EDGE love racing games almost as much as Halo :P But yeah, people quit whining. The trouble again here is that the scores have been posted rather than the review itself. The actual EDGE review is far more important than the score, because-as you can see-they often have fairly 'unique' viewpoints. If it makes you feel any better the writing justified the scores as ever.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#90 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Excitebots a 4? Muramusa a 6? Wat?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#91 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

FUEL is coming out? Since when! :o

Man... I need to keep up with release dates.

Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Kandlegoat
Member since 2009 • 3147 Posts

Edge...I dunno, sometimes I just get the feeling they give lower scores just for the sake of giving lower scores.

Lionheart08

you just described Gamespot reviews as well ;)

Ego-testicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Ego-testicle
Member since 2009 • 212 Posts
I am pretty excited for FUEL after reading about the open-world scope of it, but EDGE seriously has the worst reviews in the industry. Those guys are a butt of jokes to me and my friends. For example I'll tell my roommate some crazy megaton rumor, and he'll be like HOLY **** where did you hear that? And I'll go "I read it in EDGE" and then he bursts out laughing. 4/10 for ExciteBots when it's used as a selling feature of the Wii this year is pretty puzzling... oh wait, no, it's not puzzling, it's EDGE and their horrible excuse for games journalism. Another great thread BioShockOwnz, cheers for the screens and putting in the effort.
Ego-testicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Ego-testicle
Member since 2009 • 212 Posts

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

Edge...I dunno, sometimes I just get the feeling they give lower scores just for the sake of giving lower scores.

Kandlegoat

you just described Gamespot reviews as well ;)

Examples? It's possible you mean games like Fable 2, Mass Effect, Zelda TP, and Empire: Total War which barely missed their expected 9 scores, but in general Gamespot rarely goes that far below the norm. Some sites and mags seem to score games poorly just for the increased traffic. Gamespot has had some misses, but often over the past couple of years they are a little above the norm as well. Recent examples are Dead Space, Assassin's Creed, Resistance 2, and inFamous.