EA's Origin, Why do so many people hate it?

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AkimboBFGNinja
Member since 2011 • 205 Posts

I would like to know why there is all this backlash against EA's origin, I just simply want to know, I understand that Ea taking their games off of Steam was a crappy move but what about the service is actually bad. Anyone tha has used it or if anybody knows any details about the negative aspects of Origin please discuss, as I would like to know. I saw something posted on Escapist that Origin will only give you access to your games for one year. I am not sure if its true or if someone is just trying to add more flames. Please discuss.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

I would like to know why there is all this backlash against EA's origin, I just simply want to know, I understand that Ea taking their games off of Steam was a crappy move but what about the service is actually bad. Anyone tha has used it or if anybody knows any details about the negative aspects of Origin please discuss, as I would like to know. I saw something posted on Escapist that Origin will only give you access to your games for one year. I am not sure if its true or if someone is just trying to add more flames. Please discuss.

AkimboBFGNinja

The problem is that it's yet another stand alone applicaiton that we have to run in the background, except it comes with NONE of the perks of Steam. It's like Steam 1.0, when it first came out. It sucked, and so does Origin.

If origin wanted to compete with Steam, it needed to come right out fo the gate with a ton of features - at the very least the same one found in Steam.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

First post nailed it. Origin sucks right now because it's a barebones service compared to feature-filled fan-favorite clients like Steam.

Slashkice
wow, didn't steam suck when it first came out? give it time
peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

[QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]

Kinthalis

The problem is that it's yet another stand alone applicaiton that we have to run in the background, except it comes with NONE of the perks of Steam. It's like Steam 1.0, when it first came out. It sucked, and so does Origin.

If origin wanted to compete with Steam, it needed to come right out fo the gate with a ton of features - at the very least the same one found in Steam.

It also sets a precedent for more company-exclusive Digital Distribution platforms.

If other companies follow this trend, Activision, Ubisoft, THQ, Square Enix, Konami, Sega, Capcom, etc. might have their own SEPARATE clients you have to install.

It's just too much fragmentation in a market that yearns to be unified.

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AkimboBFGNinja

[QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]

Kinthalis

What are the perks of Steam besides the sales and Online gaming platform. I understand it can get comlicated with so many online distributors but What about people with D2D or Impulse? Aren't those are yet another service people have to log into?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

wow, didn't steam suck when it first came out? give it timeChris_Williams

Luckily it has EA backing it. If a smaller company came out with Origin, Valve would simply steamroll it (no pun intended).

Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts
[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

First post nailed it. Origin sucks right now because it's a barebones service compared to feature-filled fan-favorite clients like Steam.

Chris_Williams

Thats not how it works..generally you want to "one-up" your competition.
AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AkimboBFGNinja

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]

peterw007

It also sets a precedent for more company-exclusive Digital Distribution platforms.

If other companies follow this trend, Activision, Ubisoft, THQ, Square Enix, Konami, Sega, Capcom, etc. might have their own SEPARATE clients you have to install.

It's just too much fragmentation in a market that yearns to be unified.

I can understand that, But to be honest I really see this as a move by EA to get its foot into the door of the digital market. When steam first came out it really only distributed its own games and added more games later on. I think EA wants a store like Steam considering Valve makes so much money from steam.

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]wow, didn't steam suck when it first came out? give it timeSlashkice

It's 2011. EA is a much, much larger company than Valve - they have no excuse for not launching with more features in this day and age.

They're not programing gods.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lundy86_4

What are the perks of Steam besides the sales and Online gaming platform. I understand it can get comlicated with so many online distributors but What about people with D2D or Impulse? Aren't those are yet another service people have to log into?

AkimboBFGNinja

Steam offers a plethora of community services. D2D and Impulse are simply online stores (though I think Impulse offers a platform of some kind) and the games are launchable like a retail game (except the install files are digital).

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lundy86_4

They're not programing gods.alexside1

You need to be a programming god to offer more features. I have yet to try it, but I understand it is lacking.

They should have outsourced to a competent company :P

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
I don't like any of these 'services' that require you to sign in just to play a single player game you already own and require you to purchase DLC through them.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]

AkimboBFGNinja

why would anyone have to log into d2d? is there a game that requires it?

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AkimboBFGNinja
To be honest I think people are overreacting, I mean no one cares that Valve games aren't on D2D or impulse? So why is it bad that you can only get Ea games from their service?
AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AkimboBFGNinja

[QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Cranler

Ive only ever used steam, I was under the impression that you had to log into other Digital distribution services as well.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#19 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

It was not that bad at all when I used it for BF3 alpha.

I dont agree with some thigns EA is doign atm but Origin was surprisingly good with its interface.

Still prefer STeam and Impulse but Origin I dont mind personally.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lundy86_4

To be honest I think people are overreacting, I mean no one cares that Valve games aren't on D2D or impulse? So why is it bad that you can only get Ea games from their service?AkimboBFGNinja

Valve aren't a giant publisher like EA. Losing EA is a pretty big deal.

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 alexside1

[QUOTE="alexside1"]They're not programing gods.lundy86_4

You need to be a programming god to offer more features. I have yet to try it, but I understand it is lacking.

They should have outsourced to a competent company :P

I not denying the fact that ea is a bigger company than value, but that doesn't mean they have god like abilities when it comes to programming. Developing software takes time, lots of time. The majority of that time involves debugging. I don't think that anyone enjoy bugged features. (Unless, your a complete geek).
kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kingfire11
Member since 2005 • 1498 Posts
1. It's inferior to Steam and doesn't have as many features. Plus, it's a little bit buggy but personally I had no problems running it. 2. People got used to Steam and they hate to install another client, an inferior client in this case. 3. As far as I know, there are no weekend deals on Origin. Moreover, Origin focuses on leading countries (US, France, etc) where Steam is worldwide regarding services. 4. White and orange is bad for your eyes :P.
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 alexside1

[QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]To be honest I think people are overreacting, I mean no one cares that Valve games aren't on D2D or impulse? So why is it bad that you can only get Ea games from their service?Slashkice

As explained before, Steam is a good service - Origin is not. This is the key difference.

And the key difference that you over look is that it's nothing more than your opinion.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="Cranler"]

[QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]

AkimboBFGNinja

Ive only ever used steam, I was under the impression that you had to log into other Digital distribution services as well.

you dont understand my point. people use d2d because they have a great deal not becausethey are forced to use it to play one game

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
1). It's inferior to steam in every way 2). I already have a steam account with friends, groups and games. 3). I don't want to have to have several clients open just to play EA games after any other companies games 4). It's more expensive than steam I have it for BF3. That's it, my one and only purchase there.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lundy86_4

I not denying the fact that ea is a bigger company than value, but that doesn't mean they have god like abilities when it comes to programming. Developing software takes time, lots of time. The majority of that time involves debugging. I don't think that anyone enjoy bugged features. (Unless, your a complete geek).alexside1

I'm sure it did take them a lot of time to plan and create Origin as a platform. However, i'm sure they are competent enough to launch a platform that is a lottle more feature-rich. If not, then at least hire in a company that is well versed in that area.

It's not like it won't get better, as EA can fund it until it becomes a serious competitor in the DD market.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

It's anti-consumer, anti-convenience.

People want to have all their games in one place.

They don't want to have 20 different services, going "I can't remember which service I had this game on."

We all know why EA started Origin, they wanted a bigger slice of profits.

Greed > consumer

EA has always been an anti-gamer company. Support them if you like, I never will.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I don't like any of these 'services' that require you to sign in just to play a single player game you already own and require you to purchase DLC through them.KC_Hokie
That's what worries me about PC gaming. One day all new games on PC could be like that, SP and MP alike. If consoles and even handhelds end up doing that too I'll quit gaming.

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AkimboBFGNinja
Origin has already been around for a bit It was called Ea Online Store but they just renamed and updated it. Lets say in a year or two Origin gets bigger and is like steam? Would it matter then or is it simply just a matter of prefference and the whole "EA is the Devil " factor going on.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lundy86_4

Origin has already been around for a bit It was called Ea Online Store but they just renamed and updated it. Lets say in a year or two Origin gets bigger and is like steam? Would it matter then or is it simply just a matter of prefference and the whole "EA is the Devil " factor going on.AkimboBFGNinja

It'll no doubt matter in the near future. EA will pump it full of money, as it'll make them a boatload in return (they are their own distribution, thus will net all profit). Unfortunately, it segregates the market, and EA is a big publiser... Origin is gonna house a lot of games. I hope that EA and Valve get this whole debacle ironed out, so that the games will still be offered through Steam.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

Chris_Williams

I'll give it as much time as I gave FF14.

There is no excuse to have a dramatically inferior service to your competitors when they've been out for much longer.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

[QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]Origin has already been around for a bit It was called Ea Online Store but they just renamed and updated it. Lets say in a year or two Origin gets bigger and is like steam? Would it matter then or is it simply just a matter of prefference and the whole "EA is the Devil " factor going on.lundy86_4

It'll no doubt matter in the near future. EA will pump it full of money, as it'll make them a boatload in return (they are their own distribution, thus will net all profit). Unfortunately, it segregates the market, and EA is a big publiser... Origin is gonna house a lot of games. I hope that EA and Valve get this whole debacle ironed out, so that the games will still be offered through Steam.

Honestly, what's the point of having Origin then if you can just get the games through Steam?

If EA does that, nobody will use their DD platform.

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AkimboBFGNinja

[QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]Origin has already been around for a bit It was called Ea Online Store but they just renamed and updated it. Lets say in a year or two Origin gets bigger and is like steam? Would it matter then or is it simply just a matter of prefference and the whole "EA is the Devil " factor going on.lundy86_4

Also if I am not mistaken EA games will still be offered on Gamers gate and D2D, if this is true why not have it on steam? Not sure what is going down but I recently came across an articel on another site.

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AkimboBFGNinja
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/valve-finally-addresses-electronic-arts-problems-with-steam/3599/ This is the article giving some vague details on whats going on.
Click_Clock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Click_Clock
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

I don't care for Origin or Steam, a matter of fact, when I run my PC games, I wish I didn't have to sign in a stupid cilent to boot my games. Going back to the arguements made in this thread, there are no good reasons why Steam is better than Origin and all I see is blind bias towards Valve's cilent.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

Slashkice
What features? Steam isn't all that good. Do you see any Blizzard games on Steam? Do you see anyone badmouthing Battle.net?
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

xsubtownerx

What features? Steam isn't all that good. Do you see any Blizzard games on Steam? Do you see anyone badmouthing Battle.net?

Actually I launch starcraft2 through steam. Steam is basically a free xbox live but better.

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AkimboBFGNinja

[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"][QUOTE="Slashkice"]

topgunmv

Actually I launch starcraft2 through steam. Steam is basically a free xbox live but better.

That really isnt the issue, the issue is only being able to purchase EA games on Origin, other select Digital ditribution. Noone complains about blizzards games only being available on their store so why all the rage for EA Origin. I think its partly Bias and partly fear of EA.

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 alexside1

[QUOTE="alexside1"]I not denying the fact that ea is a bigger company than value, but that doesn't mean they have god like abilities when it comes to programming. Developing software takes time, lots of time. The majority of that time involves debugging. I don't think that anyone enjoy bugged features. (Unless, your a complete geek).lundy86_4

I'm sure it did take them a lot of time to plan and create Origin as a platform. However, i'm sure they are competent enough to launch a platform that is a lottle more feature-rich. If not, then at least hire in a company that is well versed in that area.

It's not like it won't get better, as EA can fund it until it becomes a serious competitor in the DD market.

As I said before, it takes time. Rome wasn't build in a day you know.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"] What features? Steam isn't all that good. Do you see any Blizzard games on Steam? Do you see anyone badmouthing Battle.net?AkimboBFGNinja

That really isnt the issue, the issue is only being able to purchase EA games on Origin, other select Digital ditribution. Noone complains about blizzards games only being available on their store so why all the rage for EA Origin. I think its partly Bias and partly fear of EA.

Well for one thing EA has a terrible history with servers, both in maintaining them and the duration that they keep them up.

I couldn't play battlefield 1943 literally half the time because the servers were always borked. I wouldn't trust a company with a bad history like that.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]

AkimboBFGNinja

You don't have to log into anything with D2D, you just download the game and install. Steam has features like party chat, a community/clan page, good quality voice chat(way better than Xbox Live actually), automatic updates, Free2play games, betas, etc.
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"][QUOTE="Slashkice"]

topgunmv

you should still be able to launch any Origin game from steam, all steam does it put a shortcut in steam

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
I bought BF2142 from Origin. It took a couple of hours for it to process the payment. Just before I gave up for the night, it finally processed it and I started my download. On Steam, I would have already had it paid for and downloaded and been playing with my friend instead of wasting a night with another PC gaming runaround.
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gamer-adam1

[QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

DragonfireXZ95

You don't have to log into anything with D2D, you just download the game and install. Steam has features like party chat, a community/clan page, good quality voice chat(way better than Xbox Live actually), automatic updates, Free2play games, betas, etc.

can't you get almost all of that everywhere else? only thing missing is party chat, and community/clan page, cause most clans just have a website anyways

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gamer-adam1

[QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

topgunmv

Well for one thing EA has a terrible history with servers, both in maintaining them and the duration that they keep them up.

I couldn't play battlefield 1943 literally half the time because the servers were always borked. I wouldn't trust a company with a bad history like that.

never had a problem, but that could be 90% of the time I was playing on a moongamer server, played on there server all the way to BC2 good servers

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]

gamer-adam1

can't you get almost all of that everywhere else? only thing missing is party chat, and community/clan page, cause most clans just have a website anyways

You could, but this is all combined into one service. A service that carries all types of games from all types of publishers/devs.

Origin is only EA games. What's the point?

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 xsubtownerx

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"] What features? Steam isn't all that good. Do you see any Blizzard games on Steam? Do you see anyone badmouthing Battle.net?AkimboBFGNinja

Someone understands. The world is not doomed after all.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 xsubtownerx

*list of features found on pretty much everything*

Slashkice

I'm pretty sure Origin will have the same key features as well. Minus of course the "steam cloud" which I never use because backing up files is not a hard thing to do. Still nice to have I suppose, but laughable as a selling point as to why steam would be better..