Downloaded games should/do count now

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 stiltzsy
Member since 2008 • 1486 Posts

Get over it fanboys...Downloaded games count in considering a gaming systems games. It helps one make a buying decision. It's not like anyone is saying downloaded games aren't fun.

To believe downloaded games are any different than full disk games you'd have to believe that the 3 disks that make up blue dragon make it a better game than any other AAA game on a single disk. Because when comparing a game like blue dragon which is on 3 disks there is no way a single disk game can compete, so it's unfair to saddle a single disk game with competing with the likes of Blue Dragon.

Also you have to believe that if a game comes out for download as the first way to get it then when/if it comes out a disk, then and only then is it worth talking about in SW game metrics.

You have to believe that when a game is reviewed the price isn't taken into consideration. So that a game like KZ2 if it costs $100 it would still be AAA and a game like Braid if it was $50 it would still be AAA. Reviews consider the cost of the game and that's why Downloaded game count in review score totals. Heavenly sword was dinged because of the length of gameplay...had heavenly sword been sold on the cheap at launch then it could have gotten AAA and counted toward the game counts (but then by the DL not counting logic it would mean it shouldn't count since it's not a $50+ game). Speaking of which what does Banjo Nuts and Bolts count as? It was sold at below normal full game price when it luanched...$39 I believe. So is it 1/2 retail and 1/2 download?

We are here because we love games any great game is a great game that should count.

From here on Downloaded games count (which they really always have it's just some fanboys didn't want to give up ownage to the other guys for some AAA downloaded games).

Edit: You also have to believe that systems like OnLive (if ever released) won't count at SW because it's not on a disc.

Edit 2: Classic games available for download do count when/if they get reviewed under today's standards which do take cost into consideration so yes that's fair.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts
If DL games count then ps3 win with just the PS1 classic section alone.
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 stiltzsy
If DL games count then ps3 win with just the PS1 classic section alone.RTUUMM
Yep, once they re-review those games by today's standards and give them AAA status then you are correct.
pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts
You're forgetting about Virtual Console.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#5 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49605 Posts
I see you're not familiar with the Wii's VC list of titles.
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 stiltzsy
Looks like I"m going to have to edit the first post to explain this to all..those games will cont when/if they get re-reviewed under today's standards.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#7 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Picture this: what if the only good game on 360 was Geometry Wars 2, and the only good game on PS3 was Infamous? Would the 360's library be just as good as the PS3's, since Geometry Wars has the same score as Infamous?
big_orc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 big_orc
Member since 2003 • 1158 Posts

I totally agree, expansions and such should count as well. I was very susprised when gamespot didnt review the GTA DLC, i mean they have reviewed every other expansion and the TLAD added over 20 hours of gameplay. If it wasnt for GS retarded rules it would have been a AAAE. They leave out the GTA expansion but review every other expansion till TLAD was released. SOunds more cowspot.

stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 stiltzsy
Picture this: what if the only good game on 360 was Geometry Wars 2, and the only good game on PS3 was Infamous? Would the 360's library be just as good as the PS3's, since Geometry Wars has the same score as Infamous?Cherokee_Jack
Ok, consider this...Geometry wars costs $5 and Infamous costs $200...would 360 be the better console because it has cheaper AAA games? See how that works. When counting games...AAA is what counts not the cost because that was already factored into the review. In that case if the Tony Hawk game with expensive controller gets AAA I guess that means it's teh best game in the world by SW logic.
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 stiltzsy

I totally agree, expansions and such should count as well. I was very susprised when gamespot didnt review the GTA DLC, i mean they have reviewed every other expansion and the TLAD added over 20 hours of gameplay. If it wasnt for GS retarded rules it would have been a AAAE. They leave out the GTA expansion but review every other expansion till TLAD was released. SOunds more cowspot.

big_orc
Yep, and what happens when TLAD comes out on disk? Will they review it and say...this is an old game that if you downloaded it already you won't need this version at all...6.0 score? It really is unfair what they did here, but I don't think they did it to give sony an edge...they are just stupid like that.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cherokee_Jack
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]Picture this: what if the only good game on 360 was Geometry Wars 2, and the only good game on PS3 was Infamous? Would the 360's library be just as good as the PS3's, since Geometry Wars has the same score as Infamous?stiltzsy
Ok, consider this...Geometry wars costs $5 and Infamous costs $200...would 360 be the better console because it has cheaper AAA games? See how that works. When counting games...AAA is what counts not the cost because that was already factored into the review. In that case if the Tony Hawk game with expensive controller gets AAA I guess that means it's teh best game in the world by SW logic.

I wasn't referring to cost, and you didn't answer my question.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

The PSP GO will only use downloadable games, so yes it has to count.

SeanDiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 SeanDiff
Member since 2007 • 933 Posts

Downloadable games should count when it is a full game, i.e just like a disc based game but released on PSN instead, for the price of a full game.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Picture this: what if the only good game on 360 was Geometry Wars 2, and the only good game on PS3 was Infamous? Would the 360's library be just as good as the PS3's, since Geometry Wars has the same score as Infamous?Cherokee_Jack
My arguement to that would be that the two games are not comparable because they are a completely different genre.

stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 stiltzsy
[QUOTE="stiltzsy"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]Picture this: what if the only good game on 360 was Geometry Wars 2, and the only good game on PS3 was Infamous? Would the 360's library be just as good as the PS3's, since Geometry Wars has the same score as Infamous?Cherokee_Jack

I wasn't referring to cost, and you didn't answer my question.

But I am referring to cost and you didn't answer my question. And I did answer your question...AAA games are AAA games so if 360 has 1 AAA and PS3 has 1 AAA then they are tied in AAA games. Now if GS didn't take cost/value into consideration when determining game scores then this would be broken. But since they do every AAA is worth the same in gameplay VALUE as the next.
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 stiltzsy

Downloadable games should count when it is a full game, i.e just like a disc based game but released on PSN instead, for the price of a full game.

SeanDiff
What does price have to do with it? I paid full price for Braid and Portal and have had a lot of fun with those AAA games.
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
Yes, it would.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#19 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Let's just keep it simple.
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
ya u right they should count bur they get rated differently so their hard to count
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 stiltzsy
Let's just keep it simple.siLVURcross
Agreed. All games count. It doesn't get any easier than that.
SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
agreed. especially when FF7 makes it to the US PSN store.
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 stiltzsy
ya u right they should count bur they get rated differently so their hard to countmurat8
So how do we count Banjo Kazooie Nuts and bolts? it was sold at a cheaper price than Halo3. Fact is GS takes this into consideration when reviewing games so in the end the score is what counts becuase it already has cost, replay value, production value, graphics, gameplay, etc... already factored in. Why is it we think it does't count when GS has said the game is AAA.
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
They're reviewed by a different standard, doesn't matter how hard or how much time you spend trying to twist this, that's just how it is.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#25 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]Let's just keep it simple.stiltzsy

I didn't say to count downloadable games...I meant keeping it simple by not arguing about such a fickle matter and keeping to the rules of SW as it is.
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
[QUOTE="murat8"]ya u right they should count bur they get rated differently so their hard to countstiltzsy
So how do we count Banjo Kazooie Nuts and bolts? it was sold at a cheaper price than Halo3. Fact is GS takes this into consideration when reviewing games so in the end the score is what counts becuase it already has cost, replay value, production value, graphics, gameplay, etc... already factored in. Why is it we think it does't count when GS has said the game is AAA.

hum you are right again they should be rated the same cuz even when they look graphically bad compared to retail games the price is a lot smaller so they should still be rated the same with price counted in
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cherokee_Jack
Now if GS didn't take cost/value into consideration when determining game scores then this would be broken. But since they do every AAA is worth the same in gameplay VALUE as the next.stiltzsy
Really? Is that part of GS' review policy?
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 stiltzsy
They're reviewed by a different standard, doesn't matter how hard or how much time you spend trying to twist this, that's just how it is. Brainkiller05
All games are reviewed by a different standard then, so no games count. If KZ2 was a launch game it would have scrored higher. As time moves on standards change, what was a breakthrough yesterday is old news today. So I guess the latest AAA game is the only one that counts. No matter how you try to twist it...downloaded games are games and they do count. It's not like they are movies and we are trying to count the AAA bluray movies as an exclusive.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#29 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49605 Posts
This is typical, once a PSN game comes out that attains AA or AAA status, there's a cry for it that it should be counted exclusive and be counted amongst the rest of PS3 games, and then there's opposition from the other fanboys saying it doesn't count. But once an AA or AAA comes to their platform (Wiiware or XBLA) they're quick to rush to count download games. *sigh*
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 stiltzsy
[QUOTE="stiltzsy"][QUOTE="siLVURcross"]Let's just keep it simple.siLVURcross

I didn't say to count downloadable games...I meant keeping it simple by not arguing about such a fickle matter and keeping to the rules of SW as it is.

But the rules are broken now...games are moving to an online distribution method and media will be phased out. Why do we want to keep rules that would work in 1990 to the games of 2010?
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 stiltzsy
[QUOTE="stiltzsy"]Now if GS didn't take cost/value into consideration when determining game scores then this would be broken. But since they do every AAA is worth the same in gameplay VALUE as the next.Cherokee_Jack

Yes, just read the reviews. In fact, BRAID almost got dinged for costing too much but they said it was such a great game it made up for it. Orange Box scored as high as it did because it had so much content (even though some are old).
CaptainHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 CaptainHarley
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

im not really following why vc/ps1 games etc would count since thats a lot like counting ps2 or xbox originals game towards the ps3/wii/xbox 360s counts. but i could care less either way. the idea that downloadable games dont count is pretty silly. games are already graded differently anyway (do you really think ds games are getting put to the same expectations as ps3 games?).

stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 stiltzsy

im not really following why vc/ps1 games etc would count since thats a lot like counting ps2 or xbox originals game towards the ps3/wii/xbox 360s counts. but i could care less either way. the idea that downloadable games dont count is pretty silly. games are already graded differently anyway (do you really think ds games are getting put to the same expectations as ps3 games?).

CaptainHarley
They count ONLY if they get re-reviewed under the current standards.
finesse-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 finesse-gamer
Member since 2009 • 946 Posts

no.

maybe we can compare downloadable games in a seperate list, but them being part of full games lists is misleading.

stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 stiltzsy
[QUOTE="finesse-gamer"]

no.

maybe we can compare downloadable games in a seperate list, but them being part of full games lists is misleading.

So what happens when a game is downloadable AND on disk? Does it go in both lists.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cherokee_Jack
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="stiltzsy"]Now if GS didn't take cost/value into consideration when determining game scores then this would be broken. But since they do every AAA is worth the same in gameplay VALUE as the next.stiltzsy

Yes, just read the reviews. In fact, BRAID almost got dinged for costing too much but they said it was such a great game it made up for it. Orange Box scored as high as it did because it had so much content (even though some are old).

But, you forget that not all games are judged on the same standards. Value is taken into consideration, but that doesn't mean you can directly compare a retail AAA to a downloadable AAA.
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 stiltzsy

[QUOTE="stiltzsy"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"] Really? Is that part of GS' review policy?Cherokee_Jack

But, you forget that not all games are judged on the same standards. Value is taken into consideration, but that doesn't mean you can directly compare a retail AAA to a downloadable AAA.

Well if you're talking directly comparing you can't directly compare PD0 to KZ2 now can you? So let's throw all games out except for any game scores in teh last month or two.

And then there's games like BK:N&B. That game retails at under $40...so how do you directly compare that to a Halo3?

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

If they don't cound why do GTA and Fallout DLCs gets constantly listed?

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="stiltzsy"] Yes, just read the reviews. In fact, BRAID almost got dinged for costing too much but they said it was such a great game it made up for it. Orange Box scored as high as it did because it had so much content (even though some are old).stiltzsy

Well if you're talking directly comparing you can't directly compare PD0 to KZ2 now can you? So let's throw all games out except for any game scores in teh last month or two.

And then there's games like BK:N&B. That game retails at under $40...so how do you directly compare that to a Halo3?

The PS3's standards are very similar to the 360's, and Banjo wasn't reviewed by different standards than other retail 360 games simply because it was cheaper than the average game.
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts

gago-gago
No they don't, because it's downloading full fledged games, it's different.
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 stiltzsy
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="stiltzsy"]

But, you forget that not all games are judged on the same standards. Value is taken into consideration, but that doesn't mean you can directly compare a retail AAA to a downloadable AAA.Cherokee_Jack

The PS3's standards are very similar to the 360's, and Banjo wasn't reviewed by different standards than other retail 360 games simply because it was cheaper than the average game.

Yes it was reviewed based on the cheaper cost...that was considered in the score therefore it was a different standard. Where is your proof that the standards for PD0 was the same standard used to review KZ2?
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 stiltzsy
[QUOTE="bleehum"][QUOTE="gago-gago"]

So braid isn't a full fledged game? Or what about a game like Peggle? What makes a full fledged game?
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="stiltzsy"] Well if you're talking directly comparing you can't directly compare PD0 to KZ2 now can you? So let's throw all games out except for any game scores in teh last month or two.

stiltzsy

Yes it was reviewed based on the cheaper cost...that was considered in the score therefore it was a different standard. Where is your proof that the standards for PD0 was the same standard used to review KZ2?

I didn't say it was the *same* standard. I said it was a very similar standard. It should be obvious why that is.

finesse-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 finesse-gamer

[QUOTE="finesse-gamer"]

no.

stiltzsy

So what happens when a game is downloadable AND on disk? Does it go in both lists.

i think it would depend on the price and weather or not it's a "full" game for lack of a better word... a game like warhawk should be counted because it was 40 bucks when it came out and had the content to make it worth the price tag.

compilation discs shouldn't count (that includes sega genesis, XBLAcompilations etc.)

I also think we as a gaming community can play it by ear when a game is released and decide then if a game on both disc and downloadable form should be counted as a "full" game or "arcade" game.

stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 stiltzsy

[QUOTE="stiltzsy"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"] The PS3's standards are very similar to the 360's, and Banjo wasn't reviewed by different standards than other retail 360 games simply because it was cheaper than the average game.Cherokee_Jack

I didn't say it was the *same* standard. I said it was a very similar standard. It should be obvious why that is.

Ah so similar standards are what counts..then you should agree downloaded games count since they do have very similar standards with the only difference being that the value is different between the two...oh wait that is in the standard already so they are the same standard.
finesse-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 finesse-gamer

[QUOTE="bleehum"][QUOTE="gago-gago"]

stiltzsy

So braid isn't a full fledged game? Or what about a game like Peggle? What makes a full fledged game?

mostly the pricetag.

full psp games are what? 40 bucks when they come out? some are 30 as well. those are full games.

PSN games thatdebut at5-15 bucks are not.

stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 stiltzsy
[QUOTE="finesse-gamer"]

[QUOTE="stiltzsy"][QUOTE="finesse-gamer"]

no.

i think it would depend on the price and weather or not it's a "full" game for lack of a better word... a game like warhawk should be counted because it was 40 bucks when it came out and had the content to make it worth the price tag.

compilation discs shouldn't count (that includes sega genesis, XBLAcompilations etc.)

I also think we as a gaming community can play it by ear when a game is released and decide then if a game on both disc and downloadable form should be counted as a "full" game or "arcade" game.

Play it by ear is a joke in SW...it mounts up to the following: DL game for PS3 for $20 gets AAA (Cows say it counts...Lems so no way). DL game for 360 for $15 gets AAA (Lems say it counts...cows say no way). There should be one logical standard and the only way to consistently apply it is to say ALL REVIEWED games count.
Avatar image for deactivated-59da85d821feb
deactivated-59da85d821feb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59da85d821feb
Member since 2006 • 2075 Posts
Eh... I would agree with you. But it would just be really complicated to choose what counts as DL games, and what doesn't. The PC has tons of DL games, and most don't get reviewed here. Same with the XBLA, but to a lesser extent. And we'd have to agree that remakes or VC doesn't count, because they aren't exclusive, and..... It would just cause a lot of arguments. The Lems were never allowed Braid, Castle Crashers and Geometry Wars 2 to count last year, so why should these games count now anyway?
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 stiltzsy

[QUOTE="stiltzsy"][QUOTE="bleehum"] No they don't, because it's downloading full fledged games, it's different. finesse-gamer

mostly the pricetag.

full psp games are what? 40 bucks when they come out? some are 30 as well. those are full games.

PSN games thatdebut at5-15 bucks are not.

But the GS review already takes price into consideration.
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 stiltzsy
Eh... I would agree with you. But it would just be really complicated to choose what counts as DL games, and what doesn't. The PC has tons of DL games, and most don't get reviewed here. Same with the XBLA, but to a lesser extent. And we'd have to agree that remakes or VC doesn't count, because they aren't exclusive, and..... It would just cause a lot of arguments. The Lems were never allowed Braid, Castle Crashers and Geometry Wars 2 to count last year, so why should these games count now anyway?comeonthehoops
I"m saying they should all count. I'm more lem than anything and I'm just saying all reviewed games should and do in fact count.