DVD 2.0 to be released this year!!! (56k warning!!)

• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17469 Posts

Hey guys, i became curious about this format based on a post by another member, so i did a little research, and DVD 2.0 now renamed DVD-DL is slated for release this later this year!! Could this be the firmware update that the 360 got that was "nothing"?? i dunno....discuss...

http://www.dvdtown.com/messageboard/topic/7451/6/0

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/38204/97/

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts
Does it allow more storage?
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 navyguy21

Does it allow more storage?Koalakommander

yes, 24gigs

chansaet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 chansaet
Member since 2003 • 6281 Posts
so does this mean DVD movies would start using 2.0 (because normal DVD's work too on it) and as a result we can use upscaling DVDplayersand X360 to play HD movies?
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
lol, it uses a gimped cell to upscale.
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

[QUOTE="Koalakommander"]Does it allow more storage?navyguy21

yes, 24gigs

Really? I wonder why Microsoft didn't tell id,"Hey, the 360 will soon be supporting a new format that can hold more information!" when they complained about the need of a third disc and multiple disc royalty fees for Rage. :?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 navyguy21

so does this mean DVD movies would start using 2.0 (because normal DVD's work too on it) and as a result we can use upscaling DVDplayersand X360 to play HD movies?chansaet

yes, it it supports up to 960p, and a dvd upscaler to that resolution

groovdafied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 groovdafied
Member since 2005 • 5012 Posts

I never heard this news before...so am I understanding this correctly? There's a new update for the xbox360 that allwos the HD-DVD to work natively on the machine? Without the attachment?

A lil confused...

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

Hey guys, i became curious about this format based on a post by another member, so i did a little research, and DVD 2.0 now renamed DVD-DL is slated for release this later this year!! Could this be the firmware update that the 360 got that was "nothing"?? i dunno....discuss...

navyguy21

Wouldnt get too excited, from what I read it maxes out at 24GB, its call DVD Download because it comes with the SD version of the movie on the disk and will provide you with a HDi code to STREAM the HD verion of the movie.

In other words to keep DVD on life support you will need their upconverting player, the new DVD and a good internet connection. Not gonna do a thing for the 360 or dent movies studio push for Blu ray.

AlphaGamer469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AlphaGamer469
Member since 2008 • 1881 Posts
[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

Javy03

Wouldnt get too excited, from what I read it maxes out at 24GB, its call DVD Download because it comes with the SD version of the movie on the disk and will provide you with a HDi code to STREAM the HD verion of the movie.

In other words to keep DVD on life support you will need their upconverting player, the new DVD and a good internet connection. Not gonna do a thing for the 360 or dent movies studio push for Blu ray.

When in doubt and insecure, just speculate...

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Javy03

I never heard this news before...so am I understanding this correctly? There's a new update for the xbox360 that allwos the HD-DVD to work natively on the machine? Without the attachment?

A lil confused...

groovdafied

No there is Toshiba working on something for blu ray and patenting a new DVD DL logo. Nobody knows 100% what it does but supposedly it will allow for HD movies to be played off DVDs, however from what I read it will need the Internet to stream so the DVD still only has the SD version.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 navyguy21

A lil confused...

groovdafied

No, this is a new tech. thats is supported by all existing dvd players, dvd upconverters, and the new dvd-dl players, but only the dvd-dl players and upscalers can access the HD content because they are able to be updated via firmware. But the 360 had an update recently and no one knows what was for. so if this is releasing this year, it couldve been support for the new disc. we dont know really

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Javy03
[QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="navyguy21"]

AlphaGamer469

When in doubt and insecure, just speculate...

Are you referring to me. Thats actually pretty funny because if you actually new anything about this topic you would know its ALL speculation. Toshiba hasnt announced any solid details and all we have is speculation. I posted what one of the speculation figured would be the most likly scenerio. Now seeing the name change from DVD 2.0 to DVD Download, I have a strong feeling he is right.

I have no insecurities, I know Blu ray was gonna beat HD DVD and I am very sure it will remain the standard for HD content. Adding 4 layers to a dying DVD format is not gonna solve our problem when we have movies that fit on 50GB blu rays. Not to mention the fact these DVDs seem to need the internet.

When in doubt and insecure, just attack...

KinkInDaLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KinkInDaLink
Member since 2008 • 307 Posts
to be honest, who gives a damn about the movie aspect? If this allows larger storage for games, with just a firmware update for 360 this is big news, ps3's one advantage over 360 in blyray will be nullified(games wise).
chansaet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chansaet
[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

Javy03

that sounds like one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Do you know how long it would take to download a HD movie? If they do this this format will die in like a day. Why not downscale the HD movies when playing it in SD? I can play 720p movies on 480p on the X360. Is downscaling the 960p movie to 480p impossible to do or something?

P.S. I'm not bashing you but them if that is what they are going to do.

chansaet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chansaet

chansaet

that sounds like one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Do you know how long it would take to download a HD movie? If they do this this format will die in like a day. Why not downscale the HD movies when playing it in SD? I can play 720p movies on 480p on the X360. Is downscaling the 960p movie to 480p impossible to do or something?

IF they are trying to keep DVD on life support why not make it double sided. One side a SD version and the other side the DVD 2.0 simliar to what they did with 300

http://www.amazon.com/300-Combo-HD-DVD-Standard/dp/B000Q6GXW2

That would be alot cheaper than hosting a server where people download HD movies from.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

A lil confused...

groovdafied

No, this is a firmware update for ALL dvd players that have upgradeable firmware, AND support component out HD resolutions (such as upscaling dvd players and the xbox 360) and will allow upscaling and native 960p support for movies due to the larger size on the disc. This also would mean developers could make all these "multidisc" games on one disc now.

This also would mean, if true, that john carmacks statement about the ps3 having worse hardware and better storage, would no longer apply.... if true, but somehow seems too good to be possible.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Javy03

chansaet

I agree, its a dumb idea if this is what it turns out to be. The more and more I start to think the more and more I think this is less about DVD vs. Blu ray and more about HDi vs itunes. I think this is an alternative to those DVDs that offer the digital copy. This obviously couldnt impact Blu ray but it might impact those digital downloads that are coming free with movies.

AtrumRegina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AtrumRegina
Member since 2008 • 1584 Posts

Thanks TC...

In my thread I got bombarded with haters. Again , thank you.

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
if it allows more storage does that mean rage on one disc?
KinkInDaLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KinkInDaLink
Member since 2008 • 307 Posts
should do
BZSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BZSIN
Member since 2005 • 7889 Posts
960p? :lol: How many TVs support that resolution? Pretty pointless when it'll either be upscaled to 1080p or downscaled to 720p.
LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LibertySaint
[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

Javy03

but for game such as rage that means one disc.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

the technology isn't backwarards compatible with current DVD drives.

at least, that's my understanding of it. might be an inexpensive upgrade, but who knows. consoles don't do "upgrades" like that.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Javy03
[QUOTE="groovdafied"]

A lil confused...

Phazevariance

No, this is a firmware update for ALL dvd players that have upgradeable firmware, AND support component out HD resolutions (such as upscaling dvd players and the xbox 360) and will allow upscaling and native 960p support for movies due to the larger size on the disc. This also would mean developers could make all these "multidisc" games on one disc now.

This also would mean, if true, that john carmack said the ps3 has worse hardware and no logner has the advantage of super large disc space over the 360... if true, but somehow seems too good to be possible.

????? What? From what I read these disks will come with the SD movie and with internet connection and the right cables you will be able to stream the HD movie with the internet. I seriously doubt adding more layers will make this stable for 360 use. You also do realize that the reason the 360 and PS3s load times are simliar even though the 360s DVD drive is suppossed to be faster is because the games are on DVD9s which make the read time take a huge hit. Can you imagine the hit the load times would take if you added another layer to that. It wouldnt be pretty.

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LibertySaint
960p? :lol: How many TVs support that resolution? Pretty pointless when it'll either be upscaled to 1080p or downscaled to 720p.BZSIN
thats just the max it gets to genius, do u know what resolution are? it supports 720p which is just fine for alot of hdtv users and is great for the 360 because now it has a storage medium that can store more tnen 9gbs, now its over double.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Javy03

LibertySaint

Like I said before DVD read speeds take big hits when you add layers. DVD9 takes the very fast read speed of the 360s harddrive and makes it barely faster then the 2x Blu ray drive. Imagine what more layers would do to the loading.

AlphaGamer469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AlphaGamer469

at least, that's my understanding of it. might be an inexpensive upgrade, but who knows. consoles don't do "upgrades" like that.

Dreams-Visions

I trust your knowledge of the subject over the other naysayers trying to act like they know...

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LibertySaint

Dreams-Visions
from the article tho it seems system that already internet connectivity just need a firmware update.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Javy03
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

AlphaGamer469

I trust your knowledge of the subject over the other naysayers trying to act like they know...

No you just like him because he praises your system here and there.

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LibertySaint
[QUOTE="LibertySaint"][QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="navyguy21"]

Javy03

Like I said before DVD read speeds take big hits when you add layers. DVD9 takes the very fast read speed of the 360s harddrive and makes it barely faster then the 2x Blu ray drive. Imagine what more layers would do to the loading.

but with installs becoming something everyone uses, they can just install that data or cache it when it has the chance to.
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 killzowned24

you guys have it all wrong. it has no more space, show a link that says otherwise.

its just online connected dvds + the upscale that has zero proof if its any better then any other upscale dvd player.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 navyguy21

Javy03

i hate to admit it, but you are right, if true, this is both a solution for MS, and a new problem for 360 devs since there is sure harddrive for cache, i guess they'll be duplicating data like with blu-ray lol

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LibertySaint

you guys have it all wrong. it has no more space, show a link that says other wise.

its just online connected dvds + the upscale that has zero proof if its any better then any other upscale dvd player.

killzowned24
oh k, so what with that 24gb extra storage that one guy said... oh well.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Javy03
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

LibertySaint

from the article tho it seems system that already internet connectivity just need a firmware update.

The articles are all speculation, Toshiba has announced nothing and definatly havnt mention anything for the Xbox 360. The truth is we have no clue if they do have a 24GB DVD, thats all a rumor. All we know is that they changed DVD 2.0 to DVD DL and if they plan to use the internet to download HD movies its most likly because the disk isnt 24GB big.

AlphaGamer469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AlphaGamer469
[QUOTE="AlphaGamer469"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Javy03

No you just like him because he praises your system here and there.

What you bitter because he isn't a blind fanboy like you?

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Javy03

but with installs becoming something everyone uses, they can just install that data or cache it when it has the chance to.LibertySaint

Installs is something PS3 games use because they have a standard HDD and large ones. THe 360 doesnt have that and their most popular model is 20GB large. It would have to be an optional HDD install and if its optional the devs cant depend on an install to help their game out drastically because not all gamers will opt to install.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 killzowned24
[QUOTE="killzowned24"]

you guys have it all wrong. it has no more space, show a link that says other wise.

LibertySaint

Where is the link?

munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts
Yay! vaporware...
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 navyguy21
[QUOTE="LibertySaint"][QUOTE="killzowned24"]

killzowned24

Where is the link?

http://www.eproductwars.com/reportcontent.cfm?iscomment=true&ID=61907

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Javy03

What you bitter because he isn't a blind fanboy like you?

AlphaGamer469

LOL...I never made any negative comment in this thread about the 360, but stayed on topic which was peoples interpretation of the speculation behind DVD DL. You are the one who found the need to attack and add nothing to the topic but insults. Yet I am the fanboy, LOL.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
[QUOTE="LibertySaint"][QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="navyguy21"]

Javy03

No, they have a new technology to help fight crossreads, which is the major cause of slowdowns. Meaning they can maintain the speed at a higher rate than without that tech. Still, I could care less about the HD features as opposed to the fact that mutli disc games can be on one disc now.

agentzero23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 agentzero23
Member since 2008 • 921 Posts

500 GB Blu-Ray disk says high:)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10007133-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

copy and paste link

AlphaGamer469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AlphaGamer469

copy and paste link

agentzero23

or just hit the spacebar after the link...

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

copy and paste link

agentzero23

Cool. With the PS3's 2x read speed this should work out well.

AlphaGamer469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AlphaGamer469

No, they have a new technology to help fight crossreads, which is the major cause of slowdowns. Meaning they can maintain the speed at a higher rate than without that tech. Still, I could care less about the HD features as opposed to the fact that mutli disc games can be on one disc now.

Phazevariance

See now, we have a winner. You'll have the faster speeds (hence no installs,) combined with increased disc space( ceasing the cows lame 'I don't like to disc swap' argument.) I guess this just means cows will have to revert into making up RROD stories again...

-Master_St3ve-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 -Master_St3ve-
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts

This is very interesting. I've never herd of this before. Glad you brought it up.

munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts
[QUOTE="agentzero23"]

copy and paste link

xsubtownerx

Cool. With the PS3's 2x read speed this should work out well.

I know, and this DVD 2.0 should work out just as well as their HD-DVD drive did.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
If people are hyping this as some Blu-ray killer, it's going to need some actual support from studios and more than a few odd websights mentioning that plans MAY be in motion for this.