Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/10/30/ea-project-atlas-engine-game-streaming/?__twitter_impression=true

"When we talk about cloud gaming, we're referring to a game that resides on an EA server rather than on the gamer's PC or mobile device. The gamer enters the game by installing a thin client that can access EA's servers where the games are running. We've been developing software that utilizes the cloud to remotely process and stream blockbuster, multiplayer HD games with the lowest possible latency, and also to unlock even more possibilities for dynamic social and cross-platform play."

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69470 Posts

Console and PC gaming days are numbered. :)

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Another service nobody wants or asked for.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

EA!!!!!!??????? LMAO

"Stream blockbuster multiplayer games." LMAO

This is much worse than when Google announced Stadia.

????????

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

Hopefully this is massive blunder for them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I wouldn't mind the option to play Origin Access games on cloud if I wanted, just like I'd like if all Game Pass games came with cloud options.

I don't see this being a battle on consoles, but more on PC, and all going after mobile phone market, cause Play Store/App Store just aren't the best places for non-mobile games.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Does anyone subscribe to EA or Origin Access? If so, how do you folks feel about the value of the service, any good?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

I don't believe they will ever be able to reduce input lag to the levels of a direct console/PC connection and imo it just isn't going to work for the vast majority of games.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Pedro said:

Console and PC gaming days are numbered. :)

Stream gaming = "compressed pixels".

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

There is no streaming war.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

LOL @ Sony and PS Now. Cows don't get tired of saying how Sony did(not) it first and (not) the pioneer in cloud gaming yet every publication, every site, every analyst, every article ignores them for the very simple reason, it's shit tier and can't be considered when talking about Google, Amazon, MS etc.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

This reminds me of google entering gaming. After their "great" reveal I haven't heard a word about it. All interest died right away. Wonder what round two will be like.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 680 Posts

Companies are very excited that streaming is the future. I understand why, it prevents piracy and re sellling, must be online (which allows cmpanies to constantly expose you to their market place, promotions, publicity), can be sold as a suscription (which generates steady income for the company).

But as a consumer I dont really see the benefit. I loose ownership, i have to pay monthly (which prevents me from controlling my expenses), have to be constantly exposed to micro transactions and publicity (which breaks immersion). I mean all positive aspects for a company are negatives for me.

You can tell me its the future all you want, but why would I as a consumer accept these terms.

People compare it with movies, but movies are different, most people rented movies since before streaming. They never expected ownership, they were used to being exposed to advertisement, and most of all movies are considerably shorter than games, so consumer dont expect the same relation of hours of entertainment per dollar paid. Also people replay games much more than they re watch movies, because games can be different every time you play them.

From that point of view ownership for games is much more valuable than ownership of movies. Movies are more of a experience, games are more of a product.

Anyway, I dont know if they will succeed or not (I certainly hope they dont), but I do not see a lot of consumer excitement (outside of company's fans) for this kind of products.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Yeah I don't trust EA to do this at all.

MS and Google? Maybe (but not really). But EA? No.

This is like when you have two adults talking and then the little kid goes up and is like "Yeah, I can do that too" except instead of being cute and naive it's dumb and annoying.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

The only way that I would play my games via streaming is if there were no other options for physical format or digital download gaming.

SBan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SBan83
Member since 2019 • 119 Posts
@vfighter said:

Another service nobody wants or asked for.

What ignorance! Just cause you didn't ask for it means no one asked for it? Do you have any idea how many people would like to play games without putting down money for a console or PC? Being able to play games as as a service with cutting edge graphics without plonking down cash for pricey hardware may not be appealing to you but it is to many others.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

It will be a race to the bottom with these services, just as we see with the netflix clones.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

@mandzilla: i did for a few months to play anthem. It works great and has a ton of games. younger me that had a billion hours to play game would love it, as there a lot of good( not great)games on it. Older me that have to prioritize what games to spend time on, didn’t find enough value. Mainly because anthem unfortunately was a dud, and have no interest in their BF or SW no games.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts
@joebones5000 said:

So it's pretty clear we're getting a ps5 and a new xbox, so we'll be good for 10 more years of things the way they are now. After that, I just don't care.

I would say we're good until 2025 assuming the PS5 and Nextbox release holiday 2020. Steaming is coming but I have serious concerns about it. Mainly, I think it will shorten development time into more mini games and unfinished projects in order fit games into a smaller budget.

Who knows though. Maybe it will lower the barrier of entry for indie developers and cause an increase of options.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Raining51

I feel like this isn't getting eough attention but I can't prove it...

Why won't they be the winner when all is said and done a on this front

They ahve the most native support, an install base, a lot of technological wizardry...

I don't know... it seems like a possibility to me all things considered.

EA the dark horse... at this point why not?

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts
@djoffer said:

@mandzilla: i did for a few months to play anthem. It works great and has a ton of games. younger me that had a billion hours to play game would love it, as there a lot of good( not great)games on it. Older me that have to prioritize what games to spend time on, didn’t find enough value. Mainly because anthem unfortunately was a dud, and have no interest in their BF or SW no games.

Oh okay I see, well that makes sense. Good value if you have the hours to get the most out of it. I know the feeling, have much less time for games or even Gamespot these days (so sorry for the slow reply!)

It was a shame Anthem didn't live up to the hype, 2019 is kinda hit and miss so far. Still, I love Star Wars games and have noticed they're adding a bunch to EA Access soon which is great. :D

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Raining51

Google is going to win, honestly.