EA/Bioware game Anthem delay to 2019 and this could be Bioware's final game!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

Taking from the article by Kotaku Anthem news Bioware is on heavy pressure to insuring Anthem doesn't screw up like with destiny 2 did. As much as I love Bioware, I really hate it this could be there last shot making revenue and Anthem is a big budget game that EA hates losing money. I'm still interested in Anthem, but can't say for sure if I'll buy it day one.

(Yes it's a Kotaku article but Jason is a well known good news editor, Jason covered this and he's excellent when it comes to writing about this sort of thing. He's been covering Destiny (accurately) for years now and he's got sources all over the industry, so odds are when he writes it, it's legitimate)

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Jade Empire 2 or GTFO.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Lootbox outcry has rustled some jimmies.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I hope not. I really hope they survive so i can get a sequal to Andromeda.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

If Bioware does fall, it will probably be one of the biggest riches-to-rags stories in the biz. Hard to say at this point whether the closure of Bioware would be a bigger deal than what has happened to Rare, but it'd be worth sparring over.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

Bioware died with mass effect 3

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

Well that’s disappointing to hear that Anthem is being delayed because I’m really looking forward to it however my rational side is ok with this because if they need more time then they need more time plus I’ll have plenty to keep me occupied until then.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

If EA kills Bioware, that could be it for me with any EA game...

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

They need all the time they can get. Andromeda was a disaster and Dragon Age was a bit "meh" and clowned by The Witcher 3.

I blame EA for everything wrong with current Bioware and I still believe there's a lot of talent in the studio. I just feel that under EA's control I don't believe Anthem will be a game to redeem Bioware. EA is just too toxic and a shitty company to work with. They'll find a way to screw up Anthem. Look at Battlefront 2, absolutely no reason for that game to suck but EA found a way when there was none.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1474 Posts

Bioware died during the development of Mass Effect 2 when all of the veteran developers left before they could get butfucked by EA.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

If EA kills Bioware, that could be it for me with any EA game...

only reason I buy EA games is due to DICE.

if EA sinks dice any lower than yeah, I'll jump on that ship.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

unless dragon age 4 is coming out this year. I doubt the failure of anthem will kill bioware.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

Jade Empire 2 or GTFO.

Yeah, we've been getting nothing but futuristic games from Bioware as of late:

• The Old Republic
  • Mass Effect trilogy
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda
  • Anthem

I'd like something a bit more grounded, even if it's fantasy.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Byebye Bioware. They're stalling the game cause it's full of MTX.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I don't want them to go out of business, but they haven't been "the old Bioware" in a long time. I will say that DA:I could have been great if they'd had their heads on straighter - so I have been holding out the hope that the next DA would take into account feedback to tighten it up a ton and make the deep combat system actually part of the game (instead of something that is there but wholly unnecessary)

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#17  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Having just picked the bones of Visceral Games off their teeth, the Studio Eater is hungry for another meal, I see. I bet EA are already thinking about whether BioWare tastes better sauteed with butter or grilled over a spit with wine marinade.

Shit, now I'm hungry. Time for me to eat. Food, I mean, not game studios.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KungfuKitten

If EA or Activision is your boss there's just no point in trying to do well. They'll run you into the ground when they can with anti-consumer demands. They'll believe it's their duty to screw people over as much as they can for the chance at megaprofits. I have 10% hope that Bioware will survive Anthem. If they do I really hope they cut themselves loose from EA. That's their one shot at staying in business. Keep EA as far away as possible from Anthem and then buy yourself out.

2017 has been a wake up call for new developers to stay away from these giants. You're basically giving up on your passion at that point.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

If they can restrain themselves and keep their political agenda to themselves and just concentrate on making a great game, they'll do just fine. The team behind ME: Andromeda put so much effort into the millennial cherry picking feminist movement that they lost sight of the game and their largest market.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

I am apprehensive. EA has a habit of running their development teams into the ground by pressuring them into making games designed around cynical business models and pop mechanics rather than artistic vision.

Anthem could be a lot of fun. The E3 demo showed some potential in the flight exploration, but the demo itself was largely a scripted affair. I hope it turns out good and Bioware can continue to have a presence in the industry. There is a ton of talent in that studio!

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

EA is a cancer in the industry. They ruin everything they touch.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

If they can restrain themselves and keep their political agenda to themselves and just concentrate on making a great game, they'll do just fine. The team behind ME: Andromeda put so much effort into the millennial cherry picking feminist movement that they lost sight of the game and their largest market.

Now I'm being serious.... You nailed it.

Bioware and Bungie, for the longest time were my favorite devs and my oh my how things have changed and not for the better.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34608 Posts

Knowing EA they'll pump the game full of microtransactions, so I really don't give a shit about it. If it turns out a really good game, I'll just be annoyed that I can't play it due to EA destroying it and get on with playing something else.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34608 Posts

@SecretPolice said:
@GarGx1 said:

Bioware and Bungie, for the longest time were my favorite devs and my oh my how things have changed and not for the better.

Wasn't the SJW thing the least of that game's problems?

And yes, lol. Bungie is probably one of my most hated developers right now. Bunch of asshats. I've never been a big Bioware fan. Mass Effect 1 was pretty cool. Mass Effect 2 less so. Mass Effect 3 I didn't even bother with as the reception was shit. Dragon Age was crap. Their old KotOR games bore me to death and I was too little when Baldur's Gate was a thing.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#25 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Bioware died after Mass Effect 2. Name means nothing. Original talent left the studio and NuBioware sucks.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

@Litchie said:
@SecretPolice said:
@GarGx1 said:

And yes, lol. Bungie is probably one of my most hated developers right now. Bunch of asshats.

I suppose that's the case, lots-o-problems and basically Bio phoned it in as a cash grab. Too bad.

I don't hate Bungie but rather just disappointed and think they would have been better off staying with MS and Halos or at least truly struck out on their own instead of being captive to a specific cash grab pub.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

Bet they have to rework the progression system after the "feedback" EA received form Battlefront 2 and the failure of Destiny 2. Or something close to that anyway.

mecha_frieza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mecha_frieza
Member since 2007 • 1305 Posts

@Basinboy said:

If Bioware does fall, it will probably be one of the biggest riches-to-rags stories in the biz. Hard to say at this point whether the closure of Bioware would be a bigger deal than what has happened to Rare, but it'd be worth sparring over.

Bioware died the minute EA acquired them.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

I love Bioware and especially Mass Effect except the last one. I thought I would hate the first Mass Effect when I read about the game but the hype was so big when 2 was coming out I had to try it. I loved it and was hooked.

They would have been better off selling to MS studios, and Bungie would be better off staying put and doing something else as well.

If Bioware is canned and they can keep their core group together they should have no trouble finding a good place to land and know better than to take the big checks from the likes of EA and Activision next time.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

EA execs:

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

If EA or Activision is your boss there's just no point in trying to do well. They'll run you into the ground when they can with anti-consumer demands. They'll believe it's their duty to screw people over as much as they can for the chance at megaprofits. I have 10% hope that Bioware will survive Anthem. If they do I really hope they cut themselves loose from EA. That's their one shot at staying in business. Keep EA as far away as possible from Anthem and then buy yourself out.

2017 has been a wake up call for new developers to stay away from these giants. You're basically giving up on your passion at that point.

It's not up to the employees whether to sell out to a big publisher, it's up the owners.

If you founded one of these studios and built it up from nothing to have some successful games, it's pretty tough to turn down giant 8 or 9 figure cash-out of the equity in your company (even 10 figures in the case of Minecraft guy). I'm sure the ones that stay on as CEO think they can work with these big publishers. Realistically, even if it doesn't work out, they've already made their money at that point. That might be part of the problem too, once they've "cashed out" it probably removes some of the passion about building/leading the company. Then add in having to deal with the nonsense of EA and Activision, and it's no wonder why so many people (even if they had good intentions) end up walking away.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Between Battlefront 2 being dragged for its crappy rmt and the complete failure of Destiny 2, I'm sure EA had to change their development criteria a lot for Anthem. No studio is ever quite the same after being eaten by a megapublisher. They tend to hold a ridiculous amount of creative control over their games.

Anthem is likely being completely gutted in terms of its content delivery as a result of things. It will likely be a far better game as a result. We can only hope. For me, personally, Destiny 2 was such a huge let down, I'd rejoice in any game that properly steals it's lunch money.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#34 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

Bioware have been a husk, it would be more dignified form them if they pulled the respirator.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KungfuKitten

Oh and BTW nobody is talking about this but Bungie is forced to make a Destiny 3 by their little contract with Activision. So Bungie is pretty much gameover too.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@SecretPolice said:
@Litchie said:
@SecretPolice said:
@GarGx1 said:

And yes, lol. Bungie is probably one of my most hated developers right now. Bunch of asshats.

I suppose that's the case, lots-o-problems and basically Bio phoned it in as a cash grab. Too bad.

I don't hate Bungie but rather just disappointed and think they would have been better off staying with MS and Halos or at least truly struck out on their own instead of being captive to a specific cash grab pub.

Bioware literally employed people based on their politics, not their skill set. The team was sown with racists and misandrists with very little ability in making games. ME: Andromeda itself was always a secondary priority for them and the actual fans of the series weren't even an after thought.

Bungie have gone from a draconian publisher to a ruthless and remorseless publisher, all in the name of greed (They claim they didn't want to do Halo anymore, so went to EA to make an online only re-skinned Halo game). Any developer playing with EA is on borrowed time.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

Bioware started strong, and have been on a steady decline since Baldurs Gate 2.

If Anthem is a crap Destiny clone, Bioware's closure would not be a great loss to the industry.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I don't want them to go out of business, but they haven't been "the old Bioware" in a long time. I will say that DA:I could have been great if they'd had their heads on straighter - so I have been holding out the hope that the next DA would take into account feedback to tighten it up a ton and make the deep combat system actually part of the game (instead of something that is there but wholly unnecessary)

Bioware got lightning in a bottle with Inquisition because it was dubbed a Skyrim type game. Skyrim is 7 years old now and Anthem has to stand on it's own merits instead of hoping they can cash in on a Destiny type game which by the way was dubbed as Destiny killer.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Not sure why people think this studio is anything but a brand name at this point. The Mass Effect trilogy was the last good thing they'll ever make.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It will be sad to see them go. They used to be great.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

They are dead then, doesn't matter if game is good, gaming community shits all over EA games and will shit all over this even if it's awesome, then they'll blame it on EA for killing the studio.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

This could be good remember squaresoft final game was Final Fantasy and it sold millions and was a big hit on the NES.

So this could be a great bioware swan song that hits it big an saves bioware.